9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,574
    More Arnold.  I love this guy!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    You'd think he'd properly house-train his in-home livestock like the rest of us peons.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    BUT I THOUGHT CHINA WAS HIDING INFO...(not that I totally trust China's leaders but this just flies in the face of what he says now)

So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC Posts: 2,606
    static111 said:
    Did the GOP just sign a death warrant for 6 million?

Republican Sen. Ron Johnson cast doubt on the severity of federally issued guidance aimed at staunching the spread of the novel coronavirus, urging people to consider the economic drawbacks of the recommendations

"I'm not denying what a nasty disease COVID-19 can be, and how it's obviously devastating to somewhere between 1 and 3.4 percent of the population," Johnson, a Wisconsin Republican, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Tuesday. "But that means 97 to 99 percent will get through this and develop immunities and will be able to move beyond this."

But we don't shut down our economy because tens of thousands of people die on the highways. It's a risk we accept so we can move about," 

It's just a bad version of the flu. My garbage man used to be a doctor and told me so while picking up my trash.

"between 1 and 3.4 percent" of 320 million is not measured in thousands, a$$hole GOP Senator. Try many millions. Go back to sniffing Trump's arse.
    The math is off but the premise isn’t crazy.  Sure it might be too early to make this decision, but depending on how long it goes on it is a decision that might have to be made. I mean how long can we realistically let the world be at a complete standstill? 12 months, 18, 2 years?  The best projections for a working vaccine suggest 18 months....what are we supposed to do until then? Especially those of us who have had their livelihoods put at major risk.

Look at what China did, look at what Italy is doing, learn from it.  If we do not retard the spread of this the problem is going to be worse than if we do.  Take a federal approach and get serious about keeping people away from each other.  Focus all energies on the support system/working against the disease instead of trying to string things along.  Stop any payments/collections.  After the 30 days we have a better plan, we re-open stuff and find a way.  Right now, it seems like we are letting everyone do what works best for them.
    How in the heck is that going to get us the result we need?

I don't know the right answers....like I shared above, the take I watched yesterday on a national lockdown to protect the people & the economy for a short while seems like a better response than what we are doing now.

What scares me right now is read up on the lengths China went to just to get where they are now in 4 months.  They were much more proactive and extreme. 
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • static111 said:

Republican Sen. Ron Johnson cast doubt on the severity of federally issued guidance aimed at staunching the spread of the novel coronavirus, urging people to consider the economic drawbacks of the recommendations

"I'm not denying what a nasty disease COVID-19 can be, and how it's obviously devastating to somewhere between 1 and 3.4 percent of the population," Johnson, a Wisconsin Republican, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Tuesday. "But that means 97 to 99 percent will get through this and develop immunities and will be able to move beyond this."

But we don't shut down our economy because tens of thousands of people die on the highways. It's a risk we accept so we can move about," 

It's just a bad version of the flu. My garbage man used to be a doctor and told me so while picking up my trash.

"between 1 and 3.4 percent" of 320 million is not measured in thousands, a$$hole GOP Senator. Try many millions. Go back to sniffing Trump's arse.
    The math is off but the premise isn’t crazy.  Sure it might be too early to make this decision, but depending on how long it goes on it is a decision that might have to be made. I mean how long can we realistically let the world be at a complete standstill? 12 months, 18, 2 years?  The best projections for a working vaccine suggest 18 months....what are we supposed to do until then? Especially those of us who have had their livelihoods put at major risk.

Look at what China did, look at what Italy is doing, learn from it.  If we do not retard the spread of this the problem is going to be worse than if we do.  Take a federal approach and get serious about keeping people away from each other.  Focus all energies on the support system/working against the disease instead of trying to string things along.  Stop any payments/collections.  After the 30 days we have a better plan, we re-open stuff and find a way.  Right now, it seems like we are letting everyone do what works best for them.

I don't know the right answers....like I shared above, the take I watched yesterday on a national lockdown to protect the people & the economy for a short while seems like a better response than what we are doing now.

