Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,920
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    I had to out today to get food.  For me, going out is like a mini reconnaissance mission- swift, accurate, and as untouchable as possible.  Yet I see fewer masks this week than previous weeks.  I, like others, predicted a lax attitude about the virus over a period of time and here we are.  We'll see how the numbers turn.  Got a bad feeling about it though.
    If you’re in an area where people aren’t wearing masks, Brian, then wear an N95 if you have one. If not, I think they’re back on shelves. 

A cloth mask won’t do much to protect you; it’s to protect all those assholes who apparently don’t give a shit about you.

I should heed this advice.  Thank you!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,383
    I'm not even sure how to sum up how bonkers this story is. It doesn't shock me that the WHO got wrapped up in some bunk shit, but The Lancet and NEJM? Jesus. Just a reminder to have a little humility before you shriek about "science" to someone you disagree with.

• Options
    Basically if you're going to scold someone for not listening to scientists, you better be pretty damn confident in who the scientists are listening to 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,795
    Really?
    Because some people on the internet know better?
    I'll take a guess by WHO or affiliated groups over message board folks or Trump every day of the week
    It is frustrating, no doubt, that so much erroneous information is out there.
    This doesn't mean that I will stop looking for better sources and distance myself from the home based scientist using Google or facefool.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,019

Sweden is rushing to launch a formal inquiry into its no-lockdown coronavirus strategy, as its death rate remains among the world's highest

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sweden-rushing-launch-formal-inquiry-122428968.html
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Really?
    I'll take a guess by WHO or affiliated groups over message board folks or Trump every day of the week
    This doesn't mean that I will stop looking for better sources and distance myself from the home based scientist using Google or facefool.
    You're missing the point entirely. Scrutinize but also have humility. As someone who has relied upon these publications in my work for almost 20 years, it is astonishing what seems to have happened here.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    Really?
    Yes. Scientists and journals make mistakes all the time. The difference is they admit it and course correct, that can't be said for the other side.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,773
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:
    What is the data from the county you live in?  Per Google which cites Wikipedia (are these what is considered valid source today?). 

my county:  

Population 31,000
    COVID confirmed cases: 70
    COVID confirmed deaths:  2

We are entering stage 3 next week if everything stays on track. 

June 2 update:

Confirmed cases: 79
    Confirmed deaths: 2

We are entering some stage ... who knows ... I feel like everyone said 'fuck it' this past weekend.  Not seeing many masks, but I can't blame anyone as we have been getting shamed for a month and then the entire US decides to literally join arms ... usually not a bad thing!   

Masks are the law inside stores in Virginia.  Signs posted everywhere and stores will throw you out. 

I'm seeing more wearing masks than not in SW Va but no one being told they have to..Some stores say required on the door and people inside arent wearing them.. I immediately count them as Trump supporters,,

Are you all the way down in Bristol area? SW is like a whole different world than where I am 

Not quite..Roanoke...hour or two  away from a little bit of everything...Really a nice place nestled in a valley that has grown quite a bit over the years.
    Yes Roanoke is very nice.  Plus you have some good colleges close too. Virginia is a beautiful state.  There are so many different feeling regions.  
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,795
    pjl44 said:
    Really?
    You're missing the point entirely. Scrutinize but also have humility. As someone who has relied upon these publications in my work for almost 20 years, it is astonishing what seems to have happened here.
    I recognize mistakes are made but I still will say that people should look to scientists and not politicians or Twitter/Facebook readers.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    Really?
    I recognize mistakes are made but I still will say that people should look to scientists and not politicians or Twitter/Facebook readers.
    Yes, obviously. We seem to be talking about completely different things. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,920
    mcgruff10 said:

Sweden is rushing to launch a formal inquiry into its no-lockdown coronavirus strategy, as its death rate remains among the world's highest

That's really sad because in some ways, Sweden seems like a very together place.  It looks like they really dropped the ball on this one.  It's a bummer to hear about their high death rate, especially when the evidence was already out there that countries that quickly shut down have had lower death rates.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    were sweden’s hospitals overrun with covid cases during the last quarantine that other countries did?  just curious. 
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,922
    ^No, they were not, which was part of the decision making logic. Let's go easy on them until we see how this plays out in the end.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,936

3. Swedish regrets

The Swedish epidemiologist who has overseen the country’s laissez-faire response to the coronavirus said yesterday that it should have taken more aggressive steps. The epidemiologist, Anders Tegnell, had previously defended the approach — meant to build up “herd immunity,” by encouraging normal behavior — and criticized other countries.

The Guardian reported that Sweden suffered the world’s highest per capita death rate in the week that ended Tuesday, although some other countries still have higher overall death rates.

A view from Gothenburg: “It was a shock at first to see young people sitting in bars, office workers crowding food trucks and hair salons filled with clients,” says my colleague Lara Takenaga, who recently relocated to Sweden from New York. “There are sometimes signs in stores instructing you to keep two meters apart or a lone bottle of hand sanitizer, but no one wears face coverings or gloves. The threat of the virus feels distant — it’s almost like the Before Times.”

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,029
    edited June 2020

3. Swedish regrets

The Swedish epidemiologist who has overseen the country’s laissez-faire response to the coronavirus said yesterday that it should have taken more aggressive steps. The epidemiologist, Anders Tegnell, had previously defended the approach — meant to build up “herd immunity,” by encouraging normal behavior — and criticized other countries.

