Options

Spring Tour Postponed - Letter from the Band

Comments

• Options
    MC185899 said:
    FUCK
    I agree. Stupid virus 
    it's so overblown. i just knew this was going to fuck things up. fuck. i hope my flight cost isn't down the drain. i never get to travel for this band. 
    Yeah gotta work on flights and hotels. It fit into my daughter schedule. Got GA in SD with my friend from LA. With all the talk I was concerned. This is just a major bummer. 
    i've been saying people's reaction to this is overblown since the beginning. not just because it fucks my pearl jam plans. i'm sick of everyone going apeshit over stuff like this. it's stupid. media driven BS. and all because that fucktard in the white house can't wipe his own ass, nevermind get a proper response ready. 

Our Government has not been transparent through this entire thing. It has been treated almost as a common cold both by the media and the government, "nothing huge to worry about." Yeah some are quarantined, but most of you will be fine.  Hence "Lack of clear messages from our government" in Ed's statement. How much do you personally know about the virus? Do you know anyone affected?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    JB29354 said:

I've been fortunate to have been a long time fan, joining the fan club in '98, only missing New England shows because of higher priority events, even after moving to Essentially Nowhere, New Hampshire 12 years ago.  While it has been disappointing to miss I think 2 shows since '08, I was going to make the call to head to Quebec next week, and was highly leaning toward not attending (98%) before this notice, and would not have made had a heavy heart in making this decision.  And this is despite going to Boston to see a show on 3/2. 

My wife happens to work at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, the site where a medical intern presented as the first case of Covid-19 in New Hampshire.  While this person was asked to self-isolate after returning from Italy, s/he (I'm really trying to be generous here, but details are out there) chose to attend an event and became the link to the next case or 2 in NH.  This person should have known better, but selfishness or naivete got the better of this person.  I can tell you the staff is livid. Again, this is a person that should have been educated enough to follow recommendation and not attend public events.  I think we all know how the general population acts.

Most fans are going to want to go to a show regardless.  I mean, QC 2016 was one of my favorite shows, and I have GA again. This is certainly a case where, until things personally affect you, the typical person will act as if nothing is wrong (Purell hoarding aside...). One always has a decision to make, whether it be the selfish one or the altruistic one.  

Here's my worst case.  I go to Quebec with 20,000 other fans, where even at this time I suspect someone is a carrier.  Even though I choose to stand at the back of the GA section, arriving at 8:30, and leaving before the lights go out, I would still be in the vicinity of 500 people.  If I can then get back across the border without quarantine, if I am a carrier, I am less concerned about my wife and kids, because we are generally healthy, than I am with any interaction with my in-laws, who have health problems.  If I were a carrier I can guarantee that one of then has a >30% chance of dying from this.  I don't really want that on my conscience, hence my gravitation toward eating the ticket.

I honestly did not expect a call on postponement to be made until the end of the week, and even then I thought cancellations in select cities (NYC in particular) may still have been on the table.  While my costs are negligible compared to others traveling this tour, everyone needs to look at the bigger picture.  There are still a lot of unknown unknowns with the spread of this virus.  While it may very well be tapering in China, there currently is no way to tell what each generation of mutations may yield.  Concerts/sports events are the easiest mechanism to spreading this virus further afield.  I have seen enough through unofficial channels to state that Pearl Jam has made the right call, as difficult as it may have been for them.

There is still a chance that the medical system becomes overburdened by this virus. I read one tweetstorm showing how easily every available bed could be filled because of the virus, on top of current medical needs.  Removing one possible source of vectors really is only a small step in containment.  Small individual steps (soap!) help just the same, and while this source of so much joy has been taken away, we all have an album to help get us through.  Stay well out there.

this is a very good point. thanks for that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    coreypjfancoreypjfan Posts: 82
    edited March 2020
    MC185899 said:
    FUCK
    I agree. Stupid virus 
    it's so overblown. i just knew this was going to fuck things up. fuck. i hope my flight cost isn't down the drain. i never get to travel for this band. 
    Yeah gotta work on flights and hotels. It fit into my daughter schedule. Got GA in SD with my friend from LA. With all the talk I was concerned. This is just a major bummer. 
    i've been saying people's reaction to this is overblown since the beginning. not just because it fucks my pearl jam plans. i'm sick of everyone going apeshit over stuff like this. it's stupid. media driven BS. and all because that fucktard in the white house can't wipe his own ass, nevermind get a proper response ready. 

