Seat Confirmations - Week of Jan. 27

Comments

• gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,642
    edited January 2020
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    https://www.ticketnews.com/2020/01/pearl-jam-ticketing-predicament/
    Long, but very interesting if you keep an open mind. 
    Back in my day, scalping was illegal. Now it's pushed out the little guy scalper and made mega scalpers of stubhub, etc.

It should still be illegal.

Sucks that this guy has a business around something like reselling tickets, but I don't feel bad if his business suffers for this.  It should be illegal anyway. 
    Guess you didn't read it all... not condoning scalping myself, but one of his points is... what about the fan who wants to buy tickets even if price is > face? Don't tell me that some of you on here wouldn't pay extra to get in to a show you really want? 
    They can buy tickets for face value like everyone else on the 18th and beyond that missed out. Why should the rich be the closest and feed into the scalping market that takes away from real fans that wanted tix on the initial sales?
    Again... not condoning scamming people... but as article says, some of those who want to pay extra ARE real fans. Sometimes people can't get to regular sale time on computer, but why aren't they real fans? 
    I'm a real Springsteen fan, have seen 100 shows.. but I bought tickets for  Wrigley shows on Ebay... cause I wanted to go. 
    So pay face value on Feb 18th like everyone else.

This is not a hard concept. If people did not pay above face for tickets scalpers that did not intend to go to shows would not buy those tickets therefore leaving more tickets in real fans hands (again rich and poor) during the public sales. 
    1.  "Paying face value on Feb 18" is going to be near impossible FYI
    2.  I'll venture to guess the Springsteen show the poster wanted to go to never remotely had an opportunity to pay "face value"
    3.  Ticket scalpers have been around for decades & will continue to - simply because events that people aren't able to get tickets to and they want to go, they'll pay a premium to attend.
    Of course I couldn't get a face value gA for Springsteen at Wrigley or I wouldn't have gone to Ebay. 
    And saying... "buy it face value on the 18th like everybody else" IS my plan #PJNB.... seriously... you're clueless
    Post edited by gotthebottle on
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,538
    Serious question:

is anyone on this forum thinking about the big game Sunday? Or is it 24/7 PJ tickets and tour?
  • YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 839
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Companies control and create their own shortages to drive prices up.
    EXACTLY.  Diamonds are a perfect example. 
    Soldier Field 7-11-95, Alpine Valley 6-26-98, United Center 6-29-98, Riverport Amphitheater (St. Louis)7-2-98, MGM Grand Arena 10-22-00, Sprint Center (Kansas City)5-3-10, Adams Event Center (Missoula)9-30-12, Wrigley Field 7-19-13, Jobing.com Arena (Phoenix)11-19-13, Moda Center (Portland)11-29-13, Spokane Arena 11-30-13, Pepsi Center (Denver)10-22-14, Gila River Arena (Phoenix)5-9-22, Moody Center (Austin)9-18-23, Moody Center 9-19-23, Rogers Arena (Vancouver)5-4-24, Rogers Arena 5-6-24, MGM Grand 5-16-24, MGM Grand 5-18-24, Wrigley Field 8-29-24, Wrigley Field 8-31-24
  • Serious question:

is anyone on this forum thinking about the big game Sunday? Or is it 24/7 PJ tickets and tour?
    I like St Johns at home against Georgetown :)
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Gtilley8 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Back in my day, scalping was illegal. Now it's pushed out the little guy scalper and made mega scalpers of stubhub, etc.

Sucks that this guy has a business around something like reselling tickets, but I don't feel bad if his business suffers for this.  It should be illegal anyway. 
    Guess you didn't read it all... not condoning scalping myself, but one of his points is... what about the fan who wants to buy tickets even if price is > face? Don't tell me that some of you on here wouldn't pay extra to get in to a show you really want? 
    A system where a rich person can't just buy their way into the show?  Huh.  Sounds like they had to live by the same rules as everyone else.  Interesting concept.  And the "free market", "person who will pay more" argument is fucking stupid.  It makes the person making the argument look like a douchebag, and makes everyone agreeing with that person a fucking idiot.  You're one level below the girl with a dew rag on drawing numbers on hands in the GA line.  
    This sort of makes sense but I’m having a difficult time discerning how you really feel about this.  Can you elaborate?
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • YAKIMATSU said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    For sure companies do that.  But that is not this situation.  At least not at the individual show level.  They may intentionally tour sparingly so that there’s sufficient buzz when they do to get people interested to enter all these lotteries etc. at a hundred bucks a pop.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Saltzy23 said:
    kst said:
    Economics 101:  a shortage exists when demand exceeds supply at the given price.  The price must increase to where demand equals supply to eliminate the shortage.

