Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,931
    mcgruff10 said:
    Speedy recovery Nicky!!!!! I read this morning that vitamin B helps.  
    I got my multi vitamins, my oregano oil , my elderberry lozenges, chicken soup and Gatorade all ready to rock my man!!!!
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,933
    @nicknyr15 I wish you a speedy recovery and hope your wife somehow dodges it.  Sucks to be someone that was smart about this and still gets hit with it.  It can happen to anyone.  Be well, man!
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,227
    edited August 2020
    I think the question is whether protesting the BLM movement is more important than stopping the spread of COVID-19 right now.  It is a fair question.  It is important to protest but it could lead to innocent people catching the virus and dying.   If we thought we could stop this virus with a shutdown then I would say no protests allowed during shutdown.  If COVId19 is here to stay then probably okay to protest provided social distancing.

The lockdown has been harmful to a lot of people (depression, domestic abuse) but those people have had to stay home on lock down.  

It doesn’t seem like we should be arguing so much on here.  Both sides have a valid point I think and are ultimately for the same things (get past COVID-19 and enhance equality).

Protesting is not necessarily a risk to covid. The NY protests mostly wore masks and marched, which made keeping six feet distance easier. NY maintained and exceptionally low covid rate during the protests and 3 months since.

Contrast that to the covidiot rally at the White House yesterday, masks were sparse and chairs were less than one foot apart. 

Is it at least interesting to moderates and conservatives that the RNC only tested supporters in the first few rows?

They are literally telling us it is a risk, that the risk matters to the presidents health, but the health of his supporters outside the first few rows is unimportant.  

Consider that fact alone, the massive selfishness and greed needed for thinking like that, and let me know if it is not essential Biden wins in Nov.

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    mcgruff10 said:
    The intention is to be helpful. I understand that.

But please read these two very important sentences from the article:

"While the study itself did not analyze the effects of vitamin B on COVID-19 patients
    , the authors say existing evidence on how it functions suggests that it would be extremely beneficial." 

"Dr. Uma Naidoo, a nutrition expert at Harvard Medical School and director of Nutritional and Lifestyle Psychiatry at Massachusetts General Hospital, urges caution when interpreting the results — which are not meant to suggest that vitamin B can either prevent or treat COVID-19."

Basically, the overall conclusion of the article is that a properly balanced diet will give people all the B vitamins they need, which may boost immunity.  I would like to say, however, I read a major rant from an immunologist several months ago that we all need to stop with the "eat this or do that that to boost your immunity."  His point was this:  We may get run down and susceptible to illness when our nutrition is poor, and we may develop nutrient specific diseases like scurvy. But the immune system is not run by nutrients. It's run by cells and organs in the body, which are optimized by a variety of behaviors including (but not exclusive) to nutrition, and by some things completely out of our control.

I used to be one the "Eat This, Don't Eat That" people. Then I just started eating a well-balanced diet -- and I COMPLETELY stopped spending a fortune on vitamins and oils because I realized if I just ate the rainbow, I'd get everything I need. I came to this realization after years of micromanaging my diet thinking I was controlling my health -- and I STILL got cancer in spite of all those efforts. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    @nicknyr15 I wish you a speedy recovery and hope your wife somehow dodges it.  Sucks to be someone that was smart about this and still gets hit with it.  It can happen to anyone.  Be well, man!
    thanks! It sure does! It does make me feel good that I know I did everything in my power to try to avoid it. Sometimes things just happen. Now I will do everything in my power to not spread it by staying home no matter how long it takes. 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,457
    nicknyr15 said:
    Well , I definitely caught this thing. Been super careful from February. Followed all the precautions. Went for a test on Wednesday and I’m awaiting results. My employee called out Monday and just got his positive result back. There’s no way I don’t have it. We wear masks all day but it’s a 10 hour day so we do pull them down in between customers. Dry cough and low grade fever first 2 days , yesterday felt slightly worse and lost taste and smell. Woke up today feeling better but my chest is a little sore, could be from all the coughing and I still have no taste or smell. So far very mild but still scary. My wife will be next I’m sure. I’m slightly concerned about her. She’s in good health but does have asthma. The anxiety and fear of what’s to come next fucking blows. I spend my days so uncomfortable in a mask, yelling at customers without masks, constantly sanitizing my hands and my entire store. We took this very seriously and were only serving one customer at a time in February, while my mayor was still urging people to go see a movie. All it takes is one slight mistake I guess or a little bad luck. 
    Damn hoping you recover fast same for your employee !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    bbiggs said:
    It really can.  You can improve your odds (and the odds of those around you) but at some point, some of us are going to get unlucky. (and some people that aren't worried about it are still getting lucky...the randomness of who gets it is almost as bizarre as the randomness of the symptoms).
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,094
    nicknyr15 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Speedy recovery Nicky!!!!! I read this morning that vitamin B helps.  
    I got my multi vitamins, my oregano oil , my elderberry lozenges, chicken soup and Gatorade all ready to rock my man!!!!
    elderberry? what is this, monty python? LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,933
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:
    It really can.  You can improve your odds (and the odds of those around you) but at some point, some of us are going to get unlucky. (and some people that aren't worried about it are still getting lucky...the randomness of who gets it is almost as bizarre as the randomness of the symptoms).
    Very true.  Some that are careless will walk away never getting it.  Crazy virus.

• Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    thanks! It sure does! It does make me feel good that I know I did everything in my power to try to avoid it. Sometimes things just happen. Now I will do everything in my power to not spread it by staying home no matter how long it takes. 
    Good luck and best wishes to you and your wife! If only everyone thought that way! You will make it through well!

My throat has been feeling a bit sore for an hour now... out of a sudden...
    What a f..king shit feeling right now. Of course I was at my parents' home today... i can't stand the thought that I might have put them in danger... Damn...  :(
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Well , I definitely caught this thing. Been super careful from February. Followed all the precautions. Went for a test on Wednesday and I’m awaiting results. My employee called out Monday and just got his positive result back. There’s no way I don’t have it. We wear masks all day but it’s a 10 hour day so we do pull them down in between customers. Dry cough and low grade fever first 2 days , yesterday felt slightly worse and lost taste and smell. Woke up today feeling better but my chest is a little sore, could be from all the coughing and I still have no taste or smell. So far very mild but still scary. My wife will be next I’m sure. I’m slightly concerned about her. She’s in good health but does have asthma. The anxiety and fear of what’s to come next fucking blows. I spend my days so uncomfortable in a mask, yelling at customers without masks, constantly sanitizing my hands and my entire store. We took this very seriously and were only serving one customer at a time in February, while my mayor was still urging people to go see a movie. All it takes is one slight mistake I guess or a little bad luck. 
    Damn hoping you recover fast same for your employee !
    Thanks Jose. Luckily I’m experiencing mild symptoms right now as did my employee. My biggest problems are not being able to smoke pot and surf 😂😂. Hopefully it stays that way. 
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,218
    edited August 2020
    @nicknyr15 hoping for a speedy recovery. My sister-in-law and niece both recently got it and their description was spot on with yours. The 15 year old kicked it in a couple of days and her mom took a couple of weeks to feel 100%, but she said it was never anywhere near bad enough to seek medical attention, just felt a little off after the initial symptoms. Your wife may avoid it, my brother and his 2 other kids somehow didn't get it all living under the same roof. Hang in there.
    Post edited by FiveBelow on
  • Options
    kce8 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Good luck and best wishes to you and your wife! If only everyone thought that way! You will make it through well!

My throat has been feeling a bit sore for an hour now... out of a sudden...
    What a f..king shit feeling right now. Of course I was at my parents' home today... i can't stand the thought that I might have put them in danger... Damn...  :(
    I appreciate that. Hope you’re ok as well 
  • Options
    JW269453 said:
    @nicknyr15 hoping for a speedy recovery. My sister-in-law and niece both recently got it and their description was spot on with yours. The 15 year old kicked it in a couple of days and her mom took a couple of weeks to feel 100%, but she said it was never anywhere near bad enough to seek medical attention, just felt a little off after the initial symptoms. Hang in there.
    Comforting news! Ty. 
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,404
    @nicknyr15 wishing you a very quick recovery and all the best to your family!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    @nicknyr15 wishing you a very quick recovery and all the best to your family!
    🙏🏼🙏🏼 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,205
    nicknyr15 said:
    I hope you feel better. I was also very careful. Sometimes, it just gets you. Not your fault. I know it is scary. Your symptoms sound as mild as mine were, but slightly different in manifestation. If you are feeling at all anxious and want to talk to someone who had it, and is now totally fine, please PM me.

