Comments

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,922
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    OnWis97 said:
    I'm not loving the headline related to asymptomatic.  A lot of people are reading "rare" as "impossible." And then there's pre-symtomatic.  I'm still masking.  Do I look silly? Oh well.  At this point, it can't hurt; could help.

Same here.  I don't go out much because I'm in a couple high risk categories, but my wife isn't and we both wear masks if we have to go out.  Why not!?!  It's a minor precaution and may only make a small difference,  but in a pandemic, why wouldn't someone wear a mask, especially if it's just to go into the grocery store or hardware store or pharmacy?  It's no big deal, certainly no big sacrifice, and if it helps one tiny bit, that's a plus.  I get angry seeing lots of people who are either too vain or too selfish to put on a mask in public.
    Aesthetically, a mask is definitely an improvement for me. 

I'm just starting to notice that I'm a little tanner on the forehead than around the mouth...
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,220
    nicknyr15 said:

Someone should buy Bill a newspaper, some headlines today-

With Cases Rising in 21 States, Washington Turns to Other Business

Coronavirus hospitalizations rise sharply in several states following Memorial Day

Hospitalizations in at least nine states are on the rise; U.S. nears 2 million cases

Coronavirus cases spike again in California; SF restaurants can offer outdoor dining starting Friday

As States Reopen, Cases Surge In Places That Were Once Cold Spots

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:

Coronavirus hospitalizations rise sharply in several states following Memorial Day

Hospitalizations in at least nine states are on the rise; U.S. nears 2 million cases

Coronavirus cases spike again in California; SF restaurants can offer outdoor dining starting Friday

Not arguing with the dangers of reopening too soon. I’m more in agreement about the hypocrisy of the lockdown. This is ok but this isn’t etc...... none of it is consistent. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,920
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Not arguing with the dangers of reopening too soon. I’m more in agreement about the hypocrisy of the lockdown. This is ok but this isn’t etc...... none of it is consistent. 

That was the sense of what I got from Maher's clip.  There isn't much consistency at all.  He's also saying that it doesn't make sense to allow flying (where people are confined) but not outdoor activity.  That makes little sense. 

In any case, for me it's all about keeping safe.  I stay in whenever possible!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,448
    New Zealand, Montenegro and the Faroe Islands have declared themselves coronavirus free while several other countries state that they are close to zero.

But state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell is skeptical that the numbers will hold up.

- From my point of view it sounds completely impossible, he says.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,356
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

He's also saying that it doesn't make sense to allow flying (where people are confined) but not outdoor activity.  That makes little sense. 

Well to be fair he compared flying to attending a baseball game. A plane may have 200 people on board, a baseball game could have like 40,000 people in attendance.
    Apples and watermelons.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I think most of the "inconsistency" is just people, Maher included, failing to understand that some things are essential and others are purely elective.  Dipshits on Facebook respond to everything closure related with an angry "but you can still go to Walmart and it's full of people!" 
    Right Jim Bob, it's totally unfair that you can't go to the water park but you can still get groceries and home supplies 🤦‍♂️
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Flying is essential to many people for many reasons, water parks and playground equipment are not essential to anyone for any reason.  It makes perfect sense.
    Now, do people abuse their privilege to use essential services for non-essential actions?  Of course they do, but that's just the way life works.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,220
    rgambs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I think most of the "inconsistency" is just people, Maher included, failing to understand that some things are essential and others are purely elective.  Dipshits on Facebook respond to everything closure related with an angry "but you can still go to Walmart and it's full of people!" 
    Right Jim Bob, it's totally unfair that you can't go to the water park but you can still get groceries and home supplies 🤦‍♂️

Maher has been a tough pill to swallow during this whole restriction period. He has been whining about it non stop. He has a vested interest as his live shows have been canceled.

Just because airlines have been given too much latitude with number of passengers is no reason for him to say he should be able to perform live in an indoor comedy venue.

Many states that opened early are seeing an increase in cases and hospitalizations. And who knows what that will look like in 3 weeks when the impact of protests will be known. Masks and being outdoors can only do so much with this disease. And the US is falling WAY behind in comparison of current cases to the Euro countries that originally had high infections, like Italy, France, UK, etc.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,782
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

My friend’s grandfather died like two weeks ago, and they couldn’t have a funeral due to Covoid. On the other hand, George Floyd had two funerals this week. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    rgambs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Maher has been a tough pill to swallow during this whole restriction period. He has been whining about it non stop. He has a vested interest as his live shows have been canceled.

Just because airlines have been given too much latitude with number of passengers is no reason for him to say he should be able to perform live in an indoor comedy venue.

