The coronavirus

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    I don’t walk in a black man’s shoes but I believe it has come to a point where they’re willing to risk it all to stand up to injustices that happen every damn day! I don’t blame them at all! 
    Risk it all includes you. It’s not just them, all means all. Virus doesn’t care, but you’re ok with that I guess.
    Yep I’m good! 
    Ok. You can stop blaming our lack of leadership on our inability to handle this crisis then. 
    lack of leadership is exactly why we are in this situation. if trump had come out and said we have to have a mask mandate people would have listened to him. instead he said we "have 15 cases, soon to be zero cases" and then he called it a "democrat hoax". i do not think i need to give you a summary of the different postiion changes the last 5 months. had trump been decisive, we would not be where we are today.
    Yep. 5 months ago I’d blame Trump. We’re on our own now and we don’t need him to tell us to wear a mask or social distance. We get it, we know it. Some don’t wear masks, some protest shoulder to shoulder....it’s all a problem.
    unfortunately, a not-insignificant part of the country, no matter which country, needs constant reminders to drill it into their thick skulls. trump and republican governors still share the blame in this. 

the message needs to be clear and constant from the medical community and community leaders. a pic of trump wearing a mask once does next to zero. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• I don’t walk in a black man’s shoes but I believe it has come to a point where they’re willing to risk it all to stand up to injustices that happen every damn day! I don’t blame them at all! 
    Risk it all includes you. It’s not just them, all means all. Virus doesn’t care, but you’re ok with that I guess.
    Yep I’m good! 
    Ok. You can stop blaming our lack of leadership on our inability to handle this crisis then. 
    lack of leadership is exactly why we are in this situation. if trump had come out and said we have to have a mask mandate people would have listened to him. instead he said we "have 15 cases, soon to be zero cases" and then he called it a "democrat hoax". i do not think i need to give you a summary of the different postiion changes the last 5 months. had trump been decisive, we would not be where we are today.
    Yep. 5 months ago I’d blame Trump. We’re on our own now and we don’t need him to tell us to wear a mask or social distance. We get it, we know it. Some don’t wear masks, some protest shoulder to shoulder....it’s all a problem.
    if it were not for some governors we would be in deeper trouble than we are now.

Yup.

And along those same lines, imagine how things in Florida and Texas & other red states might look if those governors took this seriously when they had a chance instead of ignoring the pandemic because it pleased their demagogue Trump?

But sure, let's blame this on protests against police brutality and some people not wearing masks.

i am surprised georgia did as well as it did for as long as it did with kemp being one of the first to open up.

i am also waiting to see what happens in the 2 weeks following the sturgis rally.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,038

I don’t walk in a black man’s shoes but I believe it has come to a point where they’re willing to risk it all to stand up to injustices that happen every damn day! I don’t blame them at all! 
    Yep I’m good! 
    if it were not for some governors we would be in deeper trouble than we are now.

Yup.

And along those same lines, imagine how things in Florida and Texas & other red states might look if those governors took this seriously when they had a chance instead of ignoring the pandemic because it pleased their demagogue Trump?

But sure, let's blame this on protests against police brutality and some people not wearing masks.

Or blame politicians from 5 months ago. Either way we are fucked in the USA. The problem is here, we know what to do but choose not to regardless of past foolishness from our elected leaders.
    Speak for yourself, I’ve been taking this seriously from the get go. 

You can go ahead and give our leaders a pass for the way they fucked this country. Me? I’m not so inclined. 

• I don’t walk in a black man’s shoes but I believe it has come to a point where they’re willing to risk it all to stand up to injustices that happen every damn day! I don’t blame them at all! 
    Yep I’m good! 

Yup.

Or blame politicians from 5 months ago. Either way we are fucked in the USA. The problem is here, we know what to do but choose not to regardless of past foolishness from our elected leaders.

You can go ahead and give our leaders a pass for the way they fucked this country. Me? I’m not so inclined. 
    Who’s giving anyone a pass?  I too am taking it seriously and I’m sick as hell of it. Got a son I just dropped off at college and a daughter starting high school remote. Tired, tired and fucking tired of it. What I’m saying is you can’t praise a protest for doing the right thing and shun someone else for saying f u I won’t wear a mask. They are both wrong, both dragging this shit on and both pissing me off. Look at other countries who got it better under control. I don’t need a politician or scientist from either side to tell me what to do. I know what to do and so do those others but they chose not to.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332

Yep I’m good! 

Yup.

Who’s giving anyone a pass?  I too am taking it seriously and I’m sick as hell of it. Got a son I just dropped off at college and a daughter starting high school remote. Tired, tired and fucking tired of it. What I’m saying is you can’t praise a protest for doing the right thing and shun someone else for saying f u I won’t wear a mask. They are both wrong, both dragging this shit on and both pissing me off. Look at other countries who got it better under control. I don’t need a politician or scientist from either side to tell me what to do. I know what to do and so do those others but they chose not to.
    I do get this kinda thinking.  It's not wrong....the protests are bad from a Covid standpoint.  Worse than Karen wearing her mask below her nose that the grocery store for 15 minutes.

