The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,933
    benjs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Our country is so divided I wonder if libs would have worn masks if Trump advocated for them in the beginning.  
    Good point and fair question. 

Based on what, science fiction?

The best comparison I could recall straight away would be the Afghan and Iraq wars.

Enough Dems fell in line both times.
    Based on the fact that the left despises Trump so much that even if he made the correct recommendation to wear masks, the validity and reasoning of Trump’s message would likely be questioned. 
    Here's the thing: this scenario you're bringing up where Trump recommends masks - it didn't happen. And still hasn't happened. Months of this new normal, and he still hasn't recommended masks. I'm sure he's thought about it - so let's be clear: Trump chooses daily to not recommend masks, when knowing it would be in the public's interest to do otherwise, because it's not in his interest. That's abdication of duty. Trump only thinks in terms of realities that gain him power, or ones that threaten his power.

Also, I don't understand the opposition to learning from past experience. The validity and reasoning of Trump's message should absolutely be questioned, because in the past the validity and reasoning of Trump's messages have shown to have been worth questioning. So little decency has been shown, that if he told me grass was green, I would seek a scientist, or I would wonder how he's aligned things to get Trump Grass on my lawn. 
    This was my point. I’m not saying it’s wrong to question things he says. He’s a jackass. The bolded part confirms exactly what I stated above that others are saying no to. Trump says the sky is blue and his opposition would say it’s a lie. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,952
    More fucking idiocy around COVID here in California.  Saw this on an FB post:

"I ran into a lady saying the usual crazy anti-masking nonsense and began trying gently to debunk her lunacy. Long story short, she revealed herself to be a RN. I looked her up on the California Board of Registered Nurses, posted it to her asking if it was her. She said it was.

I was floored. This lady actually currently treats patients?!?!?!?!

So I reported her to the board and sent them her entire Facebook meltdown laden with abhorrent anti-medical nonsense. Then I posted the copy of the email I'd sent and gave her a strongly worded condemnation in the name of medicine. It was at that point that I realized something: these people think this is just like some kind of online game! She just likely threw away her entire career being a moron.

Naturally, they kicked me out and blocked me.

I feel fine about my actions but it's sad to see the reaction of the admins. Being in the medical field myself, I'm legally, morally and ethically required to report malpractice. What she saying is nothing short of encouraging a room of patients to inject disinfectant—except worse, as what she's doing has potential impacts on our whole community.

What a sad time to be alive. A freaking RN."

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    It's a really stupid discussion, sorry. Why are we going back in time and proposing a hypothetical situation (an insanely unreasonable one at that) as though it matters right now?

I do not disagree that the American people are to blame at this point. It became very clear to me from the beginning that we were all going to have to fend for ourselves because our entire government apparatus, from the federal to the local level, is completely unequipped to deal with a national emergency. Now that our leaders have decided to open bars, restaurants, gyms, etc -- it is even more important that I double down on my efforts to keep my mother alive.  A big F-OFF to all of you who think it's acceptable to let old people die, or spend their last years in isolation, while all the rest of you go out and pick up your beer at the local bar or take a trip to the shore or send your kids to a school that will not put a single CDC recommendation in place. I will watch the horror show you create from my couch. Yes, it is on the American people. It is on you.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,041
    It's a really stupid discussion, sorry. Why are we going back in time and proposing a hypothetical situation (an insanely unreasonable one at that) as though it matters right now?

I do not disagree that the American people are to blame at this point. It became very clear to me from the beginning that we were all going to have to fend for ourselves because our entire government apparatus, from the federal to the local level, is completely unequipped to deal with a national emergency. Now that our leaders have decided to open bars, restaurants, gyms, etc -- it is even more important that I double down on my efforts to keep my mother alive.  A big F-OFF to all of you who think it's acceptable to let old people die, or spend their last years in isolation, while all the rest of you go out and pick up your beer at the local bar or take a trip to the shore or send your kids to a school that will not put a single CDC recommendation in place. I will watch the horror show you create from my couch. Yes, it is on the American people. It is on you.
    We do hypothetical situations all the time here (i.e. if Hillary was president would covid be this bad?).  I think it is a pretty good discussion and I do believe a lot of libs would not wear a mask if Trump said to wear one.  
    Side note, I love this quote: “Looks like by April, you know, in theory, when it gets a little warmer, it miraculously goes away.”
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,815
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Our country is so divided I wonder if libs would have worn masks if Trump advocated for them in the beginning.  
    I don't think it's a fair point, honestly.  Wearing a mask is science and logic based.  Educated liberals I know aren't reflexive idiots. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    benjs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

The best comparison I could recall straight away would be the Afghan and Iraq wars.

Based on the fact that the left despises Trump so much that even if he made the correct recommendation to wear masks, the validity and reasoning of Trump’s message would likely be questioned. 
    Here's the thing: this scenario you're bringing up where Trump recommends masks - it didn't happen. And still hasn't happened. Months of this new normal, and he still hasn't recommended masks. I'm sure he's thought about it - so let's be clear: Trump chooses daily to not recommend masks, when knowing it would be in the public's interest to do otherwise, because it's not in his interest. That's abdication of duty. Trump only thinks in terms of realities that gain him power, or ones that threaten his power.

