Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,077
    bbiggs said:
    I did not read through the CDC or Reddit links above, but am I hearing this correctly, that red states could potentially be calling Covid related deaths pneumonia deaths to lower the numbers?  On the other hand, blue states are also being accused of calling all sorts of deaths Covid related to pump up the numbers.  Top on the fact that the CDC has already shown a propensity to grossly mishandle testing data (virus and antibody tests intertwined) and this has the making of a royal shit show.  Who knows what to believe anymore. 
    Convenient how all that lines up, right? The reality is almost every state is struggling with aspects of reporting. Since this, too, is completely politicized it's easier for those people to just spout conspiracy theories when the numbers don't align with their priors. 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited May 2020
    brianlux said:
    bbiggs said:
    brianlux said:
    Much as I don't like going out, we needed some things from Home Depot.  So off we went with masks and hand sanitizer, hoping others there were doing the same thing.  Nope.  Somewhere around 20%, besides us, had masks.  Disappointing!  Glad to be home and  washed up.  The things we got were either set out in the sun to kill germs or rubbed down with alcohol and brought in.  Glad to have that job done.
    20%?!  Damn.  Why do people make it so hard?  Just put the mask on when indoors in a public place.  That's not so much to ask.  Life has to go on with necessary precautions.  Too bad a large handful of people can't just follow the rules, which increases risk for everyone who does.  Put on a mask and a large percentage of the problems are solved.

Exactly!  I wasn't directly rude to any of these people but when I saw someone with a mask on I said out loud, "Smart man!" or "Smart lady!" and when I passed (but not close) someone without one (most people) I said very quietly, "Idiot".  My wife didn't nudge me, so I know none of them heard me, but it sure is how I felt.  
    My mom saw an older masked gentleman get into a fight with a young maskless couple because he said something to them about it. 

We’re not going to stores (delivery has been a lifesaver) but if I’m out for a walk and see someone near me, I just move away and go on my way. I don’t want to deal with idiots, let alone angry ones. 
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    I did not read through the CDC or Reddit links above, but am I hearing this correctly, that red states could potentially be calling Covid related deaths pneumonia deaths to lower the numbers?  On the other hand, blue states are also being accused of calling all sorts of deaths Covid related to pump up the numbers.  Top on the fact that the CDC has already shown a propensity to grossly mishandle testing data (virus and antibody tests intertwined) and this has the making of a royal shit show.  Who knows what to believe anymore. 
    Convenient how all that lines up, right? The reality is almost every state is struggling with aspects of reporting. Since this, too, is completely politicized it's easier for those people to just spout conspiracy theories when the numbers don't align with their priors. 
    There is a possible motive behind underreporting. I really dont see any upside for any state to over report.

Regardless, when all this settles out I'm confident that we will find out that states have been drastically underreporting how many people have died from covid. Blue and red, intentionally or not.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,758
    brianlux said:
    Much as I don't like going out, we needed some things from Home Depot.  So off we went with masks and hand sanitizer, hoping others there were doing the same thing.  Nope.  Somewhere around 20%, besides us, had masks.  Disappointing!  Glad to be home and  washed up.  The things we got were either set out in the sun to kill germs or rubbed down with alcohol and brought in.  Glad to have that job done.
    So I gotta ask, why off “we” went?

I only ask because as I am concerned we never go together. Only 1 person in and out 

Neither my wife nor I go out very often and when we do it's almost always just one or the other.  This was an unusual exception- she needed supplies related to the bookstore and I needed supplies related to a project at home that I am doing.   I can't remember another time we both went into a store together.  We figured that this being a week day and our Home Depot having very wide isles, it would be OK.   But just OK- I'm not at all thrilled with going in public. 

But good point- very good point.  I would recommend as often as possible just one person going out.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    no new cases in manitoba in several days, 7 deaths total. phase two of opening back up june 1. bars and restaurants at 50% capacity, swimming pools and gyms, etc.

i'm probably still going to work from home until mid-fall, which is fucking fantastic. (serious). i love this. spinning vinyl while i work, having lunch with my kids on the patio. zero commute. roll out of bed 30 seconds before work. this is the best ever. no annoying corporate bullshit to deal with every day. no interruptions or drama. MY OWN BATHROOM. 

i could really get used to this on a permanent basis. 
    Nice!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    bbiggs said:
    brianlux said:
    20%?!  Damn.  Why do people make it so hard?  Just put the mask on when indoors in a public place.  That's not so much to ask.  Life has to go on with necessary precautions.  Too bad a large handful of people can't just follow the rules, which increases risk for everyone who does.  Put on a mask and a large percentage of the problems are solved.

