Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,219
    Not to mention that Fauci was taken out of context in an effort to discredit him. At the time he made the comment that masks wouldn’t be effective, there were 5 known cases in the US. He then follows that statement with words to the effect that if the number of cases increase, wearing masks would be part of an effective strategy to contain the spread. 

It’s amazing how effective misinformation campaigns can be. 
    He said in the middle, not just at the beginning. 

There’s no reason to be walking around with a mask. When you’re in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better and it might even block a droplet, but it’s not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is. And, often, there are unintended consequences — people keep fiddling with the mask and they keep touching their face.”

What stage of the outbreak would you say we are in now? Even though I choose to wear a mask this doesn’t make me feel as warm and fuzzy as you, and a single drop is not the protection that is currently being sold. To the second part of his comment, I don’t know about you but all I see is people messing with their masks. Maybe it is time to update their stance again with a campaign saying to wear a mask and whatever you do don’t fiddle with it. I don’t hear much about that, or am I taking that out of context? Makes me wonder how many people have contracted the virus by thinking they were doing the right thing, but weren’t doing it properly. He said often when talking about consequences so that would lead me to believe quite a few.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590
    What the fu$k is wrong with people?
    Wear a g-damn mask you pu$$ies

MASK IT OR CASKET

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,841
    nicknyr15 said:
    It's amazing how unwilling we are to be inconvenienced.  And how we melt down when asked to be.

American exceptionalism.

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited July 2020
    nicknyr15 said:
    R. Kelly approves 
    drip drip drip
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,655
    Americans aren’t welcome in the Bahamas. I expect a lot more headlines like this in the coming months.

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,933
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,994
    Americans aren’t welcome in the Bahamas. I expect a lot more headlines like this in the coming months.

Or Canada or the EU. Not sure about the rest of the world but if you're them and doing everything you can to contain and mitigate Covid, why would you welcome Americans?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,136

Or Canada or the EU. Not sure about the rest of the world but if you're them and doing everything you can to contain and mitigate Covid, why would you welcome Americans?
    I don't blame ANY  of those Caribbean for closing there borders to Americans. I'm here in S. Florida I'd love to take a trip down to Jamaica just to get away from the craziness that's happening here. That country of approximately 3 million people took severe actions to squelch the virus to the point where you can the number of deaths on one's hands 10.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,460
    g under p said:

I don't blame ANY  of those Caribbean for closing there borders to Americans. I'm here in S. Florida I'd love to take a trip down to Jamaica just to get away from the craziness that's happening here. That country of approximately 3 million people took severe actions to squelch the virus to the point where you can the number of deaths on one's hands 10.

Peace
    Agreed we are the idiots of the world and I don’t blame any country for taking this stance!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,284
    edited July 2020
    well, i had an interesting day friday 7/17. i got a phone call from a hospital 2.5 hours away from me. i covered a case there on tuesday 7/14. i was told that that patient ended up testing positive for the rona on thursday 7/16. they had had  negative test the week before surgery, then reported for surgery and had another test. no word on if she had symptoms day of surgery or not. at any rate, i got the call friday morning and immediately went to an urgent care to get a rapid response test. i had had ppe on the entire time and was nowhere near the patient at all. i did get a sidehug from one of the nurses that treated the patient before surgery because her and i are good friends. because of that side hug i had a confirmed exposure. It is 6 days post exposure and i still do not have symptoms.

i got to the urgent care facility about 9:15 am and did not get seen until 2:15 pm. there were 60 people in front of me to get tested. by 10:30 they were turning people away who needed testing because all of their tests for the day were accounted for. I ended up getting tested and got my negative result about 30 minutes later. they said that they have had a serious increase in testing because more and more people are getting known, confirmed exposures. it was pretty scary, but at least i know i am negative. 

everyone keep wearing masks and keep distancing as much as you can. i am convinced me wearing the ppe the entire time i was at that hospital protected me.
    Post edited by gimmesometruth27 on
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    Be safe, man, glad to hear the PPP did as intended and protected you 

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    g under p said:

Peace
    So why are people upset when we try to close the border to Mexico.  Border towns are still treating COVID-19 positive Mexican nationalists, who are ONLY coming over for US healthcare...Maybe Canada will take a few to ease the burden and clear some beds?
  • Options

thanks man. i am going back there for cases tomorrow and friday, so you can be damn sure i am wearing a mask the entire time i am there. 

i know i was exposed again at the urgent care because there were people there waiting to be tested that a: looked sick, b: had a cough, or c: both.

i can't stress enough that everyone needs to look out for themselves. especially in states where cases are going up.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,932
    PJPOWER said:
    g under p said:

