• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,383
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    I wonder how many cases will spike from all of the recent protests :(
    Minnesota is even saying most of the arrests are people from out of state. I was reliably informed that this sort of thing is extremely dangerous.
    I've heard people say this,  including Trump,  as if it's some sort of mitigating factor or something
     What does it matter where the American protesters live?
    It was a topic of discussion after the Michigan protest. There was deep concern expressed about virus spread because protesters had come from far and wide. This was tongue in cheek.

Meanwhile...

Shocking. Think about it,  it's MSP. Where would these people be driving from to get MSP?  Fargo? Madison?
    It's bizarre that the mayor ran with it. Literally set off a day of conspiracy theories. 
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    I wonder how many cases will spike from all of the recent protests :(
    Minnesota is even saying most of the arrests are people from out of state. I was reliably informed that this sort of thing is extremely dangerous.
    I've heard people say this,  including Trump,  as if it's some sort of mitigating factor or something
     What does it matter where the American protesters live?

More conspiracy fuel. Had a nephew say with a straight face that the big IL prisoner dump was done to spike the Covid numbers. Not bright enough to connect the imaginary dots to the out of state arrestees but I’m sure that’ll come once the script writers at Fox have a day or two to work it in. 
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited June 2020
    Back in the office for the first time since March 23...feels strange...They take our temps when we enter and we are required to wear masks when outside of our work area.  
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    PJPOWER said:
    Back in the office for the first time since March 23...feels strange...They take our temps when we enter and we are required to wear masks when outside of our work area.  
    Good news, stay safe.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,019
    PJPOWER said:
    We have to go in tomorrow and it is the same deal.  Stay safe bud.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    As discussed ad nauseum in another thread...you're a teacher...

...are kids coming back to the classroom? On June 1?  Wild.

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,019
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    As discussed ad nauseum in another thread...you're a teacher...

...are kids coming back to the classroom? On June 1?  Wild.

Sorry for not elaborating.  We have to go in tomorrow for end of the year procedures.  Clean up our classrooms, put things away, etc. 
    Teachers also have to post locker combos outside our door along with a box to collect locks.  Students will be coming in over the course of four days (1200 students) at different times to clean our their lockers, return any books, and hand in locks.  Students have to wear a mask and parents are not allowed in.  Students and parents have to then come in June 19th I believe to turn in their computer (we've had one on one computing for approx. seven years).
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Thanks, it’s a bit surreal.  The vibe around here is that everything is good to go, but I can totally envision us going back home in a couple weeks after another outbreak.  Just taking things one day at a time...
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,300
    since Ohio has partially opened, we have seen a pretty big jump in business( ltl trucking). We haven't totally recovered lost business but have made a good start to get there.

pre corona my terminal was 72 to 75k in revenue per day. once the shut down happened we dropped to 50k in revenue. this past week we are up to low to mid 60s.

we haven't recalled our furloughed drivers yet. 5 or 7 on days and 2 nights.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,932
    ^ Good info there.  And positive news as well.  Thanks for sharing. 
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Jason P said:
    What is the data from the county you live in?  Per Google which cites Wikipedia (are these what is considered valid source today?). 

my county:  

Population 31,000
    COVID confirmed cases: 70
    COVID confirmed deaths:  2

We are entering stage 3 next week if everything stays on track. 

June 2 update:

Confirmed cases: 79
    Confirmed deaths: 2

We are entering some stage ... who knows ... I feel like everyone said 'fuck it' this past weekend.  Not seeing many masks, but I can't blame anyone as we have been getting shamed for a month and then the entire US decides to literally join arms ... usually not a bad thing!   

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:
    What is the data from the county you live in?  Per Google which cites Wikipedia (are these what is considered valid source today?). 

my county:  

Population 31,000

June 2 update:

We are entering some stage ... who knows ... I feel like everyone said 'fuck it' this past weekend.  Not seeing many masks, but I can't blame anyone as we have been getting shamed for a month and then the entire US decides to literally join arms ... usually not a bad thing!   

My grocery store in St. Paul was 100% masks (not required) on Sunday, just a couple of miles from the epicenter or America's chaos. 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,773
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:

my county:  

Population 31,000

June 2 update:

Masks are the law inside stores in Virginia.  Signs posted everywhere and stores will throw you out. 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:

my county:  

Population 31,000

June 2 update:

Masks are the law inside stores in Virginia.  Signs posted everywhere and stores will throw you out. 
    As they should
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,264
    i wonder if the rona is gonna like all these protests. will know in a couple of weeks. seems to me that people in general have just said fuck it.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    i wonder if the rona is gonna like all these protests. will know in a couple of weeks. seems to me that people in general have just said fuck it.
    yeah the rona caution has been thrown to the wind.  if this thing has the potential to surge back, we just gave it the breeding ground it needed.  shit situation all around.

