The coronavirus

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Another person died overnight in Australia.
    An 81 year old lady.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    Combination of the virus and snowstorm prompted me to bust out my A-team train I haven’t used it at least 30 years. Kids love it
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,129
    mace1229 said:
    Combination of the virus and snowstorm prompted me to bust out my A-team train I haven’t used it at least 30 years. Kids love it
    Nice 👍 sometimes the simplest of toys mean the most! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Noone knows how this virus started yet.
    Would be good to know.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,129
    Would be good to know.
    Who would you believe? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    edited March 2020
    Would be good to know.

Lowest common denominator in these cases - people eating meat and our/their unbalanced relationship with animals.

The SARS outbreak in Asia in 2003 seems to have begun with the delicacy of palm grove, a red-gray cat-like animal. MERS, with a mortality rate of over 30% that has plagued the Arabian Peninsula since 2013 in various outbreaks, seems to come from the human relationship to camels. Both SARS and MERS are coronavirus, now under good control. But here we are again - with a new virus from the same family, which is also believed to be derived from man's itchy contact with animals. In the case of covid-19, the researchers' hypotheses point to a fish market. Studies also indicate that bats, with their special immune system, are a central carrier of the very disease-causing coronavirus.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    The bat eating theory keeps going around.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    edited March 2020
    some images are disturbing but I believe this is a very objective 8 minute doc on why these viruses keep starting in China:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPpoJGYlW54
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited March 2020
    Doesn't make it true. And if it was, what is the difference in eating a bat over anything else?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Bats are known carriers of diseases. In Australia we are warned against their droppings and horses have died from that.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Tomorrow is the first day of closed doors for our business.  It's been incredibly dead all week, 90% of patients cancelled, and we cancelled the last of them today and tomorrow.  One of us will be there to collect the mail and man the phone for a few hours each day, and we will still take emergencies, but the income we will generate will be negligible.  Fingers crossed that...well hell, I don't know, there's not much of an endgame in sight with this.  Fingers crossed that we stay healthy, for sure.
    Gotta look for silver linings...the garden is going to be banging this year with so much time to work on it.  Might really need it, too.  😒
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    edited March 2020
    Bats are known carriers of diseases. In Australia we are warned against their droppings and horses have died from that.
    I am not an expert. And I do not think one should eat bats (or any animals). And I know they are carriers. But there are recipes for bats, and it is considered a delicatesse  in countries.

I happen to believe 8 our of 10 who are talking about "those people over there eating bats" are fueled by xenophobia, and not by well versed and educated concerns about bats being carriers. 

But maybe that stems from my own ignorance.
    I am not an expert. And I do not think one should eat bats (or any animals). And I know they are carriers. But there are recipes for bats, and it is considered a delicatesse  in countries.

I happen to believe 8 our of 10 who are talking about "those people over there eating bats" are fueled by xenophobia, and not by well versed and educated concerns about bats being carriers. 

Watch the video I just linked.
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    Would be good to know.

Lowest common denominator in these cases - people eating meat and our/their unbalanced relationship with animals.

The SARS outbreak in Asia in 2003 seems to have begun with the delicacy of palm grove, a red-gray cat-like animal. MERS, with a mortality rate of over 30% that has plagued the Arabian Peninsula since 2013 in various outbreaks, seems to come from the human relationship to camels. Both SARS and MERS are coronavirus, now under good control. But here we are again - with a new virus from the same family, which is also believed to be derived from man's itchy contact with animals. In the case of covid-19, the researchers' hypotheses point to a fish market. Studies also indicate that bats, with their special immune system, are a central carrier of the very disease-causing coronavirus.
    Dinner tonight.... Bat Free!  ;)

"The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,510
    edited March 2020
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
    edited March 2020
    mcgruff10 said:

Watch the video I just linked.
    I've seen it.

Now you, read this article:

https://www.dagensarena.se/opinion/din-middag-ar-varre-an-corona/
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited March 2020
    True, but... Bats did not cause Avian Flu, MERS or Mad Cow..etc.. -- It's from caged animals in close quarters... that doesn't happen in nature

Bats are not to blame for coronavirus. Humans are

Reclusive, nocturnal, numerous -- bats are a possible source of the coronavirus. Yet some scientists concur they are not to blame for the transfer of the disease that's changing daily life -- humans are.

Zoologists and disease experts have told CNN that changes to human behavior -- the destruction of natural habitats, coupled with the huge number of fast-moving people now on Earth -- has enabled diseases that were once locked away in nature to cross into people fast. 

Scientists are still unsure where the virus originated, and will only be able to prove its source if they isolate a live virus in a suspected species -- a hard task. 
    But viruses that are extremely similar to the one that causes Covid-19 have been seen in Chinese horseshoe bats. That has led to urgent questions as to how the disease moved from bat communities -- often untouched by humans -- to spread across Earth. The answers suggest the need for a complete rethink of how we treat the planet.
    Link
    Post edited by myoung321 on
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

myoung321 said:
    Would be good to know.