Peace
    So why are people upset when we try to close the border to Mexico.  Border towns are still treating COVID-19 positive Mexican nationalists, who are ONLY coming over for US healthcare...Maybe Canada will take a few to ease the burden and clear some beds?
    Because Trump. Simple. Obama essentially made comments about immigration with the same message only in a more presidential way that we’re accustomed to hearing. Even the lovely people of CHAZ knew to create borders and check ID before letting people in. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    nicknyr15 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    g under p said:

Peace
    Because Trump. Simple. Obama essentially made comments about immigration with the same message only in a more presidential way that we’re accustomed to hearing. Even the lovely people of CHAZ knew to create borders and check ID before letting people in. 
    It’s just nuts, but funny now how we have all of these people that were going bat shit crazy any time border control was mentioned now all onboard with it since it could effect their communities.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    In May here in West Palm Beach I took a covid test it took 3 days for the test to come back, that test was negative. I took another test on July 10th and today my sister and I are STILL waiting on a result. We need to know because of the condition of our mother, I hope to take another in August so that I can go be with my mother of whom I've not been with in a year. This is getting beyond ridiculous, this bundling of this virus will surely go down in history as one of the worst ever.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p said:
    In May here in West Palm Beach I took a covid test it took 3 days for the test to come back, that test was negative. I took another test on July 10th and today my sister and I are STILL waiting on a result. We need to know because of the condition of our mother, I hope to take another in August so that I can go be with my mother of whom I've not been with in a year. This is getting beyond ridiculous, this bundling of this virus will surely go down in history as one of the worst ever.

Peace
    10 days is inexcusable. i am sorry it is taking so long. could it be because FL is a hotspot right now and labs are overwhelmed?

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,232
    g under p said:

Peace
    10 days is inexcusable. i am sorry it is taking so long. could it be because FL is a hotspot right now and labs are overwhelmed?

Maybe it’s because states run by the Rs pride themselves by shrinking the government down to the size of a bathtub?

difficult to test and deliver results for thousands from a single bathtub?
  • Options
    g under p said:

Peace
    Gimmie, that's absolutely the case. In May I took the test because there was hardly anyone taking the test then and enough time had gone by so I just wanted to know. The testing setup is across from me at the Nats/Astros Spring Training facility and it is now packed with lines of cars. More and more people are coming down with this virus yet our governor does nothing. He is turning out to be Trump Mini Me and he's dumber than Trump if that's even possible.

Peace

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,655

g under p said:

Peace

It's f'ing insane. We're the richest country in the world and we haven't figured out quick & reliable testing yet.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/states-duking-it-out-for-supply-lack-of-federal-plan-leads-to-coronavirus-testing-delays/ar-BB16TUcR?ocid=ientp

America is a f'ing joke.

• Options
    g under p said:
    g under p said:

Peace
    Gimmie, that's absolutely the case. In May I took the test because there was hardly anyone taking the test then and enough time had gone by so I just wanted to know. The testing setup is across from me at the Nats/Astros Spring Training facility and it is now packed with lines of cars. More and more people are coming down with this virus yet our governor does nothing. He is turning out to be Trump Mini Me and he's dumber than Trump if that's even possible.

Peace
    man that is horrible. i am so sorry.

we should all have access to the rapid result test. our HQ is in Largo, FL and most of that staff is working from home. our backorders are through the roof because you can't manufacture things if the plant is closed. 

this is such a clusterfuck. 

i just hope that this galvanizes your fellow floridians to get out and vote. desantis is an epic failure.

our governor in MO is almost as bad.

• Options

g under p said:

Peace

It's f'ing insane. We're the richest country in the world and we haven't figured out quick & reliable testing yet.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/states-duking-it-out-for-supply-lack-of-federal-plan-leads-to-coronavirus-testing-delays/ar-BB16TUcR?ocid=ientp

America is a f'ing joke.

this is so infuriating.

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,994

g under p said:

Peace

America is a f'ing joke.

Wealth doesn't always equate with intelligence.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    benjs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Our country is so divided I wonder if libs would have worn masks if Trump advocated for them in the beginning.  
    Good point and fair question. 

Based on what, science fiction?

The best comparison I could recall straight away would be the Afghan and Iraq wars.

Enough Dems fell in line both times.
    Based on the fact that the left despises Trump so much that even if he made the correct recommendation to wear masks, the validity and reasoning of Trump’s message would likely be questioned. 
    Here's the thing: this scenario you're bringing up where Trump recommends masks - it didn't happen. And still hasn't happened. Months of this new normal, and he still hasn't recommended masks. I'm sure he's thought about it - so let's be clear: Trump chooses daily to not recommend masks, when knowing it would be in the public's interest to do otherwise, because it's not in his interest. That's abdication of duty. Trump only thinks in terms of realities that gain him power, or ones that threaten his power.

