The coronavirus

Comments

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,424
    rgambs said:
    Tomorrow is the first day of closed doors for our business.  It's been incredibly dead all week, 90% of patients cancelled, and we cancelled the last of them today and tomorrow.  One of us will be there to collect the mail and man the phone for a few hours each day, and we will still take emergencies, but the income we will generate will be negligible.  Fingers crossed that...well hell, I don't know, there's not much of an endgame in sight with this.  Fingers crossed that we stay healthy, for sure.
    Gotta look for silver linings...the garden is going to be banging this year with so much time to work on it.  Might really need it, too.  😒
    My wife owns a clinic and is going through the same thing today and it was hard and frustrating to watch. Hope you can bounce back from this. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,482
    mcgruff10 said:
    tish said:
    Billygoatgruff... I read that this am and sorry to hear about the 4th. Damn, that lady had 11 kids! Those were the days...

Day 5 isolating. Only indoor I hit was the bank during that time. 12 cases in my region today. So, I'm with you on that, Bri.

Em, I love the photo!

Here's our self care outing pic of the day. Was nice, the kid kicked out the PJams with the top down finally! We hit different beaches daily (which are not crowded).

That the smallest lake around that warms up early where I like to ski! The white stuff is snow.

Peace!
    Thank you everyone for the kind words.  My wife knew them a lot better (lived next door to them for close to ten years in first marriage) and she is really really hurting.  It was such a close knit family, they can't grieve together, they can't be together in any capactiy, there is no funeral as of now.  The rest of the family is just waiting to see if they develop symptoms while in lock down.
    Took a nice 2.25 mile jog today...cleared my mind.  Good stuff.
    Can't wait to listen to some new pj, seriously this band is really helping.  Channel 22 is god like lol.  Stay healthy everyone!
    i'm so sorry mike. i can't imagine....for the family or all who care about them. my condolences. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

mace1229 said:
    Combination of the virus and snowstorm prompted me to bust out my A-team train I haven’t used it at least 30 years. Kids love it
    EPIC

www.headstonesband.com

MF117973 said:
    Who else is dealing with this 🙋‍♀️

I am too. my parents just drove home from their annual snowbirding to palm springs. i implored with them to stay home. the border fucking patrol told them "ah, if you aren't symptomatic, no problem getting groceries or going to the pharmacy". wrong, asshole. self isolate means GOING NOWHERE. my parents generation are constantly whining about the pussification of our current generation (oddly, at the same time giving me shit for letting my kids play on the monkey bars at the "young age of 10" and letting them stay home when my oldest is babysitting already). they didn't understand that self isolating meant no going for coffee. no visiting with anyone. fuck. they finally got it. after a lecture from their 45 year old son. 

www.headstonesband.com

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    myoung321 said:
    Bats are known carriers of diseases. In Australia we are warned against their droppings and horses have died from that.
    Bats did not cause Avian Flu, MERS or Mad Cow..etc.. -- It's from caged animals in close quarters... that doesn't happen in nature  
    However bats are one of the contributors to the corona virus.  It literally was the perfect storm of viruses.  
    Why literally and why a perfect storm?
    The way it was created and passed on from animals to humans.   Gear down big shifter. 

In what way was it a perfect storm?

It has happened before, MERS and SARS are both corona viruses too. Also passed on from animals to humans.
    Thanks capt.  
    No need for the attitude, gear down big shifter. 
    And yes, all of those viruses are perfect storms.  So many things need to line up to make them happen.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,387
    edited March 2020
    TA-
    Sometimes it is not how the donkey got in the ditch.
    It's - get the jackass out.

Post edited by Spunkie on

The Chinese Wild-Animal Industry and Wet Markets Must Go

The Standing Committee of the National People’s Congress, in effect the executive committee of the Chinese Communist Party, in late February issued an edict banning the country’s “wet markets,” including those in Wuhan, the source of the current COVID-19 outbreak. The statement notes that “it is necessary to strengthen market supervision, resolutely ban and severely crack down on illegal wildlife markets and trade, and control major public health risks from the source.” The Straits Times of Singapore has reported that eight laws have been passed in the last week. We have no details on the contents of the legislation. It’s too soon to know, though, whether we have been down this road before.

