Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,836
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    JW269453 said:
    I'm ready for the pager and shitty nokia phone comeback. It is pretty clear that the too much news era coupled with smart phones and social media isn’t healthy human behavior. 

I'm good with my old flip phone as long as it keeps working.  But I do still have this laptop and, because some friends of mine mostly keep in touch via Facebook, I log in there pretty much every day.  But with crap I have to wade through there sometimes- whew! 
    mrussel1 said:
    JW269453 said:
    I'm ready for the pager and shitty nokia phone comeback. It is pretty clear that the too much news era coupled with smart phones and social media isn’t healthy human behavior. 
    24 hour cable news + baby boomers in power = this mess

"baby boomers in power= this mess" :frowning:   As a boomer, my first reaction is to be defensive.  My more thoughtful reaction is well described by something a fellow boomer said to me recently regarding racism and other long-standing issues:  "Weren't we supposed to have changes all this?"   Yup- we were going to change the world.  Some things did change but honestly, not much.  Will the genXers, millenials, GenZers do better?  We'll see.  I hope so.
    Yes, I'm tough on baby boomers, I'll admit.  They are really disappointing because they held so much promise in the late 60's, but the polarization started in the mid 90's, when men like Clinton, Gingrich, Rush and others came on the scene.  It wasn't the WWII generation.  

Here's my take (and I use the word "we" in a very generalized sense here.  Personally, I dipped into and then dropped out of this generational  norm of my generation along time ago): 

Basically what happen is you had the luckiest generation (we grew up in a bubble of relative wealth among a marvelous explosion of rich cultural innovation) that has or possibly will ever live on earth.  At the same time, this group of people were well to exceptionally well educated (my first full load tuition at a state university was $50) and were highly motivated by our ideals to fight against an unjust war in Vietnam and support efforts to end racism in the wake of the Civil Rights Movement.

As much as our idealism was often genuine, our relatively cushy life style was not something we were going to let go of and so we found ourselves working in places like Silicon Valley or Aerojet or IBM, etc., making good money, being DINKs (dual income, no kids) or having just one or two kids, buying nice suburban homes, living the life, all the while giving lip-service to the ideals we were once passionate about.

The generations that followed have increasing had to- and will have to- struggle more to get by.  I think the outcome of all this will inevitably lead to one of two paths:  either successful social and environmental change, or a total breakdown of civility with occasional burst of anarchist or near anarchist clashes with an increasingly militant government.  I'm hoping for the former.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    I wanted to check my reference on Jean Twenge to remember if she was the psychologist studying generational changes in mood disorders, and my memory is correct.

I have not read her most recently popular book on the effect of digital technology (IGen: Why Super Connected Kids are Growing Up Less Rebellious, More Tolerant, Less Happy, and Completely Unprepared for Adulthood).  I did read two of her other books, Generation Me and The Narcissism Epidemic: Living in the Age of Entitlement. 

In Generation Me, she discusses the change in parenting over time, where previous generations (Boomer parents) essentially ran an adult-centered household where decisions were made based on what the parents needed and wanted. Subsequent generations (GenX and forward) began running child-centered households and parents' decisions and social activities and frienship circles are made through their children. Basically, in our day (the 70s for me), our parents had lives apart from us. They loved and provided for us, but they did not define their existence by their children's activities and accomplishments. This is just not true anymore, and the evidence seems apparent to me everywhere.

Here is a link to an article about the mental health issue which suggests that the rise in disorders is due to a "generational shift."
    https://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/releases/abn-abn0000410.pdf

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,587
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,198
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    JW269453 said:

I'm good with my old flip phone as long as it keeps working.  But I do still have this laptop and, because some friends of mine mostly keep in touch via Facebook, I log in there pretty much every day.  But with crap I have to wade through there sometimes- whew! 
    mrussel1 said:
    JW269453 said:

