Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,848
    I'll admit....I don't know who to believe now. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    edited May 2021
    Interesting article by Nicholas Wade, a Nobel Prize winning science writer who wrote for the science section of the New York Times for many years, on the theory of the virus originating from the lab in Wuhan….

https://thebulletin.org/2021/05/the-origin-of-covid-did-people-or-nature-open-pandoras-box-at-wuhan/amp/

1. Why does Ayn Rand think Fauci is lying under oath? He was quite clear that the NIH provided funding to research SARS origins and that it would be irresponsible not to do so. 

2. He said multiple times that we did not fund gain of function. 

3. Ayn Rand Paul said 3 million people have died.  He also said mortality is 1%.  Aren't you going to take issue with these numbers? You've argued with me multiple times that these numbers are way inflated. 
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Interesting article by Nicholas Wade, a Nobel Prize winning science writer who wrote for the science section of the New York Times for many years, on the theory of the virus originating from the lab in Wuhan….

https://thebulletin.org/2021/05/the-origin-of-covid-did-people-or-nature-open-pandoras-box-at-wuhan/amp/

1. Why does Ayn Rand think Fauci is lying under oath? He was quite clear that the NIH provided funding to research SARS origins and that it would be irresponsible not to do so. 

3. Ayn Rand Paul said 3 million people have died.  He also said mortality is 1%.  Aren't you going to take issue with these numbers? You've argued with me multiple times that these numbers are way inflated. 
    he did say "we did not fund gain of function in Wuhan". he qualified the location every denial. like it's possible they funded gain of function on north carolina. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

he did say "we did not fund gain of function in Wuhan". he qualified the location every denial. like it's possible they funded gain of function on north carolina. 
    He did not deny nor has anyone denied that the research is being done in the States.  If Paul wants to stop that, he can write a bill or work with the NIH/White House to change that policy. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,250
    Another gotcha moment that simpletons can latch on to without actually listening and doing their own research on the topic. Soundbytes are a shit way to gain information. Thankfully they've been mostly replaced by Tweets :neutral:
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Another gotcha moment that simpletons can latch on to without actually listening and doing their own research on the topic. Soundbytes are a shit way to gain information. Thankfully they've been mostly replaced by Tweets :neutral:
    I think this was the whole exchange between Fauci and Paul so credit there to the twitter.  Regardless, Fauci was emphatic in his position and Ayn just ignored what he said.  He started with his conclusion and was going to say it over and over regardless of what Fauci testified. 
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    i read the entire article that ledbetterman posted. everything Rand Paul said in that exchange is correct or at least very debatable. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergs said:
    i read the entire article that ledbetterman posted. everything Rand Paul said in that exchange is correct or at least very debatable. 
    1. I don't think any of us understand virology to the point where we could say it isn't debatable. 
    2. Even the article admits that there is no real proof of either theory of the origin.  
    3. Fauci doesn't argue that the NIH didn't provide funding, but says that what grant specified is not Gain of Function, whereas the author states that it is.  I have no clue who is right. 

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,250
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    1. I don't think any of us understand virology to the point where we could say it isn't debatable. 
    2. Even the article admits that there is no real proof of either theory of the origin.  
    3. Fauci doesn't argue that the NIH didn't provide funding, but says that what grant specified is not Gain of Function, whereas the author states that it is.  I have no clue who is right. 

This is where I'm at. Nothing conclusive, but leaning one way, at least based on the assessment presented. This is where someone who is good at writing persuasive arguments can do a lot of damage. Yes, well written and based on a lot of personal knowledge on the matter, but not necessarily the end all be all. I think a lot of it is probably going to be proven true, but back to my earlier comment, some will only choose to pull the parts out that support their belief and ignore that which doesn't. This is dangerous because the anti science crowd likes to pounce on anything they can and run with it when it suits their narrative.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:

1. of course. I guess I mean debatable in terms of what he said vs the article. it was almost as if Paul wrote the arti-, hey.....lol
    2. correct, but the facts and odds it bears out sure leans heavily towards lab origin
    3. me neither. but this is the most damning thing I've seen that is even remotely credible that the right has been saying all along. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:

