Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    For anyone curious what schools safely reopening looks like, here is a glimpse.
    First, we are just one of a few districts not going remote in a state that does not meet the recommendation for opening.
    Teachers were given 1 jar of 75 Clorox wipes and told to wipe down every desk between every period. When asked when we get more wipes we are told we are unsure when or even if more wipes will be available.
    When asked if we can purchase or make our own disinfectant spray and use we were told no. Not only told no, but we were told if we deviate from the district protocol and there is an outbreak we will be blamed.
    But, I don’t even have enough wipes to last the first day of school without reusing them. If I use 1 wipe for 4 desks that will last me 3 days. If I use 1 wipe for 7 desks that will last me the first week. If I use anything other than the district supplied wipes and kids get sick, I will be liable. 
    So excited for this year.....
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Wow, Mace. That sounds bad. Are you at least able to use your own products for your own desk and supplies? Take care of yourself even if you aren't allowed to take proper care of the kids in your class.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    There are a lot of regulations about cleaning products at schools everywhere, due to asthma issues and OSHA, etc -- and again, my obsession with school ventilation rises to the surface.

Last March before we dismissed but things were starting to get paranoid, I brought in a bottle of Clorox Clean bleach spray because that's all the stores had left; no more wipes and asking the school to supply them was a non-starter. So I got in trouble for cleaning my students' desks after school with bleach  One spray per desk and the entire front side of the first floor hallway stank. They followed their nose and found me -- hahaha.

I really feel for you, Mace. Take care of yourself. I will hope you stay healthy until they send you home in a couple weeks anyway.  It's not going to last, remember that. Just survive long enough for the fools to realize they were mistaken.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,455
    Man that is terrible stay safe!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Due to the increased spread of infection in Denmark in recent weeks, the country is now facing stricter restrictions again.
    - We are doing this now because the infection is rising in Denmark, at the same time as social activity is also increasing, says Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen (S) at a press conference.
    Among other things, requirements for facemasks are introduced in public transport at all locations at all times of the day. The requirement enters into force on 22 August. This is so that everyone has time to buy facemasks
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,638
    Due to the increased spread of infection in Denmark in recent weeks, the country is now facing stricter restrictions again.
    - We are doing this now because the infection is rising in Denmark, at the same time as social activity is also increasing, says Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen (S) at a press conference.
    Among other things, requirements for facemasks are introduced in public transport at all locations at all times of the day. The requirement enters into force on 22 August. This is so that everyone has time to buy facemasks
    What the hell is wrong these countries that have waited so long to make BASIC adjustments?
  • Options
    What the hell is wrong these countries that have waited so long to make BASIC adjustments?
    We are vikings up here. Facemasks do not work with beards.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,455
    https://twitter.com/nbcnews/status/1295139536708800513?s=21
    Still no plan to combat the virus nationally! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590
    https://twitter.com/nbcnews/status/1295139536708800513?s=21
    Still no plan to combat the virus nationally! 
    Why should there be?
    Its just a hoax
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,155
    mace1229 said:
    For anyone curious what schools safely reopening looks like, here is a glimpse.
    First, we are just one of a few districts not going remote in a state that does not meet the recommendation for opening.
    Teachers were given 1 jar of 75 Clorox wipes and told to wipe down every desk between every period. When asked when we get more wipes we are told we are unsure when or even if more wipes will be available.
    When asked if we can purchase or make our own disinfectant spray and use we were told no. Not only told no, but we were told if we deviate from the district protocol and there is an outbreak we will be blamed.
    But, I don’t even have enough wipes to last the first day of school without reusing them. If I use 1 wipe for 4 desks that will last me 3 days. If I use 1 wipe for 7 desks that will last me the first week. If I use anything other than the district supplied wipes and kids get sick, I will be liable. 
    So excited for this year.....
    Awful. I agree with the school having a protocol and supplying the only cleaner to be used (you can’t have people just using whatever)... but then you gotta actually supply it!!!!! 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,547
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1236898?__twitter_impression=true&s=03

Georgia's Cherokee County closes third high school for COVID-19 concerns

Pending tests could "significantly" add to the 25 cases and 500 people in quarantine at Creekview High, the school district says.

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,547

Editorial: We all saw this coming   

Full story:  https://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2020/08/covid-clusters-edit-0816

clusterfuck (n) : a complex and utterly disordered and mismanaged situation

We’re only a week into the semester and four COVID-19 clusters have already surfaced on and around campus. 

Two COVID-19 clusters — one at Granville Towers and one at Ehringhaus Residence Hall — were reported Friday. On Saturday, UNC confirmed reports of a third cluster at the Sigma Nu fraternity house, and a fourth, at Hinton James Residence Hall, was reported Sunday.

In the messages, UNC clarified that a “cluster” is five or more cases deemed "close proximity in location," as defined by the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services. 

We all saw this coming. In his fall semester welcome message, Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz wrote, “As always, remember that it is our shared responsibility to keep each other safe. Every person you walk by on campus will be counting on you to diligently work to prevent the spread of the virus.”

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,090
    anyone think that if an effective vaccine doesn't come to fruition that this just becomes part of our lives? the media stops reporting the daily infection rate and death toll, and we just accept it as another virus (like the flu) that kills us?

i don't know if we can effectively flatten the curve permanently like was done in 1919. too many people, too much global travel. if there's no vaccine, that's it. 

i guess now we all know what it's like to be a 90 year old during flu season. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    anyone think that if an effective vaccine doesn't come to fruition that this just becomes part of our lives? the media stops reporting the daily infection rate and death toll, and we just accept it as another virus (like the flu) that kills us?

i don't know if we can effectively flatten the curve permanently like was done in 1919. too many people, too much global travel. if there's no vaccine, that's it. 