I too am tired of it.
    hippiemom = goodness

Yep I’m good! 

Yup.

If you’re not willing to hold our leaders accountable for what they’ve done (or, haven’t done) in the last 5 months, you would be the one giving them a pass. The stupid citizens of this country most certainly deserve their share of the blame, but letting our leaders off the hook for their ineptitude defies all logic.

Hold them accountable by voting them out, this isn’t complicated. 
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,663

Yep I’m good! 

Yup.

If you’re not willing to hold our leaders accountable for what they’ve done (or, haven’t done) in the last 5 months, you would be the one giving them a pass. The stupid citizens of this country most certainly deserve their share of the blame, but letting our leaders off the hook for their ineptitude defies all logic.

Blind faith in your leaders, or in anything, will get you killed.”

Yep I’m good! 

Yup.

I fully plan on voting......regardless of the outcome in November I expect things to get much, much worse after that. USA is fucked.

Yep I’m good! 

Yup.

I fully plan on voting......regardless of the outcome in November I expect things to get much, much worse after that. USA is fucked.
    On that, we agree. 

Yep I’m good! 

Yup.

Blind faith in your leaders, or in anything, will get you killed.”
    I feel like a middle ground between having “blind faith” in our elected leaders and accepting / dismissing their inept response to this crisis shouldn’t be too much to ask for. 
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,759
    https://www.al.com/news/2020/08/university-of-alabama-reports-more-than-500-confirmed-covid-19-cases.html

University of Alabama reports more than 500 confirmed COVID-19 cases

Updated Aug 25, 2020; Posted Aug 24, 2020

By Michael Casagrande | mcasagrande@al.com
    The University of Alabama on Monday released the first numbers of on-campus COVID-19 test results that raised alarm bells internally.

A total of 531 confirmed cases between students, faculty and staff were reported on the Tuscaloosa campus since classes resumed Aug. 19, UA announced Monday evening. The dashboard did not include how many were tested Aug. 19 through Aug. 23 or the rate of positive tests.

• 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,091
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,297
    If you want to access what will most likely be very informative and engaging information regarding Covid-19 & SARS, see below:

Please feel free to join the livestream to learn about COVID-19, SARS-CoV-2 and the Pandemic from an amazing group of experts.  

Course:  7.00 COVID-19, SARS-CoV-2 and the Pandemic. 
    All MIT students and the general public are welcome to join Professors Richard Young and Facundo Batista as they discuss the science of the pandemic during this new class. Special guest speakers include: Anthony Fauci, David Baltimore, Britt Glaunsinger, Bruce Walker, Eric Lander, Michel Nussenzweig, Akiko Iwasaki, Arlene Sharpe, Kizzmekia Corbett, and others.

Schedule:  
    Tuesdays, September 1 through December 8, 2020 
    11:30 AM – 12:30 PM 
    See the syllabus for lecture details.

Livestream:
    password: mit-covid
    While the livestream will be available to the public, only registered students may ask questions during the Q&A.

Miss a class? Videos of the lectures will be posted here:

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    Currently more than 100 people in seven states have tested positive after attending the Sturgis motorcycle rally. 

And counting. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,301
    Currently more than 100 people in seven states have tested positive after attending the Sturgis motorcycle rally. 

And counting. 
    I still maintain that seeing smash mouth is worth it. 
  • Currently more than 100 people in seven states have tested positive after attending the Sturgis motorcycle rally. 

And counting. 
    .04%
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    nicknyr15 said:

And counting. 
    I still maintain that seeing smash mouth is worth it. 
    Now that’s humor!
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,520

And counting. 
    .04%

As you choose to ignore the important number...seven...proving the essential facts of living in a pandemic for half a year have evaded you. 

I’m sure you realize your CFR is impossible to exist in this reality of such a highly contagious disease.

Even if your rate isn’t underestimated by a factor of a thousand it’s a good thing that people who attended eventually  fall victim to this disease they choose to ignore as they are unlikely to vote Biden/Harris and will allow Darwin’s natural selection to do its job efficiently.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    My oldest brother got Covid about 3 weeks ago now.  He is 52 works and in rural areas out west.  At least 5 at his work got it too.  Nobody else in his family got it and he is symptom free now. Just hope he has none of the long term affects.

Started as an ear ache and of course fever, but weirdly his skin got really hot like a sunburn and was painful to touch.

Crazy how this virus can affect people.

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,946

And counting. 
    .04%

As you choose to ignore the important number...seven...proving the essential facts of living in a pandemic for half a year have evaded you. 

I’m sure you realize your CFR is impossible to exist in this reality of such a highly contagious disease.

Even if your rate isn’t underestimated by a factor of a thousand it’s a good thing that people who attended eventually  fall victim to this disease they choose to ignore as they are unlikely to vote Biden/Harris and will allow Darwin’s natural selection to do its job efficiently.
    Wait...I just want to make sure I have this straight.  So if you ride a motorcycle you don't vote Biden/Harris?  Is that how it goes?  Just checking. 

