The coronavirus

Comments

• JB56195JB56195 Posts: 303
    mrussel1 said:
    That’s a good point on people that can’t be vaccinated for a medical reason. What are some of the medical reasons that would prevent someone from getting it?
    people allergic to its ingredients, people on blood thinners, there are more. 
    So they’ll be just as vulnerable even if we achieved herd immunity right? Since even vaccinated people can spread the virus. 
    that I'm not sure on. we know that yes, people vaccinated can still spread it, but I think with pfiser it can actually prevent people from being infected, astrazeneca cannot. not sure about J&J. 

and it also matters about viral load. if you don't have enough virus to get sick yourself, how much you pass on would be lesser, thus also preventing others from getting very ill. But @oftenreading is the best person to speak on such things. 
    None of these  vaccines  stops infection.  All are the  same in that sence. But they will stop illness  and hospitalizations in most. Some have still caught and sadly died and had 2 pfizer shots. Not many but some
    I thought they stopped infections at a 90 to 95% clip (depending on which one) and prevent serious illness at a 99% rate.  Not accurate?
    Yes, were finding out they're stopping infections.  Remember, we don't know 100% about how the vaccine and virus interact.  The scientists have been very slow to release information and that is on purpose.  That's the problem with peoples understanding of the scientific method.  Science observes repetitive occurrences until they become data/evidence.  When the evidence is overwhelming we then consider it a near approximation of the truth. 

The problem with the recent anti-science rhetoric is that if anything is stated and later found to be incorrect, then one side jumps out and says, "A-ha!  You were lying all along.  You're just a bunch of morons."  The reality is that science isn't perfect and it makes mistakes.  However the purity of science is that it is always seeking the truth and hence it will always correct itself.  Charlatans, con-men, incorrect theories, falsified data, etc. will always get disproven and corrected.  It just takes time.

I'm a urologist and have a BS in biology so if people have questions I'd be happy to answer.  I'm obviously not a virus expert and wouldn't purport to be one but I do have extensive daily updates from my health system and have done a lot of personal educating about this.

Here is a link to the CDC on vaccine infection prevention:

95-Milwaukee, 98-East Troy, 00-East Troy, 03-Detroit  Nights 1 and 2, 03-Toronto, 04-Grand Rapids, 05-Kitchener, 06-Cincinnati, 06-Auburn Hills, 10-New Orleans, 10-Kansas City, 11-PJ20 Nights 1 and 2, 13-Chicago, 14- Moline, 16-Chicago Nights 1 and 2, 18-Seattle Nights 1 and 2, Chicago Night 1, 21-Ohana Encore Night 1 and 2, 22-Imola, St. Louis.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
    JB56195 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    That’s a good point on people that can’t be vaccinated for a medical reason. What are some of the medical reasons that would prevent someone from getting it?
    people allergic to its ingredients, people on blood thinners, there are more. 
    So they’ll be just as vulnerable even if we achieved herd immunity right? Since even vaccinated people can spread the virus. 
    that I'm not sure on. we know that yes, people vaccinated can still spread it, but I think with pfiser it can actually prevent people from being infected, astrazeneca cannot. not sure about J&J. 

and it also matters about viral load. if you don't have enough virus to get sick yourself, how much you pass on would be lesser, thus also preventing others from getting very ill. But @oftenreading is the best person to speak on such things. 
    None of these  vaccines  stops infection.  All are the  same in that sence. But they will stop illness  and hospitalizations in most. Some have still caught and sadly died and had 2 pfizer shots. Not many but some
    I thought they stopped infections at a 90 to 95% clip (depending on which one) and prevent serious illness at a 99% rate.  Not accurate?
    Yes, were finding out they're stopping infections.  Remember, we don't know 100% about how the vaccine and virus interact.  The scientists have been very slow to release information and that is on purpose.  That's the problem with peoples understanding of the scientific method.  Science observes repetitive occurrences until they become data/evidence.  When the evidence is overwhelming we then consider it a near approximation of the truth. 

The problem with the recent anti-science rhetoric is that if anything is stated and later found to be incorrect, then one side jumps out and says, "A-ha!  You were lying all along.  You're just a bunch of morons."  The reality is that science isn't perfect and it makes mistakes.  However the purity of science is that it is always seeking the truth and hence it will always correct itself.  Charlatans, con-men, incorrect theories, falsified data, etc. will always get disproven and corrected.  It just takes time.