If 20,000 people would pay up to $300 for a ticket, but the 20,001st person would not, $300 should be the price.

This is the market system.

However PJ prefers a shortage situation with access rights that are based on luck to a market system where those with less income are necessarily left out.  That is very much their brand and their values.  I’m not providing my opinion on whether this is a good or bad thing - but I believe they believe it’s a good thing.

The resale restrictions have to accompany the tickets to preserve this situation because the prices are artificially low and would otherwise  find the market clearing price very quickly.  There’s nothing intrinsically wrong with that (some would say everything is right with that) but it would defeat the purpose they’re trying to achieve.
    This is a fantastic post.
    +1 to this. Couldn't have said it better.
  • YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 839
    kst said:
    YAKIMATSU said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    For sure companies do that.  But that is not this situation.  At least not at the individual show level.  They may intentionally tour sparingly so that there’s sufficient buzz when they do to get people interested to enter all these lotteries etc. at a hundred bucks a pop.
    I agree. Thank you PJ for not gouging like most companies/bands do.
    Soldier Field 7-11-95, Alpine Valley 6-26-98, United Center 6-29-98, Riverport Amphitheater (St. Louis)7-2-98, MGM Grand Arena 10-22-00, Sprint Center (Kansas City)5-3-10, Adams Event Center (Missoula)9-30-12, Wrigley Field 7-19-13, Jobing.com Arena (Phoenix)11-19-13, Moda Center (Portland)11-29-13, Spokane Arena 11-30-13, Pepsi Center (Denver)10-22-14, Gila River Arena (Phoenix)5-9-22, Moody Center (Austin)9-18-23, Moody Center 9-19-23, Rogers Arena (Vancouver)5-4-24, Rogers Arena 5-6-24, MGM Grand 5-16-24, MGM Grand 5-18-24, Wrigley Field 8-29-24, Wrigley Field 8-31-24
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,642
    Saltzy23 said:
    kst said:
    Economics 101:  a shortage exists when demand exceeds supply at the given price.  The price must increase to where demand equals supply to eliminate the shortage.

If 20,000 people would pay up to $300 for a ticket, but the 20,001st person would not, $300 should be the price.

However PJ prefers a shortage situation with access rights that are based on luck to a market system where those with less income are necessarily left out.  That is very much their brand and their values.  I’m not providing my opinion on whether this is a good or bad thing - but I believe they believe it’s a good thing.

The resale restrictions have to accompany the tickets to preserve this situation because the prices are artificially low and would otherwise  find the market clearing price very quickly.  There’s nothing intrinsically wrong with that (some would say everything is right with that) but it would defeat the purpose they’re trying to achieve.
    This is a fantastic post.
    +1 to this. Couldn't have said it better.
    Basically what the article I posted said....
  • Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,350
    edited January 2020
    YAKIMATSU said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Rolex is really the best example.  DeBeers has done wonders at manipulating the market prices for diamonds, but what Rolex has pulled off is insanity.  They have now gotten people to buy lower end 'cheaper' models they don't even want for thousands of dollars just so they could build up enough purchasing credit to be deemed worthy enough to be offered the right to buy the hard to get ones when they finally become available.

'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
    Vedd Hedd said:

That's exactly it...people can rant all they want about how mean the basic law of economics (supply curve meeting demand curve, limited supply drives up prices, etc.) is, but you might as well rant about how mean the law of gravity is if you fall off of a building - it's not something with intent, or feelings, or malice, it just IS, so the sooner you come to grips with it instead of whining about how "unfair" it is, the better off you will be. Life is unfair, get used to it.

The fact is, "scalpers" do provide a service, i.e. a functioning ticket market. I have season tickets to the S.F. Giants - in the old days, if I couldn't use my tickets, I had to deal with "little guy scalpers" outside the stadium, and I hated it - I knew they were taking a cut, and I just wanted to sell directly to the person who would use the ticket. Seemed more "fair." But it was a pain, it took time, I had to try to find someone, etc.

