Options

Gigaton Album doesn’t Sound like Pearl Jam

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,461
    I honestly feel bad for those who are not enjoying this album. Wtf did you expect 30 years into their career? Oh well, I think it’s brilliant.  
    This is sort of where I am. Even if it only had three or four songs worth adding to the tour setlist, it would still be a successful album. I think it is much, much better than that. With nothing to do, I've been listening to the whole thing at least once a day as I walk around my block for exercise. It's an hour long, so that's a good enough little workout. Last night I sat on my back porch on a crystal clear night and listened to those final three songs under the stars and moon. Gave me chills.

So yeah, I pity the people who just don't ... feel the music the way I do. It's a very visceral thing that gets me right down to my bones. It's sort of like those people who aren't able to have an orgasm. It's not their fault, but you still feel sorry for them.
    Agreed! How many bands have had their careers skyrocket after putting out albums with 1-3 good songs on it? In the old days even as close back as the 60's bands would record a few original songs and then put a few covers on their new records and release them. Pear Jam has always been unfairly scrutinized this way. I remember people not liking Vitalogy because it had Bugs and HeyFoxymop! Never mind the 12 other classics that were on the record! 

After only a few listens of Gigaton I am blown away by about 7 or 8 of the songs and I'm sure the rest will grow on me. To me it could easily become my favorite since Yield. I can see several songs on Gigaton that could be concert staples. Some of these songs have such an airy concert hall sound that would be amazing live. 

Try to listen to some of the new songs that you are not sure of in a random order as sometimes we judge a song by the ones that are before and after it but if you hear a song randomly out of the blue by itself it can hit you much different. This has happened to me with Habit years ago. I never liked the song and then it randomly came on through my ipod one day working in the garage and became a great song! 
  • Options
    blackhawksblackhawks Posts: 307
    mwplum said:
    JF116983 said:
    After BS and LB he said he was done with PJ and went to U2 instead. He spent 400 bucks on U2 Gen Admin tix right after I know he would have spent that (and more) to see PJ but the lackluster albums did it for him - I can’t help but think many are starting to lose their patience with the band as well (what are the odds of me knowing the only one?) but those type don’t post here given all the diehards. 

U2?!! That’s the reference point? Talk about lacklustre. I saw them on the last tour, and yes they were good because they were relying on an album from 1987. I will be 40 this year, and that album came out when I was 7!

IMO, U2 hasn’t put out a good album in decades. And yet their ticket prices are sky-high. I was planing on doing 6 PJ shows this spring and would have been able too see all of them for the price of 1 ticket!

Anyways, I think PJ should be commended for keeping ticket prices low and for continuing to make fresh music this far into their career. It’s oft said, but our views on art are obviously subjective. Seems that this album is somewhat polarizing, but the majority on here seem to like it. I accept you don’t like it, but no need to go full-defence on your point.
    That is no lie.  Talk about milking the Achtung/Joshua tree tees to the bank.  They also put 2-3 good songs on up to HTDAAB.  after that pure trash in my book.  And I almost missed my HS graduation on the War tour to see them.
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    mwplum said:
    JF116983 said:
    After BS and LB he said he was done with PJ and went to U2 instead. He spent 400 bucks on U2 Gen Admin tix right after I know he would have spent that (and more) to see PJ but the lackluster albums did it for him - I can’t help but think many are starting to lose their patience with the band as well (what are the odds of me knowing the only one?) but those type don’t post here given all the diehards. 

U2?!! That’s the reference point? Talk about lacklustre. I saw them on the last tour, and yes they were good because they were relying on an album from 1987. I will be 40 this year, and that album came out when I was 7!

IMO, U2 hasn’t put out a good album in decades. And yet their ticket prices are sky-high. I was planing on doing 6 PJ shows this spring and would have been able too see all of them for the price of 1 ticket!

Anyways, I think PJ should be commended for keeping ticket prices low and for continuing to make fresh music this far into their career. It’s oft said, but our views on art are obviously subjective. Seems that this album is somewhat polarizing, but the majority on here seem to like it. I accept you don’t like it, but no need to go full-defence on your point.
    That is no lie.  Talk about milking the Achtung/Joshua tree tees to the bank.  They also put 2-3 good songs on up to HTDAAB.  after that pure trash in my book.  And I almost missed my HS graduation on the War tour to see them.
    I skipped my college graduation for Shinedown. Walk across a stage and shake someones hand that doesn’t really care or have an amazing time traveling and seeing an awesome show. It was an easy choice. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,025
    I liked the Batman Forever song.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    mwplum said:
    JF116983 said:

I've spent what seems like that long trying to delete the free one off my iPhone...  =)
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    blackhawksblackhawks Posts: 307
    I liked the Batman Forever song.
    That was performed well on the 360 tour during the encore.  I also enjoy that song.
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula