Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Best/worst thing you can do to a troll is to IGNORE AND NOT RESPOND.
    There's a lot of frustration because the troll won.

I’m totally stupid when it comes to this social media shit, not on FB, IG....nothing...did I do something wrong that made the troll win?
    No the troll won because we’re not going to hit heard immunity. There are enough people like him that we’re going to be going through this indefinitely and I happen to believe that’s what he and his want.

He didn’t win these arguments; but in the real world he wins and we lose.
    How do we (people that got the vaccine) “lose” if others don’t get it? And why do we need to hit herd immunity? I say so long as the health care system doesn’t get overwhelmed again by covid cases, then people who refused the vaccine that contract the virus will have to live with it, or die from it. 

It’d be one thing if there were people that wanted the vaccine and couldn’t get it. Then I’d feel a responsibility to help keep them safe, as I did during the height of the pandemic. But people that simply refused the vaccine? It’s up to them to keep themselves safe. 

"we" lose because we consider ourselves a part of the greater whole, where as they seem to be strict individualists.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:

I’m totally stupid when it comes to this social media shit, not on FB, IG....nothing...did I do something wrong that made the troll win?
    No the troll won because we’re not going to hit heard immunity. There are enough people like him that we’re going to be going through this indefinitely and I happen to believe that’s what he and his want.

How do we (people that got the vaccine) “lose” if others don’t get it? And why do we need to hit herd immunity? I say so long as the health care system doesn’t get overwhelmed again by covid cases, then people who refused the vaccine that contract the virus will have to live with it, or die from it. 

It’d be one thing if there were people that wanted the vaccine and couldn’t get it. Then I’d feel a responsibility to help keep them safe, as I did during the height of the pandemic. But people that simply refused the vaccine? It’s up to them to keep themselves safe. 
    I’d be with you if it was 100% effective.

Actually, the people I really feel for are those that have some medical reason they can’t vaccinate. 

On the plus side, I think we can be grateful that Fox News wasn’t around when the polio vaccine was created.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:

one thing that is concerning to me is that our hospital count is currently 50% made up of people UNDER 60. Many of those are under 40. so just "protecting the old" is unfortunately not a total win strategy, as many anti-vaxxers seem to think it is. they still think this is the flu that only kills people over 80. the variants are making people sicker than the OG. 

hopefully we reach majority immunity. if we can't get to herd, majority is our best bet at normalcy. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    That’s a good point on people that can’t be vaccinated for a medical reason. What are some of the medical reasons that would prevent someone from getting it?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    That’s a good point on people that can’t be vaccinated for a medical reason. What are some of the medical reasons that would prevent someone from getting it?
    people allergic to its ingredients, people on blood thinners, there are more. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    So they’ll be just as vulnerable even if we achieved herd immunity right? Since even vaccinated people can spread the virus. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    So they’ll be just as vulnerable even if we achieved herd immunity right? Since even vaccinated people can spread the virus. 
    No, herd immunity protects the population because the virus loses available hosts. Herd immunity is critical for infants, as an example. 
  • Options
    that I'm not sure on. we know that yes, people vaccinated can still spread it, but I think with pfiser it can actually prevent people from being infected, astrazeneca cannot. not sure about J&J. 

and it also matters about viral load. if you don't have enough virus to get sick yourself, how much you pass on would be lesser, thus also preventing others from getting very ill. But @oftenreading is the best person to speak on such things. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    What's everyones feeling on vaccinations for 12-16 year olds?  A hard no?  Wait awhile?  Sign up now?

My ex is a nurse practitioner and wants to get our 12 year old son vaccinated right away, I'm opting to wait a few months just to see how it goes.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    No, herd immunity protects the population because the virus loses available hosts. Herd immunity is critical for infants, as an example. 
    But I thought even the vaccinated are available hosts. That we can contract it and spread it even though we’re vaccinated. We just wouldn’t know we contracted it cause of the vaccine fighting the symptoms. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    No, not true except for those with allergies to the components, but that can potentially be overcome by people choosing a different type of vaccine. A pretty small number of people are allergic to PEG, for instance, which is one of the components of the mRNA vaccines, but if you are then it should be okay to use AZ or Janssen. 

People on all sorts of blood thinners and people with clotting disorders can still get vaccinated. They should let the person doing the vaccination know but it's not a contraindication.