"baby boomers in power= this mess" :frowning:   As a boomer, my first reaction is to be defensive.  My more thoughtful reaction is well described by something a fellow boomer said to me recently regarding racism and other long-standing issues:  "Weren't we supposed to have changes all this?"   Yup- we were going to change the world.  Some things did change but honestly, not much.  Will the genXers, millenials, GenZers do better?  We'll see.  I hope so.
    Yes, I'm tough on baby boomers, I'll admit.  They are really disappointing because they held so much promise in the late 60's, but the polarization started in the mid 90's, when men like Clinton, Gingrich, Rush and others came on the scene.  It wasn't the WWII generation.  
    GenX parents, by and large, have been horrible, per my anecdotal evidence over 25 years of teaching and having day to day exposure to the results of their parenting endeavors. The things I have heard, seen, -- even from my own frinds and family members: mainly over-indulgence, permissiveness, my kid is my best friend, over-scheduling, shielding them from any setbacks, etc. One of my GenX friends said, "Well, if you think we're awful, wait until you see what the Millenial parents produce." That's the stage I'm now -- children of the Millenial parents, GenZ. Rising rates of anxiety/depression/suicide being the most alarming trend with this group. Children as props on their social media pages ranks next.
    That's interesting.  I'm a gen X parent.  I'm 47 and my son graduated from HS today, daughter graduated from college last week.  I feel like I'm WAY less permissive than my parents.  My parents were not boomers, I had old parents (dad born in 27).  Mine and my friends parents had no clue what we were up to on a daily basis.  We would disappear for days, unaccounted.  That would never happen with our kids. We have GPS, I had GPS and data on their driving habits, etc.  I know for a fact that my kids were way less wild than me.  

Regarding the depression/anxiety, I always wonder if that's an awareness/over medicated society issue, rather than kids are actually different.  I can say that I was very impressed with both of my older children's friends.  They both had high quality friends that supported each other, were anti-bullying, supported gay rights, etc.  I'm actually encouraged when I look at the kids I know, and feel good about the future.  

Congrats! Man you are a young parent!

When we were growing up in the 70s, we would run thru the woods for hours on end. Play unsupervised in new home foundations under construction. bb guns. Dangerous games with rocks. Not exactly safe.

My  parents left the big city for the suburbs which were considered an oasis back then from crime and other urban challenges, so that gave them a false sense of comfort to allow kids to play for hours unsupervised.

Since then, the suburbs have become less safe as crime and gangs have evolved well outside the big cities.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,735
    I should add I didn’t do any sort of GPS tracking. I don’t agree with that part. Life is about taking risks and figuring out which ones work out and how to assess each situation. 
    You need to deal with your children based on what they shown you.  The situation with my son was different than my daughter,  therefore the control structure was different.  Be careful in saying something is nuts when you don't know the personal challenges.  It would be irresponsible not to do certain things just because you think they should fail.  Sometimes that failure can be irreversible.
  • Options
    Oh yes, everyone's own child is the epitome of all things perfect. I would give it a 90% or higher when asking parents to sel-report on their own child. Even my friends who agree with me don't see that they do it with their own children. One such friend allowed her child to wear princess outfits every day -- to school, the store, everywhere. One day the child was having a complete temper tantrum, and then my friend, of course, caved to her child's demands. I had to say to her, "Well, when you dress her up in a princess outfit everyday, she will begin to think she's a princess." 

For the record, I do still have friends  =)
    Because I knew my son wasn't perfect is precisely why I had to control aspects of his life more than I would have wanted. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    JW269453 said:

mrussel1 said:
    JW269453 said:

GenX parents, by and large, have been horrible, per my anecdotal evidence over 25 years of teaching and having day to day exposure to the results of their parenting endeavors. The things I have heard, seen, -- even from my own frinds and family members: mainly over-indulgence, permissiveness, my kid is my best friend, over-scheduling, shielding them from any setbacks, etc. One of my GenX friends said, "Well, if you think we're awful, wait until you see what the Millenial parents produce." That's the stage I'm now -- children of the Millenial parents, GenZ. Rising rates of anxiety/depression/suicide being the most alarming trend with this group. Children as props on their social media pages ranks next.
    That's interesting.  I'm a gen X parent.  I'm 47 and my son graduated from HS today, daughter graduated from college last week.  I feel like I'm WAY less permissive than my parents.  My parents were not boomers, I had old parents (dad born in 27).  Mine and my friends parents had no clue what we were up to on a daily basis.  We would disappear for days, unaccounted.  That would never happen with our kids. We have GPS, I had GPS and data on their driving habits, etc.  I know for a fact that my kids were way less wild than me.  

