The coronavirus

Comments

• ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    PJNB said:
    Canada looking like it is light years behind the US regarding opening up and loosening restrictions. I know we are behind in vaccines but even that green fall restriction guideline does not have me super excited for seeing concerts again anytime soon here. 

I think America is ahead of most places, which is going to cause interesting things with the border.  I'm guessing with the US situation getting under control they're going to want to reopen the border.   

I'm only getting my first shot in a few days, and they still need to work from the 40s down to the 12s.   Then rinse and repeat.   It is possible the US might start exporting even more vaccines which could expedite our efforts?

I think we're doing pretty good for a country that's had no capacity to make vaccines for a long while.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,426
    edited May 2021
    Zod said:
    PJNB said:
    Canada looking like it is light years behind the US regarding opening up and loosening restrictions. I know we are behind in vaccines but even that green fall restriction guideline does not have me super excited for seeing concerts again anytime soon here. 

I think America is ahead of most places, which is going to cause interesting things with the border.  I'm guessing with the US situation getting under control they're going to want to reopen the border.   

I'm only getting my first shot in a few days, and they still need to work from the 40s down to the 12s.   Then rinse and repeat.   It is possible the US might start exporting even more vaccines which could expedite our efforts?

I think we're doing pretty good for a country that's had no capacity to make vaccines for a long while.
    Ya I think we are doing ok all things considered with vaccinations. I was critical in the past on spacing out the shots but evidence is showing now that it might be more beneficial to do so. I hope those that got their first shot however are going to get their second too. 

I do not see 75% of the population getting their shot though. Maybe I am wrong but that is not a number that will be attainable by fall or ever. I see more than 25% of the population passing on this vaccine in Canada.  I am hoping that that they are posting such a large number that they are in order to try and convince those on the fence to get the shot to help towards herd immunity and opening back up. When they do not reach that number what then? We just sit idle waiting for what? People to slowly get sick and get herd immunity through infection? 

I get the US is ahead too but if you look at those restrictions this whole  summer they are advising masks indoors and out for vaccinated people. That is ridiculous imo. The restrictions that they are showing being lifted by fall are pretty weak compared to wear the US stands today with restrictions. Maybe that can change but to have 75% of your population full vaccinated by the fall and still have a note saying you will still need to follow some public health measures is bullshit imo. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    PJNB said:

Yeah, when I was reading yesterday about the goal of 75% vaccine coverage before loosening up restrictions I got a bit disheartened. It’s a pretty high bar to require. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited May 2021
    Zod said:
    PJNB said:

I think vaccinations are coming along really well now after a slow start. We are behind the US and the UK but ahead of almost every other major country in doses given per capita (leaving aside tiny little places like Monaco - it’s easy to vaccinate your population when you only have a few tens of thousands in a small space). 

I am usually in favour of being cautious about lifting restrictions but these guidelines out-caution even me :lol:  Ah well, this will help avoid another wave, and if things go really well with the US reopening then perhaps we will speed up a bit. 

Edit: Anyone over 20 is eligible to book their vaccine appointment as of today in BC; not sure about the other provinces. 
    Post edited by oftenreading on
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,074
    Thankful for Warp Speed.

Can't believe people are so small they can't acknowledge the speed with which we had a vaccine. 
    pay attention.

once again, for those in the back  PFIZER WAS NOT INVOLVED WITH OPERATION WARP SPEED!!

typical trumper. not being informed, and giving dear leader credit for shit dear leader had nothing to do with.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    Zod said:
    PJNB said:

I think vaccinations are coming along really well now after a slow start. We are behind the US and the UK but ahead of almost every other major country in doses given per capita (leaving aside tiny little places like Monaco - it’s easy to vaccinate your population when you only have a few tens of thousands in a small space). 

I am usually in favour of being cautious about lifting restrictions but these guidelines out-caution even me :lol:  Ah well, this will help avoid another wave, and if things go really well with the US reopening then perhaps we will speed up a bit. 

Edit: Anyone over 20 is eligible to book their vaccine appointment as of today in BC; not sure about the other provinces. 
    This last Monday Alberta opened the vaccine up to everyone 12 and over. It looks like our covid numbers here are finally starting to fall too. I think combo of nice weather, vaccines and our new restrictions the covid numbers will fall off a cliff.

I'm very optimistic about this summer. I should have my second AstraZeneca shot by the end of July at the latest. The darkest days are behind us, fingers crossed.

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    dignin said:
    Zod said:
    PJNB said:

This last Monday Alberta opened the vaccine up to everyone 12 and over. It looks like our covid numbers here are finally starting to fall too. I think combo of nice weather, vaccines and our new restrictions the covid numbers will fall off a cliff.

I'm very optimistic about this summer. I should have my second AstraZeneca shot by the end of July at the latest. The darkest days are behind us, fingers crossed.

All good news.  Hang on until July...
    This is my county, metro Richmond, VA.  We only had 9 new cases in the last 24 hours.  Two weeks ago, it was 54.  So things are dropping very quickly.  Vax + sane precautions have worked.  Kids have been back in school for a few months too.

dignin said:
    Zod said:
    PJNB said:

Good news! Stay safe in the meantime. 

I am fortunate enough to have received both doses and am 10 days past the second. I must admit it does provide a big sense of relief. 
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,097
    Thankful for Warp Speed.

Can't believe people are so small they can't acknowledge the speed with which we had a vaccine. 
    You tiny little person - why should anyone be wasting a single breath on the guy who never spoke for most, and made critical thought a party sin?