Many states that opened early are seeing an increase in cases and hospitalizations. And who knows what that will look like in 3 weeks when the impact of protests will be known. Masks and being outdoors can only do so much with this disease. And the US is falling WAY behind in comparison of current cases to the Euro countries that originally had high infections, like Italy, France, UK, etc.
    Maher also has an ownership stake in a baseball team. I would take anything he says on the subject with a huge grain of salt.
  • Options
    I find it hard to believe that there won’t be a slight increase during reopenings no matter how long we wait. And there is no reasoning when it comes to the protests. It’s a sensitive subject so we stay away from it but we can’t be sure if forthcoming spikes will be from reopening or the protests. It must be hard to not be allowed to work and see thousands of people protesting every day. Such a shitty situation with no solid end in sight. 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,383
    dignin said:
    rgambs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Maher also has an ownership stake in a baseball team. I would take anything he says on the subject with a huge grain of salt.
    How did I not know this?

https://www.espn.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/8004806/bill-maher-buys-minority-share-new-york-mets
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

My friend’s grandfather died like two weeks ago, and they couldn’t have a funeral due to Covoid. On the other hand, George Floyd had two funerals this week. 
    Yea it makes no sense. It’s frustrating. 
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,218
    I'm ready for the pager and shitty nokia phone comeback. It is pretty clear that the too much news era coupled with smart phones and social media isn’t healthy human behavior. 
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    JW269453 said:
    I'm ready for the pager and shitty nokia phone comeback. It is pretty clear that the too much news era coupled with smart phones and social media isn’t healthy human behavior. 
    I have been trying to find a cheap “feature phone” that has good audio quality for a longtime.  I dislike having a computer in my pocket every moment of my life.  The problem is they aren’t making very good phones anymore. I think it’s because they haven’t upgraded the design and feature set since they were Originally designed with the 2G network.  Also lack of consumer demand.  
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,218
    static111 said:
    JW269453 said:
    I have been trying to find a cheap “feature phone” that has good audio quality for a longtime.  I dislike having a computer in my pocket every moment of my life.  The problem is they aren’t making very good phones anymore. I think it’s because they haven’t upgraded the design and feature set since they were Originally designed with the 2G network.  Also lack of consumer demand.  
    What we have now is definitely overkill. Anyone under 30 would probably die if you took their phone away so I don't see a resurgence, but I miss when people weren't staring at 3x5 screens all day long.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,773
    edited June 2020
    JW269453 said:
    24 hour cable news + baby boomers in power = this mess
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,920
    JW269453 said:

I'm good with my old flip phone as long as it keeps working.  But I do still have this laptop and, because some friends of mine mostly keep in touch via Facebook, I log in there pretty much every day.  But with crap I have to wade through there sometimes- whew! 
    mrussel1 said:
    JW269453 said:

"baby boomers in power= this mess" :frowning:   As a boomer, my first reaction is to be defensive.  My more thoughtful reaction is well described by something a fellow boomer said to me recently regarding racism and other long-standing issues:  "Weren't we supposed to have changes all this?"   Yup- we were going to change the world.  Some things did change but honestly, not much.  Will the genXers, millenials, GenZers do better?  We'll see.  I hope so.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,312
    dignin said:
    rgambs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

He makes more in salary than what he makes for the Mets, no?
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,487
    dignin said:
    rgambs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

He makes more in salary than what he makes for the Mets, no?
    Baseball finances are extremely opaque, but so what? The shutdown costs him money as both a touring comedian and baseball owner. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    JW269453 said:

I'm good with my old flip phone as long as it keeps working.  But I do still have this laptop and, because some friends of mine mostly keep in touch via Facebook, I log in there pretty much every day.  But with crap I have to wade through there sometimes- whew! 
    mrussel1 said:
    JW269453 said:

"baby boomers in power= this mess" :frowning:   As a boomer, my first reaction is to be defensive.  My more thoughtful reaction is well described by something a fellow boomer said to me recently regarding racism and other long-standing issues:  "Weren't we supposed to have changes all this?"   Yup- we were going to change the world.  Some things did change but honestly, not much.  Will the genXers, millenials, GenZers do better?  We'll see.  I hope so.
    Yes, I'm tough on baby boomers, I'll admit.  They are really disappointing because they held so much promise in the late 60's, but the polarization started in the mid 90's, when men like Clinton, Gingrich, Rush and others came on the scene.  It wasn't the WWII generation.  
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    edited June 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    JW269453 said:

mrussel1 said:
    JW269453 said:

Yes, I'm tough on baby boomers, I'll admit.  They are really disappointing because they held so much promise in the late 60's, but the polarization started in the mid 90's, when men like Clinton, Gingrich, Rush and others came on the scene.  It wasn't the WWII generation.  
    GenX parents, by and large, have been horrible, per my anecdotal evidence over 25 years of teaching and having day to day exposure to the results of their parenting endeavors. The things I have heard, seen, -- even from my own frinds and family members: mainly over-indulgence, permissiveness, my kid is my best friend, over-scheduling, shielding them from any setbacks, etc. One of my GenX friends said, "Well, if you think we're awful, wait until you see what the Millenial parents produce." That's the stage I'm now -- children of the Millenial parents, GenZ. Rising rates of anxiety/depression/suicide being the most alarming trend with this group. Children as props on their social media pages ranks next.

