The coronavirus

Comments

• dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    daily average nearly 500 new covid cases here. it's nuts. religious rally at the city legislature anti-maskers on saturday. fuck these people. 
    Is that up or down for you guys? I haven't been following Manitoba's numbers.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    they loosened restrictions when we were getting about 50-70 cases per day and the test positivity was about 3%. then about 4-5 weeks after that, shit exploded. averaging 500 cases per day, test positivity is now about 14%. so we're in full lockdown, kids k-12 are remote learning until May 30. 

people are fucking stupid. even though restrictions were loosened, we were still smart about it and kept to the guidelines. our chief medical officer kept talking in press conferences, imploring parents to stop having fucking sleepovers. SLEEPOVERS. during a pandemic. morons. so that's why we're in this full lockdown shit again. 

this is why I laugh when I see anyone say lockdowns don't work. anyone who says lockdowns don't work is completely out to fucking lunch (or maybe canadians just listen to our public health professionals?). our case load and test positivity are a direct result of whatever restrictions we're under. no question about it. free reign? CHAOS. lockdown? low cases/positivity. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

edited May 2021
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/16/media/sanjay-gupta-cdc-mask-messaging/index.html

Dr, Sanjay Gupta, CNN's chief medical correspondent, says CDC made a critical error in their messaging about masks last week. 

www.headstonesband.com

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    daily average nearly 500 new covid cases here. it's nuts. religious rally at the city legislature anti-maskers on saturday. fuck these people. 
    Is 500 cases for your city/province/country?  To me 500 cases for a province or country would be incredibly low and zero need to panic.  In nj we are finally under 1000 cases per day and life seems to be getting back to normal.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    mcgruff10 said:
    Is 500 cases for your city/province/country?  To me 500 cases for a province or country would be incredibly low and zero need to panic.  In nj we are finally under 1000 cases per day and life seems to be getting back to normal.  
    It’s cases in the province of Manitoba, which has a population a wee bit smaller than New Jersey. About 1.3 million vs about 9 million, so 500 cases isn’t great. 

BC reported 494 new cases on Friday with a population of about 4 million. We’re trending downward, thankfully. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,807
    I’ve always thought that the number of cases was somewhat irrelevant due to testing expanding by the day

Covid deaths are at their lowest 7 day average since the pandemic started in the states, and that’s the number that matters to me
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • PapPap Posts: 28,751
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
    mcgruff10 said:
    500 per day is huge here. adjusting for population, that would be more than 5 thousand cases in Ontario per day.

it's less about the number of cases (but that does of course factor into it) and more about test positivity and how filled our ICU's are getting. we're getting near capacity in that area. 

with our test positivity being at nearly 15%, I recall early on in the pandemic we were told it would be cause for panic if we got to 3%. 

www.headstonesband.com

Manitoba is now able to lay claim to the worst per capita covid infection rate in North America. Hazzah. 

www.headstonesband.com

• ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    Manitoba is now able to lay claim to the worst per capita covid infection rate in North America. Hazzah. 

It wasn't that long ago that we had an uptick in BC and were worse than Alberta and the other prairie provinces.   I guess it comes and goes which province/state is the worst depending when that government decided to lock more things down (or in the case of the US when the Vaccine became widespread). 
    Zod said:

It wasn't that long ago that we had an uptick in BC and were worse than Alberta and the other prairie provinces.   I guess it comes and goes which province/state is the worst depending when that government decided to lock more things down (or in the case of the US when the Vaccine became widespread). 
    it's just kind of funny to me how our Premier continues to:

a) claim Manitoba had the tightest restrictions of any region in Canada (false-I recall a friend in Vancouver told us they weren't allowed to leave their yard at one point except for essentials)

b) it's all Trudeau's fault, for, pretty much everything. 

www.headstonesband.com

• 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,092
    I had a tired day but after reading some of the posts here, my mood getting better..
    the best was that about PJ should ask vaccination passport from the members or something like that..lol..

"Now it's tomorrow and everything has change"..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    Took that from us here in Alberta. It's a mighty feat to fuck up more than us and our government.
    dignin said:
    Took that from us here in Alberta. It's a mighty feat to fuck up more than us and our government.
    I said to my wife that I thought it was a big mistake to open up as much as they did back in March. But I get it that they have to weigh public buy in, but man, did they ever fuck this up. 

www.headstonesband.com

• benjsbenjs Posts: 9,097
    edited May 2021
    I'm planning on booking my shot in Bobcaygeon, for the exclusive reason of being able to sing "it was in Bobcaygeon, where I got my vaccination".
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,490
    Pj should  play evacuation but. Vaccination instead.  
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    benjs said:
    I'm planning on booking my shot in Bobcaygeon, for the exclusive reason of being able to sing "it was in Bobcaygeon, where I got my vaccination".
    LOL that's awesome Ben

www.headstonesband.com

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    benjs said:
    Awesome!
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    and you just know Gord would have sung that lyric at their next live show, right after Vaccination Scar. 

www.headstonesband.com

• Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,807
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,083
    My head hurts.
    I feel warm
    I am super tired
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739

The life and loneliness of youth under pandemic restrictions

A real good watch about  the effects of pandemic restrictions from the viewpoint of a 7th grader…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    Interesting and encouraging immunization data released from BC today. First dose immunization rates for cohorts of the population as follows:

Age 70+  86%
    Age 60+  82%
    Age 50+  77%
    Age 40+  70%
    Physicians:  95% (I did not see figures released for any other health professionals). 

55.5% of eligible adults in BC vaccinated now overall.

So we are off to a good start but need to make sure that as the age cohort drops we continue to get good uptake of the vaccines. It is a bit worrying that the 40+ group drops off the 70%, but they haven't been eligible for all that long so fingers crossed they are still in the process of booking and getting in for their shots. As of this week BC is booking all adults and I'm really curious what we'll see with the 20 somethings. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    nicknyr15 said:
    the NY Post is terrible and Greg Abbott is a Neanderthal

ftfa:
    "But while the Lone Star State tallied zero fatalities that day, officials in the highly populated Dallas County no longer report new coronavirus data on Sundays — and the CDC’s tracker shows that Texas had 305 coronavirus deaths overall last week."

"A total of 650 more coronavirus cases were reported in Texas on Sunday, including 595 new cases, according to the Dallasnews.com, which noted county health officials don’t report new coronavirus data on Sundays."

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,490
    A long way from over
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,692
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

ftfa:
    "But while the Lone Star State tallied zero fatalities that day, officials in the highly populated Dallas County no longer report new coronavirus data on Sundays — and the CDC’s tracker shows that Texas had 305 coronavirus deaths overall last week."

"A total of 650 more coronavirus cases were reported in Texas on Sunday, including 595 new cases, according to the Dallasnews.com, which noted county health officials don’t report new coronavirus data on Sundays."

So, the key to not having any deaths is to skip reporting them? What a brilliant idea! Why not take it a step further and not report positive tests too. Pandemic over, problem solved.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,561
    Zero, pfft. Mental gymnastics and those who want to believe, run with it. Spreading misinformation is easy, even on the AMT. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,038
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

ftfa:

So, the key to not having any deaths is to skip reporting them? What a brilliant idea! Why not take it a step further and not report positive tests too. Pandemic over, problem solved.

The only reason America had so many positive cases was because we tested so many people. 

Stupid libs don't understand anything. 
This discussion has been closed.