Our Government has not been transparent through this entire process. It has been treated almost as if it's a common cold, both by the media and the government, "nothing huge to worry about." Yeah, "some are quarantined, but most of you will be fine." Hence "Lack of clear messages from our government" in Ed's statement. How much do you personally know about the virus? Do you know anyone affected?
    Post edited by coreypjfan on
  • Options
    Jport said:
    I understand your decision but it's just the flu.
    Seriously this is so out of control.  Remember y2k? SARS? Bird flu? Swine flu? Mad cow disease? Every doctor I speak with says this is not the epidemic the media is portraying. I’m so sad I won’t be spending my birthday with PJ. Flights, hotel, flight for my mom to watch the kids. . . Booooo. I love you guys but this is really lame. 
  • Options
    Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 3,957
    SS105464 said:
    The biggest virus in this thread is Trump Derangement Syndrome.  The current government task force includes CDC virologist and Director, Robert Redfield, and Anthony Fauci, a top immunologist.  It is beyond pathetic that people here are bringing politics into this and blaming the President for a worldwide pandemic.  I suppose I better not call this the "Wuhan Virus" or I will be labelled a "racist" and Xenophobe!  
    Jesus Christ, read the room you selfish turd blossom.

THE BAND MADE THE RIGHT CALL.

THE CURRENT ADMINISTRATION WAS NOT PREPARED FOR THIS.

Take a seat, have a Snapple, and go find a new band to like. 
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, all of Vitalogy or Satan's Bed, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways (full band), You Are, Bu$hleaguer, Inside Job, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Of The Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Comfortably Numb, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!

• Options
    SS105464SS105464 Posts: 29
    Saltzy23 said:
    SS105464 said:
    JimmyV said:
    This really isn't an incorrect statement:

"It certainly hasn’t helped that there’s been no clear messages from our government regarding people’s safety and our ability to go to work. Having no examples of our national health department’s ability to get ahead of this, we have no reason to believe that it will be under control in the coming weeks ahead."

There is no clear message from OUR government nor from any other government in any other country in the world.  No one knows enough about how this virus spreads and how to quickly diagnose people who contract it.  To point fingers at our government at this stage is absurd.  Should the people of Italy revolt because their government failed to stop a huge spread of the disease?  Putting blame really shows how divided the U.S. is, and that so many people are letting politics ruin one of the best countries in the world.  I don't know if this world will ever recover from all the hate that is generated daily.
    Maybe if the fucking POTUS didn't lie or exaggerate about fucking EVERYTHING people would cut him a little slack.

This is what happens when you choose to bullshit nonstop, alienate everyone in the goddamn country that doesn't support you for 3 years, and call anyone that has the audacity to say anything negative about you "fake news" 

When shit like this happens, no one is willing to give you one shred of one doubt.

He has done this all to himself.
    Huh?  So you probably think we would be better off with Hillary? LMFAO.....Again, why make this a political issue when it's a health issue?  Do you really believe that the President wants this to spread nationwide and have Americans die?  Can you be that ignorant?  BTW, half of this country is not alienated by this President.
  • Options
    MC185899 said:
    FUCK
    I agree. Stupid virus 

I don’t understand this.  What did our government get wrong?  Travel to China was stopped back in January when people like you were saying it was “racist” to do that.  

I can only imagine how much worse things would have gotten without that move.  What more do you want?  Our government has done fine.  Let’s put the blame where it belongs: China. 
    please explain to me what people "like me" were saying? i'd love to hear it. i'm really not sure what that means.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    MC185899MC185899 Posts: 76
    edited March 2020
    post deleted
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    Go Animal said:
    SS105464 said:
    The biggest virus in this thread is Trump Derangement Syndrome.  The current government task force includes CDC virologist and Director, Robert Redfield, and Anthony Fauci, a top immunologist.  It is beyond pathetic that people here are bringing politics into this and blaming the President for a worldwide pandemic.  I suppose I better not call this the "Wuhan Virus" or I will be labelled a "racist" and Xenophobe!  

