Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    OnWis97 said:
    One thing I find interesting, and this is particular to AMT is that there's very little division in this thread.  I believe one person popped in with a conspiracy theory, but for the most part, our differences here are pretty minor.

Out in the real world, there's a critical mass of people who feel the virus is a hoax, or they parrot inflated survival rates (based mostly on the fact that a lot of people who die had some other medical condition so it doesn't count), won't wear masks, etc. But here?  Everyone seems to be pretty much on the same page, moreso than on the other hot topics. I wonder why...
    to underscore your point, there is that 6% CDC thing that went semi-viral and is making some people believe that covid deaths are highly over-reported, due to the finding that 94% of covid deaths had a comorbidity. However, it's not that simple. This article outlines it in a very understandable way. 

https://www.vox.com/2020/9/1/21410352/cdc-6-percent-covid-19-deaths-comorbidities
    Unless you’re hit by a bus when you’re 22, almost all deaths involve comorbidities. 
    can you give an example?

The average age of death in Canada currently is just over 81 years. As we get older, even if we lead an exemplary lifestyle (and how many of us do?), we almost inevitably accumulate health issues, which are worsened by a multitude of lifestyle choices, our genetics, and bad luck.  If someone gets ill with pneumonia as a young and healthy adult their odds of recovering are very high because they usually haven't accumulated a bunch of other health issues . If someone gets ill with pneumonia as a middle aged or older adult, they may well also be dealing with diabetes, or limited respiratory function from smoking, or reduction in cardiac function due to some clogged arteries, maybe reduced kidney function. All of those things make it more likely that they will tip into respiratory failure, or have an MI, or go into multi-organ failure, and not recover, because there is less reserve to draw on.  They used to call pneumonia "the old man's friend", because it was a relatively painless way that old and already sick individuals would finally die. Determining the exact cause of death in these circumstances is tricky because it's multifactorial. So yes, no surprise at all that 94% of covid deaths would have a comorbidity, since the majority of those who died are over 65. That doesn't diminish the importance of the covid infection, since many/most of those people wouldn't have died then without it.
    ok, yes, since you are drawing from the pool that are of a certain age group, but doesn't covid cause death proportionally more in younger adults than any other virus that we've known?
    Most, though not all, of whom do have comorbidities.

And when I said “almost all deaths”, I really meant almost all deaths, not just COVID deaths. It was a general comment on the issue of comorbidity and why the fuss that some
    people seem to be making about it just shows lack of understanding. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,033
    OnWis97 said:
    One thing I find interesting, and this is particular to AMT is that there's very little division in this thread.  I believe one person popped in with a conspiracy theory, but for the most part, our differences here are pretty minor.

Out in the real world, there's a critical mass of people who feel the virus is a hoax, or they parrot inflated survival rates (based mostly on the fact that a lot of people who die had some other medical condition so it doesn't count), won't wear masks, etc. But here?  Everyone seems to be pretty much on the same page, moreso than on the other hot topics. I wonder why...
    to underscore your point, there is that 6% CDC thing that went semi-viral and is making some people believe that covid deaths are highly over-reported, due to the finding that 94% of covid deaths had a comorbidity. However, it's not that simple. This article outlines it in a very understandable way. 

https://www.vox.com/2020/9/1/21410352/cdc-6-percent-covid-19-deaths-comorbidities
    Unless you’re hit by a bus when you’re 22, almost all deaths involve comorbidities. 
    can you give an example?

The average age of death in Canada currently is just over 81 years. As we get older, even if we lead an exemplary lifestyle (and how many of us do?), we almost inevitably accumulate health issues, which are worsened by a multitude of lifestyle choices, our genetics, and bad luck.  If someone gets ill with pneumonia as a young and healthy adult their odds of recovering are very high because they usually haven't accumulated a bunch of other health issues . If someone gets ill with pneumonia as a middle aged or older adult, they may well also be dealing with diabetes, or limited respiratory function from smoking, or reduction in cardiac function due to some clogged arteries, maybe reduced kidney function. All of those things make it more likely that they will tip into respiratory failure, or have an MI, or go into multi-organ failure, and not recover, because there is less reserve to draw on.  They used to call pneumonia "the old man's friend", because it was a relatively painless way that old and already sick individuals would finally die. Determining the exact cause of death in these circumstances is tricky because it's multifactorial. So yes, no surprise at all that 94% of covid deaths would have a comorbidity, since the majority of those who died are over 65. That doesn't diminish the importance of the covid infection, since many/most of those people wouldn't have died then without it.
    ok, yes, since you are drawing from the pool that are of a certain age group, but doesn't covid cause death proportionally more in younger adults than any other virus that we've known?