Exactly!  I wasn't directly rude to any of these people but when I saw someone with a mask on I said out loud, "Smart man!" or "Smart lady!" and when I passed (but not close) someone without one (most people) I said very quietly, "Idiot".  My wife didn't nudge me, so I know none of them heard me, but it sure is how I felt.  
    My mom saw an older masked gentleman get into a fight with a young maskless couple because he said something to them about it. 

We’re not going to stores (delivery has been a lifesaver) but if I’m out for a walk and see someone near me, I just move away and go on my way. I don’t want to deal with idiots, let alone angry ones. 
    Yep us too when we’re out for walking ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    There is a possible motive behind underreporting. I really dont see any upside for any state to over report.

Regardless, when all this settles out I'm confident that we will find out that states have been drastically underreporting how many people have died from covid. Blue and red, intentionally or not.
    I agree with your second paragraph 100%. There will inevitably be a couple stories of actual fuckery, but overwhelmingly the reasons will range from incompetence to "there is always problems with this sort of reporting - we just don't notice until we're in a pandemic."
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,677
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Mandatory masks inside now in Va..This is going to really piss off some idiots..
    If it’s anything like IL, you’ll still get some tough guys that go mask free to prove a point. 

With a pistol on the hip..
    It's interesting where I live.  Im in Henrico,  right on the border with Hanover.  If you know VA, you'll know henrico is urban and Hanover is mostly rural,  but suburban where 295 and 95 meet on the north end.   
    I was in Lowes in Henrico on Sunday and masks were 85% easy.   I drove to Home Depot in Hanover,  right at 295 and 95 and it was probably 20% masks.  It was amazing how different it was only 15 minutes apart,  but the Hanover area draws in the rural residents. 
    I’m headed to Richmond to pick up my sons dorm room items from Chicago next week. I’m so curious how this road trip will go. Not real excited about finding hotels on the road but it is what it is I guess.
    Richmond is closed!  The city is dealing with it more cautiously than the counties even though Richmond numbers are low.  Where are you headed?  VCU, UR?
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I saw some TV reporter shaming a passerby for not wearing a mask during a live shoot ... and the passerby promptly noted that the cameraman and half the camera crew were not wearing masks ... and the dejected anchor just stared at the ground and muttered that indeed the cameraman was not wearing a mask.

welcome to planet nuts
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    There is dumb and there is Bama dumb

• Options
    MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687
    edited May 2020
    Smellyman said:

This made me laugh. I've been to the gulf shores twice and all I can say is roll damn tide 😂😂😂
  • Options
    Smellyman said:

Tell 'em, Neil.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,073
    Cases shooting back up in Sweden.

... here we gooo
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,243
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Mandatory masks inside now in Va..This is going to really piss off some idiots..
    If it’s anything like IL, you’ll still get some tough guys that go mask free to prove a point. 

With a pistol on the hip..
    It's interesting where I live.  Im in Henrico,  right on the border with Hanover.  If you know VA, you'll know henrico is urban and Hanover is mostly rural,  but suburban where 295 and 95 meet on the north end.   
    I was in Lowes in Henrico on Sunday and masks were 85% easy.   I drove to Home Depot in Hanover,  right at 295 and 95 and it was probably 20% masks.  It was amazing how different it was only 15 minutes apart,  but the Hanover area draws in the rural residents. 
    I’m headed to Richmond to pick up my sons dorm room items from Chicago next week. I’m so curious how this road trip will go. Not real excited about finding hotels on the road but it is what it is I guess.
    Richmond is closed!  The city is dealing with it more cautiously than the counties even though Richmond numbers are low.  Where are you headed?  VCU, UR?
    UR. We have a specific time slot to be on campus for two hours. We’re driving from Chicago we were gonna stay in West Virginia over night before entering Virginia. Probably won’t spend any more time in the state than needed. Not excited at all.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,813

... here we gooo
    Is testing a lot more too or the same?
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Up to 80% of Covid infections are asymptomatic a new report suggests.  Very small sample size, but this is significant.  It would suggest that the number of people that have been infected is WAY higher than thought.  It would also suggest that it is less deadly than originally thought, based on a large number of unreported cases.