Regarding the depression/anxiety, I always wonder if that's an awareness/over medicated society issue, rather than kids are actually different.  I can say that I was very impressed with both of my older children's friends.  They both had high quality friends that supported each other, were anti-bullying, supported gay rights, etc.  I'm actually encouraged when I look at the kids I know, and feel good about the future.  

Congrats! Man you are a young parent!

When we were growing up in the 70s, we would run thru the woods for hours on end. Play unsupervised in new home foundations under construction. bb guns. Dangerous games with rocks. Not exactly safe.

My  parents left the big city for the suburbs which were considered an oasis back then from crime and other urban challenges, so that gave them a false sense of comfort to allow kids to play for hours unsupervised.

Since then, the suburbs have become less safe as crime and gangs have evolved well outside the big cities.
    We had bottle rocket wars,  Roman candle wars,  BB gun fights,  the whole deal.  We were total idiots.  And my father taught us all of those things.   Ridiculous 
    Thanks for the congrats.  I do have a 12 year old left.  It's funny,  she's such a wonderful little girl,  studious and artistic,  that we sometimes forget about her in the evening.  It's like we're empty nesters at 47.  
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    mrussel1 said:
    I should add I didn’t do any sort of GPS tracking. I don’t agree with that part. Life is about taking risks and figuring out which ones work out and how to assess each situation. 
    You need to deal with your children based on what they shown you.  The situation with my son was different than my daughter,  therefore the control structure was different.  Be careful in saying something is nuts when you don't know the personal challenges.  It would be irresponsible not to do certain things just because you think they should fail.  Sometimes that failure can be irreversible.
    I don’t believe  I said anywhere in there it was nuts. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I don’t believe  I said anywhere in there it was nuts. 
    Sorry,  that was What Dreams 
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,845

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,634
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Is there still a coronavirus?  I thought it was all over.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,141
    Fuck Yeah!!!!

Florida fired its coronavirus data scientist. Now she’s publishing the statistics on her own.
    By Marisa Iati
    June 13 at 12:51 PM ET
    Tension built for days between Florida Department of Health supervisors and the department’s geographic information systems manager before officials showed her the door, she says, permanently pulling her off the coronavirus dashboard that she operated for weeks.

Managers had wanted Rebekah Jones to make certain changes to the public-facing portal, she says. Jones had objected to — and sometimes refused to comply with — what she saw as unethical requests. She says the department offered to let her resign. Jones declined.

Weeks after she was fired in mid-May, Jones has now found a way to present the state’s coronavirus data exactly the way she wants it: She created a dashboard of her own.

“I wanted to build an application that delivered data and helped people get tested and helped them get resources that they need from their community,” Jones, 30, said of the site that launched Thursday. “And that’s what I ended up building with this new dashboard.”

White House coronavirus response coordinator Deborah Birx praised Florida’s official coronavirus dashboard in April as a beacon of transparency. But Jones has asserted that the site undercounts the state’s infection total and overcounts the number of people tested — with the official numbers bolstering the decision to start loosening restrictions on the economy in early May, when the state had not met federal guidelines for reopening.
    The competing opinions about how to frame Florida’s data underscore the importance of access to accurate information about the virus’s spread as the state continues to lift restrictions on public life. Among other data-related controversies, Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) came under heavy scrutiny after Jones first alleged publicly that the health department was manipulating statistics to support his desire to reopen.

The Florida governor’s office did not respond Friday to an email seeking comment on Jones’s new dashboard. In a previous statement, a spokeswoman for the governor said Jones “exhibited a repeated course of insubordination during her time with the Department, including her unilateral decisions to modify the Department’s COVID-19 dashboard without input or approval from the epidemiological team or her supervisors.”