Dinner tonight.... Bat Free!  ;)

Haha, too late for dinner here. But I had a burger with:

I don't need "meat tasting substitutes". But I'm trying to go through all burger patties alternatives, for fun.

myoung321 said:
    Bats did not cause Avian Flu, MERS or Mad Cow..etc.. -- It's from caged animals in close quarters... that doesn't happen in nature  
    However bats are one of the contributors to the corona virus.  It literally was the perfect storm of viruses.  
    edited March 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    myoung321 said:
    Bats did not cause Avian Flu, MERS or Mad Cow..etc.. -- It's from caged animals in close quarters... that doesn't happen in nature  
    However bats are one of the contributors to the corona virus.  It literally was the perfect storm of viruses.  
    Why literally and why a perfect storm?
    mcgruff10 said:
    myoung321 said:
    The way it was created and passed on from animals to humans.   Gear down big shifter. 

edited March 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    myoung321 said:
    The way it was created and passed on from animals to humans.   Gear down big shifter. 

In what way was it a perfect storm?

It has happened before, MERS and SARS are both corona viruses too. Also passed on from animals to humans.
    Police are preparing for 50 percent staff absenteeism due to the virus. Now National Commander-in-Chief Per Engström is appealing to politicians not to close primary and pre-primary schools. He tells DN that it would affect many in the community and mentions the entire legal chain with police, prosecutors, judges and lawyers.

- Who are socially important and not? We depend on each other in a complicated way. Many of these things do not appear until the action has been initiated and it is already too late. Prison services must continue to receive the people we arrest and prosecutors must continue to make decisions, otherwise we may need to release people, he tells the newspaper.
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    myoung321 said:

It has happened before, MERS and SARS are both corona viruses too. Also passed on from animals to humans.
    Thanks capt.  
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    myoung321 said:

Thanks capt.  
    No need for the attitude, gear down big shifter. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,510
    myoung321 said:
    True, but... Bats did not cause Avian Flu, MERS or Mad Cow..etc.. -- It's from caged animals in close quarters... that doesn't happen in nature

Bats are not to blame for coronavirus. Humans are

Reclusive, nocturnal, numerous -- bats are a possible source of the coronavirus. Yet some scientists concur they are not to blame for the transfer of the disease that's changing daily life -- humans are.

Zoologists and disease experts have told CNN that changes to human behavior -- the destruction of natural habitats, coupled with the huge number of fast-moving people now on Earth -- has enabled diseases that were once locked away in nature to cross into people fast. 

Scientists are still unsure where the virus originated, and will only be able to prove its source if they isolate a live virus in a suspected species -- a hard task. 
    But viruses that are extremely similar to the one that causes Covid-19 have been seen in Chinese horseshoe bats. That has led to urgent questions as to how the disease moved from bat communities -- often untouched by humans -- to spread across Earth. The answers suggest the need for a complete rethink of how we treat the planet.
    Link

But USA Today calls the rumor partly false. Does that indicate it’s mostly true? 

An excerpt-

Wet markets are places where people can buy a variety of live animals for consumption. Many different species can be found stacked on top of one another in such environments, which are conducive to cross-species disease transfer.  

It is impossible to determine whether COVID-19 would have arisen without the existence of the wet markets or settings like it, but it is true that such markets supply the conditions for such diseases to arise and infect humans. Indeed, SARS, or severe acute respiratory syndrome, resulted from a virus transferring from bats to civet cats and then humans. Discovered in 2003, SARS originated at a wet market similar to the one now suspected to be the origin of COVID-19.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/03/18/coronavirus-fact-check-covid-19-caused-eating-animals/5073094002/

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,314
    Well - I’ve spent the entire week on coronavirus at work. And the goalposts move every day. I have parents in their 70’s one with an auto immune issue and the other a heart issue. My only sibling is on dialysis 3 days a week. My spouse is traveling in the US for work (essential) and I’m at my job (essential - both manufacturing) dealing with worried people and trying to setup the best systems we can to keep people healthy. I have 1 more day and I am exhausted, mostly mentally. 

I listen to the small bits of PJ songs and smile. I need this album. I wish I didn’t have to wait a week. 

Time for a beer.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,644
    Who else is dealing with this 🙋‍♀️

edited March 2020
    MF117973 said:
    Who else is dealing with this 🙋‍♀️

Haha. Yeah, telling your dad to NOT GO DOWN TO THE PUB FOR A FEW WEEKS, READ YOUR GOD DAMN CRIME NOVEL AT HOME INSTEAD! and you mom to REMEMBER TO WASH YOUR HANDS AND FOR FUCKS SAKES -- GO HOME DIRECTLY AFTER WORK AND DO NOT TALK TO STRANGERS! is quite weird. 

This discussion has been closed.