Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    nicknyr15 said:
    Well , I definitely caught this thing. Been super careful from February. Followed all the precautions. Went for a test on Wednesday and I’m awaiting results. My employee called out Monday and just got his positive result back. There’s no way I don’t have it. We wear masks all day but it’s a 10 hour day so we do pull them down in between customers. Dry cough and low grade fever first 2 days , yesterday felt slightly worse and lost taste and smell. Woke up today feeling better but my chest is a little sore, could be from all the coughing and I still have no taste or smell. So far very mild but still scary. My wife will be next I’m sure. I’m slightly concerned about her. She’s in good health but does have asthma. The anxiety and fear of what’s to come next fucking blows. I spend my days so uncomfortable in a mask, yelling at customers without masks, constantly sanitizing my hands and my entire store. We took this very seriously and were only serving one customer at a time in February, while my mayor was still urging people to go see a movie. All it takes is one slight mistake I guess or a little bad luck. 
    Sorry to hear that. Sending good vibes to you and your wife. Keep us updated if you can.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,875
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Well , I definitely caught this thing. Been super careful from February. Followed all the precautions. Went for a test on Wednesday and I’m awaiting results. My employee called out Monday and just got his positive result back. There’s no way I don’t have it. We wear masks all day but it’s a 10 hour day so we do pull them down in between customers. Dry cough and low grade fever first 2 days , yesterday felt slightly worse and lost taste and smell. Woke up today feeling better but my chest is a little sore, could be from all the coughing and I still have no taste or smell. So far very mild but still scary. My wife will be next I’m sure. I’m slightly concerned about her. She’s in good health but does have asthma. The anxiety and fear of what’s to come next fucking blows. I spend my days so uncomfortable in a mask, yelling at customers without masks, constantly sanitizing my hands and my entire store. We took this very seriously and were only serving one customer at a time in February, while my mayor was still urging people to go see a movie. All it takes is one slight mistake I guess or a little bad luck. 
    Sorry to hear that. Sending good vibes to you and your wife. Keep us updated if you can.
    Will do. I appreciate it very much 👍🏼👍🏼
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,753
    nicknyr15 said:
    Sorry to hear this. I imagine your wife has been tested too? 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    nicknyr15 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    I don't know that I'm embarrased to be white.  But I sure get down on white people sometimes. 
    I get down on just people sometimes. Shitty people come in all shapes sizes and color. 
    Amen to that. And you and your wife take good care of yourselves and each other right now. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    She went this morning. I guess im
    a baby because I thought the test was awful. She didn’t seem to think so lol. 
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    I don't know that I'm embarrased to be white.  But I sure get down on white people sometimes. 
    I get down on just people sometimes. Shitty people come in all shapes sizes and color. 
    Amen to that. And you and your wife take good care of yourselves and each other right now. 
    🙏🏼 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    No way. I'm terrified of that up-the-nose-and-to-the-back-of-your-head test. I remember having a similar test done as a child for one reason or another and it was just awful. And that didn't seem to even go back nearly as far as I assume this does. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    No way. I'm terrified of that up-the-nose-and-to-the-back-of-your-head test. I remember having a similar test done as a child for one reason or another and it was just awful. And that didn't seem to even go back nearly as far as I assume this does. 
    Dude it sucks. Dreading when I have to take another one to make sure I’m negative. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Dude it sucks. Dreading when I have to take another one to make sure I’m negative. 
    I cringe just at the medical picture of it. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,423
    hedonist said:
    anyone consider that the asshole in chief's bungling of the virus response was in part to try to control the populace?
    I also agreed with your feelings regarding the issues that face blacks, minorities.  I to feel embarrassed to be white sometimes. 
    Wow, really?

I’ve never felt shame for who I am, especially my skin color - just as I feel no “pride” as such. I don’t judge people by the things over which they have no control; I would hope the same is afforded me. 

Otherwise, what’s the point?
    yeah, i'm not sure what this person is referring to. i don't recall ever stating i'm embarrassed to be white. 
    Here’s wha I was referring to and misinterpreted it...sorry

Quote) 
with how angry i am over this, as a privileged and safe white male canadian, i simply cannot fathom the anger i'd feel if were a black male american. i simply can't. do i agree with rioti

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    nicknyr15 said:
    That sucks dude I hope you just have mild symptoms and a quick recovery and the thing avoids your wife completely.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,040
    I had a test last week. It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected based off everything I heard. Unless they weren't doing it right. The responses vary so much I wonder if not everyone goes in as far or if some people are just sensitive to their nose. But I wouldn't hesitate to do it again and I'm a huge wuss with medical procedures. 
  • Options
    static111 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    That sucks dude I hope you just have mild symptoms and a quick recovery and the thing avoids your wife completely.
    Thanks man. Me too!! 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    nicknyr15 said:

Good luck for a mild case and speedy recovery
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    mace1229 said:
    I had a test last week. It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected based off everything I heard. Unless they weren't doing it right. The responses vary so much I wonder if not everyone goes in as far or if some people are just sensitive to their nose. But I wouldn't hesitate to do it again and I'm a huge wuss with medical procedures. 