Also, I don't understand the opposition to learning from past experience. The validity and reasoning of Trump's message should absolutely be questioned, because in the past the validity and reasoning of Trump's messages have shown to have been worth questioning. So little decency has been shown, that if he told me grass was green, I would seek a scientist, or I would wonder how he's aligned things to get Trump Grass on my lawn. 
    This was my point. I’m not saying it’s wrong to question things he says. He’s a jackass. The bolded part confirms exactly what I stated above that others are saying no to. Trump says the sky is blue and his opposition would say it’s a lie. 
    Give us an example of something that is self evidently true,  that Trump has pushed and liberals have denied. 
    Don’t have one and never said that it has occurred. The bottom line in this discussion for me is that the American people would have fucked this up regardless because of their unwillingness to be inconvenienced by masks.  I don’t care if you’re right, left, red or blue.  This is my belief.  Can I prove it?  No.  Do I believe that some liberals would not wear one just to spite Trump if he advised us to?  Yes.  It seems that people who are pushing back about this feel liberals always make the right calls because they follow science.  That’s cool. I just don’t see it that way. This is a political shit show that is not as cut and dry as some make it out to be. 
    It became a political shit show. It didn't start that way. My memories of the beginning of this thing were Americans clapping for nurses, musicians raising money for hospitals, people donating their $1200 check to people who needed it more than them, parents praising teachers once they realized how hard it was to teach just two kids at home. And then something happened -- the fucking president started running daily briefings at the dinner hour saying all kinds of stupid shit and people were like WTF. That's when it became political -- when DJT turned the daily health briefing into his canceled rallies substitute and telling people to drink bleach. 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,460
    well, i had an interesting day friday 7/17. i got a phone call from a hospital 2.5 hours away from me. i covered a case there on tuesday 7/14. i was told that that patient ended up testing positive for the rona on thursday 7/16. they had had  negative test the week before surgery, then reported for surgery and had another test. no word on if she had symptoms day of surgery or not. at any rate, i got the call friday morning and immediately went to an urgent care to get a rapid response test. i had had ppe on the entire time and was nowhere near the patient at all. i did get a sidehug from one of the nurses that treated the patient before surgery because her and i are good friends. because of that side hug i had a confirmed exposure. It is 6 days post exposure and i still do not have symptoms.

i got to the urgent care facility about 9:15 am and did not get seen until 2:15 pm. there were 60 people in front of me to get tested. by 10:30 they were turning people away who needed testing because all of their tests for the day were accounted for. I ended up getting tested and got my negative result about 30 minutes later. they said that they have had a serious increase in testing because more and more people are getting known, confirmed exposures. it was pretty scary, but at least i know i am negative. 

everyone keep wearing masks and keep distancing as much as you can. i am convinced me wearing the ppe the entire time i was at that hospital protected me.
    Damn scary we just have to come to terms this is the new normal! Now we have to really try to keep track of who we come in contact with at all times ,lots of people everywhere are not wearing masks even here in NY city !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844

thanks man. i am going back there for cases tomorrow and friday, so you can be damn sure i am wearing a mask the entire time i am there. 

i know i was exposed again at the urgent care because there were people there waiting to be tested that a: looked sick, b: had a cough, or c: both.

i can't stress enough that everyone needs to look out for themselves. especially in states where cases are going up.

So you had to go to a clinic to get it done? Not a drive-through location? Sorry to hear that - seems like the worst possible option, to cluster potentially sick and infectious people together like that. How did they manage the crowd?

Good luck - hope you stay healthy.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

Damn scary we just have to come to terms this is the new normal! Now we have to really try to keep track of who we come in contact with at all times ,lots of people everywhere are not wearing masks even here in NY city !
    it's crazy to me that people in NYC are not wearing masks right now. even though you all have done the best job at flattening the curve. hope you are staying safe!

• Options

So you had to go to a clinic to get it done? Not a drive-through location? Sorry to hear that - seems like the worst possible option, to cluster potentially sick and infectious people together like that. How did they manage the crowd?

Good luck - hope you stay healthy.
    i called my pcp and he recommended i go to the clinic. they have the rapid results test. a lot of the drive through ones here take 4-6 days to get your results. i am a surgical sales rep and am the busiest i have ever been. my business cannot afford to have me wait that long for results. 

yeah i know, the people in the clinic were really spaced about, almost 10 feet apart and all were wearing masks. they would not let anybody in the building without a mask, and they checked for temperature as soon as you went to the front desk. it still sucked seeing people that looked sick. in the back of my mind i was like "that is probably the first person i have actually seen that has this thing."

thank you, you too!

This discussion has been closed.