Jones’s allegations about other managers’ requests are serious. She claimed they asked her to delete data showing that some residents tested positive for the coronavirus in January, even though DeSantis assured residents in March that there was no evidence of community spread. Jones also alleged that she was asked to manually change numbers to wrongly make counties appear to have met metrics for reopening.

Representatives for the Florida Health Department did not respond Friday to a request for comment on Jones’s dashboard but provided a statement Saturday after this article published. A department spokesman said the January dates that Jones referenced are not necessarily when a person tested positive for the virus. Those dates could also represent the first day someone came into contact with an infected person or went to a place where she may have contracted the virus, the statement said.

“Epidemiologists collect information that informs the Department of Health of an individual’s symptoms, contacts and location of where they may have acquired COVID-19,” said the spokesman, Alberto Moscoso. “The first date of entry in answer to any question, COVID-related or not, is designated the event date.”

Many event dates are months before a person became sick, Moscoso added.

Despite the differences between the state’s dashboard and Jones’s dashboard, Jones’s site relies on the health department’s data. She said she wrote code that pulls information from various reports on the department’s website and presents the data in a way that she believes adds more context. Her dashboard also incorporates data from hospitals and from a volunteer organization that maps coronavirus testing sites.
    On Jones’s dashboard, the number of people tested is significantly lower than the official figure. She said the state’s number is actually a tally of the number of samples taken — not the number of people tested. Her dashboard said Florida had tested 895,947 people as of Friday evening, whereas the state dashboard listed the number of people tested as more than 1.3 million.

Jones’s death toll is slightly higher because she counts nonresidents who died while they were in Florida, while the state does not. States take varied approaches in accounting for nonresidents who die there, as well as for residents who die while out of state.

The case count on Jones’s dashboard is also higher because it includes people who have tested positive for antibodies, or proteins that indicate that the virus has been in someone’s body. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has warned that antibody tests are not foolproof and that a higher percentage of positive results may be incorrect in areas where few people have had the virus.

In Jones’s eyes, the divergences from the state’s data site were necessary.

“If you’re creating something that simply presents a very narrow view of a situation that’s complex and nuanced but affects everybody’s lives, then you’re not enabling them to take action, to take some semblance of control over what they’re going through,” she said of the state health department’s dashboard.

Jones said she plans to keep her dashboard running, from her home in Tallahassee, for as long as it seems to be useful for residents and she can afford to do so. If a vaccine is developed, she said she wants her site to include information about distribution.

The project has been neither easy — Jones said she has been working 12-hour days — nor cheap. To launch the site, Jones said she bought a new computer, upgraded her hard drive and licensed the software that she uses to create the maps. A GoFundMe page had raised nearly $27,000 for her as of Friday evening.

While Jones said she is open to talking with the health department about selling her dashboard to the state, she insisted that she did not launch the project out of spite or revenge.

“It really is because I had to stop feeling sorry for myself and what happened to me, as unfair as it was, and get back to doing what I wanted to do in the first place, which was help people,” she said.

Jacqueline Dupree contributed to this report.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Guy sent me a message today saying basically that now that the county has opened up we can have fire safety meetings in person.  But no mention of zoom or face time.  Ah, no thanks, bub, I'll pass.

• Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited June 2020
    "2020 ACL Pro Invitational Qualifier - Wilmington" Sports. (2020) from the 76ers Fieldhouse Wilmington Del. High-def series Live. TODAY!!
    Johnsonville ACL Cornhole championships on ESPN.
    Yes professional bag players wearing masks of course & no fans in the stands.  THIS is where we are for live sports on tv mid-June 2020.
    No concerts to go to or to look foward to until simeday in 2021 mabey.
    What the hell??
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    A word to tack on to the thread title:  "sucks"! 