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    I hope you feel better. I was also very careful. Sometimes, it just gets you. Not your fault. I know it is scary. Your symptoms sound as mild as mine were, but slightly different in manifestation. If you are feeling at all anxious and want to talk to someone who had it, and is now totally fine, please PM me.

That’s so nice of you to reach out. I’ve already calmed down a little about it today thanks to everyone here reaching out. I won’t hesitate to pm you if needed. 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,156
    nicknyr15 said:
    1) I hope you are ok

2) why pull the masks down? I wear mine 8-11 hours a day at work, even by myself at my desk for hours sometimes. We have a 100% mask policy and since I have to enforce it I’m sure as shit not going to not role model. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    1) I hope you are ok

2) why pull the masks down? I wear mine 8-11 hours a day at work, even by myself at my desk for hours sometimes. We have a 100% mask policy and since I have to enforce it I’m sure as shit not going to not role model. 
    I have three employees. We are like family and we all take this very seriously. We worked through the entirety of the pandemic together. 
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,954
    American Academy of Pediatrics data from Aug. 20.

• Options
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,227
    nicknyr15 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    nicknyr15 said:

That’s so nice of you to reach out. I’ve already calmed down a little about it today thanks to everyone here reaching out. I won’t hesitate to pm you if needed. 

Sorry to hear the news. Just remember plenty of nyr nyi games to enjoy starting in dec! That should help with speedy recovery!

Your comments have me concerned for your safety, as well as thinking about NY schools opening in about a week. The kids will all wear masks, but kids keeping them on during a 9 hour day?

and the state is not requiring any testing, so a school could have a huge outbreak and the community will not know until it is too late. For six months doctors have been on tv telling us early testing is essential and now this? Sometimes I wonder what goes on between the governors ears.

hope you are feeling better by the time you see this.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Sorry to hear the news. Just remember plenty of nyr nyi games to enjoy starting in dec! That should help with speedy recovery!

Your comments have me concerned for your safety, as well as thinking about NY schools opening in about a week. The kids will all wear masks, but kids keeping them on during a 9 hour day?

and the state is not requiring any testing, so a school could have a huge outbreak and the community will not know until it is too late. For six months doctors have been on tv telling us early testing is essential and now this? Sometimes I wonder what goes on between the governors ears.

hope you are feeling better by the time you see this.
    Thanks man! I am feeling better. I’m only experiencing a mild dry cough, some lower back aches and a loss of taste and smell. Not bad at all luckily. If we’re able to rapidly test athletes, celebrities , joe Rogan guests Etc..... I don’t know why we can’t offer this to everyone. Are we not important enough? Just seems very odd. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,357

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Herd immunity ok! 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,094
    and herd immunity is irrelevant if you can be reinfected. the jury is still out on that one, so suggesting herd immunity at this stage is utter lunacy. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    and herd immunity is irrelevant if you can be reinfected. the jury is still out on that one, so suggesting herd immunity at this stage is utter lunacy. 
    That’s what the new appointed man is saying! 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    It’s not irrelevant, and the two are separate concepts. The few documented cases of reinfection at this point suggest that the reinfections are much less symptomatic or asymptomatic, so quite possibly not much to worry about with reinfection. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    It’s not irrelevant, and the two are separate concepts. The few documented cases of reinfection at this point suggest that the reinfections are much less symptomatic or asymptomatic, so quite possibly not much to worry about with reinfection. 
    Hopefully that holds true.  That said, I'm still thinking a dive inter herd immunity would be ill-advised.

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
This discussion has been closed.