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    bbiggs said:

And counting. 
    .04%

Wait...I just want to make sure I have this straight.  So if you ride a motorcycle you don't vote Biden/Harris?  Is that how it goes?  Just checking. 

Obviously. And not only that, its "good" when you get sick and die because you have different political views and opinions from most here.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    edited August 2020
    Smellyman said:
    My oldest brother got Covid about 3 weeks ago now.  He is 52 works and in rural areas out west.  At least 5 at his work got it too.  Nobody else in his family got it and he is symptom free now. Just hope he has none of the long term affects.

Started as an ear ache and of course fever, but weirdly his skin got really hot like a sunburn and was painful to touch.

Crazy how this virus can affect people.

That painful skin happened to me in March. It felt like a sunburn. It was only on my back and not hot - but really painful - like when your clothes touch your sunburn. I went to a walk-in clinic and since I didn't have any other symptoms they didn't test me. I was told it was probably a muscle ache (which I knew it wasn't), and to take Aleve. It went away after a few days, but then I lost my sense of smell for 5 days, and felt overall fatigue. I never got a Covid test (they weren't doing them back then if you didn't have a fever, cough, trouble breathing), but tested positive for antibodies in May. I had not heard of anyone else having that burning skin pain before - so thanks for letting me know. That was likely when I had Covid.

Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    bbiggs said:

And counting. 
    .04%

I think the assumption was probably that people that go to large gatherings that serve as petri dishes tend to support Trump and the GQP.  As for the crassness of implying that it's good that they'll die, well, we're post-political-correctness, now, right?
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:

And counting. 
    .04%

I think the assumption was probably that people that go to large gatherings that serve as petri dishes tend to support Trump and the GQP.  As for the crassness of implying that it's good that they'll die, well, we're post-political-correctness, now, right?

Large gatherings, as in protests?  I want to make sure I understand what goes in the safe vs. unsafe column.  The double standards and assumptions are off the charts these days.  And I would disagree we're post political correctness.  If anything, the PC is at an all time high.

For thread integrity, I hope all protestors and all bikers attending a rally are smart enough to wear a mask and remain safe.
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:

And counting. 
    .04%

Large gatherings, as in protests?  I want to make sure I understand what goes in the safe vs. unsafe column.  The double standards and assumptions are off the charts these days.  And I would disagree we're post political correctness.  If anything, the PC is at an all time high.

For thread integrity, I hope all protestors and all bikers attending a rally are smart enough to wear a mask and remain safe.
    You comparing a party to a protest?

hippiemom = goodness
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:

And counting. 
    .04%

No he's not, he's just calling out the double standard. Protesting was bad in May, until it became about BLM, now its good to protest and perfectly safe.

• OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:

And counting. 
    .04%

I know you don't like protesters and I suspect you don't think there are any problems with police today.

But we were talking about Sturgis...those are people not "living in fear."  Those people tend to be conservative...given how even this issue has become politicized.

As for protests, I'm not naive enough to believe they do not contribute to the spread, too.  It's why I didn't participate a few months ago.  They do and it's disingenuous to say they don't, even if they are outside and there are masks.  But first, we're talking about going to indoor bars and, for some reason, a SmashMouth show in constant close proximity. And second, I skipped the protests because I have that luxury. I can trust cops with my life; the most I ever fear is a traffic ticket. I can sympathize with the balance between covid and the realities of police today. Kyle Rittenhouse blew it.  He was on the way to becoming a police officer. He's the kind of person you support, unconditionally.

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:

And counting. 
    .04%

No.

mace1229 said:
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:

And counting. 
    .04%

No he's not, he's just calling out the double standard. Protesting was bad in May, until it became about BLM, now its good to protest and perfectly safe.

Protesting added risk.  A party with a bunch of bikers for shitty music and shitty beer and liquor in shitty bars....even worse and without any benefit. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:

And counting. 
    .04%

I know you don't like protesters and I suspect you don't think there are any problems with police today.

But we were talking about Sturgis...those are people not "living in fear."  Those people tend to be conservative...given how even this issue has become politicized.

As for protests, I'm not naive enough to believe they do not contribute to the spread, too.  It's why I didn't participate a few months ago.  They do and it's disingenuous to say they don't, even if they are outside and there are masks.  But first, we're talking about going to indoor bars and, for some reason, a SmashMouth show in constant close proximity. And second, I skipped the protests because I have that luxury. I can trust cops with my life; the most I ever fear is a traffic ticket. I can sympathize with the balance between covid and the realities of police today. Kyle Rittenhouse blew it.  He was on the way to becoming a police officer. He's the kind of person you support, unconditionally.

You know I don't like protestors?  Excuse me.  I won't even reply to such a disgraceful comment.  I do not like looters and vandals, but it has been well established that they are not the same in several other threads, unless you're lumping them together as one, which would again be disgraceful.

I have no idea what indoor bars you're referring to or what SmashMouth is.  I was talking about an outdoor bike rally.

Again with your asinine assumptions.  I support Kyle Rittenhouse?  You are showing just how ignorant you are with a comment like that.  I have quite a bit more I could say, but I won't to avoid being banned. 

This discussion has been closed.