Bottom line: "THE BAND MADE TGE RIGHT CALL." 

Have a joint instead.
  • Options
    Go Animal said:
    SS105464 said:

So who WAS prepared for this?  China?  Korea?  Italy?  Who? How do you prepare for a global pandemic?  Stopping flights to and from China in January was a brilliant move and probably saved a lot of lives.  There was a lot of criticism for that move at the time.  I’m not sure what else could have been done. 
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    SS105464 said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    SS105464 said:
    JimmyV said:

"It certainly hasn’t helped that there’s been no clear messages from our government regarding people’s safety and our ability to go to work. Having no examples of our national health department’s ability to get ahead of this, we have no reason to believe that it will be under control in the coming weeks ahead."

There is no clear message from OUR government nor from any other government in any other country in the world.  No one knows enough about how this virus spreads and how to quickly diagnose people who contract it.  To point fingers at our government at this stage is absurd.  Should the people of Italy revolt because their government failed to stop a huge spread of the disease?  Putting blame really shows how divided the U.S. is, and that so many people are letting politics ruin one of the best countries in the world.  I don't know if this world will ever recover from all the hate that is generated daily.
    Maybe if the fucking POTUS didn't lie or exaggerate about fucking EVERYTHING people would cut him a little slack.

This is what happens when you choose to bullshit nonstop, alienate everyone in the goddamn country that doesn't support you for 3 years, and call anyone that has the audacity to say anything negative about you "fake news" 

When shit like this happens, no one is willing to give you one shred of one doubt.

Huh?  So you probably think we would be better off with Hillary? LMFAO.....Again, why make this a political issue when it's a health issue?  Do you really believe that the President wants this to spread nationwide and have Americans die?  Can you be that ignorant?  BTW, half of this country is not alienated by this President.
    I don't think the president gives a rats ass about anyone but himself, and the only reason he cares about any of this is how it will impact his chances at reelection.

Actually scratch think.

I'm 100% positive that's the case.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    MC185899 said:
    FUCK
    I agree. Stupid virus 

I don’t understand this.  What did our government get wrong?  Travel to China was stopped back in January when people like you were saying it was “racist” to do that.  

I can only imagine how much worse things would have gotten without that move.  What more do you want?  Our government has done fine.  Let’s put the blame where it belongs: China. 
    please explain to me what people "like me" were saying? i'd love to hear it. i'm really not sure what that means.
    You know, the far left Bernie crowd.  The people
    saying “Wuhan Virus” is racist.  I’m sure the shoe
    fits. 
  • Options
    C D NC D N Posts: 29
    My own response deserves a post. 

Because government runs a.. 
    A..                                                Government for the people.       Sometimes,? Sometimes, Elected officials have never slept outside or seen a city by foot. 

Sounds, like the inside scoop has been released. All flight will be canceled shortly. However if the airlines don't honor a refund based on the public outcry. Then we have issues as people. Time to Wake up for them, instead of, putting us on! Time for the department of health and government, to issue Levy's on hazardous travel. It is in all our interests, for the day! 

I will get 70 shows out of the first leg. Have, the first four shows of the 1st leg upcoming. How, could I manage this beats the shit out of me. But I am was going and always will. 

Let the next week's and months carry out, the decision be excepted. 

I wish I was a forty,
    A forty foot right and left
    That rode us to shore
    That breaks the.
    the the the

Tidal wave of 
    The 

• Options
    GvntoflyGvntofly Posts: 73
    Much respect for the band to make this decision and I feel for all those that are impacted.  