And when I said “almost all deaths”, I really meant almost all deaths, not just COVID deaths. It was a general comment on the issue of comorbidity and why the fuss that some
    correct me if i'm wrong, but are you saying that we are making more of covid than it actually is?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    OnWis97 said:

can you give an example?

correct me if i'm wrong, but are you saying that we are making more of covid than it actually is?
    No 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,919
    edited September 2020

BC Government data, Sept 3
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/1301871391881527298?s=21
    Who here will jump at getting the vaccine the Covidiot will be pushing? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    When his sheep start dying from it, he’ll declare it an act of war from dems. 
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,838
    edited September 2020
    I was tested in May.  At that time, I went on my health insurance company's website, answered a few questions about symptoms, etc., scheduled an appointment for a drive-up test that afternoon, got tested, and had the (negative) results the next day.

I'm thinking about getting tested again...I have the same symptoms I've had since May, so I'm likely OK (making me a less-than-top-priority, I suppose) and I have to make a video appointment with my Doc, who will decide whether I should get tested. "Due to a national shortage of testing supplies."

I'm not on top of things enough to know much about it...I believe the quote is true...but I wonder about why.  Is this because people are getting tested and we're using supplies at a faster rate than they can be produced? Or is there something more nefarious at hand to create the shortage?

It's going to weed some people out (and I don't just mean any unnecessary test, but people that don't want to jump through the hoops)...which may or may not be the goal.
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,921
    OnWis97 said:
    I was tested in May.  At that time, I went on my health insurance company's website, answered a few questions about symptoms, etc., scheduled an appointment for a drive-up test that afternoon, got tested, and had the (negative) results the next day.

I'm thinking about getting tested again...I have the same symptoms I've had since May, so I'm likely OK (making me a less-than-top-priority, I suppose) and I have to make a video appointment with my Doc, who will decide whether I should get tested. "Due to a national shortage of testing supplies."

I'm not on top of things enough to know much about it...I believe the quote is true...but I wonder about why.  Is this because people are getting tested and we're using supplies at a faster rate than they can be produced? Or is there something more nefarious at hand to create the shortage?

It's going to weed some people out (and I don't just mean any unnecessary test, but people that don't want to jump through the hoops)...which may or may not be the goal.
    Didn’t experience this in NYC. My wife and I got tested with no appointment or doctors approval. My employees got tested with no symptoms, just based on that they might have been exposed. This was in the past 2 weeks. 
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    nicknyr15 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Didn’t experience this in NYC. My wife and I got tested with no appointment or doctors approval. My employees got tested with no symptoms, just based on that they might have been exposed. This was in the past 2 weeks. 
    Are you feeling like you and the lady made it through Covid ok @nicknyr15 ?  Or still feeling like you aren’t quite out of the woods?  At any rate I’m hoping the best for you guys.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Are you feeling like you and the lady made it through Covid ok @nicknyr15 ?  Or still feeling like you aren’t quite out of the woods?  At any rate I’m hoping the best for you guys.
    Thank you so much for those kind words. I’m feeling a lot better. Feel a little weak and still have no sense of taste or smell. My wife still has a very slight fever ,about 100.1, and slight tightness in chest. But it feels like we’re almost through. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    static111 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Thank you so much for those kind words. I’m feeling a lot better. Feel a little weak and still have no sense of taste or smell. My wife still has a very slight fever ,about 100.1, and slight tightness in chest. But it feels like we’re almost through. 
    Positive vibes((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))) for you & loved ones! 

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    static111 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Love all you guys. Even if we all disagree sometimes, I always feel the love when it matters most. Much appreciated. 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    OnWis97 said:

I’ve had four in the last two months for medical procedures. I have to go to my hospital’s drive-thru, but there’ve no issues whatsoever in availability or their 48-hour turnaround time. 

I wonder if the shortages might be more of a regional thing?

And that’s good news, nick!
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    static111 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Love all you guys. Even if we all disagree sometimes, I always feel the love when it matters most. Much appreciated. 
    Likewise I’ve learned an awful lot from posters that don’t agree with me on issues but that’s ok we should always show compassion and support each other! 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,019
    nicknyr15 said:
    static111 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Awesome to hear bud!  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    static111 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Difference of opinion are 1 thing. Life and death is another. Stay strong. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    static111 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Difference of opinion are 1 thing. Life and death is another. Stay strong. 
    👍🏼👍🏼Ty 
  • Options
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/04/health/oleandrin-coronavirus-fda-mypillow/index.html
    I’m glad I work in a hospital during this time I get better information from professionals I can trust! 

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,351
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/04/health/oleandrin-coronavirus-fda-mypillow/index.html
    I’m glad I work in a hospital during this time I get better information from professionals I can trust! 

