The coronavirus

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,309
    Each of us, as citizens of our respective countries, communities and families have a choice right now.  You can be a cynic and negative about everything that is wrong with our country and world, or you can be positive and focus on what is actually good about it and what we do well...which is a fucking lot.  That's something you control with your families, co-workers and neighbors.  If you think the world is ending, well it's probably fucking ending for you.  I'm not going down that path.  
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,382
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    static111 said:
    DewieCox said:
    It doesn’t take a best case scenario regarding  a cure to ovecome the worst case scenario for outbreak and managing the virus. 

If it comes to selecting a demographic to die then either we have need of a massive restructuring of society or to let the world burn. 
    Additionally I’m not advocating selecting anyone to die that is crazy. I’m more for if we are on the verge of societal collapse due to the economics of a shut down maybe the best answer is to just let nature run it’s course.  This would only be a worst case scenario decision.
    This reminds of Auschwitz.  They are old, they can’t contribute, please go to the left.  You are healthy, you can work, go to the right.  
    Agreed, and we're not even close to that point.  We value all lives in our culture. 
    You must not live in America.  
    I actually do.  And the doctors, nurses, representatives and people I interact with every day live in a culture where we value all lives.  So if you want to make the argument to separate the weak from the strong, go ahead and make the argument.  I don't want to hear about Trump, or Rand Paul or any other bullshit unless you want to start the rationing of services argument.  Is that where you are?  Full out fucking panic mode?
    WTF is wrong with some of you people and your unmitigated cynicism and willingness the throw everything out the window as soon as stress starts.  
    +1
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    edited March 2020
    America where we value all lives but we value some lives more than others at different times based on political expediency.  that's where I live.  I don't think anyone has ever said that we should make any of those decisions unless absolutely necessary.  I'm sorry I don't have the faith that the government here is going to do anything to help.  Some people are going to lose everything this month more the following and more after that.  I'm not talking about the people who took a hit at the stock market, or IRAs, I'm talking about people living paycheck to paycheck, or people that only have enough socked away to cover a couple months without being able to earn anything, not to mention people that are in a worse state than that.  The real question is that at the current pace we are on how long can we sustain a shut down.  Even if the government puts a hold on rent payments or bills where will that leave us 4,6, 8,12 months down the road?  You think that corporations, banks and landlords are going to forgive those months? no. Thus some people will have to spend the better part of the rest of the year once they can earn, to pay their past due bills, which will lead to a longer economic recovery.  That is if anything is done at all with the current bunch of political charlatans that are running the show on a federal level.  Of course it isn't going to be an easy choice for anyone, you think I want my mom or dad to die, or yours or you or anyone that as at risk, hell no.  There are millions of people economically vulnerable right now without the means to isolate and weather this quarantine.  What are we supposed to do....go further and further into the hole, until what point?  I realize some people may be able to handle financial inactivity for 12-18 months, but a majority of Americans, and global citizens can't.
    Post edited by static111 on
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    static111 said:
    DewieCox said:
    It doesn’t take a best case scenario regarding  a cure to ovecome the worst case scenario for outbreak and managing the virus. 

If it comes to selecting a demographic to die then either we have need of a massive restructuring of society or to let the world burn. 
    Additionally I’m not advocating selecting anyone to die that is crazy. I’m more for if we are on the verge of societal collapse due to the economics of a shut down maybe the best answer is to just let nature run it’s course.  This would only be a worst case scenario decision.
    This reminds of Auschwitz.  They are old, they can’t contribute, please go to the left.  You are healthy, you can work, go to the right.  
    Agreed, and we're not even close to that point.  We value all lives in our culture. 
    I actually do.  And the doctors, nurses, representatives and people I interact with every day live in a culture where we value all lives.  So if you want to make the argument to separate the weak from the strong, go ahead and make the argument.  I don't want to hear about Trump, or Rand Paul or any other bullshit unless you want to start the rationing of services argument.  Is that where you are?  Full out fucking panic mode?
    WTF is wrong with some of you people and your unmitigated cynicism and willingness the throw everything out the window as soon as stress starts.  
    I'm not in panic mode currently, just looking at the longterm scenarios that are likely to play out. Fuck Trump Rand Paul and the like.  I'm 100% for rationing and suspending all payments and forgiveness of payments necessitated by the corona inactivity.  I'm at a place where if this goes on longer than 2-3 months my family is devastated financially if there is no plan.  Not to mention there are millions who have it worse than me and mine.  As of now I am hopeful that this doesn't last that long and that we will get through it.  Get back to me in a couple months if this goes on and I will update you if there isn't a safety net in place by then.  As of now I have much cynicism in one department, the government or corporate america doing the right thing to take care of the virus and the societal fallout from it.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    Ontario will be releasing a list of essential business’s that can remain open...the rest must close...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    static111 said:
    DewieCox said:

