Options

CoVid19 Virus : Impact on PJ Spring & Summer Tours

Comments

• Options
    DoDaFooDoDaFoo Seattle, WA Posts: 247
    Saltzy23 said:
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/08/dow-futures-drop-700-points-as-all-out-oil-price-war-adds-to-coronavirus-stress.html?__source=iosappshare|com.apple.UIKit.activity.Message

I hope everyone is prepared to be broke tomorrow.

I have a feeling tomorrow is gonna be the worst day for the market so far.

Its gonna be a fucking blood bath.

Urgh.
    Tomorrow? I’m already broke today!
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,892
    DoDaFoo said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/08/dow-futures-drop-700-points-as-all-out-oil-price-war-adds-to-coronavirus-stress.html?__source=iosappshare|com.apple.UIKit.activity.Message

Urgh.
    Nowhere to go but up then!
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,503
    DoDaFoo said:
    Saltzy23 said:

Urgh.
    Me too... haven't worked in a month
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    Urgh.

If they cancel these shows after the amount of money a lot of us are about to lose, we might need to collectively jump off a bridge.

Seriously fellas.  Kinda need you right now.

Please play!
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 851
    First thing my colleagues asked me when I rocked up to work today-"How are you feeling?" With actual serious concern-I went to that Tool gig in Auckland. Didn't hit up a Super Rugby game on Saturday as my Dad's friends were actually a bit nervous about it! On the plus side the poster I picked up at the gig is now referred to as the coronavirus poster LOL.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,367
    Saltzy23 said:
    Urgh.

If they cancel these shows after the amount of money a lot of us are about to lose, we might need to collectively jump off a bridge.

Please play!

What money are we going to lose?  It's a paper loss until you sell your investments.  Market has always rebounded.   Unless the world ends it most likely will again.   As long as you have a well diversified portfolio you ride it out.   You only lose money when you sell into the panic.
  • Options
    Zod said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Urgh.

Please play!

What money are we going to lose?  It's a paper loss until you sell your investments.  Market has always rebounded.   Unless the world ends it most likely will again.   As long as you have a well diversified portfolio you ride it out.   You only lose money when you sell into the panic.
    That's all fine and cerebral, but you can't blame people who work hard to save who go into their retirement account and see that it's down X percent to feel like they've "lost." 
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,522
    Zod said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Urgh.

Please play!

That's all fine and cerebral, but you can't blame people who work hard to save who go into their retirement account and see that it's down X percent to feel like they've "lost." 
    But if you’re still saving for retirement you actually prefer the market to be down right now.  That means you are buying a greater volume of shares.  Think of it as going shopping while there is a sale at the store.  You wouldn’t be upset that a store lowered prices temporarily.  You would see it as an opportunity to stock up. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 723
    The worst impact of this disease won't be panic or  fatalities. It will be system shock, with far-reaching secondary effects as the healthcare system is taxed beyond capacity--eventually preventing or complicating treatment of day-to-day medical emergencies in addition to leaving those vulnerable to SARS-CoV2 with limited treatment options.

This situation is about more than whether you can weather this virus. Most can. The real issue is, for perhaps months on end, unrelated serious illness or injury could leave you in serious jeopardy when it otherwise wouldn't.

i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    I’ve got a feeling, a feeling deep inside ohh yeahh

Please quarantine me, I'd hate to miss the train
    Oh yeah, oh yeah.
    And if you vaccine me, I won't be late again
    Oh no, oh no, oh no.
    Yeah, I've got a feeling, yeah.

Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    sparky_frysparky_fry Posts: 760
    on2legs said:
    Zod said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Urgh.

Please play!

But if you’re still saving for retirement you actually prefer the market to be down right now.  That means you are buying a greater volume of shares.  Think of it as going shopping while there is a sale at the store.  You wouldn’t be upset that a store lowered prices temporarily.  You would see it as an opportunity to stock up. 

Not really. It's like if you have 100 dollars of credit with a store. The store has a sale but they take 20 percent of your 100 dollars first.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    on2legs said:
    Zod said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Urgh.

Please play!

Not really. It's like if you have 100 dollars of credit with a store. The store has a sale but they take 20 percent of your 100 dollars first.

Not if you’re still saving for retirement.  Because you’re not using retirement savings to buy more retirement savings.  You’re using new earnings to buy more retirement savings.  

I would love the stock market to tank for my whole working career so I could buy at low prices year after year.  
    Post edited by on2legs on
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,652
    Airline prospects are looking good.  Delta and Southwest sent emails this morning that “we’re going to use a stronger disinfectant and our planes have great air filters”
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Zod said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Urgh.

Please play!

I was given a nice sized retention bonus in early February that was 401k eligible. I don't really need the cash right now, so I made the tremendous decision to dump a lot of it into my 401k so I could clean up on the match and max out as early in the year as I could.

After today, that bonus is gonna essentially have never happened.

In the stocks on sale analogy, I went into a store and loaded the car up, only to drive by 2 weeks later and see that they were having a 25% off everything sale.

Fack....
    Post edited by Saltzy23 on
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    Zod said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Urgh.

Please play!