Then Craigslist came along, which was better - it was online, bringing together more potential buyers and sellers, and better price signals. But it was still a pain, I had to email and text with a bunch of people, it took time, you had to actually meet, there were tons of flakes.

So the evil Stubhub comes along...and I love it. Yes, they're taking 15% from me and another 15% from the buyer, but it is so EASY- I spend a couple minutes listing, and as long as I price fairly, they sell - I get the money deposited in my account, the buyer gets their tickets, so easy. The huge benefits are well worth the fee, and clearly millions of people agree. So they perform a great service that people willingly use and pay for, so to say scalping has "made mega scalpers of stubhub" makes me laugh at your naivete.

And let me ask you this - what about the times when it goes the other way? I once left a 96 Bridge School Ticket in a tree outside Shoreline because there was nobody who needed a ticket and I wanted to get into the show. I have had friends flake for concerts so many times and I've sold tickets for half of face value, or even $20 for what cost me $100. How many of you whining about paying more than face have ever benefited by paying less? I've eaten so much money on tickets over the years, there have been many beneficiaries, so the very few times I've made a few bucks, I have no guilt.

Sure, when the Giants are good, I might make a little more than face when I sell tickets, or maybe if it's opening day or a Yankee game. But they've been bad for a few years now, I'd say 95% of tix I've had to sell - on Stubhub - the past few years, I've lost money on. Yet, I'm glad it was there so I could at least get something, it was an easy process. Whoever bought them got a great deal, kudos to them.

Anyway, you're welcome for the economics lesson, even though I know I probably won't change any minds...people will still rage at the unfairness of that pesky supply and demand curve, and rail at "scalpers," and spend their lives in a stew of frustration! 

Thank you for taking the time to post this comment. 

Scalping exists because there is both a need and a demand for it. And it is not going anywhere unless  PJ is willing to invest in enough will call attendants to check every single ID and walk every patron into the venue.
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    kst said:
    YAKIMATSU said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Right, but secondary markets swallow up large chunks of tickets sometimes, and release them little by little, to drive up demand, and make larger profits.

By really not doing anything more than...buying tickets with the sole purpose of doing just that.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Clarification: I was defending Stubhub as being a net social good, not an evil scalper...assholes that have no interest in the band (game, whatever) but find a way to get what they know is a scarce resource, and then sell it for more (often way more, especially in a case like this where an artificial shortage has been created, even if for very noble purposes, by the band)? Total parasites, douche bags, you name it...I love that PJ is eternally trying to fight these guys, I'm just saying, StubHub isn't the bad guy here, nor is the eternal and unbeatable law of supply and demand, so railing against those is a futile exercise...there's plenty in the world to rail against that deserves being railed against...
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    DoDaFoo said:
    This thread has gone off the deep end.
    Can’t touch the bottom. 
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • RobZRobZ Posts: 181
    So after two long weeks of contemplation..........I'm taking the Niners on the money line!
    2006: Las Vegas, Nevada
    2009: Salt Lake City, Utah
    2012: Missoula, Montana
    2014: Denver, Colorado
    2018: Missoula, Montana

Saltzy23 said:
    PJNB said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    PJNB said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

They can buy tickets for face value like everyone else on the 18th and beyond that missed out. Why should the rich be the closest and feed into the scalping market that takes away from real fans that wanted tix on the initial sales?
    Why do you just automatically assume that "rich" people are not real fans, but those that won the lotto are?

I guarantee you there are moderate fans that are in the 10C and won the lotto and I guarantee you there are real die hard PJ fans that lost the lotto and have enough cash to be able to buy their way in, but now cannot.

Who "deserves" to go more?
    Try reading what I said again. Nowhere did I say rich fans and real fans where different people. I said rich fans pay to get close feeding into the scalpers hands and taking away from real fans that wanted to go at face.

If people did not pay above face for tickets the scalpers would not buy them leaving more tickets to be available for real fans rich or poor. 
    ...but isn't this America where that is how the entire economic system is designed to function?

Everyone wants stuff.

Money is how we traditionally decide who actually gets to have it.

