Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,312
    edited April 2021
    dignin said:

This Is Fine GIF
    I mean, what if it is fine?  This is the most traceable large event we have had since last march

what if 2-3 weeks from now, the state of Texas does not have a spike, new cases can’t be traced back to the ballgame

Then... wouldn’t it be fine?

It could also be horrible, sure, but let’s wait and see what happens in a few weeks before just stating that all of these people are going to spread coronavirus to the rest of the world 
    You show me a quote by any epidemiology expert that thinks this was okay. That this was prudent or necessary.

Let er rip and see how it goes is completely irresponsible and fuckin stupid.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,672
    dignin said:

This Is Fine GIF
    I mean, what if it is fine?  This is the most traceable large event we have had since last march

what if 2-3 weeks from now, the state of Texas does not have a spike, new cases can’t be traced back to the ballgame

It could also be horrible, sure, but let’s wait and see what happens in a few weeks before just stating that all of these people are going to spread coronavirus to the rest of the world 
    I get what you're saying, but OTOH, would it not have been more prudent to start the season off at 50- 60% capacity and see what happens for the first 4 or 5 weeks? 

There's no reason you can't expand if things go well.

If things DON'T go well however, they just unnecessarily gambled with peoples' lives, and for what? 
  • Options
    Texas has the "hold my beer approach".

Super smart.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,817
    dignin said:

This Is Fine GIF

I get what you're saying, but OTOH, would it not have been more prudent to start the season off at 50- 60% capacity and see what happens for the first 4 or 5 weeks? 

If things DON'T go well however, they just unnecessarily gambled with peoples' lives, and for what? 

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,846
    I  have to admit, I'm getting jealous seeing so many people getting their shot. I'm in Minnesota, which is doing pretty well, but I am probably still several months off.  I'm told I need to be vigilant in seeking it out. That's just not me. And I'm better at living this way than most people (judging by every trip I take to Target).

But as we get vaccinated, people are letting up.  And I really wish they would not until everyone has had the opportunity.

I'm being a bit petty (I figured I'd be hopeful when people started getting vaccinated; instead I'm just frustrated knowing that I'm not close) but I'm also rightly frustrated that as I wait, people are letting up.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    dignin said:

This Is Fine GIF

That & American arrogance. 
  • Options

Novel HIV vaccine approach shows promise in “landmark” first-in-human trial

The vaccine was able to target the desired immune cells and could become the first stage of a multi-step vaccine strategy to combat HIV and various other viral diseases.

According to the organisations, the vaccine successfully stimulated the production of the rare immune cells needed to generate antibodies against HIV in 97 percent of participants.

As a next step, the collaborators are partnering with the biotechnology company Moderna to develop and test an mRNA-based vaccine that harnesses the approach to produce the same beneficial immune cells. According to the team, using mRNA technology could significantly accelerate the pace of HIV vaccine development, as it did with vaccines for COVID-19.

https://www.europeanpharmaceuticalreview.com/news/141892/novel-hiv-vaccine-approach-shows-promise-in-landmark-first-in-human-trial/

• Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,679
    dignin said:

This Is Fine GIF

I’m not saying that wouldn’t have been a better approach.  I guess what I meant to say is, since they decided to take the “hold my beer” approach, there’s nothing we could have done stop them, so let’s use it as a data point

Since the deed is done, let’s sit back with an open mind and see what actually does happen 2-3 weeks from now with the numbers and the tracing.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,877
    OnWis97 said:
    I  have to admit, I'm getting jealous seeing so many people getting their shot. I'm in Minnesota, which is doing pretty well, but I am probably still several months off.  I'm told I need to be vigilant in seeking it out. That's just not me. And I'm better at living this way than most people (judging by every trip I take to Target).

But as we get vaccinated, people are letting up.  And I really wish they would not until everyone has had the opportunity.

I'm being a bit petty (I figured I'd be hopeful when people started getting vaccinated; instead I'm just frustrated knowing that I'm not close) but I'm also rightly frustrated that as I wait, people are letting up.
    Biden admin announced today that there will be enough vaccines for everyone by mid April.  After that, it's just a logistics issue on scheduling, rather than availability.  Several months off seems really terrible, if true, and would be an indictment of the state.  Here in VA, everyone will be eligible by 4/18 and several areas are already there. Everyone I've talked to that has signed up, has been invited to schedule.  
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,846
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Biden admin announced today that there will be enough vaccines for everyone by mid April.  After that, it's just a logistics issue on scheduling, rather than availability.  Several months off seems really terrible, if true, and would be an indictment of the state.  Here in VA, everyone will be eligible by 4/18 and several areas are already there. Everyone I've talked to that has signed up, has been invited to schedule.  

My general pessimism and frustration is showing through. I started looking for appointments in earnest for the first time last night and right now, there's certainly nothing, particularly for "general public." (the designation in Minnesota for adults with no age/condition priority. Amazingly, I am one of only 300,000 that fit that in a state of 5.5 million people).

I would guess I'll do better than "several months" and that sometime in May, appointments will start opening up. And hey, I'm in my 40s. four-to-six weeks flies by, now!
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    dignin said:

This Is Fine GIF

I’m not saying that wouldn’t have been a better approach.  I guess what I meant to say is, since they decided to take the “hold my beer” approach, there’s nothing we could have done stop them, so let’s use it as a data point

Since the deed is done, let’s sit back with an open mind and see what actually does happen 2-3 weeks from now with the numbers and the tracing.

Fair point. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,357
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

My general pessimism and frustration is showing through. I started looking for appointments in earnest for the first time last night and right now, there's certainly nothing, particularly for "general public." (the designation in Minnesota for adults with no age/condition priority. Amazingly, I am one of only 300,000 that fit that in a state of 5.5 million people).

I would guess I'll do better than "several months" and that sometime in May, appointments will start opening up. And hey, I'm in my 40s. four-to-six weeks flies by, now!
    I got in for my first shot at MOA last week. It was like assembly line style. A lot of people that were definitely under 40. They must be doing thousands a day there. I got in through the state vaccine connector and probably because I work for the state. Signed up the week before and they emailed and texted less than a week later. Stay vigilant! I think MN is pushing things through pretty well.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,447

Official: Biden moving vaccine eligibility date to April 19
    By DARLENE SUPERVILLE
    Today

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden was set to announce Tuesday that he is shaving about two weeks off his May 1 deadline for states to make all adults eligible for coronavirus vaccines.

With states gradually expanding eligibility beyond such priority groups as older people and essential, front-line workers, the president plans to announce that every adult in the U.S. will be eligible by April 19 to be vaccinated, a White House official said.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss Biden's plans before the formal announcement. Biden was scheduled to visit a COVID-19 vaccination site in Virginia on Tuesday, followed by remarks at the White House updating the nation on the administration's progress against the coronavirus.

April 19 is about two weeks earlier than Biden's original May 1 deadline.

Biden is also expected to announce that 150 million doses have been put into people's arms since his inauguration on Jan. 20. That puts the president well on track to meet his new goal of 200 million shots administered by April 30 — his 100th day in office.

Biden's original goal had been 100 million shots in arms by the end of his first 100 days.

The announcement about vaccine eligibility is somewhat symbolic and comes as states already were moving up their deadlines from the original May 1 goal. It also comes as a flood of vaccine supply is being sent to states this week.

At least a dozen states opened eligibility to anyone over the age of 16 on Monday alone, while New Jersey's governor announced Monday that people age 16 and older will become eligible on April 19. A handful of states, including Hawaii and Oregon, still have May 1 as the deadline.

The president had announced just last week that 90% of adults would be eligible for one of three approved COVID-19 vaccines by April 19, in addition to having a vaccination site within 5 miles of their home.

Full Coverage:

But eligibility isn't the same as actually being vaccinated. People still have to make appointments to be vaccinated.

The White House said Monday that nearly 1 in 3 Americans and over 40% of adults have received at least one shot, and nearly 1 in 4 adults is fully vaccinated. Among older people, 75% have now received at least one shot, and more than 55% of them are fully vaccinated.