Yeah, thanks, but not everyone has cash on hand. If you listened to your financial advisor or are a retail investor who was all-in because "stocks only go up" then this is not a sale you can take advantage of. 
  • Options
    I will say that I have never been happier to work for a privately owned company with a bunch of cash in the bank.

This virus is gonna wind up costing a lot of people their jobs.

I'd be shitting a cow if I worked in the travel industry right now.
  • Options
    matt84matt84 Posts: 615
    From what I’ve heard from two friends who work for the NHS, it sounds to me like the UK will be on lockdown soon.
  • Options
    scotterbsscotterbs Posts: 32
    With NYC under a State of Emergency with no timeline to when it will be lifted when should we expect the postponement announcement? 
  • Options
    JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    scotterbs said:
    With NYC under a State of Emergency with no timeline to when it will be lifted when should we expect the postponement announcement? 
    Until they cancel other major events no need to think about it 
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,191
    Has there been absolutely NOTHING said from the organization regarding this? Listen, I'll be the first one to say that this thing could be a bit overblown, bit at least a statement?? something?? We plan to play NYC regardless, we will.postpones, stay tuned for future announcements...something??
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,271
    Has there been absolutely NOTHING said from the organization regarding this? Listen, I'll be the first one to say that this thing could be a bit overblown, bit at least a statement?? something?? We plan to play NYC regardless, we will.postpones, stay tuned for future announcements...something??
    they tweeted a few days ago only 11 days until the tour starts 'let's get this show on the road' so....take that for what it's worth
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,442
    It’s pretty clear the band wants to tour. Just look at their social media. What else is there to say? Either the administration/state government is gonna shut it down or they won’t. Nothing the band can do about it. 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    This is arguably their biggest tour year in 7 years and in support of a new album they've clearly worked hard on, and not just the music, but on marketing as well.  The only way they're cancelling shows Is if the city or venue cancels ALL of the shows/events for that city or venue.  

The Tour starts in 9 days.  Zac Brown Band, Billie Eilish, The Lumineers, March Madness, etc are all proceeding as planned.  Barring something drastic, get ready to see some shows.
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,096
    This is arguably their biggest tour year in 7 years and in support of a new album they've clearly worked hard on, and not just the music, but on marketing as well.  The only way they're cancelling shows Is if the city or venue cancels ALL of the shows/events for that city or venue.  

The Tour starts in 9 days.  Zac Brown Band, Billie Eilish, The Lumineers, March Madness, etc are all proceeding as planned.  Barring something drastic, get ready to see some shows.
    Right and all sporting events are going as planned.  NCAA basketball....NBA.....NHL.....lots of shit going on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,938
    They are all going as planned until they don't.  It's such a financial risk that nobody wants to be the 1st to pull the plug (no offense to the WTA). I fear that once one of the NBA/NHL/CBB does it, they all will.  

As others said, I don't think the band will postpone on their own at this point.  The decision would be directed by someone else (the venue/city/gov't).  
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,618
    I think the situation is in constant flux and is kind of unclear on where it will be a week from now.   

A week ago, I thought it was more likely that the upcoming shows would be cancelled/postponed.  Each day, the likelihood goes down, however, as said, the situation is always changing by the day.

Im not too worried about it.  If they cancel, they cancel.  I went through the Raleigh situation hours before my flight.  At least with this, I have had a few weeks of seeing it play out.  Whatever they decide, I respect the decision.   

• Options
    They are all going as planned until they don't.  It's such a financial risk that nobody wants to be the 1st to pull the plug (no offense to the WTA). I fear that once one of the NBA/NHL/CBB does it, they all will.  

As others said, I don't think the band will postpone on their own at this point.  The decision would be directed by someone else (the venue/city/gov't).  
    First already happened. SXSW cancelling cost Austin 350 million. That ain’t chump change for that city. They will feel that
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    JP218404 said:

First already happened. SXSW cancelling cost Austin 350 million. That ain’t chump change for that city. They will feel that
    Yes, two massive 50k+ festivals have been cancelled.  But I am trying to compare with events that are the same venues/size of a Pearl Jam concert (arenas about 20k).  None of those have been cancelled yet.  So when comparable events get cancelled, it'll be time to worry, but that hasn't happened yet.  SXSW and UltraFest are not comparable to the currently planned PJ shows.
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    Zod said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Urgh.

Please play!

Yeah, thanks, but not everyone has cash on hand. If you listened to your financial advisor or are a retail investor who was all-in because "stocks only go up" then this is not a sale you can take advantage of. 
    Unless you’re retiring tomorrow this is a paper loss only.  I don’t know how old you are but we went through the same thing in 2008.  I lost 35% of the value of my accounts but it came all the way back and has taken off from there.  I can’t stress enough to keep contributing consistently.  You will come out way ahead in the end. 

• Options
    JP218404 said:

Yes, two massive 50k+ festivals have been cancelled.  But I am trying to compare with events that are the same venues/size of a Pearl Jam concert (arenas about 20k).  None of those have been cancelled yet.  So when comparable events get cancelled, it'll be time to worry, but that hasn't happened yet.  SXSW and UltraFest are not comparable to the currently planned PJ shows.
    Oh totally agree until that happens everyone just go about their day or tell us if you’re dishing your tix so we can F5 that shit
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
This discussion has been closed.