Also, I don't understand the opposition to learning from past experience. The validity and reasoning of Trump's message should absolutely be questioned, because in the past the validity and reasoning of Trump's messages have shown to have been worth questioning. So little decency has been shown, that if he told me grass was green, I would seek a scientist, or I would wonder how he's aligned things to get Trump Grass on my lawn. 
    This was my point. I’m not saying it’s wrong to question things he says. He’s a jackass. The bolded part confirms exactly what I stated above that others are saying no to. Trump says the sky is blue and his opposition would say it’s a lie. 
    Give us an example of something that is self evidently true,  that Trump has pushed and liberals have denied. 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,642
    Dems would have wore masks if Trump would have suggested it based on science and the rest of the scientific community was saying that.  No question.  What would they have to gain not to?  

Remember, Republicans are the anti-science party who thinks government is out to get them.   

We will never advance as a country until we stop trying to justify poor behavior by saying some else did it previously or someone else would have done the same thing if the situation was reversed.  We need to start expecting better of our leaders.  The fact that liberals play politics doesn’t mean that Conservatives should too, and vice versa.   Hopefully one day we can vote on issues again and not party.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    benjs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Give us an example of something that is self evidently true,  that Trump has pushed and liberals have denied. 
    Don’t have one and never said that it has occurred. The bottom line in this discussion for me is that the American people would have fucked this up regardless because of their unwillingness to be inconvenienced by masks.  I don’t care if you’re right, left, red or blue.  This is my belief.  Can I prove it?  No.  Do I believe that some liberals would not wear one just to spite Trump if he advised us to?  Yes.  It seems that people who are pushing back about this feel liberals always make the right calls because they follow science.  That’s cool. I just don’t see it that way. This is a political shit show that is not as cut and dry as some make it out to be. 
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,993
    Not to mention that Fauci was taken out of context in an effort to discredit him. At the time he made the comment that masks wouldn’t be effective, there were 5 known cases in the US. He then follows that statement with words to the effect that if the number of cases increase, wearing masks would be part of an effective strategy to contain the spread. 

It’s amazing how effective misinformation campaigns can be. 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

Some pretty pointed and unnecessary remarks here.  I go to my local bar to pick up beer, with a mask on. I’m advocating for my kids to go to school in the classroom. There are others here that do the same and have taken trips to the shore. I certainly do not think it’s okay to let old people die and I don’t see any of the others here that feel that way. Telling us to fuck off is ridiculous and unacceptable. Maybe step away from the keyboard next time before you hit send. 
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,841
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    The country is more divided than at any point in my lifetime. This president is despised, by many, more than any president in my lifetime. The ones that despise him believe that everything he says is a lie (could be true). So if he advises to do something like wear a mask, why would they believe him? Let’s remember, folks, the initial messaging from Fauci, CDC and WHO was that masks did nothing.  So if trump said masks will save lives at that time, you think the left would have listened? 
    I do not think the left would have listened.  This country is as divided as ever.  
    They would not have listened to Trump. But they would have listened to experts.  Behavior based on Trump’s feelings is entirely owned by the right.  And it’s the right fucking this up.  But keep hanging your hats on how the left might be just as bad if the circumstances were what they are not.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    benjs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Don’t have one and never said that it has occurred. The bottom line in this discussion for me is that the American people would have fucked this up regardless because of their unwillingness to be inconvenienced by masks.  I don’t care if you’re right, left, red or blue.  This is my belief.  Can I prove it?  No.  Do I believe that some liberals would not wear one just to spite Trump if he advised us to?  Yes.  It seems that people who are pushing back about this feel liberals always make the right calls because they follow science.  That’s cool. I just don’t see it that way. This is a political shit show that is not as cut and dry as some make it out to be. 
    Im not saying no left of center person would refuse,  but no one could convince me that had Trump led by example,  this would be a political issue. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    benjs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Im not saying no left of center person would refuse,  but no one could convince me that had Trump led by example,  this would be a political issue. 
    Fair enough. I guess we will never know. 
  • Options
    Not to mention that Fauci was taken out of context in an effort to discredit him. At the time he made the comment that masks wouldn’t be effective, there were 5 known cases in the US. He then follows that statement with words to the effect that if the number of cases increase, wearing masks would be part of an effective strategy to contain the spread. 

It’s amazing how effective misinformation campaigns can be. 
    Taken out of context or not, he made the statement while knowing it was false. The U.S. having 5 cases is irrelevant. There were a lot more than 5 cases globally and a man with his background didn’t need an eruption in U.S. cases to know the science behind transmission of respiratory viruses. He intentionally misled so Americans didn’t hoard masks needed by hospitals. And taking comments out of context to discredit someone is what U.S. politics and media does. Even the Dems take the Repubs comments out of context intentionally at times. I know, it’s hard to imagine. 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Amen to the bolded part.  Unfortunately - or not, ha! - I'm in the US but keeping away from the fucking idiots.

And there are a slew of them.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,655
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Amen to the bolded part.  Unfortunately - or not, ha! - I'm in the US but keeping away from the fucking idiots.