I'm wondering if other bands will follow their steps.  I have tickets to see Tool on Saturday and it makes me question if it's worth going.  Of course I'll go because it's freaking Tool, although I would understand if they made the same decision.
    1995: Salt Lake City 1 & 2
    1998: Missoula
    2000: Boise
    2002: Seattle 1 & 2
    2003: Phoenix
    2004: Mountain View, CA (Bridge School)
    2005: The Gorge
    2006: Las Vegas, The Gorge
    2009: Seattle
    2013: Portland, Spokane, Seattle
    2014: Memphis
  • Options
    Jport said:
    I understand your decision but it's just the flu.
    For you or me, it is "just the flu".  But for those not in the age demo we are in or healthy like we are, miniming worldwide spread is crucial
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:
    It’s sad with some of the responses on here. The band made the right call. Some of you need to have your heads examined. It’s a concert, they will make it up. People’s safety should be #1. What happened to basic human compassion?
    Gone.  Some’s true colors are a lot...different...than what I thought. 
    anyone in particular? i see a couple wackos and some others who have differing opinions. 

i just personally believe this is very reactionary and unnecessary at this point in time. they made the call, it's fine, hopefully i can make the make up date. no need for such harsh character judgment. 
    Not biting on calling anyone out specifically.

But yeah, while I understand and feel disappointment, I don't get some of the over-the-top reactions and callousness.
    yeah, i suspected as much.

whenever something like this comes up, the Moral High Grounders climb up into their tower, watching, waiting, to pounce on any general idea, but no specific comment, so they can maintain innocence while still talking shit, clutching their superiority pearls so no one can see them. 

maybe not biting. but barking nonetheless. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Gvntofly said:
    Much respect for the band to make this decision and I feel for all those that are impacted.  

I'm wondering if other bands will follow their steps.  I have tickets to see Tool on Saturday and it makes me question if it's worth going.  Of course I'll go because it's freaking Tool, although I would understand if they made the same decision.
    Go see Tool.  Live your life.  I’m assuming you are under 70, so you will be just fine. People are
    massively overreacting to this shit.
  • Options
    PearlgardnPearlgardn Here, there, everywhere Posts: 14
    I have to say I am amazed at how many folks here are so butt-hurt and taking this announcement personally. “We are adults, let us make our own decisions”. “No shows were postponed during the HIV epidemic...” First, diseases like HIV and cancer are not airborn. As far as everyone being “adults”... one of the reasons for this whole coronavirus issue is so many supposed adults do not practice hygiene basics, like not covering their cough or washing hands.

Okay, what if the tour wasn’t postponed and went on as planned, with people assuming there was no danger of infection by being in close contact with several thousand strangers? And several hundred of those strangers became ill and many died, maybe even some who are posting in this very chat? Or, heaven forbid, one of the boys. Think for a moment what the response would be then. Anyone who says thats better than the inconvenience of changing reservations or rearranging plans is a damn liar. They would say how irresponsible the band was. No one can tell me that having a possibly life threatening illness is less convenient than having to change travel plans. If you think that hotel or airline isn’t going to allow you to change or cancel a reservation, you won’t know until you ask. Given the circumstances, they would be foolish not to afford some exceptions.

People are going to be upset no matter how this is handled. The band made the best and most responsible decision possible given the facts they have. With the number of patients who are ill and have passed away so far in Seattle alone, the decision was wise, understandable and thoughtful for the health and safety of all concerned: the fans, the band and everyone associated. Rest assured, the decision was not made lightly. 

Get over it, y’all. If you want to bitch about PJ’s philosophies or their personal standards, please do not do it here. Everyone is gutted about this; be the adults you claim to be and understand.
    "Tomorrow is not promised, make plans anyway." - Lin Manuel Miranda
  • Options
    All these people - "you made the right decision." Are you freaking kidding? Based on what? Some paranoid lunatics on CNN? This is absolute insanity. We never learn. Swine flu, ebola, bird flu, etc. Such a shame the band gave in to hysteria.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:
    It’s sad with some of the responses on here. The band made the right call. Some of you need to have your heads examined. It’s a concert, they will make it up. People’s safety should be #1. What happened to basic human compassion?
    Gone.  Some’s true colors are a lot...different...than what I thought. 
    anyone in particular? i see a couple wackos and some others who have differing opinions. 

i just personally believe this is very reactionary and unnecessary at this point in time. they made the call, it's fine, hopefully i can make the make up date. no need for such harsh character judgment. 
    Not biting on calling anyone out specifically.

