Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,451
    well, i had an interesting day friday 7/17. i got a phone call from a hospital 2.5 hours away from me. i covered a case there on tuesday 7/14. i was told that that patient ended up testing positive for the rona on thursday 7/16. they had had  negative test the week before surgery, then reported for surgery and had another test. no word on if she had symptoms day of surgery or not. at any rate, i got the call friday morning and immediately went to an urgent care to get a rapid response test. i had had ppe on the entire time and was nowhere near the patient at all. i did get a sidehug from one of the nurses that treated the patient before surgery because her and i are good friends. because of that side hug i had a confirmed exposure. It is 6 days post exposure and i still do not have symptoms.

i got to the urgent care facility about 9:15 am and did not get seen until 2:15 pm. there were 60 people in front of me to get tested. by 10:30 they were turning people away who needed testing because all of their tests for the day were accounted for. I ended up getting tested and got my negative result about 30 minutes later. they said that they have had a serious increase in testing because more and more people are getting known, confirmed exposures. it was pretty scary, but at least i know i am negative. 

everyone keep wearing masks and keep distancing as much as you can. i am convinced me wearing the ppe the entire time i was at that hospital protected me.
    Damn scary we just have to come to terms this is the new normal! Now we have to really try to keep track of who we come in contact with at all times ,lots of people everywhere are not wearing masks even here in NY city !
    it's crazy to me that people in NYC are not wearing masks right now. even though you all have done the best job at flattening the curve. hope you are staying safe!
    The one good thing is Cuomo won’t put up with any going backwards he’ll shut it down quick! As of today the hospital I work in has not really seen any uptick at all on new infections coming through the ER! Keep my mask on when ever I’m out doing errands .

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,932
    well, i had an interesting day friday 7/17. i got a phone call from a hospital 2.5 hours away from me. i covered a case there on tuesday 7/14. i was told that that patient ended up testing positive for the rona on thursday 7/16. they had had  negative test the week before surgery, then reported for surgery and had another test. no word on if she had symptoms day of surgery or not. at any rate, i got the call friday morning and immediately went to an urgent care to get a rapid response test. i had had ppe on the entire time and was nowhere near the patient at all. i did get a sidehug from one of the nurses that treated the patient before surgery because her and i are good friends. because of that side hug i had a confirmed exposure. It is 6 days post exposure and i still do not have symptoms.

i got to the urgent care facility about 9:15 am and did not get seen until 2:15 pm. there were 60 people in front of me to get tested. by 10:30 they were turning people away who needed testing because all of their tests for the day were accounted for. I ended up getting tested and got my negative result about 30 minutes later. they said that they have had a serious increase in testing because more and more people are getting known, confirmed exposures. it was pretty scary, but at least i know i am negative. 

everyone keep wearing masks and keep distancing as much as you can. i am convinced me wearing the ppe the entire time i was at that hospital protected me.
    Damn scary we just have to come to terms this is the new normal! Now we have to really try to keep track of who we come in contact with at all times ,lots of people everywhere are not wearing masks even here in NY city !
    it's crazy to me that people in NYC are not wearing masks right now. even though you all have done the best job at flattening the curve. hope you are staying safe!
    The one good thing is Cuomo won’t put up with any going backwards he’ll shut it down quick! As of today the hospital I work in has not really seen any uptick at all on new infections coming through the ER! Keep my mask on when ever I’m out doing errands .

Glad to hear your hospital has not seen an uptick.  A good friend of mine works at a local hospital in the Chicago suburbs.  During our peak, that hospital averaged 70-80 hospital beds being used for Covid patients.  As of last Friday, that same hospital had 4 beds being used for Covid patients.  Pretty nice turnaround.

• Options
    Jack Nicklaus (arguably the greatest golfer ever for non golf fans) announced yesterday that he and his wife both had Covid in March/April.  Both are 80 years old.  No symptoms for his wife and a mild cough and sore throat for Jack.  Good to see some folks that are in the higher risk category, based on age, are coming out of this with little to no symptoms.  It's a crazy virus that seems to hit differently with no rhyme or reason at times.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,801
    bbiggs said:
    Jack Nicklaus (arguably the greatest golfer ever for non golf fans) announced yesterday that he and his wife both had Covid in March/April.  Both are 80 years old.  No symptoms for his wife and a mild cough and sore throat for Jack.  Good to see some folks that are in the higher risk category, based on age, are coming out of this with little to no symptoms.  It's a crazy virus that seems to hit differently with no rhyme or reason at times.
    There's no arguably about it. He's the greatest. Tiger isn't catching him on majors.  He's also one only a handful of non band members to dot the I in Script Ohio. 

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,038
    Lots of my right leaning friends tell me it is their constitutional right not to wear a mask.  Please be serious and defend them.  Tell me where in the constitution this is.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,637
    mcgruff10 said:
    Lots of my right leaning friends tell me it is their constitutional right not to wear a mask.  Please be serious and defend them.  Tell me where in the constitution this is.  