CNN was first to report on Biden's planned announcement.

___

Associated Press writer Zeke Miller in Washington contributed to this report.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Official: Biden moving vaccine eligibility date to April 19
    By DARLENE SUPERVILLE
    Today

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden was set to announce Tuesday that he is shaving about two weeks off his May 1 deadline for states to make all adults eligible for coronavirus vaccines.

With states gradually expanding eligibility beyond such priority groups as older people and essential, front-line workers, the president plans to announce that every adult in the U.S. will be eligible by April 19 to be vaccinated, a White House official said.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss Biden's plans before the formal announcement. Biden was scheduled to visit a COVID-19 vaccination site in Virginia on Tuesday, followed by remarks at the White House updating the nation on the administration's progress against the coronavirus.

April 19 is about two weeks earlier than Biden's original May 1 deadline.

Biden is also expected to announce that 150 million doses have been put into people's arms since his inauguration on Jan. 20. That puts the president well on track to meet his new goal of 200 million shots administered by April 30 — his 100th day in office.

Biden's original goal had been 100 million shots in arms by the end of his first 100 days.

The announcement about vaccine eligibility is somewhat symbolic and comes as states already were moving up their deadlines from the original May 1 goal. It also comes as a flood of vaccine supply is being sent to states this week.

At least a dozen states opened eligibility to anyone over the age of 16 on Monday alone, while New Jersey's governor announced Monday that people age 16 and older will become eligible on April 19. A handful of states, including Hawaii and Oregon, still have May 1 as the deadline.

The president had announced just last week that 90% of adults would be eligible for one of three approved COVID-19 vaccines by April 19, in addition to having a vaccination site within 5 miles of their home.

Full Coverage:

But eligibility isn't the same as actually being vaccinated. People still have to make appointments to be vaccinated.

The White House said Monday that nearly 1 in 3 Americans and over 40% of adults have received at least one shot, and nearly 1 in 4 adults is fully vaccinated. Among older people, 75% have now received at least one shot, and more than 55% of them are fully vaccinated.

CNN was first to report on Biden's planned announcement.

___

Associated Press writer Zeke Miller in Washington contributed to this report.

Fake China virus no worse than the flu
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,811
    edited April 2021
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    gvn2fly1421gvn2fly1421 Posts: 935
    dignin said:

You show me a quote by any epidemiology expert that thinks this was okay. That this was prudent or necessary.

Well, you wanted a quote from an epidemilogist saying it was ok, I don't exactly have that but I have a quote from a guy who plays one on tv and he thinks its....  well, what is he saying here?

For a guy that has been the go to on this for a year, he sure doesn't know a whole lot.  "They could be doing stuff outdoors" from the guy who said to "stay inside your home" for a year.  Science y'all!
  • Options

You do realize that each person that attended that game had a choice to attend right?  Texas did not hold a gun to their head and make them go.  Live your lives people!
  • Options
    23scidoo said:
    @23sicdoo I appreciate you man.  Most of these people in here cannot be reasoned with and any criticism of the Branch Covidian faith is not tolerated.  

Hey, speaking of that AZ vaccine, did you see what made for tv doctor Anthony Fauci said on it just last week.  The guy really knows his stuff, you must listen and obey!

• Options
    Bad news everyone, the Double Mutant Ninja Turtle variant is out.  It will be another year before some of you leave your basement.  Sorry.  It's best to escape the Branch Covidian faith now and live your life!

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-04-05/double-mutant-coronavirus-variant-detected-in-san-francisco
  • Options
    dignin said:

Well, you wanted a quote from an epidemilogist saying it was ok, I don't exactly have that but I have a quote from a guy who plays one on tv and he thinks its....  well, what is he saying here?

For a guy that has been the go to on this for a year, he sure doesn't know a whole lot.  "They could be doing stuff outdoors" from the guy who said to "stay inside your home" for a year.  Science y'all!
    So your expectation is the Fauci would know what every individual is doing in a state and how those puts and takes at up to affect the overall infection rate of a one in a lifetime disease,  and to do this comparison at the same time that a massive vaccine roll out is happening?