1. of course. I guess I mean debatable in terms of what he said vs the article. it was almost as if Paul wrote the arti-, hey.....lol
    2. correct, but the facts and odds it bears out sure leans heavily towards lab origin
    3. me neither. but this is the most damning thing I've seen that is even remotely credible that the right has been saying all along. 
    The right has been saying it's just a flu, it's not dangerous, it started early in 2019, masks don't work, the vax is a tracking device, it kills youi, and anything else that could splat against the wall.  But no one on the left has said that China definitely did not manufacture said virus.  And if China did, does that change a thing about how the pandemic should be managed?  Should we have not worn masks, or not got the vaccine?  If China truly manufactured this, it will come out and will be a major foreign policy issue for us and the rest of the world.  But what does that have to do with the right wing at teh end of the day?
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,562
    It seems pretty clear to me that Dr. FAUCI worked closely with the lab in Wuhan to create the virus that would inevitably steal the 2020 presidential election from God's Gift.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:

The right has been saying it's just a flu, it's not dangerous, it started early in 2019, masks don't work, the vax is a tracking device, it kills youi, and anything else that could splat against the wall.  But no one on the left has said that China definitely did not manufacture said virus.  And if China did, does that change a thing about how the pandemic should be managed?  Should we have not worn masks, or not got the vaccine?  If China truly manufactured this, it will come out and will be a major foreign policy issue for us and the rest of the world.  But what does that have to do with the right wing at teh end of the day?
    no, not specifically about the dangers of covid or how it was managed. about how it was created in a lab and Fauci was somehow involved. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:

no, not specifically about the dangers of covid or how it was managed. about how it was created in a lab and Fauci was somehow involved. 
    You know we had observers in that lab and they were called home late in 19. If Fauci created it,  then Trump was derelict in his duty. The doctor and the NIH worked for him. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:

You know we had observers in that lab and they were called home late in 19. If Fauci created it,  then Trump was derelict in his duty. The doctor and the NIH worked for him. 
    what's starting to really fucking bother me is how Trump's "fake news" is really starting to look legitimate. I mean, if that article is true, and so many like it that I've read from reputable sources over the last few years, there are many things the "liberal" media simply do not touch because it makes goes against the "conservative bad" narrative. 

and no, I'm not talking about how they never spoke good about him. I mean how there is so much they don't report on. 

not to mention the potential corruption/enabling in the scientific community. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,829
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:

what's starting to really fucking bother me is how Trump's "fake news" is really starting to look legitimate. I mean, if that article is true, and so many like it that I've read from reputable sources over the last few years, there are many things the "liberal" media simply do not touch because it makes goes against the "conservative bad" narrative. 

and no, I'm not talking about how they never spoke good about him. I mean how there is so much they don't report on. 

Pretty sad for sure. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:

If you were coming from a stance that liberal media is the bastion of non partisan news,  then that's a mistake on your part.  Conservative media focuses on what makes democrats look bad and vice versa.  That's not 'fake. Lying outright is fake. Don't take this the wrong way,  but if reading an article reshapes your belief structure,  then it wasn't very firm to start.  
    Trump's angle was to call anything that reflected poorly on him as fake.  

I'm not sure exactly what you read or watched that led you to the statement you made.  Did NBC say no way was the virus created in a lab? Not to my knowledge.  Did they say that the NIH never provided funding to any work in Wuhan? Certainly not. We had observers there for a reason.  So what was fake?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,895
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:

doesnt mean the news that is presented is fake. it means the editorial staff like tv producers have an eye on the bottom line that click bait can bring.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:

Worst of all is how often over the last year, to even suggest the virus might be from the lab in Wuhan has been quickly dismissed as crazy conspiracy bullshit, or whoever said it would be decried as a bigot for speaking ill of China. Like everyone should just shut up and listen to what they’re told. 

