Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,041
    exactly
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    and herd immunity is irrelevant if you can be reinfected. the jury is still out on that one, so suggesting herd immunity at this stage is utter lunacy. 
    It’s not irrelevant, and the two are separate concepts. The few documented cases of reinfection at this point suggest that the reinfections are much less symptomatic or asymptomatic, so quite possibly not much to worry about with reinfection. 
    i'm aware of that, but you don't become immune if you can be reinfected. so i don't see how those concepts are separate. 
    The immune system is complex and multifaceted. It doesn’t generate a forcefield that prevents viral particles from approaching you; instead, it involves a number of different processes to deal with the virus when it’s in the body, both before and after it enters the cells. I would think we would all agree that if the immune response generated is robust enough that the individual doesn’t actually become ill, then the immunity is effective. 
    of course. but you can still spread the virus even if you are asymptomatic, right?
    You’re still contagious if you’re asymptomatic with what we’ll call a “regular” infection. Not sure if we know yet if you are contagious with an asymptomatic reinfection. The viral load might be too low to be contagious. The research hasn’t been done yet, but I would not be surprised if the viral load was much lower. There might be very little replication. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    and I appreciate your confirmation that the body does not, in fact, generate a force field. I was under the incorrect assumption this entire time. 
    You’re welcome!
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    tbergs said:
    and I appreciate your confirmation that the body does not, in fact, generate a force field. I was under the incorrect assumption this entire time. 
    You should reach out to Yoda. He can probably help you find the force within you.
    I was wondering why it hurt when that bus hit me. 
    You’re not immune to buses I guess
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,450
    edited September 2020
    Kat said:
    Devo co-founder survived.

Mark Mothersbaugh nearly died from COVID-19. FaceTiming with his family kept him alive

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2020-08-31/mark-mothersbaugh-devo-covid-19-coronavirus
    Devo predicted De-evolution over 40 years ago.......sadly, it is now coming true!
  • Options
    65% herd immunity = 2 million dead Americans. Yea, lets go for it.
    Yep that’s what this administration is pushing so to get to 100% how many millions of dead Americans lol is this country really ok with this? I don’t care what party you stand with but if this country is ok with this I need to move out of it fuck the greatest country in the world! 
    But it's just the old people and people with other health issues.  So like what ..... 90% of the population at risk in the USA???? 

Ok, that's not a real number, just a guess.
    I think 90% is a very good estimate.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,947
    and herd immunity is irrelevant if you can be reinfected. the jury is still out on that one, so suggesting herd immunity at this stage is utter lunacy. 
    It’s not irrelevant, and the two are separate concepts. The few documented cases of reinfection at this point suggest that the reinfections are much less symptomatic or asymptomatic, so quite possibly not much to worry about with reinfection. 
    i'm aware of that, but you don't become immune if you can be reinfected. so i don't see how those concepts are separate. 
    The immune system is complex and multifaceted. It doesn’t generate a forcefield that prevents viral particles from approaching you; instead, it involves a number of different processes to deal with the virus when it’s in the body, both before and after it enters the cells. I would think we would all agree that if the immune response generated is robust enough that the individual doesn’t actually become ill, then the immunity is effective. 
    of course. but you can still spread the virus even if you are asymptomatic, right?
    You’re still contagious if you’re asymptomatic with what we’ll call a “regular” infection. Not sure if we know yet if you are contagious with an asymptomatic reinfection. The viral load might be too low to be contagious. The research hasn’t been done yet, but I would not be surprised if the viral load was much lower. There might be very little replication. 
    interesting. i thought we did actually know people who are asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic were in face contagious. that would be great news if that what you are saying is/comes to be true. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    i guess that also helps me understand why the messaging is so hard on "stay home if you're sick" and not if you've traveled (at least not in winnipeg; that changed a while back). 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    interesting. i thought we did actually know people who are asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic were in face contagious. that would be great news if that what you are saying is/comes to be true. 
    That’s not what I’m saying. 