I'm not in panic mode currently, just looking at the longterm scenarios that are likely to play out. Fuck Trump Rand Paul and the like.  I'm 100% for rationing and suspending all payments and forgiveness of payments necessitated by the corona inactivity.  I'm at a place where if this goes on longer than 2-3 months my family is devastated financially if there is no plan.  Not to mention there are millions who have it worse than me and mine.  As of now I am hopeful that this doesn't last that long and that we will get through it.  Get back to me in a couple months if this goes on and I will update you if there isn't a safety net in place by then.  As of now I have much cynicism in one department, the government or corporate america doing the right thing to take care of the virus and the societal fallout from it.
    I'm talking about the rationing of healthcare, not debt.  
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,111
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    And by the way...the fact that these fucking clowns in Washington can't come to terms on a deal is disgusting.  We're facing the greatest crisis of any of our lifetimes, yet it's the same old political bullshit by these ass holes.  Both parties disgust me and they continue to do the same old political tap dance with millions of lives and livelihoods at stake.  Get a clue, Washington.
    It's insane. I can't always tell what is just an idea floated vs. what has actually appeared in a draft of a bill, but it seems both sides are trying to jam unrelated pet policy ideas into this and insisting it's tangentially related. Extremely frustrating that these people cannot resist power plays at every turn.
    And this is the sort of shit I'm talking about.

Exhibit A: Republicans are dogshit

Exhibit B: Democrats are dogshit

• dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    static111 said:
    DewieCox said:

I think North Americans should be mentally prepared for that possibility. I don't think anyone should panic, but get in that headspace so if it does come to that, we don't panic.
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    static111 said:
    DewieCox said:

My bad.  Rationing of healthcare will probably have to happen with our fearless leader at the helm.  I still think some thought and action needs to go into what to do about the economic fallout/bailout for the poor and working class will be. 
    Scio me nihil scire

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,569
    mrussel1 said:
    Each of us, as citizens of our respective countries, communities and families have a choice right now.  You can be a cynic and negative about everything that is wrong with our country and world, or you can be positive and focus on what is actually good about it and what we do well...which is a fucking lot.  That's something you control with your families, co-workers and neighbors.  If you think the world is ending, well it's probably fucking ending for you.  I'm not going down that path.  
    This is what I'm focused on these days.  It's true certainly true that as a nation, as a world,  we have our faults- some of them are huge and on-going- but this is not a time for quarreling and being in a doom and gloom state of mind.   We can look back at our history and see other times of great distress- the Spanish Flu, the World Wars, the Dust Bowl, the Great Depression.  During those times, some people gave up hope or jumped off bridges or did terrible things.  But many people (I'm thinking of my folks and people like them during WWII), bucked up, knuckled down and took care of business the best they could.

This is our time.  We are in one of those monumental moments in history.  We can do it right and goo down in the history books and look like courageous people, or we can buckle under, fair poorly,  and look bad.  I'd like to see us do it right and not cave in to despair. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    This is what I'm focused on these days.  It's true certainly true that as a nation, as a world,  we have our faults- some of them are huge and on-going- but this is not a time for quarreling and being in a doom and gloom state of mind.   We can look back at our history and see other times of great distress- the Spanish Flu, the World Wars, the Dust Bowl, the Great Depression.  During those times, some people gave up hope or jumped off bridges or did terrible things.  But many people (I'm thinking of my folks and people like them during WWII), bucked up, knuckled down and took care of business the best they could.

This is our time.  We are in one of those monumental moments in history.  We can do it right and goo down in the history books and look like courageous people, or we can buckle under, fair poorly,  and look bad.  I'd like to see us do it right and not cave in to despair. 

Yes!  That's exactly what I mean.  This can be our time.  

I do admit that the song Life During Wartime by the Talking Heads has been in my head for a few days...
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,054

Truck manufacturer Scania has sent production and logistics personnel to Getinge, to help the medical technology company to rapidly increase the production of respirators.

- We all need to help out, says Scania's CEO Henrik Henriksson.

/.../

Of the thousands of Scania employees who are now laid off when the factories are closed, some 50 people have been assigned to work for Getinge to increase their production of respirators.

