Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,046
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    Pearl Jam will play a full capacity concert in 2021

Until the quadruple mutant variant shuts everything back down.
    Somebody knows how the game is played...  Just hit the Triple Mutant Ninja Turtle variant the other day...  Once the fear of the pandemic starts waning again, the quad will hit...

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/10/who-classifies-triple-mutant-covid-variant-from-india-as-global-health-risk-.html
    My point is we don’t have this under control yet and it is premature to get too excited about a return of PJ live.
     Disagree. A band we all love on this forum is saying they feel it will be safe enough to play this fall. Sounds to me like there is a lot to get excited about. 
  • Options
    gvn2fly1421gvn2fly1421 Posts: 935
    benjs said:
    @gvn2fly1421 - I'd still like to know from you, If Biden simply appeared tomorrow without wearing a mask and said "Be like Joe - get jabbed and take off that damn mask!" - would you get the vaccine?
    No.  The thing is, I have been maskless for a long time now.  The last time I wore one consistently was traveling over Christmas to Universal Orlando (airplane, in the park, hotel, etc.).  Only wore one then because I had too.  And it is not just me, it is pretty much everywhere I go around here.

Instead of getting the "Get vaxxed, lose the mask" message, we get these images coming from the current administration...  

All vaxxed...  Pelosi sporting the double mask after being vaccinated yet she doesn't even wear a mask to get her hair done in the heart of the pandemic...  Please tell me all of this is not political theater?!

And the tweet that struck me from Youyang's thread was "Over the past year, there is mounting evidence which shows that restrictions and interventions in the US may not be as effective as many previously believed (including myself). As scientists, it is important that we update our beliefs when new data and evidence become available."  

Ultimately, none of it matters to me currently, cause life is being lived where I am at.  What I do not want to happen is vaccine passports becoming a thing.  That scares me, and should scare all of you.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    benjs said:
    @gvn2fly1421 - I'd still like to know from you, If Biden simply appeared tomorrow without wearing a mask and said "Be like Joe - get jabbed and take off that damn mask!" - would you get the vaccine?
    He'll never answer your query.
    mickeyrat said:
    Poncier said:
    benjs said:
    He'll never answer your query.

its not the troll way.
    Say what you want about me, but I have tried to answer everything I could in this thread and reply to any question on any post I have had.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,644
    Why is a vaccine passport bad . We have to have vaccines  to enter some countries already and nobody moans at all. In fact they pay to have them 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,360
    sorry. posting guidelines prevent that.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,094
    benjs said:
    No.  The thing is, I have been maskless for a long time now.  The last time I wore one consistently was traveling over Christmas to Universal Orlando (airplane, in the park, hotel, etc.).  Only wore one then because I had too.  And it is not just me, it is pretty much everywhere I go around here.

Instead of getting the "Get vaxxed, lose the mask" message, we get these images coming from the current administration...  

All vaxxed...  Pelosi sporting the double mask after being vaccinated yet she doesn't even wear a mask to get her hair done in the heart of the pandemic...  Please tell me all of this is not political theater?!

And the tweet that struck me from Youyang's thread was "Over the past year, there is mounting evidence which shows that restrictions and interventions in the US may not be as effective as many previously believed (including myself). As scientists, it is important that we update our beliefs when new data and evidence become available."  

Ultimately, none of it matters to me currently, cause life is being lived where I am at.  What I do not want to happen is vaccine passports becoming a thing.  That scares me, and should scare all of you.
    as has been explained ad nauseum, messaging matters. the current message is "wear a mask indoors, if outdoors, your choice, if indoors and vaxxed and everyone vaxxed, your choice". 

but when images get sent around the internet with no context, people will just look at this and ignore the message and just think "cool, no mask needed", because they aren't all holding a sign that says "it's ok, we're all vaccinated". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,777
    There would be no way to tell if someone was vaxxed or not so I'll be wearing my mask. :) I have some nice ones. 
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,003
    benjs said:

So, what if it wasn't just a photo op? What if Biden and his administration, those vaccinated, went without masks regularly? Would you get the vaccine then?

In terms of vaccine passports becoming a thing - I have zero opposition to vaccine passports until all who want vaccines can access vaccines (globally). I don't care about protecting one's perception of freedom over someone else's health or life. What scares you about a vaccine passport?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,811
    benjs said:

Yeah we've all seen Tennessee's abysmal numbers.  If only the rest of the country were as wise.
  • Options
    Kat said:
    There would be no way to tell if someone was vaxxed or not so I'll be wearing my mask. :) I have some nice ones. 
    A nicer way of saying, "I don't want anyone to think I am a Republican, so I'll be wearing my mask!".

Serious question, at what point will you (or anyone for that matter) stop wearing the mask?  When CDC says too?  When our elected leaders stop?  Never?
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590
    benjs said:

I for one am not "scared" of a vaccine passport.
    I need a drivers license to drive and for identification. 
    I need a passport and sometimes an entry visa to travel.
    I've gotten vaccinated for various diseases so that I could travel to foreign countries and had to prove as much.
    I'm vaccinated 
    I'm not afraid of a vaccine Passport 
    I'm not afraid of the government 

• Options
    My mask wearing has ZERO to do with politics. :) I'll decide about wearing it when it's time. It's not time yet and I don't feel a need to rush. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,378
    Kat said:
    My mask wearing has ZERO to do with politics. :) I'll decide about wearing it when it's time. It's not time yet and I don't feel a need to rush. 
    Politicizing mask wearing was one of the worst aspects of this past 15 months. If everyone just prioritized public health (theirs and that of everyone else) rather than making masks a red/blue issue, we'd have fared much better overall. And it started at the top with the guy who was too vain to wear a mask for fear that it would smudge his spray tan, had he simply led by example (the way Biden is currently), many more folks would have likely been spared illness/hospitalization/death.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,811
    Poncier said:
    Kat said:
    Politicizing mask wearing was one of the worst aspects of this past 15 months. If everyone just prioritized public health (theirs and that of everyone else) rather than making masks a red/blue issue, we'd have fared much better overall. And it started at the top with the guy who was too vain to wear a mask for fear that it would smudge his spray tan, had he simply led by example (the way Biden is currently), many more folks would have likely been spared illness/hospitalization/death.
    Exactly right on every level.  It didn't have to be this way,  but Trump seeks to divide us on everything.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,982
    benjs said:
    benjs said:

So, what if it wasn't just a photo op? What if Biden and his administration, those vaccinated, went without masks regularly? Would you get the vaccine then?

In terms of vaccine passports becoming a thing - I have zero opposition to vaccine passports until all who want vaccines can access vaccines (globally). I don't care about protecting one's perception of freedom over someone else's health or life. What scares you about a vaccine passport?
    A passport to the FEMA camps? No thank you.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    I'm seeing articles now about how traumatized many people are feeling by what we've gone through the last 15 months. It's been HUGE and it's going to be a while before things feel normal. We're all still working through it and everyone isn't the same. Many people still have underlying health issues and they have to be extra careful. It's ok. If we take care of each other and pull together, I think that some day, it really will be over...until the next virus, sadly. We know more now though. Be safe all.

• Options
    Kat said:
    Good for you!  And I agree!  As I have stated several times, at this stage in the game, we ALL know the risks associated with the virus.  If I do not want to get the vaccine, that should be as fine me choosing to get the vaccine.  Same with the masks.  Time to return to normal and let people decide what is best for them!
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:
    Kat said:
    Exactly right on every level.  It didn't have to be this way,  but Trump seeks to divide us on everything.
    it's the only road to victory for him and much of the R party. if they aren't scared of the big bad boogie man D/immigrant, they won't vote. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,664
    The mask bothers me so little I wear it whenever others around me want to just to be respectful

For example, I was in a room at the gym last week without a mask.  Another guy walked in, I said “hey I can put it back on or we can take them off, up to you” and he was cool without it, so we left them off.

Or if I’m getting on a plane and it’s required.... easy enough to wear one.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    It is strange to me to see people feel almost threatened by others wearing a mask. I don’t care if somebody chooses to wear one while they’re sitting at home by themselves watching TV. And out in public, erring on the safe side makes sense to me.

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    benjs said:
    benjs said:

Biden could walk around without a mask all the time and i would not take the vaccine.

From a very broad sense, why would I need a sheet of paper to let me do things that I have been doing... well, the WHOLE pandemic without it?  If a business chooses to enforce a vaccine passport type of deal upon entry, perfectly fine!  I just know that is a business I will not go to.  But the government trying to require these things....  That's a whole different ballgame there.
  • Options
    yeah, seriously, I don't give a fuck about it either way. it's going to be a while, I think, until Canada gives a firm "toss the masks", if ever. 

I'll just do what the local public health mandates. who cares. 

"oooh, you're a sheep! this is 1984!". 

yep, putting a piece of cloth over my face means I'm subservient to the government. you got me. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    yeah, seriously, I don't give a fuck about it either way. it's going to be a while, I think, until Canada gives a firm "toss the masks", if ever. 

yep, putting a piece of cloth over my face means I'm subservient to the government. you got me. 
    Man, what is so funny about the last half of your post is that I have NEVER called anyone a sheep or used any of the language that you used, YET I make a post and get called all types of stuff.  Which is fine, sticks and stones and what not.

But please do not act like I am this big bad republican bully that comes to these threads to degrade others.  Not the case nor is that me at all.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,802
    Kat said:
    A nicer way of saying, "I don't want anyone to think I am a Republican, so I'll be wearing my mask!".

Serious question, at what point will you (or anyone for that matter) stop wearing the mask?  When CDC says too?  When our elected leaders stop?  Never?

When the EXPERTS say it is ok to stop wearing masks.  That's when.  

And everyday that ARMCHAIR QUARTERBACKS like yourself go without wearing a mask pushes that date backwards.

So stop fucking things up for the rest of us already. 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options

Man, what is so funny about the last half of your post is that I have NEVER called anyone a sheep or used any of the language that you used, YET I make a post and get called all types of stuff.  Which is fine, sticks and stones and what not.

But please do not act like I am this big bad republican bully that comes to these threads to degrade others.  Not the case nor is that me at all.
    did I say you said it? nope. but everywhere you go, you see people talking and posting those exact words/phrases. 

you post a ridiculous amount of misinformation and expect not to be called out on it, you do, and then you don't respond when you get owned. 

you know the term for that? I think you might. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I keep a face covering with me, but I don't put it on unless I'm in a place where it's mandatory or in close proximity to another human.

I will say that going forward, I will likely always wear a face covering in crowded situations. It's just been too nice not having even had a cold, and the face coverings I have don't really cause any greater discomfort than the glasses I must wear to see (took a while to find comfortable ones at the beginning, though!).

So I guess I'll continue to mask up for purely selfish reasons. I really just don't like being sick.

Though I'm interested to research whether that's bad for my immune system overall (kind of how there's the argument that antibacterial soap is bad for your immune system).
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Jason7192Jason7192 Southern Indiana Posts: 312
    Kat said:
    Good for you!  And I agree!  As I have stated several times, at this stage in the game, we ALL know the risks associated with the virus.  If I do not want to get the vaccine, that should be as fine me choosing to get the vaccine.  Same with the masks.  Time to return to normal and let people decide what is best for them!
    Not getting the vaccine may be fine for you as an individual, but it completely ignores the potential to impact others (e.g. those people who cannot get the vaccine due to other health complications). It also ignores the possibility of the virus mutating among the non-vaxxed population into something that the current vaccines cannot protect. If that happens, we could all be back at square one. 
  • Options
    Jason7192 said:
    Kat said:
    Not getting the vaccine may be fine for you as an individual, but it completely ignores the potential to impact others (e.g. those people who cannot get the vaccine due to other health complications). It also ignores the possibility of the virus mutating among the non-vaxxed population into something that the current vaccines cannot protect. If that happens, we could all be back at square one. 
    some people just don't get it. 

we're supposed to be a collective. a fucking team. but nope. "I don't need it, so fuck you" is the mandate from some on the right. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,275
    Jason7192 said:
    Kat said:

we're supposed to be a collective. a fucking team. but nope. "I don't need it, so fuck you" is the mandate from some on the right. 
    selfishness is a core characteristic of being on the right.

atlas shrugged, anyone?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,802
    Jason7192 said:
    Kat said:

selfishness is a core characteristic of being on the right.

atlas shrugged, anyone?
    idk
    something tells me John Galt would've worn a mask and gotten vaccinated

not as an act of selflessness
    but rather as an act of self-preservation, and because he actually believed and understood science.  

John Galt was selfish, but he wasn't a moron
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
This discussion has been closed.