I'm in a somewhat foul, miss my old life, stay at home because of  covid, kind of mood.  Better go put on some cool music... PRONTO!  :lol:

• Options
    sports in America today.
    Good grief.
  • Options
    RYME said:
    sports in America today.
    Good grief.
    I'll stick with Korean baseball.  Cornhole isn't a sport, it's an activity.  
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I'm in a somewhat foul, miss my old life, stay at home because of  covid, kind of mood.  Better go put on some cool music... PRONTO!  :lol:
    I played a few tunes for you in the lounge car bro.
    It was supposed to be Coffee House Music for ya, but now it's late in the day enough now that it is beer time music.
  • Options
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:

I played a few tunes for you in the lounge car bro.
    It was supposed to be Coffee House Music for ya, but now it's late in the day enough now that it is beer time music.

Very cool RYME, thanks!  Still a bit early out here.  Beer time in about 4 hours.  Maybe even red wine time!  :smile: 

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,587
    edited June 2020
    RYME said:
    sports in America today.
    Good grief.
    It's a beautiful day here which I would never waste inside watching sports or any tv.
    Been outside cycling, running, walking the dog, working around the house, etc. And no need for a mask because I haven't been near anyone.
    So I don't notice that the only televised  "sports " is cornhole.
    Next up sitting on front porch with my dog and drinking some sort of small craft brewery DIPA.

Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    RYME said:
    sports in America today.
    Good grief.
    It's a beautiful day here which I would never waste inside watching sports or any tv.
    Been outside cycling, running, walking the dog, working around the house, etc. And no need for a mask because I haven't been near anyone.
    So I don't notice that the only televised  "sports " is cornhole.
    Next up sitting on front porch with my dog and drinking some sort of small craft brewery DIPA.

I didn't waste the beautiful day either here in Wis., I was digging post holes which (builds character and is good for the shoulders my uncle tells me "it's good for ya builds muscle and character")  yeah bleep that lol!. the new deck I'm building, and mixing concrete for the footings.
    So I'm done for the day, come in & sit down for a minute with a beer in hand, & turned on ESPN for no goodl reason.  And that's what was on ESPN. BEAN BAGS is what we play while you are tailgating prior to the ballgame not the main event, and I thought to myself,  If You're vulnerable stay home, otherwise go back to normal full stadiums and sold out concerts.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    HI Everyone!
    COVID is still going on (in some areas the cases are rising)  I work in the Emergency Department and after my shift I go in my isolated part of my home (away from my family) and sit down without moving for a couple of hours.  Work is draining.  Last week I worked a shift without any breaks. I don't know if any of the members of the band read these posts, but I want to thank each one of them.  When I get home, all I listen to is Pearl Jam.  With all the emotions I am dealing with now, Pearl Jam helps me decompress after work.  Thanks for sharing your musical talent with all of us and helping us get through tough times in our lives.
  • Options
    HI Everyone!
    COVID is still going on (in some areas the cases are rising)  I work in the Emergency Department and after my shift I go in my isolated part of my home (away from my family) and sit down without moving for a couple of hours.  Work is draining.  Last week I worked a shift without any breaks. I don't know if any of the members of the band read these posts, but I want to thank each one of them.  When I get home, all I listen to is Pearl Jam.  With all the emotions I am dealing with now, Pearl Jam helps me decompress after work.  Thanks for sharing your musical talent with all of us and helping us get through tough times in our lives.
    Thank you for your work looking after people when they need it most. Good luck getting through this safely. 
  • Options
    USA and Brazil are now number one and two in covid deaths worldwide. 

Gee, I wonder if there’s anything in common in the leadership of those two countries? Can’t quite put my finger on it. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,726
    HI Everyone!
    You do good work, thank you.  Some of us know this is still real and something to be respected.
    Keep safe!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    HI Everyone!
    Thank you. Keep finding that respite as you can; you deserve it. 
  • Options

Gee, I wonder if there’s anything in common in the leadership of those two countries? Can’t quite put my finger on it. 
    Led by total dickheads?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,726
    mrussel1 said:

Led by total dickheads?
    Supported by a bunch of shafts?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Led by total dickheads?
    Supported by a bunch of shafts?
    Taint that the truth.

bada...tss
This discussion has been closed.