My dad paid $700 for Bruno mars ticket a couple years ago and all I thought at the time was thank goodness PJ doesn't maximize profits bc I wouldn’t be able to go to a show and I’m sure a lot of us are in this boat.  They are making the shows affordable for all of us and I will be forever thankful for that. For once the rich don’t get to shut the rest of us out. Is that so bad?!?

But they lock in the best seats to the same fans year after year show after show.

no one can get more successful in life and buy into their ticket restriction scheme. Most seating locations were decided 20 years ago.

restriction is restriction, PJ has their version, and the free market has its own that all the other bands rely on.

Both versions discriminate against large segments of the audience. Boom.

• tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    Saltzy23 said:
    PJNB said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    PJNB said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

Why do you just automatically assume that "rich" people are not real fans, but those that won the lotto are?

I guarantee you there are moderate fans that are in the 10C and won the lotto and I guarantee you there are real die hard PJ fans that lost the lotto and have enough cash to be able to buy their way in, but now cannot.

Try reading what I said again. Nowhere did I say rich fans and real fans where different people. I said rich fans pay to get close feeding into the scalpers hands and taking away from real fans that wanted to go at face.

If people did not pay above face for tickets the scalpers would not buy them leaving more tickets to be available for real fans rich or poor. 
    ...but isn't this America where that is how the entire economic system is designed to function?

Everyone wants stuff.

My dad paid $700 for Bruno mars ticket a couple years ago and all I thought at the time was thank goodness PJ doesn't maximize profits bc I wouldn’t be able to go to a show and I’m sure a lot of us are in this boat.  They are making the shows affordable for all of us and I will be forever thankful for that. For once the rich don’t get to shut the rest of us out. Is that so bad?!?

But they lock in the best seats to the same fans year after year show after show.

no one can get more successful in life and buy into their ticket restriction scheme. Most seating locations were decided 20 years ago.

restriction is restriction, PJ has their version, and the free market has its own that all the other bands rely on.

What’s your point? 
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • whoyouare72whoyouare72 Posts: 2,144
    RobZ said:
    So after two long weeks of contemplation..........I'm taking the Niners on the money line!

Smart bet bro
    edited January 2020
    It just woulda, ya know, been nice to know that there would basically be be no way into the Baltimore show if I didn't figure it out during the 10C lotto or TM sales when the info about the show leaked like 10 days before the official announcement.

I am an idiot for booking a non-refundable hotel room(and if I have to eat that, fine, it's on me) , but Amtrak is gonna be a hot mess that weekend with the Yankees and PJ in town and I really thought it was the safest bet to reserve that as early as possible. If I have to cancel that, I'll get a 75% credit for another trip, which kinda sucks.

I'll obviously wait longer to make any reservations in the future if this is going to be the new ticketing system, but this was kind of a shitty way to have to learn that lesson.
  • Saltzy23 said:
    It just woulda, ya know, been nice to know that there would basically be be no way into the Baltimore show if I didn't figure it out during the 10C lotto or TM sales when the info about the show leaked like 10 days before the official announcement.

I am an idiot for booking a non-refundable hotel room(and if I have to eat that, fine, it's on me) , but Amtrak is gonna be a hot mess that weekend with the Yankees and PJ in town and I really thought it was the safest bet to reserve that as early as possible. If I have to cancel that, I'll get a 75% credit for another trip, which kinda sucks.

I'll obviously wait longer to make any reservations in the future if this is going to be the new ticketing system, but this was kind of a shitty way to have to learn that lesson.
    A non-refundable hotel room becomes a fully refundable hotel room with a simple, polite conversation with the hotel mgr. 

But, there’s no lesson to be learned here.  You booked a bunch of stuff without a ticket. Vegas would love to have you. 
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    edited January 2020
    Saltzy23 said:
    PJNB said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    PJNB said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

Everyone wants stuff.

Technically, the ticket is affordable. It's not affordable to fly from DC to Denver (because I couldn't get a Baltimore ticket), pay for local transport, rent a hotel room, and pay for meals, etc. I'm pretty much done with this model, especially with this latest turn of the lottery. The partnership with Ticketmaster has soured my willingness to spend my hard-earned savings to travel to see this band. Though the ticket itself is still affordable, the scarcity of the tickets does in fact shut out many, many people -- or put many, many many people in credit card debt -- who cannot afford the associated travel costs. The only blessing in winning a Denver ticket, as I see it, is that I will be able to sell it at my own discretion.
    Post edited by what dreams on
    Saltzy23 said:

A non-refundable hotel room becomes a fully refundable hotel room with a simple, polite conversation with the hotel mgr. 