But yeah, while I understand and feel disappointment, I don't get some of the over-the-top reactions and callousness.
    yeah, i suspected as much.

whenever something like this comes up, the Moral High Grounders climb up into their tower, watching, waiting, to pounce on any general idea, but no specific comment, so they can maintain innocence while still talking shit, clutching their superiority pearls so no one can see them. 

maybe not biting. but barking nonetheless. 
    I tried to answer nicely. Why offer up a dickish response?

Talk about character judgements. Hoo boy!
  • Options
    I have to say I am amazed at how many folks here are so butt-hurt and taking this announcement personally. “We are adults, let us make our own decisions”. “No shows were postponed during the HIV epidemic...” First, diseases like HIV and cancer are not airborn. As far as everyone being “adults”... one of the reasons for this whole coronavirus issue is so many supposed adults do not practice hygiene basics, like not covering their cough or washing hands.

Okay, what if the tour wasn’t postponed and went on as planned, with people assuming there was no danger of infection by being in close contact with several thousand strangers? And several hundred of those strangers became ill and many died, maybe even some who are posting in this very chat? Or, heaven forbid, one of the boys. Think for a moment what the response would be then. Anyone who says thats better than the inconvenience of changing reservations or rearranging plans is a damn liar. They would say how irresponsible the band was. No one can tell me that having a possibly life threatening illness is less convenient than having to change travel plans. If you think that hotel or airline isn’t going to allow you to change or cancel a reservation, you won’t know until you ask. Given the circumstances, they would be foolish not to afford some exceptions.

People are going to be upset no matter how this is handled. The band made the best and most responsible decision possible given the facts they have. With the number of patients who are ill and have passed away so far in Seattle alone, the decision was wise, understandable and thoughtful for the health and safety of all concerned: the fans, the band and everyone associated. Rest assured, the decision was not made lightly. 

Get over it, y’all. If you want to bitch about PJ’s philosophies or their personal standards, please do not do it here. Everyone is gutted about this; be the adults you claim to be and understand.
    What would we do if we didn't have you here to break it down via chapter and verse? Stay paranoid and barricaded in your bomb shelter. I think you already contracted something...hysteria.
  • Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 723
    SS105464 said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    SS105464 said:
    JimmyV said:

Politics is often life and death over varying time scales, you craven cheerleader.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    MC185899 said:
    Gvntofly said:

Go see Tool.  Live your life.  I’m assuming you are under 70, so you will be just fine. People are
    massively overreacting to this shit.
    This x 100000000
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    edited March 2020
    This board is about to go full on Defcon 1 toxic.

It's to be expected, but goddamn this sucks.

A few weeks from a new album and tour and this is where were at.

It's just sad.

Damn.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    SS105464 said:
    I am sorry but I am shocked at how well someone can get so many things wrong all in one singular post.  We need to do better as a fandom than posts like this
  • Options

All of this here. Thank you.

• Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,932
    Please take the name calling and personal attacks off the forum. Thank you

Please see the Posting Guidelines.
    1. Be nice. We're very big on RESPECT here. Respect for each other, the band and the Ten Club Community forum environment. Please think of it as if you are as a guest in someone else's home. Please do not put your posting privileges at risk.

2. Discuss, disagree and debate politely. It's possible to disagree with people without being abusive, and it's a requirement here. This includes abusive Private Messages

etc..

• Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    I find it amusing that a lot of the replies slamming the decision are from members with less than 100 posts. Mods, do your job, get rid of these trolls.

• Options
    Darth Lizard KingDarth Lizard King Posts: 76
    edited March 2020
    I bet all those F5 people feel like pud-tugging toolbags!
    Post edited by Darth Lizard King on
  • Options

“Please do not do it here”?!??  This is a goddamn Pearl Jam message board.  Do you have a better place in mind?
This discussion has been closed.