Or young(ish) with a fucked immune system.

We're all vulnerable in some way.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,978
    NVM
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Or young(ish) with a fucked immune system.

We're all vulnerable in some way.
    well, yeah, i wasn't trying to exclude anyone (my daughter is also immune-compromised), just painting a picture. i could have listed any number of vulnerables. i just chose the most obvious one (in my eyes).
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,396
    edited August 2020

That's sort of how I feel.   So much focus on the deaths and which countries are "winning" the death count.  Without a vaccine the only way to really contain the thing is people isolate and stay away from each other.   That doesn't really seem like a long term solution.  I too wonder what happens if a Vaccine doesn't show up?  Do we isolate forever, or do we move on?    People act like it's over, but the low infection/death rates only help if it's biding time to a vaccine.  If not, the majority of you country is a tinderbox waiting to light up.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    Zod said:

That's sort of how I feel.   So much focus on the deaths and which countries are "winning" the death count.  Without a vaccine the only way to really contain the thing is people isolate and stay away from each other.   That doesn't really seem like a long term solution.  I too wonder what happens if a Vaccine doesn't show up?  Do we isolate forever, or do we move on?    People act like it's over, but the low infection/death rates only help if it's biding time to a vaccine.  If not, the majority of you country is a tinderbox waiting to light up.
    if we were an intelligent and enlightened species, we could globally decide,with the right leadership, to quarantine for maximum of two months and be done with it. the virus dies (unfortunately) with the dead. all health care personnel are quarantined during this period as well, and the military is mobilized to deliver food and supplies, and any country that doesn't comply: no travel or trade until they do. 

but no. we need to go to fucking bars and spring break because FREEDOM and this thing lasts for years with an unimaginable death toll. 

if only the virus only infected the selfish. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cutz said:

Full story:  https://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2020/08/covid-clusters-edit-0816

We’re only a week into the semester and four COVID-19 clusters have already surfaced on and around campus. 

Two COVID-19 clusters — one at Granville Towers and one at Ehringhaus Residence Hall — were reported Friday. On Saturday, UNC confirmed reports of a third cluster at the Sigma Nu fraternity house, and a fourth, at Hinton James Residence Hall, was reported Sunday.

In the messages, UNC clarified that a “cluster” is five or more cases deemed "close proximity in location," as defined by the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services. 

We all saw this coming. In his fall semester welcome message, Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz wrote, “As always, remember that it is our shared responsibility to keep each other safe. Every person you walk by on campus will be counting on you to diligently work to prevent the spread of the virus.”

Okay, so now I have to question my knowledge of the English language. Wouldn’t clusterfuck be an adjective, not a noun? I looked it up and  it’s listed as a noun as you stated. But why? It’s describing something.
    That party was a total clusterfuck. How is that not an adjective?
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522
    Direct object noun
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,396
    Zod said:

if we were an intelligent and enlightened species, we could globally decide,with the right leadership, to quarantine for maximum of two months and be done with it. the virus dies (unfortunately) with the dead. all health care personnel are quarantined during this period as well, and the military is mobilized to deliver food and supplies, and any country that doesn't comply: no travel or trade until they do. 

but no. we need to go to fucking bars and spring break because FREEDOM and this thing lasts for years with an unimaginable death toll. 

if only the virus only infected the selfish. 
    I'm not even sure that would work.  It sounds simple, but the logistics would be challenging.   Plus you'd have countries that weren't as successful as others, eventually it'd start spreading again.   I think India at one point tried a big lockdown like that, but keeping it's population immobile turned out to be almost impossible.

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,272
    i like to use clusterfuck as a verb.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839

I like a good grammar discussion. And that it's centered around "clusterfuck" is perfect for this board... 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839

I like a good grammar discussion. And that it's centered around "clusterfuck" is perfect for this board... 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    mace1229 said:
    cutz said:

Okay, so now I have to question my knowledge of the English language. Wouldn’t clusterfuck be an adjective, not a noun? I looked it up and  it’s listed as a noun as you stated. But why? It’s describing something.
    That party was a total clusterfuck. How is that not an adjective?
    Predicate noun, to be exact. The verb "to be" (in this case "was") takes a subjective pronoun or a noun after it. That's why when someone asks for me on the phone (Is X there?), I say "This is she" and not "this is her." 

The word "a" -- the article -- always precedes a noun. The word "total" would be the adjective describing the thing. 
    Post edited by what dreams on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    The adjective form of clusterfuck would be clusterfuckY.  For example, that was totally clusterfuckY.  The "y" is the adjective suffix. Notice there is no longer the word "a" preceding the phrase, because I'm now using it as an adjective.
    Post edited by what dreams on
  • Options

I have no plans to ever accept this as just another virus. I know that early on, like in March, when the reports of heart and other organ damage were beginning to be reported, I was skeptical about how widespread that would come to be. I even took shit about it here, and I'm okay with saying I was wrong.  The writing now is pretty clearly written on the wall that if it doesn't kill you, it will make you weaker.  I'm not about to go into my old age with some CoVid-wrecked insides. The rest of the world can do what it wants. My behaviors are changed for the long haul. 
  • Options
    And I can't wait to start teaching my online grammar lessons to my students!! Let the clusterfuck begin!  Two more weeks for me, mace. How have your first days been going with your kiddos? Didn't you start yesterday?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    The adjective form of clusterfuck would be clusterfuckY.  For example, that was totally clusterfuckY.  The "y" is the adjective suffix. Notice there is no longer the word "a" preceding the phrase, because I'm now using it as an adjective.
    The English language is one big clusterfuck (predicate noun). It shouldn’t be so clusterfucky   (adjective).
    Is that right?
This discussion has been closed.