I can't find any other contraindications. There are some conditions for which we don't have much, if any, data, so some care providers are being cautious, but nothing else is an absolute contraindication that I'm aware of. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    mickeyrat said:
    benjs said:
    i'm done. you're hopeless. 
    He's not hopeless - his goal is not to learn. I pledge to not feed the troll, though I'll gladly talk to any of you fine folks about him.
    thats beneath you. you are one the more patient, reasoned arguers here. posting intelligent , well thought out responses.

keep THAT up.

Thanks mickey :) 

With respect to talking about this individual - I'm referring to talking about what compels an individual to come to a place like this purely to stir shit up. I don't believe this person is genuine whatsoever (based on how his 'most important concern' changes after his latest is debunked). 

This is a leech, here with the knowledge they won't change mind and the purpose of wasting our time. I'm done tolerating this nonsense, and I encourage others to act the same. Call it out as ill-informed, but don't waste your time explaining why to those who have no interest in listening.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    What's everyones feeling on vaccinations for 12-16 year olds?  A hard no?  Wait awhile?  Sign up now?

My ex is a nurse practitioner and wants to get our 12 year old son vaccinated right away, I'm opting to wait a few months just to see how it goes.  

data from their trials should available. compare those with the data from the earlier trials, the gen population and the 16 and up one. and you now have the data from theseveral months of widespread use.

do you trust his mothers clinical experience and expertise?

and your son, how astute is he? should he have some input in to getting it or not?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:

no, we won't be going through this indefinitely. 
    How does it stop without herd immunity?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    that I'm not sure on. we know that yes, people vaccinated can still spread it, but I think with pfiser it can actually prevent people from being infected, astrazeneca cannot. not sure about J&J. 

and it also matters about viral load. if you don't have enough virus to get sick yourself, how much you pass on would be lesser, thus also preventing others from getting very ill. But @oftenreading is the best person to speak on such things. 

This is a really good article that provides clear information on all of these questions.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/yes-vaccines-block-most-transmission-of-covid-19

There is some interesting data in the article, but the short form is that we know that the available vaccines markedly reduce the risk of infection, not just symptoms or disease. That means that the immune system is preventing cells from being infected with virus, and if the cells aren't infected the virus doesn't replicate and so can't be transmitted to others. It still isn't zero, but it's a big drop - just how much of a drop seems to vary a bit from study to study and vaccine to vaccine. 

Viral load does matter, for those who do get an infection. It is likely that the lower the viral load (i.e. fewer viral particles in the blood), the lower the rate of viral shedding and the lower the rate of transmission to others. 

The rare person who can't get vaccinated, or the many who choose not to, are likely to face fewer potential exposure events if the majority of the population is vaccinated. They will still run some risk but certainly not as high as if no one was vaccinated. So individually they are "just as vulnerable" if they actually get exposed, but in practice less vulnerable since they are much less likely to get exposed.

Unless they hang out with a whole bunch of anti-vaxxers, I suppose. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Texas sized10-4 on vaccinating teens. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:

data from their trials should available. compare those with the data from the earlier trials, the gen population and the 16 and up one. and you now have the data from theseveral months of widespread use.

and your son, how astute is he? should he have some input in to getting it or not?
    He s 12, he gets zero say lol.  My 17 year old daughter is another story.   
    Do I trust my ex?  Oh man where do I begin? ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    Nobody but nutters care.

You have zero credibility here.
    I believe it was you lost a cousin recently.  I was sorry to read that.  Was a gofundme or anything set up where my wife and I could donate? 
    Thank you for the reminder.

I appreciate the interest everyone here has shown. This just went up and they are getting close to their goal.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-for-the-therrien-family?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&fbclid=IwAR1kk1q9gPMo2jXcJ0vrBrezVvQrWeAtVWUJEC_vYx49oN_sGjuElxUw4B0

The Therrien family of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan has been dealing with more hardships over the past few months than most families deal with in a lifetime. In March of 2021, Daniel, Carrie and Hunter all fell ill with COVID-19. Carrie was an educational assistant at King George School in Moose Jaw. Carrie loved her job, and truly had a gift for caring for children with disabilities.  Carrie became ill with Covid on March 30th, 2021, was admitted to hospital on April 5th.  Carrie tragically passed away from COVID-19 on April 21, 2021. Carrie will be forever missed by her family, as she was the most attentive and loving mother. She was loved by everyone for her kind, positive and carefree attitude. Carrie has sadly left behind her husband Daniel, and their two boys, Brady (age 13) and Hunter (age 11). Nothing can prepare anyone for the shock and sadness to lose someone this young and healthy to COVID so suddenly.  

