Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,155

MLB should be canceled.

In what universe is it allowable to send people (Ballplayers) from a low infection state to a high one? Get people infected, then secretly fly the people back to the low infection state, potentially  bringing the virus with them.

At the very least cuomo should shut down MLB in NY. But you know,if you are a elitist organization like baseball, you get special rules common folk don’t.

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,831

MLB should be canceled.

In what universe is it allowable to send people (Ballplayers) from a low infection state to a high one? Get people infected, then secretly fly the people back to the low infection state, potentially  bringing the virus with them.

At the very least cuomo should shut down MLB in NY. But you know,if you are a elitist organization like baseball, you get special rules common folk don’t.

Protests also get that special treatment. 
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Fans crowd into an indoor concert in experiment on how to return to normality

Researchers in the German city of Leipzig staged a 1,500-person experimental indoor concert on Saturday to better understand how Covid-19 spreads at big, busy events, and how to prevent it.

At the gig, which featured a live performance from musician Tim Bendzko, fans were given respiratory face masks, fluorescent hand gel and electronic "contact trackers" -- small transmitters that determine the contact rates and contact distances of the individual experiment participants.

Using data from the contact trackers, scientists from The University of Halle will monitor the number "critical contacts" had by each participant during specific times and locations, while the residue left by fluorescent hand gel will identify frequently touched surfaces. Researchers hope to use the data to find ways to bring big events, including sports, back safely.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/germany-coronavirus-tim-bendzko-concert-wellness-scn-grm-intl/index.html

Science is cool.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,668
    dignin said:

Fans crowd into an indoor concert in experiment on how to return to normality

Researchers in the German city of Leipzig staged a 1,500-person experimental indoor concert on Saturday to better understand how Covid-19 spreads at big, busy events, and how to prevent it.

At the gig, which featured a live performance from musician Tim Bendzko, fans were given respiratory face masks, fluorescent hand gel and electronic "contact trackers" -- small transmitters that determine the contact rates and contact distances of the individual experiment participants.

Using data from the contact trackers, scientists from The University of Halle will monitor the number "critical contacts" had by each participant during specific times and locations, while the residue left by fluorescent hand gel will identify frequently touched surfaces. Researchers hope to use the data to find ways to bring big events, including sports, back safely.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/germany-coronavirus-tim-bendzko-concert-wellness-scn-grm-intl/index.html

Science is cool.
    They’re just mamby pansies trying to jack up ticket prices. Open up already. If the NFL doesn’t play, it’s because they’re part of the Deep State. WWG1WGA.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    nicknyr15 said:

MLB should be canceled.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/22/us/hamptons-parties-coronavirus-tests-trnd/index.html
    What a great country ha the ultra rich can get rapid testing done before you party up in the Hampton’s here on Long Island! That’s what’s great about this nation $$$$$ can buy you anything you so desire! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

MLB should be canceled.

Do you believe the black community shouldn’t march in protest of police brutality? Like in Louisiana last night ? 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

MLB should be canceled.

Do you believe the black community shouldn’t march in protest of police brutality? Like in Louisiana last night ? 
    Protest all you want but it’s still a large gathering the virus doesn’t care about. 
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    nicknyr15 said:

MLB should be canceled.

Protest all you want but it’s still a large gathering the virus doesn’t care about. 
    Some people are okay with the risks when standing up for human rights and democracy. Which by the evidence I've seen showed the risk to be low.

And I guess some people are okay with other people taking the risk so they can watch baseball.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,135
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:

MLB should be canceled.

Some people are okay with the risks when standing up for human rights and democracy. Which by the evidence I've seen showed the risk to be low.

And I guess some people are okay with other people taking the risk so they can watch baseball.
    Yeah, still the fact that it was ignored is a problem. The virus is out there and doesn’t care the activity. But man would be a tough call for some... risk taking no matter the choice.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,155
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:

MLB should be canceled.

NY does not require a 14 day quarantine after attending a protest. It does require one after traveling to a high infection state like the Mets did, who brought in more virus from FL. The Mets will not be required to isolate for a full 14 days, nor will any other team entering the state. 

That was the “preferential treatment “ I was protesting ;)
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

MLB should be canceled.

Don’t turn this into a race thing. I believe the virus doesn’t know the difference between people protesting against police brutality, people protesting to go to work, or any other large gatherings like weddings, funerals etc.... 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,563

• Options
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:

MLB should be canceled.

Risks mean nothing to a virus. This is why we fail in the US. Middle America says F off it’s my right to not be wearing a mask, and the other side says F off it’s my right to protest. Epic fail. Viruses don’t care what your rights are.
  • Options
    I don’t walk in a black man’s shoes but I believe it has come to a point where they’re willing to risk it all to stand up to injustices that happen every damn day! I don’t blame them at all! 
  • Options
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:

MLB should be canceled.

Risks mean nothing to a virus. This is why we fail in the US. Middle America says F off it’s my right to not be wearing a mask, and the other side says F off it’s my right to protest. Epic fail. Viruses don’t care what your rights are.
    Black folks are dying from the virus & police brutality simultaneously they need to protest every day! 
  • Options
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:

MLB should be canceled.