Do you expect that he's omniscient?  
  • Options

You do realize that each person that attended that game had a choice to attend right?  Texas did not hold a gun to their head and make them go.  Live your lives people!
    You do understand the concepts of social policy and how decisions of one person or people affect the lives of others, right?

People are living their lives by surviving and trying to protect the most vulnerable in the community.  Is there anything more Christian than that?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,817
    No - it is not due to threat of physical violence, you would not say that to me IRL because I'm not a piece of shit who wishes death on kids and you would know that if you knew me in real life.  You wouldn't even say it and hide behind "it was a joke" because you would know it would not be taken as a joke.

I do certainly blame public officials as well as asshole people who try to do what they want to do vs. what is clearly for the better of society as a whole.

People seem to think that just because Gavin Newsome is a dick who doesn't practice what he preaches or the TX/MS/SC governors are morons who do not care about the health of the residents in their states, nor the states around them, that it is ok to act like a dumbass.
    It isn't.

(I know that your opinion is the opposite, and that Fox News and Twitter tells you all sorts of things you like to point to as evidence.)

Anyway -  You joke about death and act in a bizarre fashion.   Nothing about the behavior of myself, nor the other board member you reference, supports that I would hope for the death of children or their foolish parents from COVID-19.  

This will be my last post here.  Honestly, this has taken up way to much of my time lately anyways.

First, to you and Halifax, I apologize and never meant to insinuate you wanted to kill kids, or asshole adults even.  I am sure each of you are great people in real life and if myself and either of you ended up beside me at a show, we would probably have a good time.  Please accept this apology as it is sincere.

It's very obvious we voted for different people last election and that we are "on different sides of the aisle", so to speak.  Ultimately, since I have posted in this thread if you have been following along (and I know you have  ;) ), that has been one of my broader points.  This has always been about the political science, nothing more.  If anything, this virus should have brought every single one of us (Black, white, American, Mexican, Chinese, you name it) together for a common good, and ultimately for a brief period in March, I think it did.  I was like most here, scared and unsure of what this whole thing was about, willing to do whatever necessary (I actually didn't even leave my house for weeks) to get rid of the virus only to realize we were chasing an unattainable goal.

Also, one of the points I hammer away at is the blatant hypocrisy of those advising us.  We often talk in here about data and science and articles and links and so on and so on.  My thing is this, all of these elected officials and public health folks have access to data we would only dream of having access too, yet they have gone against their own guidance, which tells me they know the real truth.  From Pelosi maskless in the hair salon, to Newsom eating in an enclosed space (with reportedly medical officials BTW) after closing indoor dining to everyone else, to the MSNBC cameras shaming folks in Wisconsin who were maskless on Memorial Day weekend only to get told that half their crew was maskless, to so on and so on.

I get that myself and most in here will never see eye to eye on this issue, but trust me when I say I seek out info from all sources.  Andy Slavitt, Dr. Eric Fiegl-Ding and others who are on the opposite side of the aisle as me.  Like everything else in society, a year into this thing everyone knows the risks.  Time to open everything back up and let people assume whatever risks they want to take.  

I leave y'all with some lyrics from a band that's not bad.  God Bless and God speed to all of you!

The north is to south what the clock is to time
    There's east and there's west and there's everywhere life
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die
    The in-between is mine
    I am mine
    And the feeling, it gets left behind
    All the innocence lost at one time
    Significant behind the eyes
    There's no need to hide
    We're safe tonight

Big Bank Hank, back in the fold!
  • Options
    No - it is not due to threat of physical violence, you would not say that to me IRL because I'm not a piece of shit who wishes death on kids and you would know that if you knew me in real life.  You wouldn't even say it and hide behind "it was a joke" because you would know it would not be taken as a joke.

I do certainly blame public officials as well as asshole people who try to do what they want to do vs. what is clearly for the better of society as a whole.