- It's about Getinge having to increase its production dramatically and then we would like to help and we have good skills that are available when it comes to running logistics flows, says Henriksson.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,415
    static111 said:
    DewieCox said:

i kind of agree and it's not a popular opinion but it's honest.  at some point the economic impact worldwide and in this country may have to take precedence. if not you are looking at depression level issues here.  you just cannot have people not working for more than a few months.  if this shutdown continues into June/July you are looking at the highest rate of employment we will ever see, people unable to pay bills, afford food and basic necessities and losing their homes. i'm not an anxious person but i can't help be quite anxious about this.  i fear the future right now honestly.  it's scary.  the cold war and nuclear war, terrorism didn't give me the anxiety this is right now mostly because what and when is the end game here.

brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

Think about it for a second, this is for the time since World War 2 that this country has to sacrifice for the whole.  Slowly but surely we are gonna do the right thing.  "Be an AmeriCAN, not an AmeriCAN'T!"  (credit to Andrew Cuomo)
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,569
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

I do admit that the song Life During Wartime by the Talking Heads has been in my head for a few days...

An appropriate song for these days, M! 

We can do this, people!  Stay strong!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,831
    Lizard said:
    Anybody following the link between ibuprofen and the virus?
    https://www.ecowatch.com/ibuprofen-and-covid-19-2645558875.html
    anyone see that loss of sense of smell/taste could mean you are a carrier even if no other symptoms...
    https://www.sciencealert.com/mild-covid-19-might-cause-a-lost-of-smell-or-taste

Yeah, a friend is experience that but has the other symptoms.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

Not to make light of the situation, but I couldn't help but hearing Sean Astin's voice in The Goonies.  "Down here it's our time, it's our time down here.  That's all over the second we ride up Troy's bucket."  :)
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,831
    Olympics postponed.  I remember the original COVID thread on the porch about the NA tour.   People got blasted for thinking this would delay the shows or Olympics.  I wish they were right. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,002
    Olympics postponed.  I remember the original COVID thread on the porch about the NA tour.   People got blasted for thinking this would delay the shows or Olympics.  I wish they were right. 
    Hell, I never thought it would get this big.  I didn't think it was going to be a big deal and I was wrong...
  • Olympics postponed.  I remember the original COVID thread on the porch about the NA tour.   People got blasted for thinking this would delay the shows or Olympics.  I wish they were right. 
    Hell, I never thought it would get this big.  I didn't think it was going to be a big deal and I was wrong...

I thought it would be thing but never imagined it would get like this.  Thought people were overreacting like they did for the various epidemics that never slammed us. 
    Boy, was I wrong.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    edited March 2020
    I thought it would stop when all the people coming back from italy etc had been taken care of and the people they have had contact with had been checked. 

Was not expecting this huge general spread it and it destroying the economy like it has. 

In Sweden.

I thought Trump would somehow fuck it up in the states. But not like this.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    I thought it would stop when all the people coming back from italy etc had been taken care of and the people they have had contact with had been checked. 

Was not expecting this huge general spread it and it destroying the economy like it has. 

In Sweden.

You want a blast from the past? Go back and read through the first couple pages in this thread. And then read from around the time PJ announced the postponed tour. We've come a very long way in a month.
    edited March 2020
    nvm
    edited March 2020
    dignin said:

In Sweden.

You want a blast from the past? Go back and read through the first couple pages in this thread. And then read from around the time PJ announced the postponed tour. We've come a very long way in a month.
    You and me were right as early as on page 2. 

Others weren't 

But we were god damnit.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

Think about it for a second, this is for the time since World War 2 that this country has to sacrifice for the whole.  Slowly but surely we are gonna do the right thing.  "Be an AmeriCAN, not an AmeriCAN'T!"  (credit to Andrew Cuomo)
    Sounds like you are supporting some good ol' social democracy. 

Funny how that goes.
  • dignin said:

In Sweden.

Was on a video call with my CEO earlier today and we were speaking about a call we had on March 4th, during which we held some pretty strong opinions....and here, less than 20 days later we hold some pretty strong opinions that are pretty much the opposite of where we were then.
    Had heard so many cries that this was coming in the past and it never did, thankfully.
    Luck ran out and we are dealing with it now.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

Sounds like you are supporting some good ol' social democracy. 

Funny how that goes.
    Do explain. 
    Watching the live stream on the corona virus bill while I am off work due to corona related delays.  Our representatives here in the US are despicable. This is really showing the ineptitude of our system. Completely embarrassing.
    Scio me nihil scire

dignin said:

In Sweden.

Was on a video call with my CEO earlier today and we were speaking about a call we had on March 4th, during which we held some pretty strong opinions....and here, less than 20 days later we hold some pretty strong opinions that are pretty much the opposite of where we were then.
    Had heard so many cries that this was coming in the past and it never did, thankfully.
    Luck ran out and we are dealing with it now.
    Yeah, it's pretty mind blowing. I took seriously what some of the experts were warning, but still really hoped it could be controlled somehow. Wishful thinking.

This discussion has been closed.