I'm a urologist and have a BS in biology so if people have questions I'd be happy to answer.  I'm obviously not a virus expert and wouldn't purport to be one but I do have extensive daily updates from my health system and have done a lot of personal educating about this.

Here is a link to the CDC on vaccine infection prevention:

WELCOME!!!!!!

We need to get you and giventopostfalsehoods together...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    It hurts when I pee.....
    JK.

Good luck sharing real info with the Twitter Doctors.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    K-12 going remote learning on wednesday until May 30th. should be an interesting few weeks working at home with both my daughters here. oh well, make the best of it, daddy daughter style. go out for bike rides at lunch, etc. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,396
    edited May 2021
    ^Ya, I was thinking of you when I saw that news. A few weeks back, I was wondering if my daughter's in-class learning would make it to the end of the year without disruption. It seems we will, as we come down from our third peak.

We played a lot of hooky this spring! Happy outdoors Mother's day!
    Post edited by Spunkie on
    LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

yeah, we would have been out of this a lot faster had we just lived as normal, mrussel1. come on. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    yeah, we would have been out of this a lot faster had we just lived as normal, mrussel1. come on. 
    Well it's kinda true isn't it?  More people would have died right but herd immunity would have been reached.  Isn't that what the 1918 pandemic charts showed of the different cities?

Not saying it was the right choice, cause I don;t think it would have been, but I'll go look for those charts
    hippiemom = goodness
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Well it's kinda true isn't it?  More people would have died right but herd immunity would have been reached.  Isn't that what the 1918 pandemic charts showed of the different cities?

Not saying it was the right choice, cause I don;t think it would have been, but I'll go look for those charts
    After much internal debate, I have decided that having restaurants close for a time and some negative GDP is probably better than millions up millions of additional human deaths.  It was a close call, ended up flipping some coins, used a magic 8 ball and did some Rock/Scissors/Paper, but ultimately decided that human life is more important than positive GDP.  

Hard to say, really, that we now know people can be reinfected. the vaccine at least provides some security from nasty sickness and death. but yeah, sure, i suppose technically it would have been faster to just do nothing. 

guess i'll have to watch the wording of my sarcasm next time. lol
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Hard to say, really, that we now know people can be reinfected. the vaccine at least provides some security from nasty sickness and death. but yeah, sure, i suppose technically it would have been faster to just do nothing. 

Your sarcasm was perfectly clear. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    tish said:
    ^Ya, I was thinking of you when I saw that news. A few weeks back, I was wondering if my daughter's in-class learning would make it to the end of the year without disruption. It seems we will, as we come down from our third peak.

We played a lot of hooky this spring! Happy outdoors Mother's day.

Fun! 
    I'm envious.  I would love to go horse riding more often but the three time I've ridden went like this:
    First time:  Horse knows I'm a newbie, takes off running, scares me to death!
    Second time:  Visiting a friend in Tennessee, he takes me riding.  I get on the horse.  The horse looks at me with a look that says, "You don't have a fucking clue about any of this, do you?" and refuses to budge.
    Third time:  Well, either third time's a charm or I was very, very lucky.  The horse owner tell me, "Don't worry, Starlet is a very forgiving horse." Sure enough, she puts up with my naivete and we get in a decent ride.
    Horse are smart.  Most would never put up with me.  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,396
    edited May 2021
    brianlux said:
    tish said:

We played a lot of hooky this spring! Happy outdoors Mother's day.

Fun! 
    I'm envious.  I would love to go horse riding more often but the three time I've ridden went like this:
    First time:  Horse knows I'm a newbie, takes off running, scares me to death!
    Second time:  Visiting a friend in Tennessee, he takes me riding.  I get on the horse.  The horse looks at me with a look that says, "You don't have a fucking clue about any of this, do you?" and refuses to budge.
    Third time:  Well, either third time's a charm or I was very, very lucky.  The horse owner tell me, "Don't worry, Starlet is a very forgiving horse." Sure enough, she puts up with my naivete and we get in a decent ride.
    Horse are smart.  Most would never put up with me.  :lol:
    Nice to hear from you Briguy. Hope you're getting in some outdoor time! My current situation is at camp. A camper at the next site over is playing the violin, quite beautifullly, I might add. Geese honk, wood chops fill the green scented air.

I hate that I have to wait 3 days over the weekend for an update in BC. On Mondays, I can't make an informed decision before I pack my kid off to school!

