The coronavirus

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    DewieCox said:
    Anyone getting false comfort because covid "only happens to old people"

A member of the band we love, whose name is at the top of this page,  who is just 6 years from being in this high risk age category...

Also lives with well known ailment (that's been posted on porch historically), has talked about related incidents on stage during his career and this condition could affect immune system efficiency 

Anyone still going to post about how comforted they are in the covid pandemic?
    Does twisting words and tearing down any positive news or thoughts about this make  you feel better and  more woke? Mike’s not gonna send you a cookie. 

Do you even know the exact medical history of all of your friends, family and colleagues? Do you understand the slightest of medical conditions could put you or others close to you in grave danger?

We are living in a world of higher risk because our president took and communicated false comfort instead of taking actions other countries did to save lives. Instead of calling other members names, perhaps you should be better informed. 

Explain how exactly I am twisting the following words-

"It’s comforting because it explains what otherwise appeared to be anomalous data from Italy, and knowledge is power. And for me, it’s comforting because it tells me that my otherwise healthy under-60 friends and family are probably going to be okay physically."

And there it is. It’s like you’re wanting it to turn out as bad as possible so Trump looks worse. He’s basically bottomed out with this so take comfort in that and stop scolding people for having having a different mindset from you. If somebody’s being reckless, by all means call them on it, but you don’t get to decide how people react to every bit of news. It’s not reckless to say that under 60 are overwhelmingly more likely to be fine, which correlated with the cdc’s latest update. 

If it’s someone I care enough to visit with, damn sure I’m taking the risk level into account. Also, if the risk lies with someone the onus is on them to alleviate the risk ask much as possible. 

Name calling? 

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Off with her head!!!

Man, this place sometimes. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,004
    rgambs said:
    Fellow NYers.

Deblasio wants Shelter in Place  for the 5 Burroughs and Cuomo does not.  Reason is it's stupid to have one area with it only to have multiple people leave those areas and move about the state.

I am expecting a full shut down of NY soon w only first responders and essential personnel working.

Agree that it is silly to have this in place in some spots and not others.  It is better than not doing it at all but it should be done federally. 
    I buy into this position but can understand why most will not and I also do not think it will happen, although Ackerman clearly does.

The idea that I ever would have considered a full 30 day lock-down to be the best option for our economy/shot at continuing American life as we know it is a complete joke, to me.  Yet....here we are.
    Absolutely disagree, the population density in the 5 Burroughs and their burbs is insane, and that makes it a hugely high risk area.  The physical proximity of people, not to mention the traditionally "hardened" attitude of New Yorkers (that's the nicest term I could think of lol) coupled with the relative lack of hospital capacity makes for a disaster scenario that the rest of New York doesn't necessarily face.
    Very true.  

The "hardened" attitudes of people here makes it a bad thing.  You should hear some of the things I hear,lol.

You will most certainly have some defiant idiots that will ruin it for everyone else or the certain people that think they have privilege that rules don't apply to them.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    mcgruff10 said:
    I think I saw an unfortunate update today regarding this family.
    im sorry for your loss and can’t fathom the devastation this family and so many others are dealing with right now. 
    Don’t stop posting because of some jerks who jumped on your ass about your friends mask. I have construction masks from spraying I did 3 years ago. Seriously people. 
    So don’t stop posting because it seemed to help you and sometimes just reading helps those who don’t post. 
    Keep climbing trees and meditating and for everyone remember what’s important and listen to “Just Breathe” 
    Thanks I appreciate it.  Third family member passed last night.  The guy I personally know is still in a coma/sedated and on a ventilator.  They have no clue what to tell the wife.  It really is horrific.  It is so weird that only one side of the family has fallen ill.  
    https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/03/nj-family-loses-3rd-member-to-coronavirus-as-devastation-continues.html
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,574
    edited March 2020
    Sometimes I read a right of center forum. Wanted to see if any AMT folks agree?

"It certainly seems like the Constitution is not currently in effect; with the freedom to assemble and the liberty to move about savagely curtailed, and our fundamental rights eroding to nil in the name of public safety. Hardly anyone seems to care either. Fear has swept the country, and the will of the people to resist the hamfist of state has crumpled.

So what threshold did we really cross? How many people need to be in danger before we just quit? Who gets to decide when enough is enough? The media? The trending hashtags? At what point does the constitution no longer impede our collective demands for reactionary government? Do we get a line in the sand?

Going forward, will every flu season inspire quarantines? Will every scary news story demand compliance to the powers that be? Do we just mark the constitution up with a big asterisk that says "Only when things are OK.", or do we just shred the thing altogether?