People seem to think that just because Gavin Newsome is a dick who doesn't practice what he preaches or the TX/MS/SC governors are morons who do not care about the health of the residents in their states, nor the states around them, that it is ok to act like a dumbass.
    It isn't.

(I know that your opinion is the opposite, and that Fox News and Twitter tells you all sorts of things you like to point to as evidence.)

Anyway -  You joke about death and act in a bizarre fashion.   Nothing about the behavior of myself, nor the other board member you reference, supports that I would hope for the death of children or their foolish parents from COVID-19.  

This will be my last post here.  Honestly, this has taken up way to much of my time lately anyways.

First, to you and Halifax, I apologize and never meant to insinuate you wanted to kill kids, or asshole adults even.  I am sure each of you are great people in real life and if myself and either of you ended up beside me at a show, we would probably have a good time.  Please accept this apology as it is sincere.

It's very obvious we voted for different people last election and that we are "on different sides of the aisle", so to speak.  Ultimately, since I have posted in this thread if you have been following along (and I know you have  ;) ), that has been one of my broader points.  This has always been about the political science, nothing more.  If anything, this virus should have brought every single one of us (Black, white, American, Mexican, Chinese, you name it) together for a common good, and ultimately for a brief period in March, I think it did.  I was like most here, scared and unsure of what this whole thing was about, willing to do whatever necessary (I actually didn't even leave my house for weeks) to get rid of the virus only to realize we were chasing an unattainable goal.

Also, one of the points I hammer away at is the blatant hypocrisy of those advising us.  We often talk in here about data and science and articles and links and so on and so on.  My thing is this, all of these elected officials and public health folks have access to data we would only dream of having access too, yet they have gone against their own guidance, which tells me they know the real truth.  From Pelosi maskless in the hair salon, to Newsom eating in an enclosed space (with reportedly medical officials BTW) after closing indoor dining to everyone else, to the MSNBC cameras shaming folks in Wisconsin who were maskless on Memorial Day weekend only to get told that half their crew was maskless, to so on and so on.

I get that myself and most in here will never see eye to eye on this issue, but trust me when I say I seek out info from all sources.  Andy Slavitt, Dr. Eric Fiegl-Ding and others who are on the opposite side of the aisle as me.  Like everything else in society, a year into this thing everyone knows the risks.  Time to open everything back up and let people assume whatever risks they want to take.  

I leave y'all with some lyrics from a band that's not bad.  God Bless and God speed to all of you!

The in-between is mine
    I am mine
    There's no need to hide
    We're safe tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVkUvmDQ3HY
  • Options

Don't get too big of a hard on yet, probably not be for long...  Did y'all miss me?
  • Options

It isn't.

The in-between is mine
    I am mine
    There's no need to hide
    We're safe tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVkUvmDQ3HY

Hank did finally seem to keep to his word but it was pretty funny when he would claim he was leaving and then come right back.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

You do understand the concepts of social policy and how decisions of one person or people affect the lives of others, right?

People are living their lives by surviving and trying to protect the most vulnerable in the community.  Is there anything more Christian than that?
    It all comes down to one thing: you're either care about other people & society as a whole or you don't 

It's really that simple. 
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,811
    23scidoo said:
    @23sicdoo I appreciate you man.  Most of these people in here cannot be reasoned with and any criticism of the Branch Covidian faith is not tolerated.  

Hey, speaking of that AZ vaccine, did you see what made for tv doctor Anthony Fauci said on it just last week.  The guy really knows his stuff, you must listen and obey!

Why do ostriches bury their heads under the sand - Quora
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,357
    Everyone needs a wingman :wink:
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    @23scidoo At least you are in Greece brother, where your fully vaccinated leader and his fully vaccinated wife are not masked up with a fictional character while outside...  Propaganda much?

Post edited by gvn2fly1421 on
  • Options

Hank did finally seem to keep to his word but it was pretty funny when he would claim he was leaving and then come right back.

Like I said, keep your pecker down.  It will be a brief stint.  I never knew this place had an ignore feature, but reading through some of these threads I see people talking about one.  How come you guys never ignored me?  I feel so honored.
This discussion has been closed.