After the SARS outbreak in 2003, which was traced to a wet market in the southern Guangdong Province, a temporary ban on wet markets and the wild-animal industry were put in place. In July of that year, the World Health Organization declared the SARS virus contained, and in August the Chinese government lifted the ban.

Wet markets are found the world over, typically open-air sites selling fresh meat, seafood, and produce. The meats often are butchered and trimmed on-site. Markets in China have come in for justifiable condemnation because of the way they’ve evolved, commingling traditional livestock with a wide variety of wild animals, including exotic and endangered species. Many are quite unsanitary, with blood, entrails, excrement, and other waste creating the conditions for disease that migrates from animals to people through virus, bacteria, and other forms of transmission. Such “zoonotic diseases” that have emerged from China and other regions of the world include Ebola, HIV, bird flu, swine flu, and SARS.

The wild animals that mix with more common livestock — poultry, swine, and seafood — form a deadly combination. And, as has been well reported by Vox and others, wild-animal farming has a long history in China, emerging after disastrous decades of state control of rural production under Mao Zedong. By the end of the Cultural Revolution in 1976, tens of millions of Chinese citizens had died of starvation under a system that could not produce enough food for China’s population.

Mao’s successor, Deng Xiaoping, in the late 1970s lifted state controls on rural farming to allow peasant farmers to provide for their own sustenance. Rats, bats, civet cats, pangolins, and other wild animals became staples of rural farming. To acknowledge and even encourage this, the government enacted laws that protected “the lawful rights of those engaged in the development or utilization of wildlife resources.”

Over time, this led to the breeding and distribution of these animals, and small rural outposts developed into larger-scale operations. Add to this the use of wild animals not only for consumption but as the supposedly magic ingredients in tonics and alternative medicines, and it is obvious that what began as subsistence farming for the rural poor has developed into a substantial industry. Wuhan, a city most Americans had never heard of before this year, is larger than New York City.

Wet markets and commingling with wild animals have created much misery for the Chinese and for the world. Sixty million Americans caught the H1N1 “swine flu” virus in 2009, while the SARS outbreak killed nearly 800 people worldwide. The COVID-19 death toll is already multiples of that.

We should be skeptical about reports of a crackdown on the wild-animal industry in the wake of the Wuhan catastrophe. We don’t know any details about the new laws that have been reported. What will be the enforcement and discipline? Law enforcement in rural China is notoriously lax, in contrast to the cities, where the use of surveillance technology and other means to control the population is widespread. What is the posture toward Chinese medicine, which is a significant driver of the wild-animal industry? While thousands of such wet markets have been closed, how did we get to 2020 with such practices in a city larger than the largest U.S. city?

So far, we may just be seeing a repeat of the “crackdown” after the SARS epidemic, which was quickly and quietly lifted. We do not know the nature of the current ban. And can we even trust Beijing to keep such bans in place, particularly with a slowing economy and persistent rural poverty? Also, what exactly is banned? It should be all aspects of the wild-animal trade — breeding, transporting, and marketing.

There should be permanent closure of the wet markets, given the government’s obvious inability or unwillingness to regulate them. Such a comprehensive approach would be a reversal of decades of government policy and market practice, but when we get through this crisis and the toll it will take on the world, we will owe it to the memory of those we lose that there be a global, sustained push to see these practices ended, everywhere.