But, there’s no lesson to be learned here.  You booked a bunch of stuff without a ticket. Vegas would love to have you. 
    In a million years I never thought I wouldn't get in.  I figured it would have cost me a few hundred bucks for a single shitty seat somewhere if I absolutely had to go that route, but how could anyone have known they would implement a 'non-transferable,  no resale, no secondary market' ticketing system before they announced it?

• Hold OnHold On Posts: 80
    I got 10C tickets via the lottery for all 5 west coast shows, but no confirmation of seats yet for any of the shows.  At what point should I start to be concerned?  Also, will the email come from “Ticketstoday - a ticketmaster company” like the confirmations came from?  
    PS.  I had “reserved” for all 5 shows, not Best Available or General Admission.  
  • Can this thread please be closed already
  • JD2381JD2381 Posts: 52

PEARL JAM 2020 NORTH AMERICA TOUR PRESALE TIMELINE

NEWS JANUARY 27 2020

Current Status: If you were confirmed for a show, Ticketstoday will email you instructions on how to view your tickets on the afternoon of Friday, January 31st.

PJ:
    11/1/1992 Mountain View (Bridge School) // 10/1/1994 Mountain View (Bridge School) // 6/24/1995 San Francisco // 11/4/1995 San Jose // 10/19/1996 Mountain View (Bridge School) // 11/19/1997 Oakland (opening for Rolling Stones) // 6/30/1998 Minneapolis // 9/11/1998 New York // 10/30/1999 Mountain View (Bridge School) // 10/31/2000 Mountain View // 10/21/2001 Mountain View (Bridge School) // 6/1/2003 Mountain View // 6/6/2003 Las Vegas // 10/26/2003 Mountain View (Bridge School) // 5/12/2006 Albany, NY // 7/15/2006 San Francisco // 7/16/2006 San Francisco // 10/22/2006 Mountain View (Bridge School) // 7/12/2008 Los Angeles (VH1 Rock Honors The Who) // 8/28/2009 San Francisco (Outside Lands) // 10/1/2009 Los Angeles // 10/24/2010 Mountain View (Bridge School) // 11/26/2013 Oakland // 10/19/2014 St. Paul // 10/26/2014 Mountain View (Bridge School) // 5/12/2022 Oakland // 5/13/24 Sacramento
    EV:
    10/24/2004 Mountain View (Bridge School) // 7/11/11 Oakland // 10/23/11 Mountain View (Bridge School) // 10/21/12 Mountain View (Bridge School) // 

• andrewcurrandrewcurr Posts: 7
    edited January 2020

Post edited by andrewcurr on
  • pbultimatepbultimate Posts: 612
    edited January 2020

• Mac57Mac57 Posts: 274
    Good Luck to everyone tomorrow!
    2008 MSG I & II
    2010 Newark, MSG I
    2013 Wrigley Field, Brooklyn I & II, Hartford, LA I & II, San Diego
    2014 Detroit, Moline, St. Paul & Milwaukee
    2015 Ed Sullivan Theater/ Central Park
    2016 FTL, Miami, Philly 1&2, MSG 1&2, Fenway 1
    2017 RRHOF
    2018 Seattle I & II, Missoula, Boston I & II
    2022 Apollo, MSG, Camden, Nashville & St. Louis
    2023 St.P. 1 & 2, Austin 1 & 2
    2024 MSG 1 & 2, Baltimore, Philly 1 & 2, Fenway 1
  • smaksmak Posts: 232
    kst said:

Spot on.

What they should do is do all the shows in a similar area at once.  So there are 2 NY, and 2 or 3 more in Philly,Boston, etc..... And then do the rest of the East.

Then come back in the Fall to do the rest of the country and the West.

Because what will happen in the fall if they just do 3 or 4 more shows in the NE will be the same thing.

Better to do 5 or 6 in that same area in 10 days.

• Can this thread please be closed already
    Just. Quit. Clicking. On. It.