Does it say in the constitution that you have to wear clothes in public places?  I don't think it does, but somehow there are laws saying for the public good you have to wear clothes in public.  

It is so frustrating that there are people out there acting like this.  They are angry about something.  Angry that their lives aren't better and then lash out like children against some government that is out to get them.  Ironically, they are fine with federal, unmarked agents going into cities.  I thought that was what militias were setup to stop? 

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,925
    mcgruff10 said:
    It’s in the middle somewhere. Look harder. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Does it say in the constitution that you have to wear clothes in public places?  I don't think it does, but somehow there are laws saying for the public good you have to wear clothes in public.  

It is so frustrating that there are people out there acting like this.  They are angry about something.  Angry that their lives aren't better and then lash out like children against some government that is out to get them.  Ironically, they are fine with federal, unmarked agents going into cities.  I thought that was what militias were setup to stop? 

Grievances... so many people are driven by their grievances.  I have arguments with people all the time about this, and most of them are ones they essentially invent in their head.  All empirical evidence points to something else, but they can't help but be angry at liberals, the Marxists, someone.  It's a sad way to live.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Grievances... so many people are driven by their grievances.  I have arguments with people all the time about this, and most of them are ones they essentially invent in their head.  All empirical evidence points to something else, but they can't help but be angry at liberals, the Marxists, someone.  It's a sad way to live.
    Grievances as in first amendment?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Que?  You mean like you pledge your grievance to the flag?

I'm talking about the angry people that are holding grudges and grievances.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I am seriously trying to understand the people that say not wearing a mask is a constitutional right.   I was thinking first amendment in some way.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I am seriously trying to understand the people that say not wearing a mask is a constitutional right.   I was thinking first amendment in some way.  
    These are people who have never read it.  There's nothing in there about whether or not a person can be made to wear pants,  yet every state has decency laws.  Plus states have generally provided governors great latitude in limiting civil rights in times if public health crisis.  There is case law to support it as well.  Anyone who tried to sue would lose quickly in federal court.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Baa baa orange sheep. Is this real fucking life?
  • Options
    DewieCox said: he broke
    Baa baa orange sheep. Is this real fucking life?
    He broke,  caved. He takes stupid stands and then has to break because they're so idiotic. 
  • Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 623
    mcgruff10 said:

They are angry because they have been on the wrong side of history for decades.  They so desperately want to be “right” about something that they will defend the indefensible to no end.  They pick a side and stick with it no matter what evidence is presented to the contrary because they don’t want to be wrong again.  Anything to “own the libs”  I don’t know where this mentality comes from or how it’s got to this point but it is driving me nuts that we are in the position we are in.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,637
    edited July 2020
    bootleg said:
    mcgruff10 said:

They are angry because they have been on the wrong side of history for decades.  They so desperately want to be “right” about something that they will defend the indefensible to no end.  They pick a side and stick with it no matter what evidence is presented to the contrary because they don’t want to be wrong again.  Anything to “own the libs”  I don’t know where this mentality comes from or how it’s got to this point but it is driving me nuts that we are in the position we are in.
    This is some great insight.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,373
    mcgruff10 said:
    69th Amendment.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,995
    I'm betting there is a lot of crossover between people who believe the right to not wear a mask is guaranteed by the constitution and who were thrown off by the Declaration of Independence a few years back:

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    This "it's my right" attitude reminds me of being in third grade at the playground and some kid says "it's a free country and I'll do what I want."  It's just so childish.  There's no valid reason these people refuse to wear a mask except to be ass holes and make life difficult.  If everyone wears a mask for a month, the virus essentially goes away.  But nope.  Some people need to exercise their right to keep spreading it.  It's so ridiculous.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    This seems like the right time for me to kick off the crusade against No Shirt No Shoes No Service I’ve been thinking about for a while.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    OnWis97 said:
    This seems like the right time for me to kick off the crusade against No Shirt No Shoes No Service I’ve been thinking about for a while.
    My 2 year old would like to have a word with you and add No Underwear to that list. The ultimate freedom.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    dignin said:

This might be the best possible news not related to a cure/vaccine.  I can't prove it but I've always believed that if masks helped the wearer, they'd be much more likely to be used.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,127
    dignin said:
    OnWis97 said:
    My 2 year old would like to have a word with you and add No Underwear to that list. The ultimate freedom.
    You know how things go especially here in S Florida * things need to breathe*.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited July 2020
    OnWis97 said:
    dignin said:

This might be the best possible news not related to a cure/vaccine.  I can't prove it but I've always believed that if masks helped the wearer, they'd be much more likely to be used.
    Great news, hopefully this will encourage those “on the fence” on wearing a mask.  
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Russia claims to have a vaccine ready to go...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339

did you see me? i saw you.
This discussion has been closed.