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,510
    edited March 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    myoung321 said:
    Bats are known carriers of diseases. In Australia we are warned against their droppings and horses have died from that.
    Bats did not cause Avian Flu, MERS or Mad Cow..etc.. -- It's from caged animals in close quarters... that doesn't happen in nature  
    However bats are one of the contributors to the corona virus.  It literally was the perfect storm of viruses.  

http://youtu.be/IHS3qJdxefY

Crank it covid.
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    ^fuck the National Review
    CM189191 said:
    what do you disagree with in that article?
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    mcgruff10 said:
    CM189191 said:
    Seems fact-based to me. Unless all news sources reporting on this irresponsible behavior by the Chinese are in on one big conspiracy theory. I think not. 
  • CA first....crazy times but I think this is what everyone needs to do.  Govt needs to step up and put down guidelines and protection for employers and people 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited March 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    myoung321 said:
    It was the perfect storm, for this Covid19 type coronavirus....I agree 100%
    Post edited by myoung321 on
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,572
    Well - I’ve spent the entire week on coronavirus at work. And the goalposts move every day. I have parents in their 70’s one with an auto immune issue and the other a heart issue. My only sibling is on dialysis 3 days a week. My spouse is traveling in the US for work (essential) and I’m at my job (essential - both manufacturing) dealing with worried people and trying to setup the best systems we can to keep people healthy. I have 1 more day and I am exhausted, mostly mentally. 

I listen to the small bits of PJ songs and smile. I need this album. I wish I didn’t have to wait a week. 

Time for a beer.

Hang in there, Cincy.  Good thoughts for you and your wife.

I'm toasting you with a nice chilled Pacifico cerveza.  Ole!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    mcgruff10 said:
    CM189191 said:
    Read the author's own conclusion out loud and tell me this makes sense to you:

"There should be permanent closure of the wet markets, given the government’s obvious inability or unwillingness to regulate them."
  • rhanishanerhanishane Posts: 505
    edited March 2020
    Omg Australia is laughable. New rules: from 100 per gathering indoors to 1 person per 4 square metres. Transport on buses and trains and schools don't apply instead keep 1.5 metres from each other? Wtf? Cruise ship ruby princess has dispersed 2700 passengers at Sydney docks before testing revealed 13 sick with 4 confirmed cases from that ship with 1 crew and 2 hospitalised. Ship is docked off the coast with 1100 crew onboard. Those 2700 now have to be traced to quarantine them. 382 confirmed cases now in NSW. What a total fuck up we will end up like Italy.
    Post edited by rhanishane on
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Omg Australia is laughable. New rules: from 100 per gathering indoors to 1 person per 4 square metres. Transport on buses and trains and schools don't apply instead keep 1.5 metres from each other? Wtf? Cruise ship diamond ruby has dispersed 2700 passengers at Sydney docks before testing revealed 13 sick with 3 confirmed cases from that ship with 1 crew and 2 hospitalised. Ship is docked off the coast with 1100 crew onboard. Those 2700 now have to be traced to quarantine them. 382 confirmed cases now in NSW. What a total fuck up we will end up like Italy.
    wtf, I did not hear this and I was just listening to talkback radio.
    Yeah and teachers are expected to be at work.
    The advice is conflicting big time.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Lucky Ozzy Osbourne did not get coronavirus after biting a bat's head off lol
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • rhanishanerhanishane Posts: 505
    Omg Australia is laughable. New rules: from 100 per gathering indoors to 1 person per 4 square metres. Transport on buses and trains and schools don't apply instead keep 1.5 metres from each other? Wtf? Cruise ship diamond ruby has dispersed 2700 passengers at Sydney docks before testing revealed 13 sick with 3 confirmed cases from that ship with 1 crew and 2 hospitalised. Ship is docked off the coast with 1100 crew onboard. Those 2700 now have to be traced to quarantine them. 382 confirmed cases now in NSW. What a total fuck up we will end up like Italy.
    wtf, I did not hear this and I was just listening to talkback radio.
    Yeah and teachers are expected to be at work.
    The advice is conflicting big time.
    Just updated it it's the ruby princess and 4 confirmed on the ship. Another ship docking in Sydney now. Apparently cause it didn't go to overseas ports it was allowed back. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited March 2020
    Don't know how reliable the data is for comparison, with all countries having different rules and possibilities for testing and other variables. But:

Here’s the coronavirus growth rate through Tuesday. France and Germany remain precisely on the Italian flight path. The US has moved slightly above it, possibly due to more widespread testing. Sweden continues to level out, suggesting that they’re doing something right.
    It’s worth noting some slightly good news here: the Italian trendline is still skyrocketing, but for the past week or so it’s been increasing at a linear rate, not an exponential one. It’s a very high linear rate, but that’s still better than any exponential rate.

