The coronavirus

Comments

• dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    bbiggs said:
    At this point we are in the hands of the scientists who are working on vaccines because our inept administration & president have failed miserably and simply don’t give a hoot how many Americans die! 
    Trump is an inept POS but I’m at the point that I think the US failure with this is on the American people. Very few people want to be inconvenienced with a mask. I see it everywhere. And I don’t just see it out of Republicans. Everyone is too cool to wear one.  Trump could have shouted from the rooftops to wear masks from day 1 and people still wouldn’t do it. My opinion.  
    Masks are only a part of the problem. He has failed in almost every other way which has been well documented in this thread.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,173
    It’s hot as hell today maybe the virus will disappear..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,946
    dignin said:
    bbiggs said:
    At this point we are in the hands of the scientists who are working on vaccines because our inept administration & president have failed miserably and simply don’t give a hoot how many Americans die! 
    Trump is an inept POS but I’m at the point that I think the US failure with this is on the American people. Very few people want to be inconvenienced with a mask. I see it everywhere. And I don’t just see it out of Republicans. Everyone is too cool to wear one.  Trump could have shouted from the rooftops to wear masks from day 1 and people still wouldn’t do it. My opinion.  
    Masks are only a part of the problem. He has failed in almost every other way which has been well documented in this thread.
    Well understood. It has also been stated that mask usage alone is likely THE most important tool in this fight. 

• OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    bbiggs said:
    dignin said:
    bbiggs said:
    Well understood. It has also been stated that mask usage alone is likely THE most important tool in this fight. 

It’s some of both. A lot of people take their cues from Trump.  But this is also probably the most individualistic society on earth.  We don’t like inconveniences and we look out for #1.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    bbiggs said:
    dignin said:
    bbiggs said:

I agree, at this point, with closing back down being very unlikely, masks our are best last option.

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    bbiggs said:
    At my work place a coworker's mother made him a Red Sox mask. He immediately thought of me, brought it to work and gave it to me. It made my night, of the Boston teams the Sox are number one.  I'm going to get some ingredients to make some Red Lobster biscuits and I'll be proudly wearing it shortly.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,037
    bbiggs said:
    You’re entitled to your opinion, and I don’t disagree that the American public deserves some of the blame, but how anyone could let trump and his administration off the hook for their disastrously inept response to this crisis is something I just can’t wrap my brain around. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    Our country is so divided I wonder if libs would have worn masks if Trump advocated for them in the beginning.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    bbiggs said:
    You’re entitled to your opinion, and I don’t disagree that the American public deserves some of the blame, but how anyone could let trump and his administration off the hook for their disastrously inept response to this crisis is something I just can’t wrap my brain around. 
    I should re-phrase. I do not let Trump or his administration off the hook by any means. Epic failure. I just believe had he handled the messaging flawlessly, the American people would still wave a middle finger to mask wearing. For that reason, I place a lot of the blame on the public’s shoulders. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    Our country is so divided I wonder if libs would have worn masks if Trump advocated for them in the beginning.  
    Good point and fair question. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,520
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Based on what, science fiction?

The best comparison I could recall straight away would be the Afghan and Iraq wars.

Enough Dems fell in line both times.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    Article from the NYT describes a new large study from South Korea suggesting that children under ten spread covid about half as efficiently as adults, but children 11 to 19 spread even more than adults. Not a perfect data set and methodology but pretty good. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/18/health/coronavirus-children-schools.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,037
    Asking why America, the richest country in the world, doesn’t have a better national testing program 4+ months & 140K deaths into this pandemic is also a fair question. 

bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

The best comparison I could recall straight away would be the Afghan and Iraq wars.

Based on the fact that the left despises Trump so much that even if he made the correct recommendation to wear masks, the validity and reasoning of Trump’s message would likely be questioned. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,520
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    I should re-phrase. I do not let Trump or his administration off the hook by any means. Epic failure. I just believe had he handled the messaging flawlessly, the American people would still wave a middle finger to mask wearing. For that reason, I place a lot of the blame on the public’s shoulders. 

But you let him "off the hook" again.

We dont need everyone to wear masks. If we were able to get over 60% it's very possible the reinfection rate would drop under 1 and the virus would go away.