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    bbiggs said:
    yeah the rona caution has been thrown to the wind.  if this thing has the potential to surge back, we just gave it the breeding ground it needed.  shit situation all around.

Agreed. The coronavirus gives no shits about the righteousness of a cause. Mass gatherings, however important or urgent, still require some care. We'll definitely see some spikes in a couple of weeks. Just as I was concerned with the redneck rallies at state capitols for white hillbillies wanting haircuts, I'm concerned with the protests and rallies happening this week with no consideration for the spread of this virus. They're putting themselves and the communities they're trying to advocate for at risk with the threat of spread. 

Fight the good fight, but be smart and safe.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,383
    It's gonna be really interesting to see what happens. Given that (aside from the looting) it's mostly outside, I think that's a big factor. It seems weird to talk about the protests so narrowly, but it is what it is.

I also wonder how many other people watch this and just say fuck it. Kinda hard to sell people on limiting attendance at birthday parties or funerals when thousands are congregating in the streets.
  • Options
    not to mention the headlines have just about 100% been overtaken with the protests and riots/looting taking place.  i have not heard a thing about the virus on the news as of late.  It seems to have taken a major back seat in the midst of everything else going on.  rightfully so in many ways, but we can't just bury our heads in the sand about the virus either.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,300
    bbiggs said:
    not to mention the headlines have just about 100% been overtaken with the protests and riots/looting taking place.  i have not heard a thing about the virus on the news as of late.  It seems to have taken a major back seat in the midst of everything else going on.  rightfully so in many ways, but we can't just bury our heads in the sand about the virus either.
    well if the media weren't like a soccer game between 5 yr olds they might be able to focus on more than thing...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,922
    edited June 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:

my county:  

Population 31,000

June 2 update:

As they should
    I’ve had to throw 2 people Out of my store  this week. It’s shocking to me. “Adults” having to be told to leave a store because they can’t respect other people and wear a mask because it’s uncomfortable.  
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,264
    jeffbr said:
    bbiggs said:

Agreed. The coronavirus gives no shits about the righteousness of a cause. Mass gatherings, however important or urgent, still require some care. We'll definitely see some spikes in a couple of weeks. Just as I was concerned with the redneck rallies at state capitols for white hillbillies wanting haircuts, I'm concerned with the protests and rallies happening this week with no consideration for the spread of this virus. They're putting themselves and the communities they're trying to advocate for at risk with the threat of spread. 

Fight the good fight, but be smart and safe.
    i guess the choice is one virus vs the other. corona vs systemic racism and police brutality.

i saw a headline this morning that said fauci said that he hasn't met with trump in over 2 weeks.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:

my county:  

Population 31,000

June 2 update:

I'm seeing more wearing masks than not in SW Va but no one being told they have to..Some stores say required on the door and people inside arent wearing them.. I immediately count them as Trump supporters,,

Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,920
    I had to out today to get food.  For me, going out is like a mini reconnaissance mission- swift, accurate, and as untouchable as possible.  Yet I see fewer masks this week than previous weeks.  I, like others, predicted a lax attitude about the virus over a period of time and here we are.  We'll see how the numbers turn.  Got a bad feeling about it though.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    I had to out today to get food.  For me, going out is like a mini reconnaissance mission- swift, accurate, and as untouchable as possible.  Yet I see fewer masks this week than previous weeks.  I, like others, predicted a lax attitude about the virus over a period of time and here we are.  We'll see how the numbers turn.  Got a bad feeling about it though.
    If you’re in an area where people aren’t wearing masks, Brian, then wear an N95 if you have one. If not, I think they’re back on shelves. 

A cloth mask won’t do much to protect you; it’s to protect all those assholes who apparently don’t give a shit about you.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,773
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:

my county:  

Population 31,000

June 2 update:

I'm seeing more wearing masks than not in SW Va but no one being told they have to..Some stores say required on the door and people inside arent wearing them.. I immediately count them as Trump supporters,,

Are you all the way down in Bristol area? SW is like a whole different world than where I am 
  • Options
    Come to think of it, I haven't seen or heard from Dr. Fauci in a week on the news.  Did he slip out the back door while everyone was distracted?  Probably has a fake mustache and sitting in Bermuda right now ...
  • Options
    I don't know if I could have handled living in a city locked down as well as most have.  Stay safe.  Stay positive.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    Jason P said:
    Come to think of it, I haven't seen or heard from Dr. Fauci in a week on the news.  Did he slip out the back door while everyone was distracted?  Probably has a fake mustache and sitting in Bermuda right now ...
    Covid has been cancelled. Trump was right, it magically went away. Therefore his services are no longer needed.
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    edited June 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:

my county:  

Population 31,000

June 2 update:

Are you all the way down in Bristol area? SW is like a whole different world than where I am 

Not quite..Roanoke...hour or two  away from a little bit of everything...Really a nice place nestled in a valley that has grown quite a bit over the years.
    Post edited by wndowpayne on
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

This discussion has been closed.