Not only is Dan dealing with the loss of his partner and the mother of his children, but also with a recurrence of a rare brain tumour. Dan was originally diagnosed with a rare cancerous brain tumor 15 years ago, which was surgically removed at that time. He was cancer free until August 2020, when they first suspected recurrence. Just prior to Carrie contracting COVID, Dan received the news that he would need a second surgery to remove the tumor in June of this year. This surgery must be done in Calgary, Alberta. Dan will most likely need radiation and chemotherapy after surgery is completed. This treatment will last over 1 year. Daniel is such a kind, devoted and amazing Dad to his two boys, Brady and Hunter. Dan’s boys are his world.

To help Dan and his sons through this difficult time, we are starting a GoFundMe to help with the lost income, travel expenses to Alberta, to help during the treatment and recovery phase of Dan’s cancer journey and future education fund for Brady and Hunter.  Thank you all so much
    I'm pretty overwhelmed by the generosity you guys have shown.

Pearl Jam fans are the best hands down. I will never forget it.

Stay safe.
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,631
    static111 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2021/05/03/ashish-jha-herd-immunity/amp
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    No, not true except for those with allergies to the components, but that can potentially be overcome by people choosing a different type of vaccine. A pretty small number of people are allergic to PEG, for instance, which is one of the components of the mRNA vaccines, but if you are then it should be okay to use AZ or Janssen. 

People on all sorts of blood thinners and people with clotting disorders can still get vaccinated. They should let the person doing the vaccination know but it's not a contraindication.

I can't find any other contraindications. There are some conditions for which we don't have much, if any, data, so some care providers are being cautious, but nothing else is an absolute contraindication that I'm aware of. 
    there you go. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    static111 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2021/05/03/ashish-jha-herd-immunity/amp
    Great news, guess I can skip my second dose!
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options

This is a really good article that provides clear information on all of these questions.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/yes-vaccines-block-most-transmission-of-covid-19

There is some interesting data in the article, but the short form is that we know that the available vaccines markedly reduce the risk of infection, not just symptoms or disease. That means that the immune system is preventing cells from being infected with virus, and if the cells aren't infected the virus doesn't replicate and so can't be transmitted to others. It still isn't zero, but it's a big drop - just how much of a drop seems to vary a bit from study to study and vaccine to vaccine. 

Viral load does matter, for those who do get an infection. It is likely that the lower the viral load (i.e. fewer viral particles in the blood), the lower the rate of viral shedding and the lower the rate of transmission to others. 

The rare person who can't get vaccinated, or the many who choose not to, are likely to face fewer potential exposure events if the majority of the population is vaccinated. They will still run some risk but certainly not as high as if no one was vaccinated. So individually they are "just as vulnerable" if they actually get exposed, but in practice less vulnerable since they are much less likely to get exposed.

Unless they hang out with a whole bunch of anti-vaxxers, I suppose. 
    I suppose my understanding of what the nurse administering my vaccine told me could be limited, but i thought she told me that the AZ vaccine didn't prevent infection; something about the vaccine molecules being too big from entering the nasal cavity to prevent the infection from entering the body, whereas the other vaccines could prevent that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,963
    Masks work. Lockdown works . Vaccination works.  Look at u.k i will post a video from prof  tim spector.  Which explains where we are now because  of all 3 of the above.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,509
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    Nobody but nutters care.

I believe it was you lost a cousin recently.  I was sorry to read that.  Was a gofundme or anything set up where my wife and I could donate? 
    Fucking rude.  
    The Other Big Actor Payday of 1989  Den of Geek
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    how the gop proved him wrong....

Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    dignin said:
    Nobody but nutters care.

Dude you need to stop with your bullshit argument and just go , most of us here have gotten vaccinated because we care about our loved ones, you’ve become pathetic! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:

She’s a nurse practitioner I’d trust her more than you that’s for damn sure, plus I don’t trust anyone who puts ice cubes in Red vino! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I didnt say trust your ex. I said trust her clinical experience and expertise. she IS a trained professional isnt she?

• Options
    edited May 2021

None of these  vaccines  stops infection.  All are the  same in that sence. But they will stop illness  and hospitalizations in most. Some have still caught and sadly died and had 2 pfizer shots. Not many but some
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

This discussion has been closed.