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,073
    PJNB said:

... here we gooo
    Is testing a lot more too or the same?
    There are problems with getting testing going, and people blame eachother - I think the capacity ius 100.000 tests a week but there are only 30.000 happening. 

But hospitals are seeing more people coming in with corona. So it's not because of more testing. But, people are filling up more hospital beds than a few weeks ago. 

So, I guess it's people became more lax when the sun came out.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,871
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,583
    edited May 2020
    Sorry to hear that, Mr. SC. I was thinking it would all even out in the end at 80% community immunity eventually.

Mr.NB, do you think there are more cases than reported where you live? Dr. Henri, in BC, said at first that most people wouldn't need testing, they would just stay home with mild symptoms. With such low numbers in my province, I wonder if there is much more prevalence? The Ministry of Health and Education are both saying it is safe for kids to go back to class. 

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will cohost a major United Nations conference Thusday aimed at developing a co-ordinated global response to mitigate the devastating social and economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic.
    Trudeau is cohosting the four-hour virtual conference with UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres and Jamaican Prime Minister Andrew Holness. You can watch it here.
    • Expanding liquidity in the global economy and maintaining financial stability.
    • Addressing debt vulnerability for developing countries "to save lives and livelihoods for billions of people around the world."
    • Involving private sector creditors in recovery plans.
    • Enhancing external financing for inclusive growth and job creation.
    • Preventing illicit off-shore financial holdings and money laundering that siphon off trillions of dollars needed for rebuilding economies.
    • Aligning recovery policies with sustainable development goals.

The conference comes just as Canada is competing for one of two non-permanent seats on the UN Security Council next month against Norway and Ireland.

The UN vote is set for next month, and Canada is running on a platform of trying to help rebuild the post-pandemic world.

Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-un-summit-1.5587961

Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,813
    tish said:
    Sorry to hear that, Mr. SC. I was thinking it would all even out in the end at 80% community immunity eventually.

Mr.NB, do you think there are more cases than reported where you live? Dr. Henri, in BC, said at first that most people wouldn't need testing, they would just stay home with mild symptoms. With such low numbers in my province, I wonder if there is much more prevalence? The Ministry of Health and Education are both saying it is safe for kids to go back to class. 

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will cohost a major United Nations conference Thusday aimed at developing a co-ordinated global response to mitigate the devastating social and economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic.
    Trudeau is cohosting the four-hour virtual conference with UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres and Jamaican Prime Minister Andrew Holness. You can watch it here.
    • Expanding liquidity in the global economy and maintaining financial stability.
    • Addressing debt vulnerability for developing countries "to save lives and livelihoods for billions of people around the world."
    • Involving private sector creditors in recovery plans.
    • Enhancing external financing for inclusive growth and job creation.
    • Preventing illicit off-shore financial holdings and money laundering that siphon off trillions of dollars needed for rebuilding economies.
    • Aligning recovery policies with sustainable development goals.

Absolutely there was and is more than what is being reported in my province. Our testing has been ok at best but I am betting a lot of people had this and either did not want to get tested or early on the province did not have the means to test properly and they got missed. Right now though anyone that has symptoms that wants to get tested can and there are still only 3 known in our province right now. I fully expect that to go up especially in the Restigouche area since it is pretty much known that there is community spread there. They are having open testing starting today for anyone with or without symptoms to get checked up there. 

Social media is absolutely ripping this doctor a new one. It is painful to watch not knowing the full truth but we live in an age where the mob mentality rules. They want him charged for manslaughter if someone dies from this spread, fined and credentials taken away. I do not know all of the details though. It does seem like he lied about going to and from Quebec in some capacity and still saw people as a healthcare provider. He also had his child going to multiple daycares with symptoms. Irresponsible and disgusting if true but I am just not sure to what extent the law comes into play with this and seeing the reaction online I bet you anything that people will be more reluctant to come forward now with symptoms especially if they were doing something that was not allowed in phase 3. 