It's disheartening to see fear as the chief motivating factor for modern society at this point. We are totally vulnerable to the wills of any power capable of convincing the masses that they are in grave danger. We've supplanted self determination and personal responsibility with compliance to a shared narrative framework.

We've come full circle from the age of enlightenment to the dark ages. All it took was the threat of plague. And that's the real cost here.

Lives will be lost, grief will be suffered. But it's the liberty we choose to give away that stains our generation."

---Right Wing Libertarian,  17 March 2020 

Lets pick this article apart and show it for the piece of trash it is:

"Constitution is not currently in effect; with the freedom to assemble and the liberty to move about savagely curtailed..."
    This kind of thinking is knee jerk and akin to saying freedom of speech means it's OK to yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater.

"So what threshold did we really cross?"
    We don't know yet and that's why we are doing what we can to slow this thing down.  It could be worse than what we know about it so far and most of us don't want to throw caution to the wind and find out.

"Going forward, will every flu season inspire quarantines?"
    OK, that right there shows how much of an idiot this writer is.

"Do we just mark the constitution up with a big asterisk..."
    Hyperbole and reactionary writing to not make for a good argument.

"It's disheartening to see fear as the chief motivating factor for modern society at this point."
    Fear is all about doing nothing, or nothing that makes sense.  More reactionary writing.  Yes we're afraid of COVID-19 right now and that is a normal reaction.  Paranoid (in it's truest sense of the word) conspiracy bullshit is worse than normal fear.

"Lives will be lost, grief will be suffered. But it's the liberty we choose to give away that stains our generation.." 
    Grand eloquence or typical right wing bullshit?  This guy is clueless.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    From WaPo
    Younger adults are large percentage of coronavirus hospitalizations in United States, according to new CDC data
    Centers for Disease Control and Prevention analysis of U.S. cases from Feb. 12 to March 16 released Wednesday shows 38 percent of those sick enough to be hospitalized were younger than 55.

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    brianlux said:

"It certainly seems like the Constitution is not currently in effect; with the freedom to assemble and the liberty to move about savagely curtailed, and our fundamental rights eroding to nil in the name of public safety. Hardly anyone seems to care either. Fear has swept the country, and the will of the people to resist the hamfist of state has crumpled.

So what threshold did we really cross? How many people need to be in danger before we just quit? Who gets to decide when enough is enough? The media? The trending hashtags? At what point does the constitution no longer impede our collective demands for reactionary government? Do we get a line in the sand?

Going forward, will every flu season inspire quarantines? Will every scary news story demand compliance to the powers that be? Do we just mark the constitution up with a big asterisk that says "Only when things are OK.", or do we just shred the thing altogether?

It's disheartening to see fear as the chief motivating factor for modern society at this point. We are totally vulnerable to the wills of any power capable of convincing the masses that they are in grave danger. We've supplanted self determination and personal responsibility with compliance to a shared narrative framework.

We've come full circle from the age of enlightenment to the dark ages. All it took was the threat of plague. And that's the real cost here.

Lives will be lost, grief will be suffered. But it's the liberty we choose to give away that stains our generation."

"Constitution is not currently in effect; with the freedom to assemble and the liberty to move about savagely curtailed..."
    This kind of thinking is knee jerk and akin to saying freedom of speech means it's OK to yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater.

We don't know yet and that's why we are doing what we can to slow this thing down.  It could be worse than what we know about it so far and most of us don't want to throw caution to the wind and find out.

"It's disheartening to see fear as the chief motivating factor for modern society at this point."
    Fear is all about doing nothing, or nothing that makes sense.  More reactionary writing.  Yes we're afraid of COVID-19 right now and that is a normal reaction.  Paranoid (in it's truest sense of the word) conspiracy bullshit is worse than normal fear.

"Lives will be lost, grief will be suffered. But it's the liberty we choose to give away that stains our generation.." 

Great response.

I do think caution needs exercised and can sympathize with that mindset to a point. Nothing is below a piece of shit  politician and I hope people make note of any that use this fear to further an agenda. 
    brianlux said:

I wouldn't pose it as trash.  It asks questions that the writer is unable to answer though.

I am surprised that more people havent jumped on the "fascist" bandwagon with what may happen.  I do remember people being in an uproar after the Patriot act was signed.

Certain people will start looking for the conspiracies soon enough.
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Did the GOP just sign a death warrant for 6 million?