Black folks are dying from the virus & police brutality simultaneously they need to protest every day! 
    Maybe not gathering in large crowds will help with the virus. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:

MLB should be canceled.

Sounds good. So according to this rational, this pandemic that is gonna kill us all if we don’t quarantine, social distance, wear masks non stop, avoid voting in person and so on and so on can be put on hold so we can protest. 
  • Options
    I don’t walk in a black man’s shoes but I believe it has come to a point where they’re willing to risk it all to stand up to injustices that happen every damn day! I don’t blame them at all! 
    Risk it all includes you. It’s not just them, all means all. Virus doesn’t care, but you’re ok with that I guess.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,668
    Oops, seems they're unsure of the efficacy of what their spouting or they forgot to proofread their email blast. Or, we really don't know but like shining a light in your body, drinking bleach or it'll go away like things go away, maybe even magically or like a miracle? 

Plasma Therapy a Promising Step in Fight Against Coronavirus

“On Sunday, President Trump announced the Food and Drug Administration is issuing an emergency use authorization for (EUA) convalescent plasma in hospitalized patients, another step forward in the fight against COVID-19,” Dr. Nicole Saphier writes for Fox News.

“It may not be the magic ticket to end the pandemic, but can it save lives if sufficient quantities of IgG [antibodies] are given early enough? Data from over 30,000 people in the study suggest so. And because of that, every American should be rejoicing.”

Click here to read more. 

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    I think it's disingenuous to suggest that protesting doesn't hasten the spread.  Yeah, it's all outside...yeah mask use was, well, moderate to perhaps even high.  And this does compare well with, say, Sturgis, where indoor bars thrived and I'm guessing mask usage was somewhere in the single-digits.  But the sheer numbers of people...and you can't say with a straight face that "they were socially-distanced."

That all said, the systematic killing of blacks by police came to a head that day...even my white-nationalist facebook friends from high school never suggested that the killing was OK.  And I understand why people don't just say "well, we can't protest because of COVID so either we should get to writing letters to the editor or just accept this."  Hell, I chose not to participate because of COVID...but maybe that's a privilege my white ass had.

Again, I don't buy the assertion some are making that protesting doesn't add to the spread.  That said, "they get to protest and I can't even to the bars..." has some amazing optics.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:

MLB should be canceled.

Sounds good. So according to this rational, this pandemic that is gonna kill us all if we don’t quarantine, social distance, wear masks non stop, avoid voting in person and so on and so on can be put on hold so we can protest. 
    Yep I’m good they have to protest the killings that seem to happen every damn day like I’ve stated I don’t walk in a black man’s shoes! Do you? 

• Options
    Risk it all includes you. It’s not just them, all means all. Virus doesn’t care, but you’re ok with that I guess.
    Yep I’m good! 
  • Options
    Yep I’m good! 
    Ok. You can stop blaming our lack of leadership on our inability to handle this crisis then. 
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    Yep I’m good! 
    Ok. You can stop blaming our lack of leadership on our inability to handle this crisis then. 
    lack of leadership is exactly why we are in this situation. if trump had come out and said we have to have a mask mandate people would have listened to him. instead he said we "have 15 cases, soon to be zero cases" and then he called it a "democrat hoax". i do not think i need to give you a summary of the different postiion changes the last 5 months. had trump been decisive, we would not be where we are today.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Yep I’m good! 
    lack of leadership is exactly why we are in this situation. if trump had come out and said we have to have a mask mandate people would have listened to him. instead he said we "have 15 cases, soon to be zero cases" and then he called it a "democrat hoax". i do not think i need to give you a summary of the different postiion changes the last 5 months. had trump been decisive, we would not be where we are today.
    Yep. 5 months ago I’d blame Trump. We’re on our own now and we don’t need him to tell us to wear a mask or social distance. We get it, we know it. Some don’t wear masks, some protest shoulder to shoulder....it’s all a problem.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    Yep I’m good! 
    Yep. 5 months ago I’d blame Trump. We’re on our own now and we don’t need him to tell us to wear a mask or social distance. We get it, we know it. Some don’t wear masks, some protest shoulder to shoulder....it’s all a problem.
    if it were not for some governors we would be in deeper trouble than we are now.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,517

Yep I’m good! 
    if it were not for some governors we would be in deeper trouble than we are now.

Yup.

And along those same lines, imagine how things in Florida and Texas & other red states might look if those governors took this seriously when they had a chance instead of ignoring the pandemic because it pleased their demagogue Trump?

But sure, let's blame this on protests against police brutality and some people not wearing masks.

• Options
    Yep I’m good! 
    Not disagreeing with that at all. We all know what to do now, not doing it is just ignorance at this point. Nothing more to say.
  • Options

Yep I’m good! 

Yup.

And along those same lines, imagine how things in Florida and Texas & other red states might look if those governors took this seriously when they had a chance instead of ignoring the pandemic because it pleased their demagogue Trump?

But sure, let's blame this on protests against police brutality and some people not wearing masks.

Or blame politicians from 5 months ago. Either way we are fucked in the USA. The problem is here, we know what to do but choose not to regardless of past foolishness from our elected leaders.
This discussion has been closed.