100%. I'm sick of the people who say... oh it's only killed .07% of thee population!  What kind of argument is that??  The Vietnam war only killed .02% of the population,  but did we say... well let's keep escalating the war until the deaths are material to the population?  No,  the value if each if those losses had to be recognized.

• Options
    hedonist said:

It is not amen to the bolded part. Those comments were direct shots at myself and others here based on posts we made in recent days. On Friday I posted how pissed I was that I walked in to buy beer WITH A MASK and had to encounter a packed room of people without masks.  Myself and others have stated we are comfortable having our kids in the classroom WITH PROPER PRECAUTIONS.  Another person vacationed at the shore WHILE TAKING PRECAUTIONS. These were all posted within the last week, so they are fresh. These were direct and specific shots at those of us that posted and we were told to fuck off.  It’s unacceptable. 
  • Options
    FTR, I'm not taking shots at you.  I didn't read any of those posts
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Not you, man. Good, hard discussions are all good and necessary here. Twisting someone’s words and telling them to fuck off is a different story. That poster knows what he/she was saying and to whom. The problem I have with it is that no one that those shots were aimed at is supporting careless behavior or dismissing the importance of protecting the elderly, despite the comments he/she made in the post. No sleep lost here...moving on. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,041
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Not you, man. Good, hard discussions are all good and necessary here. Twisting someone’s words and telling them to fuck off is a different story. That poster knows what he/she was saying and to whom. The problem I have with it is that no one that those shots were aimed at is supporting careless behavior or dismissing the importance of protecting the elderly, despite the comments he/she made in the post. No sleep lost here...moving on. 
    I still can’t believe you risked your life for a thirty pack of naty ice.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I still can’t believe you risked your life for a thirty pack of naty ice.  
    What can I say...I really wanted an Icehouse.  Had to throw caution to the wind.  ;) 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,932
    It’s not bad enough that shootings are through the roof here in NYC with no clear resolution from our gutless mayor, now Bus drivers are also facing increased violence from assholes who won’t put on masks while riding public transportation. What a shame. 

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,642
    The US is being exposed for all sorts of societal issues right now.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,966
    JW269453 said:
    tish said:
    The thing is, after you lose somebody, you want to know that you did your part and did everything you could to keep others safe. I'm glad my daughter's Grandpa kept to work and his 2 person bubble or I would be second guessing if sending a young one off to school played a part in his death.
    Sorry to hear of your stepfathers passing. Have the results come back from the second coronavirus test?
    Not yet, but an autopsy will be done. I will let you know. Thank you for your concern and to others for the kind words.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,952
    tish said:
    JW269453 said:
    tish said:
    The thing is, after you lose somebody, you want to know that you did your part and did everything you could to keep others safe. I'm glad my daughter's Grandpa kept to work and his 2 person bubble or I would be second guessing if sending a young one off to school played a part in his death.
    Sorry to hear of your stepfathers passing. Have the results come back from the second coronavirus test?
    Not yet, but an autopsy will be done. I will let you know. Thank you for your concern and to others for the kind words.

Condolences, Tish, and best wishes to you and yours.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    bbiggs said:
    hedonist said:

It is not amen to the bolded part. Those comments were direct shots at myself and others here based on posts we made in recent days. On Friday I posted how pissed I was that I walked in to buy beer WITH A MASK and had to encounter a packed room of people without masks.  Myself and others have stated we are comfortable having our kids in the classroom WITH PROPER PRECAUTIONS.  Another person vacationed at the shore WHILE TAKING PRECAUTIONS. These were all posted within the last week, so they are fresh. These were direct and specific shots at those of us that posted and we were told to fuck off.  It’s unacceptable. 
    I'm not involved in that; I just can't believe how many people believe their wants are more important than collective health needs.

As to the reference about the number of people who've died from this, I was reminded of this line from an excellent HBO film, "And The Band Played On".

Blood Bank Executive: Is the CDC seriously suggesting that the blood industry spends $100M a year to use the test for the wrong disease because we have a handful of transfusion fatalities and eight dead hemophiliacs?
    Dr. Don Francis: How many dead hemophiliacs do you need? How many people have to die to make it cost efficient for you people to do something about it? A hundred? A thousand? Give us a number so we won't annoy you again until the amount of money you begin spending on lawsuits make it more profitable for you to save people than to kill them.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,165
    bbiggs said:
    hedonist said:

No shit. I’m fucking tired of the all or none bullshit.

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    And for what it's worth - since I see some tempers beginning to flare! - I'm not talking about common sense use or non-use of masks.  I'm talking about the goddamn nimrods who refuse to wear them around others, who declare those wearing them aren't welcome at certain places of business, who harass others for wearing them, who minimize the severity of this whole clusterfuck,

And on.

That's what I'm amen-ing about.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    The virus demands sacrifices.  Some don't make any, some make some, some make many
    Some don't care who may be sacrificial offerings.

Expect that to be a heated topic of debate.
    It all depends on how people feel about this themselves.
    (And I do think non maskers are non thinkers....but that is my opinion, not a fact.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
This discussion has been closed.