There's more than one way to test. You might have just gotten the nasal swab.

For initial diagnostic testing for SARS-CoV-2, CDC recommends collecting and testing an upper respiratory specimen. The following are acceptable specimens:

• A nasopharyngeal (NP) specimen collected by a healthcare provider; or
    • An oropharyngeal (OP) specimen collected by a healthcare provider; or
    • A nasal mid-turbinate swab collected by a healthcare provider or by a supervised onsite self-collection (using a flocked tapered swab); or
    • An anterior nares (nasal swab) specimen collected by a healthcare provider or by home or supervised onsite self-collection (using a flocked or spun polyester swab); or
    • Nasopharyngeal wash/aspirate or nasal wash/aspirate (NW) specimen collected by a healthcare provider.
    Edit: I think they are also trialing saliva samples
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

Good luck for a mild case and speedy recovery
    Thank you very much. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,040
    mace1229 said:

For initial diagnostic testing for SARS-CoV-2, CDC recommends collecting and testing an upper respiratory specimen. The following are acceptable specimens:

• A nasal mid-turbinate swab collected by a healthcare provider or by a supervised onsite self-collection (using a flocked tapered swab); or
    • An anterior nares (nasal swab) specimen collected by a healthcare provider or by home or supervised onsite self-collection (using a flocked or spun polyester swab); or
    • Nasopharyngeal wash/aspirate or nasal wash/aspirate (NW) specimen collected by a healthcare provider.
    Thanks for sharing. That makes sense. I knew there was more than one way, but I thought all nose swabs were the same. Whatever mine was, they should do that. They just circled a swab around my nose for about 5 seconds. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,276
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    My wife had that test a couple weeks back (went in for another reason, her Dr. said, "might as well test while you're here") and she said it was awful as well.

Hope for the best for you nd your wife. Stay well.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Thanks for sharing. That makes sense. I knew there was more than one way, but I thought all nose swabs were the same. Whatever mine was, they should do that. They just circled a swab around my nose for about 5 seconds. 

I don't have time at work today to look up the data comparing the different methods but will try to do that at some point. 
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    My wife had that test a couple weeks back (went in for another reason, her Dr. said, "might as well test while you're here") and she said it was awful as well.

Hope for the best for you nd your wife. Stay well.
    Thanks 👍🏼👍🏼
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,707
    nicknyr15 said:
    Best of luck to you and your wife to beat this. As for your anxiety and if it helps, I had friends who contracted it from her work. He lost his sense of smell first, then low grade fever, then a slight temp and one day of total exhaustion, wiped out and in bed. 5 days of feeling "something." She then got it, lost her sense of smell, low grade fever and the total exhaustion but because she has asthma, she had one night where she felt her breathing was constricted. They both stayed home, had called their primary doctors and were told if the fever really spikes or you have trouble breathing, go to the ER. They didn't need to and they're fine. He still says that every now and then he feels a weird constricted sensation around his lungs when he takes a deep breath. They're both in their 50s but in excellent health, otherwise.

Again, wish the best for you and don't be afraid to err on the side of caution and go to the ER if your symptoms get worse and you can't control them. Be well.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Best of luck to you and your wife to beat this. As for your anxiety and if it helps, I had friends who contracted it from her work. He lost his sense of smell first, then low grade fever, then a slight temp and one day of total exhaustion, wiped out and in bed. 5 days of feeling "something." She then got it, lost her sense of smell, low grade fever and the total exhaustion but because she has asthma, she had one night where she felt her breathing was constricted. They both stayed home, had called their primary doctors and were told if the fever really spikes or you have trouble breathing, go to the ER. They didn't need to and they're fine. He still says that every now and then he feels a weird constricted sensation around his lungs when he takes a deep breath. They're both in their 50s but in excellent health, otherwise.

Again, wish the best for you and don't be afraid to err on the side of caution and go to the ER if your symptoms get worse and you can't control them. Be well.
    Thanks Halifax. It does help a lot. I appreciate your post. And I appreciate everyone here for the well wishes. 
  • Options
    I forgot to mention I did Also experience body aches the first two days. Specifically in my mid to lower back. 
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    @nicknyr15 . . . Wishing you the best.

To address one of your points, that all it takes is one moment off guard. We can't beat ourselves up over those moments. The truth is that none of this heightened risk avoidance is sustainable over a long period of time. I'm still convinced the majority of us will eventually get this illness before the vaccine arrives. We need to prepare for that, emotionally, mentally, physically. I'm still hoarding chicken soup, for example, for the day when it happens to me . . .