Wish you the best of luck in BC. I know your numbers are high but to be honest when this thing started I thought BC and Washington where going to be ground zero in NA and that the east coast may have been ok. Crazy how things changed in a matter of weeks. 

• Options

... here we gooo

I will be amazed if the U.S. doesn't follow right behind you, starting in places like Alabama and moving out into many other places in America.  Too many foolish people are basically saying "Bring it on!" and the coronavirus is going to say, "Here I come!"  Unsettling times.

• Options
    Lots of excellent information here, but with rather gloomy stats for the U.S.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    PJ is playing a virtual concert on 6/10 at 7pm with Dave Matthews and more for COVID relief.  Goal is $65M
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    no new cases in manitoba in several days, 7 deaths total. phase two of opening back up june 1. bars and restaurants at 50% capacity, swimming pools and gyms, etc.

i'm probably still going to work from home until mid-fall, which is fucking fantastic. (serious). i love this. spinning vinyl while i work, having lunch with my kids on the patio. zero commute. roll out of bed 30 seconds before work. this is the best ever. no annoying corporate bullshit to deal with every day. no interruptions or drama. MY OWN BATHROOM. 

i could really get used to this on a permanent basis. 
    I feel this way about teaching, too. It's been a great experience 
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    PJ is playing a virtual concert on 6/10 at 7pm with Dave Matthews and more for COVID relief.  Goal is $65M

Cool!

But none of this monkey business, Ed, unless your kids are really tough!

• Options
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    ^ At least 24 days.  Good news, indeed. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    edited May 2020
    dignin said:
    PJNB said:
    Mike D88 said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJNB said:
    For those that do not know my province of 770K has had 122 cases total and no deaths. Our borders are "closed" (you can get in and out if you really want to). If we can not open up no one can and if 2 cases are a cause for enough concern that people think we should shut back down and wait for a vaccine then we have a long road ahead of us. 
    That seems pretty ridiculous to me. More people have probably been hospitalized from spoiled food than that, are they going to lock down until there is a vaccine for bad meat?
    Is food poisoning contagious?

Not the same thing.
    No it’s not contagious. But I still think going on shut down because of 122 cases in a city of 770k is about just as ridiculous. You’re talking shutting down because 0.016% of the population is infected, none of which were fatal. I put that on the same level of stupid as shutting down every time Chipotle has another outbreak of food poisoning.
    I could see banning large gatherings and other small measures, but a shut down would be overkill.
    122 infections becomes 695. Then 3,964. Then 22,594. There's a reason this thing went global.
    That was over a 2 month period so it did not spread like wildfire here. Largely in part of the lockdown as well as how we are geographically set up. Our largest city is under 100,000 people. We have 1 active case right now. I  was not against the initial quarantine even with the numbers as good as they are. There are a lot of Monday morning quarterbacks that look at these numbers and think all of this was not necessary not factoring in that they are as low as they are due to the lockdown.  However I am against locking down again because of a couple of cases in the north part of our province.

I realize that a lot of you are going through hell with this virus in some of your cities but my point was if 2 cases causes enough concern to some people to shut everything down again we have a long road ahead of us until a vaccine comes. I really think this virus is making people go crazy to both extremes. 

I get your point and I don't disagree. My child has been back in daycare for 2 days a week for the past 2 weeks here in southern Alberta. I get that life must go on. I live in a city of around 100,000 with 27 total cases and 8 still active, that we know of.

I just wanted to point out that it's stupid to compare covid to food poisoning (I know you didn't).
    No one compared covid to food poisoning. I said putting a city on lockdown because 0.015% contract the disease without any deaths is stupid. I sarcastically asked if they  would put a city on lockdown because a fast food chain had a food poisoning outbreak. 
    That’s not comparing the two, that’s stating how big of an over reaction shutting down a city over 0.015% is.

its hit different areas differently for different reasons. Not every place needs a complete shut down. Some do.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,123
    bbiggs said:
    ^ At least 24 days.  Good news, indeed. 
    So, it mentions Ohio...but in reality things didn;t break open with lot more people out and about until last week.  May 4th is when some limitations were dropped, but really not 'move the needle' ones.  We have another 2-3 weeks to see the effects.
    hippiemom = goodness
This discussion has been closed.