Republican Sen. Ron Johnson cast doubt on the severity of federally issued guidance aimed at staunching the spread of the novel coronavirus, urging people to consider the economic drawbacks of the recommendations

"I'm not denying what a nasty disease COVID-19 can be, and how it's obviously devastating to somewhere between 1 and 3.4 percent of the population," Johnson, a Wisconsin Republican, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Tuesday. "But that means 97 to 99 percent will get through this and develop immunities and will be able to move beyond this."

But we don't shut down our economy because tens of thousands of people die on the highways. It's a risk we accept so we can move about," 

It's just a bad version of the flu. My garbage man used to be a doctor and told me so while picking up my trash.

"between 1 and 3.4 percent" of 320 million is not measured in thousands, a$$hole GOP Senator. Try many millions. Go back to sniffing Trump's arse.
    The math is off but the premise isn’t crazy.  Sure it might be too early to make this decision, but depending on how long it goes on it is a decision that might have to be made. I mean how long can we realistically let the world be at a complete standstill? 12 months, 18, 2 years?  The best projections for a working vaccine suggest 18 months....what are we supposed to do until then? Especially those of us who have had their livelihoods put at major risk.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,067
    5th death today..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,460
    Gin and tonics for everyone!!!

“President Donald Trump says he's pushed the Food and Drug Administration to eliminate barriers to getting therapeutics for Coronavirus to patients.

He said a drug currently used as an antimalarial -- hydroxychloroquine -- would be made available almost immediately to treat coronavirus.

"It's been around for a long time so we know if things don't go as planned it's not going to kill anybody," Trump told reporters at the White House.”

http://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/politics/trump-fda-anti-viral-treatments-coronavirus/index.html
  • static111 said:

Republican Sen. Ron Johnson cast doubt on the severity of federally issued guidance aimed at staunching the spread of the novel coronavirus, urging people to consider the economic drawbacks of the recommendations

"I'm not denying what a nasty disease COVID-19 can be, and how it's obviously devastating to somewhere between 1 and 3.4 percent of the population," Johnson, a Wisconsin Republican, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Tuesday. "But that means 97 to 99 percent will get through this and develop immunities and will be able to move beyond this."

But we don't shut down our economy because tens of thousands of people die on the highways. It's a risk we accept so we can move about," 

It's just a bad version of the flu. My garbage man used to be a doctor and told me so while picking up my trash.

"between 1 and 3.4 percent" of 320 million is not measured in thousands, a$$hole GOP Senator. Try many millions. Go back to sniffing Trump's arse.
    The math is off but the premise isn’t crazy.  Sure it might be too early to make this decision, but depending on how long it goes on it is a decision that might have to be made. I mean how long can we realistically let the world be at a complete standstill? 12 months, 18, 2 years?  The best projections for a working vaccine suggest 18 months....what are we supposed to do until then? Especially those of us who have had their livelihoods put at major risk.

Look at what China did, look at what Italy is doing, learn from it.  If we do not retard the spread of this the problem is going to be worse than if we do.  Take a federal approach and get serious about keeping people away from each other.  Focus all energies on the support system/working against the disease instead of trying to string things along.  Stop any payments/collections.  After the 30 days we have a better plan, we re-open stuff and find a way.  Right now, it seems like we are letting everyone do what works best for them.
    How in the heck is that going to get us the result we need?

I don't know the right answers....like I shared above, the take I watched yesterday on a national lockdown to protect the people & the economy for a short while seems like a better response than what we are doing now.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,012
    static111 said:

Look at what China did, look at what Italy is doing, learn from it.  If we do not retard the spread of this the problem is going to be worse than if we do.  Take a federal approach and get serious about keeping people away from each other.  Focus all energies on the support system/working against the disease instead of trying to string things along.  Stop any payments/collections.  After the 30 days we have a better plan, we re-open stuff and find a way.  Right now, it seems like we are letting everyone do what works best for them.
    How in the heck is that going to get us the result we need?

I don't know the right answers....like I shared above, the take I watched yesterday on a national lockdown to protect the people & the economy for a short while seems like a better response than what we are doing now.

Agreed.
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    "We're not a shipping clerk."—President Trump - On wanting state governors to buy ventilators, medical supplies.

Funny, we seem to be able to ship shit all over the world for military needs, but getting ventilators to states for people is ridiculous. 
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,482
    hedonist said:
    Off with her head!!!

off with who's head?
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• myoung321 said:
    "We're not a shipping clerk."—President Trump - On wanting state governors to buy ventilators, medical supplies.