We don’t know if people with asymptomatic reinfection can infect others. We do know that people with an asymptomatic initial infection can. They are different situations. 
  • Options
    That’s not what I’m saying. 

We don’t know if people with asymptomatic reinfection can infect others. We do know that people with an asymptomatic initial infection can. They are different situations. 
    gotcha. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Corticosteroids confirmed to reduce by a third the risk of death in severely ill Covid patients (those requiring intubation or other mechanical respiratory support). More modest reduction in death for those requiring oxygen but not intubation, and might make things worse for those who don’t require respiratory support. 

• Options
    just read that. i suppose a third is great news, i guess every time i read a headline like that i'm kind of subconsciously hoping for a figure much higher than that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    just read that. i suppose a third is great news, i guess every time i read a headline like that i'm kind of subconsciously hoping for a figure much higher than that. 
    35% reduction in mortality for the most seriously ill is major. 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,005
    Corticosteroids confirmed to reduce by a third the risk of death in severely ill Covid patients (those requiring intubation or other mechanical respiratory support). More modest reduction in death for those requiring oxygen but not intubation, and might make things worse for those who don’t require respiratory support. 

This is great news! Also I posted this link in the Euro thread on the Porch. Them saying late October screams to me like a political move by Trump to garner more votes. That said if it does come out that soon and is a vaccine that works I am all for it obviously. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/02/health/cdc-covid-19-vaccine-distribution/index.html
  • Options
    35% reduction in mortality for the most seriously ill is major. 
    i know. i'm just always hoping for a miracle, like 95% kinda thing. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    First Covid death linked to Sturgis reported. 

Covid cases in North Dakota have doubled since the rally, and increased quite a bit in neighbouring states. 
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    First Covid death linked to Sturgis reported. 

Covid cases in North Dakota have doubled since the rally, and increased quite a bit in neighbouring states. 

“Somebody once told me the virus was baloney. He ain’t the sharpest tool in the shed,” Colbert’s version of the song goes, as an image of Donald Trump appears on screen. “I was feeling kinda numb with a burning in the lungs. And I said I don’t think that it’s COVID. Well, the chills start coming and they don’t stop coming. Feelin’ short of breath like I just went running. Didn’t make sense to stay home, no fun. Instead went out, infected everyone.

“So much to touch, so much to lick, so what’s wrong with my little droplets? You’ll never know if you don’t test. Why do I feel pain in my chest? Hey now, we’re contagious, we’re in Sturgis, no mask. Hey now, you’re a biker, we’re all sharing one flask. This is worse than the flu. I’ll be seeing you in the I.C.U.”

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,157
    hmmm. be ready for nov 1 initial  vaccine availability?

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    hmmm. be ready for nov 1 initial  vaccine availability?

unbelievable that this POS has politicized people's lives to try to win the election. he's fucking evil. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,837
    One thing I find interesting, and this is particular to AMT is that there's very little division in this thread.  I believe one person popped in with a conspiracy theory, but for the most part, our differences here are pretty minor.

Out in the real world, there's a critical mass of people who feel the virus is a hoax, or they parrot inflated survival rates (based mostly on the fact that a lot of people who die had some other medical condition so it doesn't count), won't wear masks, etc. But here?  Everyone seems to be pretty much on the same page, moreso than on the other hot topics. I wonder why...
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    One thing I find interesting, and this is particular to AMT is that there's very little division in this thread.  I believe one person popped in with a conspiracy theory, but for the most part, our differences here are pretty minor.

Out in the real world, there's a critical mass of people who feel the virus is a hoax, or they parrot inflated survival rates (based mostly on the fact that a lot of people who die had some other medical condition so it doesn't count), won't wear masks, etc. But here?  Everyone seems to be pretty much on the same page, moreso than on the other hot topics. I wonder why...
    science. i think we're all intelligent enough to believe the scientists, regardless of any political leanings. the ones that think it's a hoax, i believe, are the fringe who would frequent breitbart and the like. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OnWis97 said:

to underscore your point, there is that 6% CDC thing that went semi-viral and is making some people believe that covid deaths are highly over-reported, due to the finding that 94% of covid deaths had a comorbidity. However, it's not that simple. This article outlines it in a very understandable way. 

https://www.vox.com/2020/9/1/21410352/cdc-6-percent-covid-19-deaths-comorbidities
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,201
    hmmmm...

