Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,179
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Currently more than 100 people in seven states have tested positive after attending the Sturgis motorcycle rally. 

And counting. 
    .04%

As you choose to ignore the important number...seven...proving the essential facts of living in a pandemic for half a year have evaded you. 

I’m sure you realize your CFR is impossible to exist in this reality of such a highly contagious disease.

Even if your rate isn’t underestimated by a factor of a thousand it’s a good thing that people who attended eventually  fall victim to this disease they choose to ignore as they are unlikely to vote Biden/Harris and will allow Darwin’s natural selection to do its job efficiently.
    Wait...I just want to make sure I have this straight.  So if you ride a motorcycle you don't vote Biden/Harris?  Is that how it goes?  Just checking. 

I think the assumption was probably that people that go to large gatherings that serve as petri dishes tend to support Trump and the GQP.  As for the crassness of implying that it's good that they'll die, well, we're post-political-correctness, now, right?

Large gatherings, as in protests?  I want to make sure I understand what goes in the safe vs. unsafe column.  The double standards and assumptions are off the charts these days.  And I would disagree we're post political correctness.  If anything, the PC is at an all time high.

For thread integrity, I hope all protestors and all bikers attending a rally are smart enough to wear a mask and remain safe.
    I know you don't like protesters and I suspect you don't think there are any problems with police today.

But we were talking about Sturgis...those are people not "living in fear."  Those people tend to be conservative...given how even this issue has become politicized.

As for protests, I'm not naive enough to believe they do not contribute to the spread, too.  It's why I didn't participate a few months ago.  They do and it's disingenuous to say they don't, even if they are outside and there are masks.  But first, we're talking about going to indoor bars and, for some reason, a SmashMouth show in constant close proximity. And second, I skipped the protests because I have that luxury. I can trust cops with my life; the most I ever fear is a traffic ticket. I can sympathize with the balance between covid and the realities of police today. Kyle Rittenhouse blew it.  He was on the way to becoming a police officer. He's the kind of person you support, unconditionally.

You know I don't like protestors?  Excuse me.  I won't even reply to such a disgraceful comment.  I do not like looters and vandals, but it has been well established that they are not the same in several other threads, unless you're lumping them together as one, which would again be disgraceful.

I have no idea what indoor bars you're referring to or what SmashMouth is.  I was talking about an outdoor bike rally.

Again with your asinine assumptions.  I support Kyle Rittenhouse?  You are showing just how ignorant you are with a comment like that.  I have quite a bit more I could say, but I won't to avoid being banned. 

If you are talking about Sturgis you surely are not talking about an oudoor bike rally.  That's like saying you are talking about a Pearl Jam concert by mentioning only the long merch lines.  It's a big part of it...but so much more!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,933
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Currently more than 100 people in seven states have tested positive after attending the Sturgis motorcycle rally. 

And counting. 
    .04%

As you choose to ignore the important number...seven...proving the essential facts of living in a pandemic for half a year have evaded you. 

I’m sure you realize your CFR is impossible to exist in this reality of such a highly contagious disease.

Even if your rate isn’t underestimated by a factor of a thousand it’s a good thing that people who attended eventually  fall victim to this disease they choose to ignore as they are unlikely to vote Biden/Harris and will allow Darwin’s natural selection to do its job efficiently.
    Wait...I just want to make sure I have this straight.  So if you ride a motorcycle you don't vote Biden/Harris?  Is that how it goes?  Just checking. 

I think the assumption was probably that people that go to large gatherings that serve as petri dishes tend to support Trump and the GQP.  As for the crassness of implying that it's good that they'll die, well, we're post-political-correctness, now, right?

Large gatherings, as in protests?  I want to make sure I understand what goes in the safe vs. unsafe column.  The double standards and assumptions are off the charts these days.  And I would disagree we're post political correctness.  If anything, the PC is at an all time high.

For thread integrity, I hope all protestors and all bikers attending a rally are smart enough to wear a mask and remain safe.
    I know you don't like protesters and I suspect you don't think there are any problems with police today.

But we were talking about Sturgis...those are people not "living in fear."  Those people tend to be conservative...given how even this issue has become politicized.