What scares me right now is read up on the lengths China went to just to get where they are now in 4 months.  They were much more proactive and extreme. 

Right and Italy already passed them in deaths. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    static111 said:

If things are to go on China style lockdown in western countries to contain the virus, there needs to be a strong plan in place. What is being floated around now is not enough, you expect people to just sit in side complacently, you better make sure that their bills are paid or forgiven and food and services are provided.  Not to mention you have to make sure that everything that is given up during the crisis can be taken back, freedom of assembly etc.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    edited March 2020
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

If things are to go on China style lockdown in western countries to contain the virus, there needs to be a strong plan in place. What is being floated around now is not enough, you expect people to just sit in side complacently, you better make sure that their bills are paid or forgiven and food and services are provided.  Not to mention you have to make sure that everything that is given up during the crisis can be taken back, freedom of assembly etc.
    China was literally segregating hospitals.  Either walling off parts of certain hospitals, calling them the "Dirty Wing" and "Clean Wing," or the entire hospital was completely dedicated to COVID-19.

• Was just on a large CDC Private Sector Partner group call with the Director, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, CDC

She had nothing really new to share beyond what we can read on their site.  She sounded in favor of a larger lockdown but would not commit to anything being taken action on federally, stating that it is being left to local governing bodies to make their own determinations.
    She did stress that the social distancing could and would work to slow this down, but it would only be effective if every community took it seriously.
    (Which we know will not happen w/o enforcement.)

There were about 1,000 questions submitted -- some of them really interesting (things I had not thought/heard about) and some that were so totally fucking ignorant given the updates the CDC provides.

edited March 2020
    Was just on a large CDC Private Sector Partner group call with the Director, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, CDC

She had nothing really new to share beyond what we can read on their site.  She sounded in favor of a larger lockdown but would not commit to anything being taken action on federally, stating that it is being left to local governing bodies to make their own determinations.
    She did stress that the social distancing could and would work to slow this down, but it would only be effective if every community took it seriously.

There were about 1,000 questions submitted -- some of them really interesting (things I had not thought/heard about) and some that were so totally fucking ignorant given the updates the CDC provides.

I heard this morning that 7 states (including my home state of Missouri) have yet to ask their restaurants and bars to close, along with suggesting gatherings be limited to 10 or below.

• static111 said:
    static111 said:

I accept that you are right...that the kooks are going to claim their rights are being taken.
    The link I shared previously had ideas specifically around the plans, which I think meet what you mention -- guard enforced, if needed.  No bills paid/collected...services and food provided...etc.

Just fishing for a better solution -- letting individual locations/people do what they want is not a plan, in my opinion.
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Was just on a large CDC Private Sector Partner group call with the Director, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, CDC

I heard this morning that 7 states (including my home state of Missouri) have yet to ask their restaurants and bars to close, along with suggesting gatherings be limited to 10 or below.

Here in Austin we have and I think some of the other bigger cities as well, so far the Governor hasn’t made any statewide announcements.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Was just on a large CDC Private Sector Partner group call with the Director, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, CDC

Yep.  Some are not buying in -- which is understandable given how differently many of us think about stuff like this from one another...but what is necessary is strong leadership.  Make us do it if this is the clearest path to saving the lives and the economy.  Do not trust that we are all going to agree on anything.  We won't.
    I have that dynamic going on at my work right now.  I'm shut in my office, trying to keep social distancing, while several others are not taking the same approach. 
  • Hahaha.  
    I make it a point to try and avoid those types of cliches but it is tough

I dropped "touch base" or any variation years ago - nobody wants you to touch their base.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,004

"if" people take it seriously...

Yeah, that is one of many ways to prove the point that we won't take it seriously, as a group.  I get it.  I was 21 and a fucking idiot, too.  (Heck, I am 45 and many times still can be an idiot!)
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,004

Yeah, that is one of many ways to prove the point that we won't take it seriously, as a group.  I get it.  I was 21 and a fucking idiot, too.  (Heck, I am 45 and many times still can be an idiot!)
    We know...
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,056
    Post self isolating mistake-nap. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I am beyond thankful I haven't heard any of that coming from my husband these last few days.  Could be a game-changer!  (Another term that makes me cringe.)