. . . which could be sooner than I realize. Just learned at a faculty meeting today that a parent who came to Tuesday's computer pick up/advisory orientation lied on her symptom/exposure screening form. Public health notified us the day after she was in the building that she tested positive. I am fortunate that my orientation day was Wednesday and I never had contact, but I certainly wonder how many parents lied. Another reason why going back into a school building just isn't going to work for me, for a long while.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Damn nasal swabs!  I mean, I'm thankful they're being performed, but having had it three times in the last couple months and more to follow? Nooooo!

The good part is once it's over, it's over...and fairly quickly too.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,894
    nicknyr15 said:
    sorry to hear that dude. well wishes to you and your wife. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    sorry to hear that dude. well wishes to you and your wife. 
    Thanks man 👍🏼 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,957
    Speedy recovery Nicky!!!!! I read this morning that vitamin B helps.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,167
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Currently more than 100 people in seven states have tested positive after attending the Sturgis motorcycle rally. 

And counting. 
    .04%

As you choose to ignore the important number...seven...proving the essential facts of living in a pandemic for half a year have evaded you. 

I’m sure you realize your CFR is impossible to exist in this reality of such a highly contagious disease.

Even if your rate isn’t underestimated by a factor of a thousand it’s a good thing that people who attended eventually  fall victim to this disease they choose to ignore as they are unlikely to vote Biden/Harris and will allow Darwin’s natural selection to do its job efficiently.
    Wait...I just want to make sure I have this straight.  So if you ride a motorcycle you don't vote Biden/Harris?  Is that how it goes?  Just checking. 

I think the assumption was probably that people that go to large gatherings that serve as petri dishes tend to support Trump and the GQP.  As for the crassness of implying that it's good that they'll die, well, we're post-political-correctness, now, right?

Large gatherings, as in protests?  I want to make sure I understand what goes in the safe vs. unsafe column.  The double standards and assumptions are off the charts these days.  And I would disagree we're post political correctness.  If anything, the PC is at an all time high.

For thread integrity, I hope all protestors and all bikers attending a rally are smart enough to wear a mask and remain safe.
    I know you don't like protesters and I suspect you don't think there are any problems with police today.

But we were talking about Sturgis...those are people not "living in fear."  Those people tend to be conservative...given how even this issue has become politicized.

As for protests, I'm not naive enough to believe they do not contribute to the spread, too.  It's why I didn't participate a few months ago.  They do and it's disingenuous to say they don't, even if they are outside and there are masks.  But first, we're talking about going to indoor bars and, for some reason, a SmashMouth show in constant close proximity. And second, I skipped the protests because I have that luxury. I can trust cops with my life; the most I ever fear is a traffic ticket. I can sympathize with the balance between covid and the realities of police today. Kyle Rittenhouse blew it.  He was on the way to becoming a police officer. He's the kind of person you support, unconditionally.

You know I don't like protestors?  Excuse me.  I won't even reply to such a disgraceful comment.  I do not like looters and vandals, but it has been well established that they are not the same in several other threads, unless you're lumping them together as one, which would again be disgraceful.

I have no idea what indoor bars you're referring to or what SmashMouth is.  I was talking about an outdoor bike rally.

Again with your asinine assumptions.  I support Kyle Rittenhouse?  You are showing just how ignorant you are with a comment like that.  I have quite a bit more I could say, but I won't to avoid being banned. 

If you are talking about Sturgis you surely are not talking about an oudoor bike rally.  That's like saying you are talking about a Pearl Jam concert by mentioning only the long merch lines.  It's a big part of it...but so much more!
    What gets selected to jump down someone's throat about is comical.  You're all over me about a bike rally being indoor/outdoor.  Zero mention over the poster that said those attending the rally would be better off dead because they don't share his political beliefs.  I'm paraphrasing in case you're going to nitpick those words too.  Crazy what this has become.  If that's what politics look like in 2020 then it's time for me to bow out.

Jump down your throat?  Just making sure you know what all Sturgis entails as it is pertinent to the conversation regarding Covid exposure.  Even added a joke...jump down your throat.  So I guess you just want to say whatever you want and not have people comment?
    No.  Everyone has the right to comment as they wish on a public forum like this.  I will say what I please as well.  I would never expect to have my comments not commented on, so feel free.  I guess it got lost in translation because I don't know shit about the Sturgis bike rally.  Didn't spend the time to look it up.  I think bike rally and I think outdoors on a bike (go figure); not congregating indoors.

The Sturgis rally normally draws half a million people, in a very small town. People attending that rally during a pandemic seem to care very little about science, their health or the danger they pose to others. So why should I care about their health?

i, like many others, have given up what I love to do, PJ shows, Tool, etc. plus ballgames, and on. For those going to a massive bike rally, or a political rally in an arena, or on the White House lawn, screw them. 

this is in no way a victimless crime. In a week or so my state is essentially forcing our kids to go back to school (NY has basically taken away any realistic remote schooling option*, thanks cuomo), where they could be forced to breathe the same air as families members of these covidiots. 

plus the “good thing” comment of mine is hyperbole.

*its been converted to a home schooling program (without going on in detail)
This discussion has been closed.