As for protests, I'm not naive enough to believe they do not contribute to the spread, too.  It's why I didn't participate a few months ago.  They do and it's disingenuous to say they don't, even if they are outside and there are masks.  But first, we're talking about going to indoor bars and, for some reason, a SmashMouth show in constant close proximity. And second, I skipped the protests because I have that luxury. I can trust cops with my life; the most I ever fear is a traffic ticket. I can sympathize with the balance between covid and the realities of police today. Kyle Rittenhouse blew it.  He was on the way to becoming a police officer. He's the kind of person you support, unconditionally.

You know I don't like protestors?  Excuse me.  I won't even reply to such a disgraceful comment.  I do not like looters and vandals, but it has been well established that they are not the same in several other threads, unless you're lumping them together as one, which would again be disgraceful.

I have no idea what indoor bars you're referring to or what SmashMouth is.  I was talking about an outdoor bike rally.

Again with your asinine assumptions.  I support Kyle Rittenhouse?  You are showing just how ignorant you are with a comment like that.  I have quite a bit more I could say, but I won't to avoid being banned. 

If you are talking about Sturgis you surely are not talking about an oudoor bike rally.  That's like saying you are talking about a Pearl Jam concert by mentioning only the long merch lines.  It's a big part of it...but so much more!
    Never been there in my life, bud.  Don't own a motorcycle.  We can nitpick and play wordsmith all day long though if you'd like.

• Options
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:

And counting. 
    .04%

What gets selected to jump down someone's throat about is comical.  You're all over me about a bike rally being indoor/outdoor.  Zero mention over the poster that said those attending the rally would be better off dead because they don't share his political beliefs.  I'm paraphrasing in case you're going to nitpick those words too.  Crazy what this has become.  If that's what politics look like in 2020 then it's time for me to bow out.

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:

And counting. 
    .04%

What gets selected to jump down someone's throat about is comical.  You're all over me about a bike rally being indoor/outdoor.  Zero mention over the poster that said those attending the rally would be better off dead because they don't share his political beliefs.  I'm paraphrasing in case you're going to nitpick those words too.  Crazy what this has become.  If that's what politics look like in 2020 then it's time for me to bow out.

I think this is what politics look like in 2020. I think one side used that tactic in 2015/2016, and the other didn't, and we are stuck with Trump. He flipped the script. So I'm onboard with fighting fire with fire. Post-Trump we can figure out how to bring politics back to something with a little more thought, understanding, give/take, compassion and decorum. For now, and for as long as the GOP is the Party of Trump, I'm all for verbal street fighting when polite discourse is not possible - political groin strikes and throat punches and whatever else is necessary to disable the opposition. When they go low, knee them in the face. I'm tired of watching politics as we knew it be so completely ineffective. I'm tired of watching checks and balances be the stuff of textbooks rather than reality. Subpoenas ignored, facts and science ignored, independent council findings dismissed out of hand, impeachment trials a mockery, Inspector Generals fired for doing their jobs, lies repeated until they're believed. It is all bullshit. But it is also our new reality with Trump. So again, yes, I do believe this is what politics look like in 2020.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,845
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:

And counting. 
    .04%

OK, I apologize for making a few unfair statements.

I suppose it looks disingenuous if I explain myself here, so I'll just say that I'm surprised you don't know the band Smash Mouth (not that you're missing out on anything).

I will go to the Police Abuse thread to explain my Rittenhouse comment...it wasn't about you but a bigger commentary on police.

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:

And counting. 
    .04%

OK, I apologize for making a few unfair statements.

I suppose it looks disingenuous if I explain myself here, so I'll just say that I'm surprised you don't know the band Smash Mouth (not that you're missing out on anything).

I will go to the Police Abuse thread to explain my Rittenhouse comment...it wasn't about you but a bigger commentary on police.

All good.  Appreciate you apologizing.  Accepted.  While my comments may challenge certain topics, I would never want to be lumped together with anyone that discourages peaceful protesting or that supports a maniac with a gun murdering someone. 