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2020/03/coronavirus-growth-in-western-countries-march-17-update/?fbclid=IwAR1U7C-cfuuNUc_fAVyQBKClHunQl2Y64HqT8rcDq0GV1LxMQFhXpOmGgOs
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited March 2020
    On Friday, Volvo Cars in Sweden chooses to stop production, which is valid from Thursday next week, says Ekot.

They communicated the message during the morning and it affects around 25,000 people.

- These are our office workers and employees in factories in Sweden. There are around 25,000 employees in total, says the company's CEO Håkan Samuelsson to Ekot.

How long can this go on, even for big multinational companies?
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,424
    Anyone else following Germany's low fatality rate with the virus? Why is it so much more different than the rest of the world? Some thoughts are the younger demographic were the first ones to be hit with the virus and that number is going to spike very soon with the older population being in contact with it now. The other thought is this is actually closer to the true fatality rate to the virus. Germany is testing more people than any other country in the world and more people that have mild symptoms are getting factored into the equation than anywheres else. Hopefully these numbers can stay low than what we are seeing in Italy (older population) and Spain. 

California issues stay at home order. Still allowed to leave home to get food, medicines, walk dog, exercise, see doctor, etc. Newsome leaving plenty of options for comfort.

California is projecting TWENTY TWO MILLION WILL BE INFECTED IN JUST THEIR STATE.

Like Muhammad hits the truth ((Literally just came on random all songs shuffle, not even listening to PJ)

Anyone have the California fatality projection on that? Hundreds of thousands, just in California 

and young adults can die a painful death from this. I’ll find that article and link.
    https://www.npr.org/2020/03/20/818764136/california-issues-stay-at-home-order-as-coronavirus-infections-rise?ft=nprml&f=1001

^california order and infection projection

Comfort?

“COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, has been much deadlier in older people, but more anecdotes are popping up of young, healthy people getting critically ill. Among the first reported cases in the US, around 40 percent of the patients that required hospitalization were between the ages of 20 and 54, according to a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).”

• Pretty sure the comfort question was asked and answered.  Not sure why being antagonistic has to remain a part of your posts.  Let it go.

Shit is awful for so many.

Who follows CA, today?

edited March 2020
    Pretty sure the comfort question was asked and answered.  Not sure why being antagonistic has to remain a part of your posts.  Let it go.

Shit is awful for so many.

Who follows CA, today?

In the age of false flag trump it was very infuriating reading those posts here the past 36 hours. Especially because my life and death is contingent on you and everyone else being smart and intelligent.

Especially as I was sitting for the last four days in one of the top ICUs in the Northeast, speaking with top doctors about the current healthcare situation. Especially how I was quarantined for nearly 40 hours due to one similar symptom of a family member. Zero room for misdiagnosis in these troubled times. We for the most part knew our family health issue was a virus other than covid, still scary as shit? The tests take days to be certain of accuracy. Currently everyone healthy.

Especially reading how one long time poster was comforted because while walking their dog or something like that a doctor they know told them this is overblown. ID specialist completely updated? Who the FMe knows. And another long time poster was comforted by living in a Logan’s Run horror movie. Glad for that.

Make more sense now?

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • No.
    It makes sense that we are all concerned and worried.  
    None of us know what is going to happen, especially when we have so called experts predicting extremely different outcomes. 
    I surely don't know what is going to happen next and share in the concern everyone has.

This discussion has been closed.