I really want to bitch-slap Brady and his brethren.
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,461
    Post self isolating mistake-nap. 

Gosh she’s got a cute nose :)
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    So, what is the solution/best option to control covid in the US?

We know...

:lol:  
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,510
    static111 said:

You can check that data with the CDC, I’m not sure what inaccuracy you are citing.

At what point do you as a private citizen have the right to venture in public? Should there be some criteria that you are healthy and not a public health risk? we had to take the steps needed to save lives with a mostly asymptomatic disease where 80% are deadly carriers who probably thought they were healthy and comfortable, And the US failed to stop it while being told we did stop it. Now we suffer the consequences of that failed action and failed leadership.

Also before finding comfort, consider nearly half of those under 60 with preexisting conditions, in the general sense, are unaware of their preexisting condition. And therefore unaware of risks faced.

“ According to a new analysis by the Department of Health and Human Services, 50 to 129 million (19 to 50 percent of) non-elderly Americans have some type of pre-existing health condition. ”

Why the wide range? Because most of the younger population with such conditions are unaware. That is the problem with many comments in this topic. We are comfortable yet unaware we are a hazardous health risk.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    Costco is being asinine. In order to limit the number of people inside they are forcing people to line up outside. In a zig-zag line kind you. There’s probably 20 people within a 6 foot radius. Inside the store is completely empty compared to normal business days. I think they said they are limiting it to 100 people inside. 
    Do they not realize with a store as big as an arena, they can have 300 or 400 people inside and still. It be crowded, and.l not force people to stand in close proximity Waiting outside? I I just don’t understand the purpose of that. 

For the record, I saw the line and turned around and went home.
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
     mace1229 said:

For the record  =)

I'm in hiding...
    It's been about three days now
    Since I've been aground
    No longer overwhelmed and it seems so simple now
    It's funny when things change so much
    It's all state of mind

"The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,510
    static111 said:

This is a highly contagious and deadly asymptomatic disease, with a president spreading lies about it every day. Including this afternoon. 

The key word is asymptomatic. That’s why China took drastic action. It’s very possible the US gets many more cases than China. Because their leadership understood the danger of asymptomatic disease and North Americans are too busy finding their comforts.
    edited March 2020
    static111 said:

This is a highly contagious and deadly asymptomatic disease, with a president spreading lies about it every day. Including this afternoon. 

The key word is asymptomatic. That’s why China took drastic action. It’s very possible the US gets many more cases than China. Because their leadership understood the danger of asymptomatic disease and North Americans are too busy finding their comforts.
    Rather than try to work with the country that probably has the most useful data on this virus, it's better to try to throw China under the bus and turn US citizens against them.  Not to mention, every time Trump has a press conference, he's surrounded by 3-5 people standing behind him.  Way to set an example.

Post edited by Glorified KC on
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    mace1229 said:
    Costco is being asinine. In order to limit the number of people inside they are forcing people to line up outside. In a zig-zag line kind you. There’s probably 20 people within a 6 foot radius. Inside the store is completely empty compared to normal business days. I think they said they are limiting it to 100 people inside. 
    Do they not realize with a store as big as an arena, they can have 300 or 400 people inside and still. It be crowded, and.l not force people to stand in close proximity Waiting outside? I I just don’t understand the purpose of that. 

I've talked to a couple of Costco folks. The logic is that it is probably better for a crowd to be outside rather than inside. And the total space of the warehouse isn't the limiter for number of people, it is the ability to control the lines at the cash registers. They want people to be able to shop with proper distancing, and then walk right up to the cashier, pay and go. The more people you let inside at a time, the longer the lines are for the registers, and that's where the big issue is that they're trying to address.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
This discussion has been closed.