I used to ride a white horse named Surprise. Once on a trail ride he bolted back home. SURPRISE!
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    73,000 people at the Canelo fight last night in Texas. 
    I’m sure the virus was strong with this crowd! 
    I guess we have to wait and see. Regardless of politics we should be all be rooting against that happening no?
    Well, I cannot in good conscience cheer for thousands of people to catch the illness and then spread to to many, many thousands of others.  That said, the lack of news from that Rangers game has probably been a double-edged sword. So if there is no known spread from this, I hope to find out why. Even if that "why" is related to some very low incidents of testing.

Taken at face value, what does the lack of fallout from the Rangers game tell us?  Is it over? (I mean, no, obviously)  Have we over-estimated the impact on bigger groups? Were masks properly used by almost all (I highly doubt that). Were any other precautions taken that aren't norms? Were temperatures taken on the way in?  Is testing way down in DFW or the State of Texas? Was the roof open or closed (I really should know that one). And I know this fight is in the same state, but I wonder whether there are variables that can be compared in case the results turn out differently.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,618
    OnWis97 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    I guess we have to wait and see. Regardless of politics we should be all be rooting against that happening no?
    Well, I cannot in good conscience cheer for thousands of people to catch the illness and then spread to to many, many thousands of others.  That said, the lack of news from that Rangers game has probably been a double-edged sword. So if there is no known spread from this, I hope to find out why. Even if that "why" is related to some very low incidents of testing.

Taken at face value, what does the lack of fallout from the Rangers game tell us?  Is it over? (I mean, no, obviously)  Have we over-estimated the impact on bigger groups? Were masks properly used by almost all (I highly doubt that). Were any other precautions taken that aren't norms? Were temperatures taken on the way in?  Is testing way down in DFW or the State of Texas? Was the roof open or closed (I really should know that one). And I know this fight is in the same state, but I wonder whether there are variables that can be compared in case the results turn out differently.
    Between this and what the CDC has been saying the last 1-2 weeks, my biggest take away is

If you’re outdoors or in an indoor area with excellent filtration (planes etc) you’re probably fine.  

But if you’re in a small room indoors or anywhere inside without good filtration, that’s where the spread is really happening
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    OnWis97 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Between this and what the CDC has been saying the last 1-2 weeks, my biggest take away is

If you’re outdoors or in an indoor area with excellent filtration (planes etc) you’re probably fine.  

But if you’re in a small room indoors or anywhere inside without good filtration, that’s where the spread is really happening
    That could be why most of the stories I've seen about spreader events are weddings and family reunions (i.e., those stories where a dozen people at the same wedding were positive and four of them died) but I don't feel like really large events have led to any stories.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,618
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

That could be why most of the stories I've seen about spreader events are weddings and family reunions (i.e., those stories where a dozen people at the same wedding were positive and four of them died) but I don't feel like really large events have led to any stories.
    Yeah.  I’ve always found it interesting how I don’t think I’ve ever heard a single story about pilots and flight attendants spreading the virus at an abnormal rate.  I think the studies out there regarding planes being safe are accurate.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    OnWis97 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Maybe the cure is beer and hotdogs :)

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    Ketchup has no place on a hotdog.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    FiveBelow said:
    Amen. 

Frankly (no pun intended), it’s sick and it’s wrong. Period. 
    mrussel1 said:

Your sarcasm was perfectly clear. 
    I knew he was being sarcastic. Not sure why that matters. His sarcastic comment made me think back to those 1918 charts.  I certainly wasn’t saying anyone was saying it was a better way, but it would have been quicker. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    hedonist said:
    FiveBelow said:
    Amen. 

Derail continued...ketchup and hotdog, yes, ketchup and brat, vile.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:
    hedonist said:
    FiveBelow said:
    Amen. 

This. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    tbergs said:
    hedonist said:
    FiveBelow said:
    Amen. 

This. 
    Yes, this exactly.  Because usually when you got to a game and they have dogs, they only have yellow mustard, which is the worst thing in the world.  The only mustard is spicy mustard. 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,172
    FiveBelow said:
    https://youtu.be/ZpZ_fakwSwc
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    Based on today’s Fauci report regarding the low number of deaths and sickness this past flu season due to wearing masks will you wear one in the future during respiratory borne virus seasons or even from now on? 
This discussion has been closed.