• Options
    jeffbr said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:

And counting. 
    .04%

I think this is what politics look like in 2020. I think one side used that tactic in 2015/2016, and the other didn't, and we are stuck with Trump. He flipped the script. So I'm onboard with fighting fire with fire. Post-Trump we can figure out how to bring politics back to something with a little more thought, understanding, give/take, compassion and decorum. For now, and for as long as the GOP is the Party of Trump, I'm all for verbal street fighting when polite discourse is not possible - political groin strikes and throat punches and whatever else is necessary to disable the opposition. When they go low, knee them in the face. I'm tired of watching politics as we knew it be so completely ineffective. I'm tired of watching checks and balances be the stuff of textbooks rather than reality. Subpoenas ignored, facts and science ignored, independent council findings dismissed out of hand, impeachment trials a mockery, Inspector Generals fired for doing their jobs, lies repeated until they're believed. It is all bullshit. But it is also our new reality with Trump. So again, yes, I do believe this is what politics look like in 2020.
    Fair enough.  I get it, but I don't like it.  It's a shame it has come to this.  The divide is wider and deeper than ever before in my lifetime.  Hopefully it can close a bit, sooner rather than later.

• Options
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:

And counting. 
    .04%

Jump down your throat?  Just making sure you know what all Sturgis entails as it is pertinent to the conversation regarding Covid exposure.  Even added a joke...jump down your throat.  So I guess you just want to say whatever you want and not have people comment?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,108
    I will never be on board with wishing someone would die because they either "deserved it" or don't share my political beliefs. 

sorry, can't do it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:

And counting. 
    .04%

Jump down your throat?  Just making sure you know what all Sturgis entails as it is pertinent to the conversation regarding Covid exposure.  Even added a joke...jump down your throat.  So I guess you just want to say whatever you want and not have people comment?
    No.  Everyone has the right to comment as they wish on a public forum like this.  I will say what I please as well.  I would never expect to have my comments not commented on, so feel free.  I guess it got lost in translation because I don't know shit about the Sturgis bike rally.  Didn't spend the time to look it up.  I think bike rally and I think outdoors on a bike (go figure); not congregating indoors.

• Options
    I will never be on board with wishing someone would die because they either "deserved it" or don't share my political beliefs. 

sorry, can't do it. 
    +1

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,048
    edited August 2020
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:

And counting. 
    .04%

No.  Everyone has the right to comment as they wish on a public forum like this.  I will say what I please as well.  I would never expect to have my comments not commented on, so feel free.  I guess it got lost in translation because I don't know shit about the Sturgis bike rally.  Didn't spend the time to look it up.  I think bike rally and I think outdoors on a bike (go figure); not congregating indoors.

I’ve been to Sturgis twice, by accident, about 20 years ago. Never heard of it, was traveling on vacation with the family going to Mt Rushmore and other places and all of the sudden realized we’re in the middle of a bike rally. 
    It was fun to witness, have no desire to participate in it. 
    Picture Marriage Gras, but with bikers. Same amount of clothing but average age increase by about 30-40 years
    Every bar is packed for about a 10 mile radius.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Do they get beads or rings at ol’ Marriage Gras? ;)
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,048
    You throw beads to get them to put their shirt back on.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:

And counting. 
    .04%

I’ve been to Sturgis twice, by accident, about 20 years ago. Never heard of it, was traveling on vacation with the family going to Mt Rushmore and other places and all of the sudden realized we’re in the middle of a bike rally. 
    It was fun to witness, have no desire to participate in it. 
    Picture Marriage Gras, but with bikers. Same amount of clothing but average age increase by about 30-40 years
    Every bar is packed for about a 10 mile radius.
    Thanks for the info.  That just painted an unpleasant picture.  LOL

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    You throw beads to get them to put their shirt back on.
    :fearful:
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,648
    edited August 2020
    I think the question is whether protesting the BLM movement is more important than stopping the spread of COVID-19 right now.  It is a fair question.  It is important to protest but it could lead to innocent people catching the virus and dying.   If we thought we could stop this virus with a shutdown then I would say no protests allowed during shutdown.  If COVId19 is here to stay then probably okay to protest provided social distancing.

The lockdown has been harmful to a lot of people (depression, domestic abuse) but those people have had to stay home on lock down.  

It doesn’t seem like we should be arguing so much on here.  Both sides have a valid point I think and are ultimately for the same things (get past COVID-19 and enhance equality).
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    anyone consider that the asshole in chief's bungling of the virus response was in part to try to control the populace?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,445
    anyone consider that the asshole in chief's bungling of the virus response was in part to try to control the populace?
    ME! The elderly and minorities.  Thought I was the only one who thought this. I don’t put anything paste this idiot but thought for sure I’d get crushed on here if I posted it. Thanks!
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,445
    I also agreed with your feelings regarding the issues that face blacks, minorities.  I to feel embarrassed to be white sometimes. 
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    My only knowledge of the Sturgis bike rally is that WCW wrestling used to have Pay-Per-Views there....and it was a pretty cool and unique venue for a wrestling show...

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    I also agreed with your feelings regarding the issues that face blacks, minorities.  I to feel embarrassed to be white sometimes. 
    Wow, really?

I’ve never felt shame for who I am, especially my skin color - just as I feel no “pride” as such. I don’t judge people by the things over which they have no control; I would hope the same is afforded me. 

Otherwise, what’s the point?
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    Wow, really?

I’ve never felt shame for who I am, especially my skin color - just as I feel no “pride” as such. I don’t judge people by the things over which they have no control; I would hope the same is afforded me. 

yeah, i'm not sure what this person is referring to. i don't recall ever stating i'm embarrassed to be white. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    hedonist said:
    Wow, really?

yeah, i'm not sure what this person is referring to. i don't recall ever stating i'm embarrassed to be white. 
    I was looking back trying to find what was referred to...didn't see anything.  

It's ok to be embarrassed to be this or that over certain things.  Despite not me directly, I feel shame in regards to treatment of native americans and african-americans.  It's not really embarrassed to be white though.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    I don't know that I'm embarrased to be white.  But I sure get down on white people sometimes. 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,936
    OnWis97 said:
    I don't know that I'm embarrased to be white.  But I sure get down on white people sometimes. 
    I get down on just people sometimes. Shitty people come in all shapes sizes and color. 
  • Options
    Well , I definitely caught this thing. Been super careful from February. Followed all the precautions. Went for a test on Wednesday and I’m awaiting results. My employee called out Monday and just got his positive result back. There’s no way I don’t have it. We wear masks all day but it’s a 10 hour day so we do pull them down in between customers. Dry cough and low grade fever first 2 days , yesterday felt slightly worse and lost taste and smell. Woke up today feeling better but my chest is a little sore, could be from all the coughing and I still have no taste or smell. So far very mild but still scary. My wife will be next I’m sure. I’m slightly concerned about her. She’s in good health but does have asthma. The anxiety and fear of what’s to come next fucking blows. I spend my days so uncomfortable in a mask, yelling at customers without masks, constantly sanitizing my hands and my entire store. We took this very seriously and were only serving one customer at a time in February, while my mayor was still urging people to go see a movie. All it takes is one slight mistake I guess or a little bad luck. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Well , I definitely caught this thing. Been super careful from February. Followed all the precautions. Went for a test on Wednesday and I’m awaiting results. My employee called out Monday and just got his positive result back. There’s no way I don’t have it. We wear masks all day but it’s a 10 hour day so we do pull them down in between customers. Dry cough and low grade fever first 2 days , yesterday felt slightly worse and lost taste and smell. Woke up today feeling better but my chest is a little sore, could be from all the coughing and I still have no taste or smell. So far very mild but still scary. My wife will be next I’m sure. I’m slightly concerned about her. She’s in good health but does have asthma. The anxiety and fear of what’s to come next fucking blows. I spend my days so uncomfortable in a mask, yelling at customers without masks, constantly sanitizing my hands and my entire store. We took this very seriously and were only serving one customer at a time in February, while my mayor was still urging people to go see a movie. All it takes is one slight mistake I guess or a little bad luck. 
    That sucks. I hope it all works out for you and yours.  It's amazing how many precautions you can take; there's always a loophole, if you will.

Hopefully you'll be one of those people who get annoying symptoms for a while and it goes away.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    nicknyr15 said:
    Ugh, it sounds awful. I hope you have a speedy recovery with no lingering issues, and I hope your wife somehow avoids its. I'm sure the anxiety alone is rough. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Thank you guys very much. I’m sure we’ll be ok. But yea, the anxiety sucks. And luckily I’m not one who suffers from anxiety. 
This discussion has been closed.