Anyone who takes medical advice from the My Pillow nut job deserves what they get.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,919
    How will covid-19 impact globalization? Here is a link from academic perspectives courtesy my M.Ed. Adult Learning and Global Change program.

https://youtu.be/jyYAM158PcA
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,220
    nicknyr15 said:
    OnWis97 said:

NY is very different from many states. They are testing about 100,000 per day. Overall testing in the US is trending down. Glad to hear you are doing better. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    tish said:

Interesting article from conservative David Frum on the differences crossing into Canada and USA, 

www.theatlantic.com

I Crossed Back Into a State of Denial

3 - 4 minutes

On the Fourth of July, I drove across the border from the United States into Canada. Two months later, I drove the other way. Both times, I crossed at the same point: just east of Lake Ontario, amid the Thousand Islands of the St. Lawrence River. Both times, I was driving a rented U-Haul, carrying household effects I was swapping between city and vacation house. And there the similarities stopped.

When I entered Canada, the single official I encountered wore a high-quality face mask. She asked me to lower my mask briefly so she could inspect my face, then probed with three questions: By what right did I enter Canada? (I was born there.) What was in the truck? (Personal effects.) And what was my plan for quarantine and self-isolation in Canada?

That last topic occupied probably six or seven minutes. She asked where I would stay, who else would be there, how I would get groceries and other necessities. She took my email address and phone number. The entire process—including the wait time for the one vehicle ahead of me when I halted—occupied approximately 15 minutes. Over the following two weeks, I would receive daily messages by text or robocall to confirm that I was complying with quarantine rules. Once, I received an in-person call. I don’t know that there was really any follow-up beyond these contacts, but they reminded me that I had given a promise and that somebody cared whether I honored that promise.

On the return trip, I was halted at a checkpoint a couple of hundred yards before the inspector booth. I showed my U.S. passport, answered a question about residence, and rolled forward. None of the three officers at the checkpoint wore a mask.

The U.S. station was much larger and busier than the Canadian station, crowded with trucks, and much more heavily staffed. More than one lane was open, and it took me a minute to ascertain the correct one. The officer at the inspection booth also did not wear a mask. He told me to remove my mask and keep it off for as long as we talked. He asked as many questions as his Canadian counterpart, but his focus was very different. We talked in detail about the contents of the truck. Was I carrying marijuana? Cash? Weapons? He did not ask a single question about COVID-19 or quarantine. He then waved me forward to a secondary inspection, an electronic screening of the truck. A police car, its driver unmasked, led me to the station. Two officers there, again unmasked, explained how to drive my truck past an X-ray machine. Afterward, an eighth officer, unmasked like the others, asked me to step out of the cabin so he could look around. Then I was sent on my way. Total time elapsed: 50 minutes.

All the U.S. officers were professional and courteous, and a couple went out of their way to be pleasant. One apologized for a delay at the secondary screening; something had gone wrong with the machine for a few minutes. But nobody seemed to reckon with the whole reason that the border had been closed in the first place. Here I was, a potential disease carrier crossing a border, and nobody seemed interested or concerned enough to do anything about it. And none of them was taking the elementary precaution of mask wearing to protect themselves and one another.

It was an apt introduction to the transition between the United States and Canada. On one side of the border, almost everybody took the virus seriously—and few people had it. On the other, the reverse.

The good news is that in the U.S., the rate of new infections has declined somewhat from its early summer peak. Vaccines do seem to be on their way—not as fast as President Donald Trump insists, but perhaps sometime in the first part of 2021.

Until that day, however, it’s pretty obvious that the real policy of the United States is to claim the rewards of successful virus management—a return to schools and universities, reopened bars and restaurants, resumption of sports—without first doing the work of successfully managing the virus.

On my first day home, September 3, my city of Washington, D.C.—population 705,000—reported 58 new COVID-19 cases. That same day, the province of Ontario, which I had just left—population 14.57 million—reported 132 new positive tests.*

Despite this depressing comparison, the District of Columbia is actually doing a better job fighting the coronavirus than most of the United States is. The seven-day average here in D.C. is less than one-third of what it was at the peak in early May. For the U.S. as a whole, the seven-day average in early September is fully two-thirds of what it was at the peak in mid-July.  

It did not have to be this way. But as Trump aptly said of himself and his policy, “It is what it is.” He accepted more disease in hopes of stimulating a stronger economy and winning reelection. He’s waiting now for the return on that bet. As so often in his reckless career, his speculation seems to be that if the bet wins, he pockets the proceeds. And if the bet fails? The losses fall on others.

As a businessman, he played with other people’s money. As a politician, the stakes have been other people’s lives. In both his careers, his gambles have usually failed.  