Funny, we seem to be able to ship shit all over the world for military needs, but getting ventilators to states for people is ridiculous. 

We know that if he could get them all and send them out he would do it, in a heartbeat.
    "Beautiful action.  Some are calling it the Greatest Action.  I agree.  Anything to help our states Make America Great Again and contain the China Flu"

He cannot, so he will let others (with fewer resources and pull) try.
    hedonist said:
    Off with her head!!!

off with who's head?
    often. 
  • KatKat Posts: 4,831
    The chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee warned a small group of well-connected constituents three weeks ago to prepare for dire economic and societal effects of the coronavirus, according to a secret recording obtained by NPR.

The remarks from U.S. Sen. Richard Burr were more stark than any he had delivered in more public forums.

On Feb. 27, when the United States had 15 confirmed cases of COVID-19, President Trump was tamping down fears and suggesting that the virus could be seasonal.

"It's going to disappear. One day, it's like a miracle. It will disappear," the president said then, before adding, "it could get worse before it gets better. It could maybe go away. We'll see what happens."

On that same day, Burr attended a luncheon held at a social club called the Capitol Hill Club. And he delivered a much more alarming message.

continued at
    https://www.npr.org/2020/03/19/818192535/burr-recording-sparks-questions-about-private-comments-on-covid-19
    Falling down,...not staying down
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:
    Off with her head!!!

off with who's head?
    often. 
    ok, i was confused, as i only see one member attacking often, so when you said "this place sometimes" i took that to mean a group. 

www.headstonesband.com

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,574
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    PUT THE COOKIE DOWN. i fucking love that man. 

www.headstonesband.com

I didn’t think he had a girly dog (said ala Arnold) :lol:
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,247
    So the Trump administration last year was warned that the US wasn't ready for a pandemic. Guess they didnt need the warning. 
    brianlux said:
    He couldn't be more humble than that, lol?!?
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,387
    jeffbr said:
    From WaPo
    Younger adults are large percentage of coronavirus hospitalizations in United States, according to new CDC data
    Centers for Disease Control and Prevention analysis of U.S. cases from Feb. 12 to March 16 released Wednesday shows 38 percent of those sick enough to be hospitalized were younger than 55.

Thanks Jefferson! I was looking for this study yesterday after Trump referred to it. I'm glad to have an update on the stats!
    Here is the number breakdown from that chart:

As of March 16, a total of 4,226 COVID-19 cases had been reported in the United States, with reports increasing to 500 or more cases per day beginning March 14 (Figure 1). Among 2,449 patients with known age, 6% were aged ≥85, 25% were aged 65–84 years, 18% each were aged 55–64 years and 45–54 years, and 29% were aged 20–44 years (Figure 2). Only 5% of cases occurred in persons aged 0–19 years.

Among 508 (12%) patients known to have been hospitalized, 9% were aged ≥85 years, 26% were aged 65–84 years, 17% were aged 55–64 years, 18% were 45–54 years, and 20% were aged 20–44 years. Less than 1% of hospitalizations were among persons aged ≤19 years (Figure 2). The percentage of persons hospitalized increased with age, from 2%–3% among persons aged ≤9 years, to ≥31% among adults aged ≥85 years. (Table).

Among 121 patients known to have been admitted to an ICU, 7% of cases were reported among adults ≥85 years, 46% among adults aged 65–84 years, 36% among adults aged 45–64 years, and 12% among adults aged 20–44 years (Figure 2). No ICU admissions were reported among persons aged ≤19 years. Percentages of ICU admissions were lowest among adults aged 20–44 years (2%–4%) and highest among adults aged 75–84 years (11%–31%) (Table).

Among 44 cases with known outcome, 15 (34%) deaths were reported among adults aged ≥85 years, 20 (46%) among adults aged 65–84 years, and nine (20%) among adults aged 20–64 years. Case-fatality percentages increased with increasing age, from no deaths reported among persons aged ≤19 years to highest percentages (10%–27%) among adults aged ≥85 years (Table) (Figure 2).

• dankinddankind Posts: 20,832

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • brianlux said:
    He couldn't be more humble than that, lol?!?

Yeah his message was spot on but I laughed about his going for a bike ride, getting a work out in, and then jumping in the hot tube w/a cigar.  Sorta the wrong tone, to me, but I fully support the message and am glad for all to be sharing shit like this. 
    Gotta love the Ahnold.
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,461
    edited March 2020
    nevermind 
    Post edited by JPPJ84 on
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,282
    brianlux said:
    Legend 
    nicknyr15 said:
    brianlux said: