The coronavirus

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Data suggests that a certain percentage of vaccine hesitant people would be swayed by a financial incentive or the opportunity to relax some restrictions, such as masks. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    That’s a good point on people that can’t be vaccinated for a medical reason. What are some of the medical reasons that would prevent someone from getting it?
    people allergic to its ingredients, people on blood thinners, there are more. 
    So they’ll be just as vulnerable even if we achieved herd immunity right? Since even vaccinated people can spread the virus. 
    that I'm not sure on. we know that yes, people vaccinated can still spread it, but I think with pfiser it can actually prevent people from being infected, astrazeneca cannot. not sure about J&J. 

and it also matters about viral load. if you don't have enough virus to get sick yourself, how much you pass on would be lesser, thus also preventing others from getting very ill. But @oftenreading is the best person to speak on such things. 
    None of these  vaccines  stops infection.  All are the  same in that sence. But they will stop illness  and hospitalizations in most. Some have still caught and sadly died and had 2 pfizer shots. Not many but some
    I thought they stopped infections at a 90 to 95% clip (depending on which one) and prevent serious illness at a 99% rate.  Not accurate?
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Data suggests that a certain percentage of vaccine hesitant people would be swayed by a financial incentive or the opportunity to relax some restrictions, such as masks. 

I'm holding out for a grand...
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    That’s a good point on people that can’t be vaccinated for a medical reason. What are some of the medical reasons that would prevent someone from getting it?
    No, not true except for those with allergies to the components, but that can potentially be overcome by people choosing a different type of vaccine. A pretty small number of people are allergic to PEG, for instance, which is one of the components of the mRNA vaccines, but if you are then it should be okay to use AZ or Janssen. 

People on all sorts of blood thinners and people with clotting disorders can still get vaccinated. They should let the person doing the vaccination know but it's not a contraindication.

I can't find any other contraindications. There are some conditions for which we don't have much, if any, data, so some care providers are being cautious, but nothing else is an absolute contraindication that I'm aware of. 
    My mom on a blood thinner got vaccinated. We told the nurse, she said okay we'll apply more pressure, there was zero bleeding or bruising from both shots. 
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814

Kind of sad. Hey, if you want to stop wearing masks, do your part and get vaccinated. Maybe if enough people do it we can put masks behind us.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    I'm way too preoccupied to find the source, but I think I heard on TV the other day that new infections are down 26% ????

Evidence that the vaccinations are working???
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    mrussel1 said:
    So they’ll be just as vulnerable even if we achieved herd immunity right? Since even vaccinated people can spread the virus. 
    that I'm not sure on. we know that yes, people vaccinated can still spread it, but I think with pfiser it can actually prevent people from being infected, astrazeneca cannot. not sure about J&J. 

and it also matters about viral load. if you don't have enough virus to get sick yourself, how much you pass on would be lesser, thus also preventing others from getting very ill. But @oftenreading is the best person to speak on such things. 
    None of these  vaccines  stops infection.  All are the  same in that sence. But they will stop illness  and hospitalizations in most. Some have still caught and sadly died and had 2 pfizer shots. Not many but some
    I thought they stopped infections at a 90 to 95% clip (depending on which one) and prevent serious illness at a 99% rate.  Not accurate?
    As i understood it . The person can get the virus but the body has antibodies and neutralises it so you dont replicate enough to shed. I maybe wrong 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,417
    mrussel1 said:

for the US , 1% of 100 million us vaccinated is still a number of people..
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    edited May 2021
    I'm way too preoccupied to find the source, but I think I heard on TV the other day that new infections are down 26% ????

No that proves that masks and social distancing promote infection transfer.  Doi. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

When the vaccine rollout started on some of the reserves not far from Winnipeg, they were incentivizing people by giving every vaccine shot recipient an entry for a big screen tv. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mrussel1 said:

No that proves that masks and social distancing promote infection transfer.  Doi. 
    I hope you're just being silly, mrussel1. Lol
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    OnWis97 said:

Kind of sad. Hey, if you want to stop wearing masks, do your part and get vaccinated. Maybe if enough people do it we can put masks behind us.
    But if we get rid of masks, what do I do with my cape?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    fucking joe rogan at it again. saying canada is "fucked"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEAaPHQGf8A
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

What is the current status in Canada?  Are they really “that” locked down where you will get pulled over by the authorities if you are out and about as mentioned in the video?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    No, not true except for those with allergies to the components, but that can potentially be overcome by people choosing a different type of vaccine. A pretty small number of people are allergic to PEG, for instance, which is one of the components of the mRNA vaccines, but if you are then it should be okay to use AZ or Janssen. 

People on all sorts of blood thinners and people with clotting disorders can still get vaccinated. They should let the person doing the vaccination know but it's not a contraindication.

I can't find any other contraindications. There are some conditions for which we don't have much, if any, data, so some care providers are being cautious, but nothing else is an absolute contraindication that I'm aware of. 
    My mom on a blood thinner got vaccinated. We told the nurse, she said okay we'll apply more pressure, there was zero bleeding or bruising from both shots. 
    Yes. The recommendation for IM injections for those on anticoagulation and most of the clotting disorders is firm pressure at the injection site for 5+ minutes and then monitor for bleeding or bruising. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited May 2021
    PJPOWER said:

What is the current status in Canada?  Are they really “that” locked down where you will get pulled over by the authorities if you are out and about as mentioned in the video?
    No.

Nobody should listen to anything that comes out of this guys mouth.
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:

No.

Nobody should listen to anything that comes out if this guys mouth.
    Lol, I was going to say!  That was the first time I had heard that.  I don’t really keep up with Rogan or his antics, but he seems like he is loved/hated by many.
    Listening to NPR this morning and the second wave in India.  I forget who was speaking but this is what they said.

1-We celebrated too early and lifted restrictions.
    2-India has done a poor job at limiting mass gatherings.
    3-Despite being the leader in vaccine development they are falling short in distribution.

If u want a link I am sure I can find one.
    PJPOWER said:

if you believe the comments on the youtube video, you'd think we were living in nazi germany. people are such idiots. 

"I can't go to an all you can eat BBQ joint and spit sauce all over my fat friends, FREEDUMB". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJPOWER said:

if you believe the comments on the youtube video, you'd think we were living in nazi germany. people are such idiots. 

"I can't go to an all you can eat BBQ joint and spit sauce all over my fat friends, FREEDUMB". 
    So what you are saying is they are not wielding your doors shut or line feeding you beans and rice?  
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:

No.

Nobody should listen to anything that comes out if this guys mouth.
    Lol, I was going to say!  That was the first time I had heard that.  I don’t really keep up with Rogan or his antics, but he seems like he is loved/hated by many.
    i don't know what's going on in Ontario, but here it's business as usual, minus indoor private gatherings. which I really don't give two fucks about. I know a lot of people do, and it's important for many who live alone, and there are exemptions for that. 

there are also restrictions on gatherings on private property, yet you can go to an outdoor patio to eat with a max of 3 people you don't live with, and people are freaking out saying how that doesn't make sense. it does, if you think about it. outdoor private gatherings, ALWAYS, without fail, end up having some type of indoor component to it; going to the washroom, grabbing a drink, and oh, hey, you're in here too, let's catch up away from the group for two minutes, it's fine, oh, shit, it's raining/cold/etc, let's go in, we'll be ok, sharing food, etc. patio gatherings are a way to keep small businesses and the economy moving in a controlled setting. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    Listening to NPR this morning and the second wave in India.  I forget who was speaking but this is what they said.

3-Despite being the leader in vaccine development they are falling short in distribution.

N2 is the big problem..they had religious holidays last month and you see pictures like these..

India becomes 2nd-worst-hit country of the COVID-19 pandemic - Los Angeles  Times

Watch Thousands gather for Hindu festival in India despite spike in  coronavirus cases
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    23scidoo said:

N2 is the big problem..they had religious holidays last month and you see pictures like these..

India becomes 2nd-worst-hit country of the COVID-19 pandemic - Los Angeles  Times

Watch Thousands gather for Hindu festival in India despite spike in  coronavirus cases
    That’s gotta break a record for the most beer bellies in one photo!
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    India  has the  added problem of people living hand to mouth.  If they dont go out and get money they  will not eat. That is in a nutshell why they  cant lockdown. People will starve to death. Its a lose -lose . So very upsetting  as a father  if your kids are starving  you  go get money/food
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,204
    mcgruff10 said:
    What's everyones feeling on vaccinations for 12-16 year olds?  A hard no?  Wait awhile?  Sign up now?

My ex is a nurse practitioner and wants to get our 12 year old son vaccinated right away, I'm opting to wait a few months just to see how it goes.  
    Very concerned on this one. I have a 15 year old who is probably one of the healthiest kids I know. Antibiotics 1 time in her life. Never sick always active and eats healthy as can be. She wants it….would like to hold off for her. The peer pressure on these kids is going to be crushing….
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,394
    edited May 2021
    I'm worried like both of you for my kid when her age group gets emergency authorization. 

We will get to them for sure to make up for adult hesitancy and that doesn't sit right with me.

I will be pressured with fear mongering and travel pass as the money and 'you get to go to concerts' incentives don't work for me.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
    mcgruff10 said:
    What's everyones feeling on vaccinations for 12-16 year olds?  A hard no?  Wait awhile?  Sign up now?

My ex is a nurse practitioner and wants to get our 12 year old son vaccinated right away, I'm opting to wait a few months just to see how it goes.  
    Very concerned on this one. I have a 15 year old who is probably one of the healthiest kids I know. Antibiotics 1 time in her life. Never sick always active and eats healthy as can be. She wants it….would like to hold off for her. The peer pressure on these kids is going to be crushing….
    I agree news is already saying do it for your family or you'll kill them, more or less.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Family seeking community, government help with $300K COVID-19 hospital bill | CBC News

You don't see this often in Canada.  Have health insurance when travelling to Canada...

Give Peas A Chance…
    tish said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I agree news is already saying do it for your family or you'll kill them, more or less.

You'll kill them?  The virus doesn't kill everybody, that is a proven fact already.  If that's not fear mongering.

Do you have an article or link about this?
    edited May 2021
    Children are stressed to go to school and bring the disease home. Messages of them not getting ill, but having high viral loads and spreading disease are out there in cnn articles like 10 reasons why the young should vaccinate. I expect this pressure on young adults to extent to children: vaccinate so they don't spread. Google cnn kids stress covid.

I feel this is a no-brainer. Spread it-kill people potato potatto.

Post edited by Spunkie on
This discussion has been closed.