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,127
    tish said:

Interesting article from conservative David Frum on the differences crossing into Canada and USA, 

www.theatlantic.com

I Crossed Back Into a State of Denial

3 - 4 minutes

On the Fourth of July, I drove across the border from the United States into Canada. Two months later, I drove the other way. Both times, I crossed at the same point: just east of Lake Ontario, amid the Thousand Islands of the St. Lawrence River. Both times, I was driving a rented U-Haul, carrying household effects I was swapping between city and vacation house. And there the similarities stopped.

When I entered Canada, the single official I encountered wore a high-quality face mask. She asked me to lower my mask briefly so she could inspect my face, then probed with three questions: By what right did I enter Canada? (I was born there.) What was in the truck? (Personal effects.) And what was my plan for quarantine and self-isolation in Canada?

That last topic occupied probably six or seven minutes. She asked where I would stay, who else would be there, how I would get groceries and other necessities. She took my email address and phone number. The entire process—including the wait time for the one vehicle ahead of me when I halted—occupied approximately 15 minutes. Over the following two weeks, I would receive daily messages by text or robocall to confirm that I was complying with quarantine rules. Once, I received an in-person call. I don’t know that there was really any follow-up beyond these contacts, but they reminded me that I had given a promise and that somebody cared whether I honored that promise.

On the return trip, I was halted at a checkpoint a couple of hundred yards before the inspector booth. I showed my U.S. passport, answered a question about residence, and rolled forward. None of the three officers at the checkpoint wore a mask.

The U.S. station was much larger and busier than the Canadian station, crowded with trucks, and much more heavily staffed. More than one lane was open, and it took me a minute to ascertain the correct one. The officer at the inspection booth also did not wear a mask. He told me to remove my mask and keep it off for as long as we talked. He asked as many questions as his Canadian counterpart, but his focus was very different. We talked in detail about the contents of the truck. Was I carrying marijuana? Cash? Weapons? He did not ask a single question about COVID-19 or quarantine. He then waved me forward to a secondary inspection, an electronic screening of the truck. A police car, its driver unmasked, led me to the station. Two officers there, again unmasked, explained how to drive my truck past an X-ray machine. Afterward, an eighth officer, unmasked like the others, asked me to step out of the cabin so he could look around. Then I was sent on my way. Total time elapsed: 50 minutes.

All the U.S. officers were professional and courteous, and a couple went out of their way to be pleasant. One apologized for a delay at the secondary screening; something had gone wrong with the machine for a few minutes. But nobody seemed to reckon with the whole reason that the border had been closed in the first place. Here I was, a potential disease carrier crossing a border, and nobody seemed interested or concerned enough to do anything about it. And none of them was taking the elementary precaution of mask wearing to protect themselves and one another.

It was an apt introduction to the transition between the United States and Canada. On one side of the border, almost everybody took the virus seriously—and few people had it. On the other, the reverse.

The good news is that in the U.S., the rate of new infections has declined somewhat from its early summer peak. Vaccines do seem to be on their way—not as fast as President Donald Trump insists, but perhaps sometime in the first part of 2021.

Until that day, however, it’s pretty obvious that the real policy of the United States is to claim the rewards of successful virus management—a return to schools and universities, reopened bars and restaurants, resumption of sports—without first doing the work of successfully managing the virus.

On my first day home, September 3, my city of Washington, D.C.—population 705,000—reported 58 new COVID-19 cases. That same day, the province of Ontario, which I had just left—population 14.57 million—reported 132 new positive tests.*

Despite this depressing comparison, the District of Columbia is actually doing a better job fighting the coronavirus than most of the United States is. The seven-day average here in D.C. is less than one-third of what it was at the peak in early May. For the U.S. as a whole, the seven-day average in early September is fully two-thirds of what it was at the peak in mid-July.  

It did not have to be this way. But as Trump aptly said of himself and his policy, “It is what it is.” He accepted more disease in hopes of stimulating a stronger economy and winning reelection. He’s waiting now for the return on that bet. As so often in his reckless career, his speculation seems to be that if the bet wins, he pockets the proceeds. And if the bet fails? The losses fall on others.

As a businessman, he played with other people’s money. As a politician, the stakes have been other people’s lives. In both his careers, his gambles have usually failed.  

That right there is a perfect picture into why the USA is in the downward perils we find ourselves in battling this CV19.

Thank you for posting I'll try and post this on the forum for RUSH. Many there are pro Trumpers but last I checked the more verbal members have gone silent.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    ^ I would not expect too many Biden supporters on TRF ;-)
  • Options
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,351
    "The Declaration of Independence, the 2nd Amendment."
    This weekend we rock Portland
This discussion has been closed.