Edit:  one of my GenX cousins whose kids are now in college said to me once:  "A teacher's first and most important job is to make sure that every kid feels special and loved."  I retorted:  "No, that's your job. My job is to make sure they can read."
    Post edited by what dreams on
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,153
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    JW269453 said:

mrussel1 said:
    JW269453 said:

GenX parents, by and large, have been horrible, per my anecdotal evidence over 25 years of teaching and having day to day exposure to the results of their parenting endeavors. The things I have heard, seen, -- even from my own frinds and family members: mainly over-indulgence, permissiveness, my kid is my best friend, over-scheduling, shielding them from any setbacks, etc. One of my GenX friends said, "Well, if you think we're awful, wait until you see what the Millenial parents produce." That's the stage I'm now -- children of the Millenial parents, GenZ. Rising rates of anxiety/depression/suicide being the most alarming trend with this group. Children as props on their social media pages ranks next.

Edit:  one of my GenX cousins whose kids are now in college said to me once:  "A teacher's first and most important job is to make sure that every kid feels special and loved."  I retorted:  "No, that's your job. My job is to make sure they can read."
    I think it's just that the teachers have gotten way worse.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    JW269453 said:

mrussel1 said:
    JW269453 said:

That's interesting.  I'm a gen X parent.  I'm 47 and my son graduated from HS today, daughter graduated from college last week.  I feel like I'm WAY less permissive than my parents.  My parents were not boomers, I had old parents (dad born in 27).  Mine and my friends parents had no clue what we were up to on a daily basis.  We would disappear for days, unaccounted.  That would never happen with our kids. We have GPS, I had GPS and data on their driving habits, etc.  I know for a fact that my kids were way less wild than me.  

Regarding the depression/anxiety, I always wonder if that's an awareness/over medicated society issue, rather than kids are actually different.  I can say that I was very impressed with both of my older children's friends.  They both had high quality friends that supported each other, were anti-bullying, supported gay rights, etc.  I'm actually encouraged when I look at the kids I know, and feel good about the future.  
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    JW269453 said:

mrussel1 said:
    JW269453 said:

That's interesting.  I'm a gen X parent.  I'm 47 and my son graduated from HS today, daughter graduated from college last week.  I feel like I'm WAY less permissive than my parents.  My parents were not boomers, I had old parents (dad born in 27).  Mine and my friends parents had no clue what we were up to on a daily basis.  We would disappear for days, unaccounted.  That would never happen with our kids. We have GPS, I had GPS and data on their driving habits, etc.  I know for a fact that my kids were way less wild than me.  

Regarding the depression/anxiety, I always wonder if that's an awareness/over medicated society issue, rather than kids are actually different.  I can say that I was very impressed with both of my older children's friends.  They both had high quality friends that supported each other, were anti-bullying, supported gay rights, etc.  I'm actually encouraged when I look at the kids I know, and feel good about the future.  
    Congratulations to your son and daughter!

i agree with much of what you said (and how often does THAT happen??). My kid is 20 and in the third year of a university degree. I have been impressed with the thoughtfulness, intelligence, work ethic and engagement  of almost all of the friends I’ve met or heard of. I just don’t see the issues that some complain of. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    JW269453 said:

mrussel1 said:
    JW269453 said:

Oh, yes, I have another life-long friend who GPS's her kids. I told her she was nuts. I asked her how she would have liked it if her parents put an ankle bracelet on her when she was young? How would you be a different adult today if you didn't have the freedom to go out and do wreckless, irresponsible stuff and develop resiliency and resourcefulness on her own?

Here I was, supposedly having a a rare adult lunch with her alone while both her teenaged children were out, and she spent the whole time tracking her child's car on her phone (I'm sorry, this is just nuts to me. It's a form of control I do not understand)  When she discovered the kid was at a place she hadn't told her mom about, my friend interrupted our adult lunch to call her child and demand she come home immediately. Yelling and resistance ensued -- when the kid finally arrived home, she said something about "reporting back to prison" before storming to her room and slamming the door.  This was two summers ago -- Gen Z child born to an older Gen X mom. And yes, you guess it, this helicoptered kid tried to kill herself twice. 

Regarding awareness vs different issue -- I can tell you, in my first years of teaching, I've never had students admitted to mental health facilities or panic attacks in the classroom over the "trauma" of getting a B on a test, or cutting themselves starting in elementary school. In the past decade, I've got at least one and sometimes 3-4 kids a year who have all out mental breakdowns. I believe it's Jeanne Twenge who has done the prominent research on the rise of this phenomenon. According to her research, it's real.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    I should add I didn’t do any sort of GPS tracking. I don’t agree with that part. Life is about taking risks and figuring out which ones work out and how to assess each situation. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Oh yes, everyone's own child is the epitome of all things perfect. I would give it a 90% or higher when asking parents to sel-report on their own child. Even my friends who agree with me don't see that they do it with their own children. One such friend allowed her child to wear princess outfits every day -- to school, the store, everywhere. One day the child was having a complete temper tantrum, and then my friend, of course, caved to her child's demands. I had to say to her, "Well, when you dress her up in a princess outfit everyday, she will begin to think she's a princess." 

For the record, I do still have friends  =)
This discussion has been closed.