If strong centralized leadership can not help achieve that in a crisis we should not bother having a potus 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/18/havens-dr-atul-gawande-coronavirus-spread-can-be-slowed-if-60percent-of-people-wear-masks.html
    ^ Okay. If you say so. 
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I started wearing a mask before any politician said to do so because MY OWN DOCTOR told me to. I happened to have had a video appointment in mid-March for a routine medication refill and HE told me to wear a mask when Fauci and CDC and Birx and Pence and the Moron in Chief were telling us they were not protective. Common freaking sense should have told anyone to wear one. 
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Based on the fact that the left despises Trump so much that even if he made the correct recommendation to wear masks, the validity and reasoning of Trump’s message would likely be questioned. 
    Nah, that’s just not reasonable. The left has been attempting  to go with science on this one, like with most things. On the rare occasions that Trump has made accurate or even reasonable statements about things like potential vaccines or wanting to ramp up testing capacity, that didn’t make the left suddenly anti-vax or anti-testing. 
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,295
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I started wearing a mask before any politician said to do so because MY OWN DOCTOR told me to. I happened to have had a video appointment in mid-March for a routine medication refill and HE told me to wear a mask when Fauci and CDC and Birx and Pence and the Moron in Chief were telling us they were not protective. Common freaking sense should have told anyone to wear one. 
    Exactly. I’ve been listening to the experts and following the science since the beginning. And will continue to do so.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,173
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Nah not for a minute do I think that , I take my cues from health professionals! Have you seen the deplorables and how they act if the baffoon tells them the sky is orange and the sun blue they’d believe him! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    The country is more divided than at any point in my lifetime. This president is despised, by many, more than any president in my lifetime. The ones that despise him believe that everything he says is a lie (could be true). So if he advises to do something like wear a mask, why would they believe him? Let’s remember, folks, the initial messaging from Fauci, CDC and WHO was that masks did nothing.  So if trump said masks will save lives at that time, you think the left would have listened? 
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

You got this cause and effect thing backwards. The left despises Trump BECAUSE he makes the wrong recommendations. The hatred is a RESULT OF his psychopathology.  
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    bbiggs said:
    The country is more divided than at any point in my lifetime. This president is despised, by many, more than any president in my lifetime. The ones that despise him believe that everything he says is a lie (could be true). So if he advises to do something like wear a mask, why would they believe him? Let’s remember, folks, the initial messaging from Fauci, CDC and WHO was that masks did nothing.  So if trump said masks will save lives at that time, you think the left would have listened? 
    I do not think the left would have listened.  This country is as divided as ever.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    bbiggs said:
    What is the point about banging on about “the initial messaging”? That was March for FSM’s sake. The amount and quality of information has changed markedly since then, and anyone with sense has kept up with that. 
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,301
    mcgruff10 said:
    No. Trump could literally control liberals by advocating for the opposite of what he wants. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    No. Trump could literally control liberals by advocating for the opposite of what he wants. 
    He would have to be smart enough, patient enough and non-narcissistic enough to do that, and he’s clearly not. 

And if he was, it would be a whole different situation altogether. 
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,097
    edited July 2020
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Here's the thing: this scenario you're bringing up where Trump recommends masks - it didn't happen. And still hasn't happened. Months of this new normal, and he still hasn't recommended masks. I'm sure he's thought about it - so let's be clear: Trump chooses daily to not recommend masks, when knowing it would be in the public's interest to do otherwise, because it's not in his interest. That's abdication of duty. Trump only thinks in terms of realities that gain him power, or ones that threaten his power.

Also, I don't understand the opposition to learning from past experience. The validity and reasoning of Trump's message should absolutely be questioned, because in the past the validity and reasoning of Trump's messages have shown to have been worth questioning. So little decency has been shown, that if he told me grass was green, I would seek a scientist, or I would wonder how he's aligned things to get Trump Grass on my lawn. 

Edit: One more thing - I haven't seen a politician attempt to stoke the flames of division more than Trump in my lifetime. That makes him at least largely responsible for this political chasm that now exists between Democrats and Republicans.
    Post edited by benjs on
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,613
    Here's what happens when you live in a semi-rural county in California.  I'm pretty sure the same could be said of all less populated counties in this state and the same in other states:

“If you talk to the folks here in Public Health about people not wearing masks and businesses not requiring masks, the majority of those are coming from this part of the county, not from Tahoe … I think we’ve been lucky because we’re a little more spread out, not because we’ve been doing everything right.”
    — Dr. Nancy Williams, El Dorado County public health officer
    This was said recently in the wake of increasing numbers of COVID cases here.  We live in an area that could have avoided much of this disease.  But there are too many stupid people here who think they are somehow not going to be vulnerable and we have a large contingent of right wingers who have politicized the virus and seem to think wearing a face mask and social distancing is "un-American"
    Typical situation here:

Image may contain 2 people

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Basically saying “if Trump was a strategic genius rather then someone who had to pay someone to take the SATs for him, he could really manipulate the left” :lol: 
    bbiggs said:
    What is the point about banging on about “the initial messaging”? That was March for FSM’s sake. The amount and quality of information has changed markedly since then, and anyone with sense has kept up with that. 
    I’m not banging on anything. I’m making a point in response to a statement made directly to me. 
This discussion has been closed.