The Guardian reported that Sweden suffered the world’s highest per capita death rate in the week that ended Tuesday, although some other countries still have higher overall death rates.

A view from Gothenburg: “It was a shock at first to see young people sitting in bars, office workers crowding food trucks and hair salons filled with clients,” says my colleague Lara Takenaga, who recently relocated to Sweden from New York. “There are sometimes signs in stores instructing you to keep two meters apart or a lone bottle of hand sanitizer, but no one wears face coverings or gloves. The threat of the virus feels distant — it’s almost like the Before Times.”

I just don't get it. I mean to get herd immunity 40-80 thousand people would have had to die in Sweden alone to achieve that if you factor in a 0.5% - 1% death rate. You are saying that you are ok with that happening by trying for herd immunity and now that you have higher deaths per capita you admit to making a mistake doing that? How did you not know that was going to be the result in the first place? It is simple math and now that the have a fairly high death count compared to everyone else per capita and a weak number up against herd immunity you are second guessing things? This is what you had planned on doing and these are the results anyone following this expected. 

Also where is the right wing media on this? For weeks we kept hearing about ya but Sweden didn't do anything and they are doing great. Where are the follow up reports? 

Edit: Sweden decided to try for herd immunity when we did not have an accurate death rate too (still waiting for one but we are getting closer). A lot of groups had it at 3% at that point. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,487

3. Swedish regrets

No Swedish regrets

In an interview in Stockholm on Wednesday, Tegnell said he has no regrets, and is “still confident” that Sweden’s strategy “is working, in broad terms. But like any strategy, it needs to be adapted all the time.”
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-03/sweden-won-t-abandon-covid-strategy-despite-admitting-to-errors
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    the article in sweden also notes that 50% of the deaths were in nursing’s homes.  Is Sweden the only country to have leaders to admit the may have made wrong decisions when dealing with an unknown pandemic?   Why do we view that as a weakness?  I’d rather have leaders who admit they were wrong and modify policy instead of never admitting they were wrong, doubling down on their wrong decision, and then spend resources on studies to justify the wrong decision to the public. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,773
    Jason P said:
    the article in sweden also notes that 50% of the deaths were in nursing’s homes.  Is Sweden the only country to have leaders to admit the may have made wrong decisions when dealing with an unknown pandemic?   Why do we view that as a weakness?  I’d rather have leaders who admit they were wrong and modify policy instead of never admitting they were wrong, doubling down on their wrong decision, and then spend resources on studies to justify the wrong decision to the public. 
    elections...
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,264
    mcgruff10 said:

didn't we all see this coming?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,932

• Options
    bbiggs said:

Unfortunately, you can't really glean much from that without also knowing the associated change in testing 
  • Options
    yeah i can't make heads or tails of what's going on anymore.  don't know what to believe.  numbers skewed everywhere.  the mindset of everyone seems to be "what virus?"  Just thought i'd post for what it's worth (not much lol)
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,922
    https://news.gov.bc.ca/files/June4_Covid19_ForSplitScreen_V8.pdf

BC released new modelling today. You can see the slides above and the youtube link below walks you through the slides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK_4N6jtJbQ

Our RNA sequencing told us weather cases were from China, Iran, Washington, or Eastern Canada/Europe. They are stressing borders at Washington and large gatherings as high risk. My area only had 1 new case in the last 2 weeks after we started re-opening businesses/restaurants. The next loosing of measures (such as school and parks came back this week) will inform us on our summer. Looks like we are going to keep going down into the summer.

Cheers!
  • Options
    View image on Twitter

Wonder if Texas will be getting large concerts again this year too. 50% at a stadium is still over double an arena show. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,922
    PJNB said:
    View image on Twitter

Wonder if Texas will be getting large concerts again this year too. 50% at a stadium is still over double an arena show. 
    I don’t see why not. These protests pretty much put the nail in the coffin for social distancing. 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,312
    PJNB said:
    View image on Twitter

I'll predict only country acts will do this.  Strictly biased by me, lol.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    PJNB said:
    View image on Twitter

I don’t see why not. These protests pretty much put the nail in the coffin for social distancing. 
    Was thinking the same. A few weeks ago a group of 10 was a scary thought. Now groups of 10,000 are a daily occurrence. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,922
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    PJNB said:
    View image on Twitter

Was thinking the same. A few weeks ago a group of 10 was a scary thought. Now groups of 10,000 are a daily occurrence. 
    Yup.  This past week in NYC you could get in more trouble for dipping a toe in the ocean than looting department stores. Weird times. I really hope NYC doesn’t see a huge spike in Covid cases the next two weeks. Just as we’re making progress here. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    PJNB said:
    View image on Twitter

Yup.  This past week in NYC you could get in more trouble for dipping a toe in the ocean than looting department stores. Weird times. I really hope NYC doesn’t see a huge spike in Covid cases the next two weeks. Just as we’re making progress here. 
    I saw you guys had zero Covid deaths yesterday for the first time in months.  Big milestone.  Hope it continues for everyone's sake.

• Options
    View image on Twitter

Had a good laugh at this probably more than I should have. This is not aimed at anyone here btw. 
This discussion has been closed.