"South Dakota surpassed 3,000 active COVID-19 cases Thursday while becoming the state with the highest per capita surge in the nation"

Sturgis crowd still in the house?
  • Options
    hmmmm...

"South Dakota surpassed 3,000 active COVID-19 cases Thursday while becoming the state with the highest per capita surge in the nation"

Team Trump Treason has the bikers. 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

to underscore your point, there is that 6% CDC thing that went semi-viral and is making some people believe that covid deaths are highly over-reported, due to the finding that 94% of covid deaths had a comorbidity. However, it's not that simple. This article outlines it in a very understandable way. 

https://www.vox.com/2020/9/1/21410352/cdc-6-percent-covid-19-deaths-comorbidities
    Unless you’re hit by a bus when you’re 22, almost all deaths involve comorbidities. 
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

Unless you’re hit by a bus when you’re 22, almost all deaths involve comorbidities. 
    can you give an example?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,012
    hmmmm...

And their State Fair starts today 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,304
    OnWis97 said:

science. i think we're all intelligent enough to believe the scientists, regardless of any political leanings. the ones that think it's a hoax, i believe, are the fringe who would frequent breitbart and the like. 

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

can you give an example?

The average age of death in Canada currently is just over 81 years. As we get older, even if we lead an exemplary lifestyle (and how many of us do?), we almost inevitably accumulate health issues, which are worsened by a multitude of lifestyle choices, our genetics, and bad luck.  If someone gets ill with pneumonia as a young and healthy adult their odds of recovering are very high because they usually haven't accumulated a bunch of other health issues . If someone gets ill with pneumonia as a middle aged or older adult, they may well also be dealing with diabetes, or limited respiratory function from smoking, or reduction in cardiac function due to some clogged arteries, maybe reduced kidney function. All of those things make it more likely that they will tip into respiratory failure, or have an MI, or go into multi-organ failure, and not recover, because there is less reserve to draw on.  They used to call pneumonia "the old man's friend", because it was a relatively painless way that old and already sick individuals would finally die. Determining the exact cause of death in these circumstances is tricky because it's multifactorial. So yes, no surprise at all that 94% of covid deaths would have a comorbidity, since the majority of those who died are over 65. That doesn't diminish the importance of the covid infection, since many/most of those people wouldn't have died then without it.
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

can you give an example?

The average age of death in Canada currently is just over 81 years. As we get older, even if we lead an exemplary lifestyle (and how many of us do?), we almost inevitably accumulate health issues, which are worsened by a multitude of lifestyle choices, our genetics, and bad luck.  If someone gets ill with pneumonia as a young and healthy adult their odds of recovering are very high because they usually haven't accumulated a bunch of other health issues . If someone gets ill with pneumonia as a middle aged or older adult, they may well also be dealing with diabetes, or limited respiratory function from smoking, or reduction in cardiac function due to some clogged arteries, maybe reduced kidney function. All of those things make it more likely that they will tip into respiratory failure, or have an MI, or go into multi-organ failure, and not recover, because there is less reserve to draw on.  They used to call pneumonia "the old man's friend", because it was a relatively painless way that old and already sick individuals would finally die. Determining the exact cause of death in these circumstances is tricky because it's multifactorial. So yes, no surprise at all that 94% of covid deaths would have a comorbidity, since the majority of those who died are over 65. That doesn't diminish the importance of the covid infection, since many/most of those people wouldn't have died then without it.
    ok, yes, since you are drawing from the pool that are of a certain age group, but doesn't covid cause death proportionally more in younger adults than any other virus that we've known?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.