Like really, a worldwide, super-contagious virus. Which is it’s most likely origin? Lab-experiments that got out of hand, or a bunch of animals in a wet market shitting and bleeding on each other?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,108
    I'll admit....I don't know who to believe now. 
    https://youtu.be/hn3XHdqyaxw
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,189
    edited May 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:

If you were coming from a stance that liberal media is the bastion of non partisan news,  then that's a mistake on your part.  Conservative media focuses on what makes democrats look bad and vice versa.  That's not 'fake. Lying outright is fake. Don't take this the wrong way,  but if reading an article reshapes your belief structure,  then it wasn't very firm to start.  

I'm not sure exactly what you read or watched that led you to the statement you made.  Did NBC say no way was the virus created in a lab? Not to my knowledge.  Did they say that the NIH never provided funding to any work in Wuhan? Certainly not. We had observers there for a reason.  So what was fake?
    There was a piece on 60 minutes a month or so ago that detailed the investigation into the Wuhan lab. From the bits I saw it appears there are still many questions to be answered and the access they were granted was not typical.
    Edit to include link:
    Post edited by FiveBelow on
  • Options
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:

There was a piece on 60 minutes a month or so ago that detailed the investigation into the Wuhan lab. From the bits I saw it appears there are still many questions to be answered and the access they were granted was not typical.
    Edit to include link:
    There's no question that the Chinese lack transparency.  Even Fauci said today that he cannot say if it was created in a lab and released or not.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:

Worst of all is how often over the last year, to even suggest the virus might be from the lab in Wuhan has been quickly dismissed as crazy conspiracy bullshit, or whoever said it would be decried as a bigot for speaking ill of China. Like everyone should just shut up and listen to what they’re told. 

Like really, a worldwide, super-contagious virus. Which is it’s most likely origin? Lab-experiments that got out of hand, or a bunch of animals in a wet market shitting and bleeding on each other?
    The crazy conspiracy theory is that it was developed and released in order to tank Trump's campaign, not that such a thing could never happen. The bigotry is blaming people of Chinese origin for the virus. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,108
    Are people in the US still call it "The China virus" or whatever Trump made sure to call it? Or did that die out when he went away?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:

I often don't explain myself properly, which leads to issues, but I'll try again. 

no, I don't think CNN and NBC et al are fake news, or the bastion of non partisan news. I mentioned at the beginning of trump's term how I couldn't watch CNN anymore (or anything that leans left) as it was just so sensational it was like watching a fucking soap opera. the sky was always falling. I just mean that his assertion as such and the constant beatings over the head we've all been taking from Trumpkins about "fake news", coupled with the drama in the media, has really kind of opened my eyes that the news is more partisan than I thought it was. 

did I obviously know that MSM generally leans left? Yes. Was I aware just HOW left? Maybe not. 

as I did state before, yes, everything trump called fake was simply because of his own ego. we all know that. 

was anyone's belief structure about Fauci or any other "covid celebrities" very firm from the start? I wouldn't say it was. I would say I gave him and the rest the benefit of the doubt. I generally hold scientists and researches in fairly high esteem. 

I still don't think Fauci had anything to do with the virus. He seems very transparent, and is more than willing to withstand hours upon hours of Republican theatrics without so much as a quiver. 

I just meant after a year and almost a half of this shit, I would have expected more to come out via virologists/scientists in the know, if in fact there are. And I'm pretty sure there are, and not just in China. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:

The crazy conspiracy theory is that it was developed and released in order to tank Trump's campaign, not that such a thing could never happen. The bigotry is blaming people of Chinese origin for the virus. 
    I remember people getting crap for even suggesting maybe it came from a lab.
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,411
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:

Yes I agree...animal, laboratory - even if the aliens brought it we still have to vaccinate to move forward. 
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,632
    TOUR - ON

2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    I recalled a story from earlier in the pandemic that my city, Winnipeg, had a strange connection to all of this that many seemed suspect. 

There were two Japanese virologists that work in a BSL4 lab here in Winnipeg, really close to my house actually, that made multiple trips to and from Wuhan, and shortly after the pandemic began, it was reported they were dismissed in July 2019 after one of them shipped samples of Ebola and Henipah viruses to Wuhan and everything involved in that is still hush hush. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/phac-wuhan-capacity-1.6022149
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.