Trump convinced susceptible morons that the virus didn't exist when he knew otherwise. To anyone with a sense of decency, that's unforgivable. Biden took a different position and encouraged rational evidence-driven thought, and deaths decreased under his watch. Even if Trump had absolutely excelled at Project Warp Speed, it wouldn't hold a candle to the damage he has done to this democracy and the social fabric. 

'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    edited May 2021
    Thankful for Warp Speed.

pay attention.

once again, for those in the back  PFIZER WAS NOT INVOLVED WITH OPERATION WARP SPEED!!

typical trumper. not being informed, and giving dear leader credit for shit dear leader had nothing to do with.
    They were. Just not in the same sense as other organizations. They didn’t receive funding for development, but did receive $2 billion for delivery, manufacturing and distribution of a vaccine. That was still part of the program.
    https://www.politifact.com/article/2020/nov/19/pfizer-moderna-covid-19-vaccines-and-operation-war/
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    mace1229 said:
    Thankful for Warp Speed.

pay attention.

They were. Just not in the same sense as other organizations. They didn’t receive funding for development, but did receive $2 billion for delivery and distribution of a vaccine.
    Pfizer entered into a contract to sell vaccine to the US government. While the money from the contract probably helped to fund the development, they could have entered into a similar contract with many other countries, and in fact did. They of course expected to be paid to provide a product. 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332
    This is just about the dumbest shit to argue about. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    We have argued about far dumber shit than this on AMT :lol: 
    I need to revisit the mustard discussion.  It's really been weighing on me. 
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,807
    mrussel1 said:
    This is my county, metro Richmond, VA.  We only had 9 new cases in the last 24 hours.  Two weeks ago, it was 54.  So things are dropping very quickly.  Vax + sane precautions have worked.  Kids have been back in school for a few months too.

I’m moving to Richmond next month, just a fun fact.  Heard great things and am excited for the move!
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
    mrussel1 said:

We have argued over whether Donald Trump's comb-over was attractive.

The mustard discussion at least has real world value. 
    edited May 2021
    mrussel1 said:

I’m moving to Richmond next month, just a fun fact.  Heard great things and am excited for the move!
    Hey that's great.  There's a few guys on the board from here.  Are you moving into the city or one of the counties?

And aren't you from Cleveland? I'm from the west side (Strongsville). You'll love the weather here.  The winter is not bad at all and only July to August beats you up with heat. 
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
    Getting back to covid news, in the US 47% of the population has received at least one shot of vaccine. In Canada, despite all the whining and griping from some, 44% of the population has received at least one shot. Of course the US has a much higher percentage of individuals who have received both shots, but Canada is vaccinating a growing percentage each day, whereas in the US daily vaccinations are shrinking. Polls suggest that a smaller percentage of Canadians than Americans do not intend to get vaccinated at all, and a modest chunk are still on the fence (what are you waiting for, fence-sitters? an engraved invitation?)

Unless things change it won't be long until Canada has a higher percentage of people with at least one shot. I hope this doesn't derail the plans to reopen the border.
    Getting back to covid news, in the US 47% of the population has received at least one shot of vaccine. In Canada, despite all the whining and griping from some, 44% of the population has received at least one shot. Of course the US has a much higher percentage of individuals who have received both shots, but Canada is vaccinating a growing percentage each day, whereas in the US daily vaccinations are shrinking. Polls suggest that a smaller percentage of Canadians than Americans do not intend to get vaccinated at all, and a modest chunk are still on the fence (what are you waiting for, fence-sitters? an engraved invitation?)

Unless things change it won't be long until Canada has a higher percentage of people with at least one shot. I hope this doesn't derail the plans to reopen the border.
    There's no doubt that Canada will have a higher percentage of vaccinated people.  I'd put 20 to 1 on it without blinking.  We politicize everything here and create idiots. 
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,302

They’re holding out for a raffle ticket for an AR15.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    mrussel1 said:

There's no doubt that Canada will have a higher percentage of vaccinated people.  I'd put 20 to 1 on it without blinking.  We politicize everything here and create idiots. 
    It’s not great and I sure wish this wasn’t the situation, for lots of reasons. 
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,807
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Hey that's great.  There's a few guys on the board from here.  Are you moving into the city or one of the counties?

And aren't you from Cleveland? I'm from the west side (Strongsville). You'll love the weather here.  The winter is not bad at all and only July to August beats you up with heat. 
    Yes I am, grew up In Cleveland mostly east side Willoughby area.  Spent the last few years in Massachusetts for residency but starting private practice in Scotts Addition/The Fan area next month
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,743
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yes I am, grew up In Cleveland mostly east side Willoughby area.  Spent the last few years in Massachusetts for residency but starting private practice in Scotts Addition/The Fan area next month

So Doc, I have this pain when I go like this......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,175
    https://twitter.com/mhdksafa/status/1393786585204805632?s=21
    Uhmm I never thought about it this way! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,663
    Now imagine if focksnooze had been around when the polio vaccine was invented
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,175
    Now imagine if focksnooze had been around when the polio vaccine was invented
    Yeah unreal to think he’s still got juice from his cult that they are banking on him running again in 24 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    daily average nearly 500 new covid cases here. it's nuts. religious rally at the city legislature anti-maskers on saturday. fuck these people. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,083
    A friend told me Sweden was now the worst country in Europe regarding spread.

I LOVED US MORE WHEN ABBA WON THE EUROVISON SONG CONTEST IN 74!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • MalrothMalroth Posts: 2,512
    mrussel1 said:

Mustard? Where?
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
This discussion has been closed.