The coronavirus

Comments

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,111
    edited March 2020
    bbiggs said:
    And by the way...the fact that these fucking clowns in Washington can't come to terms on a deal is disgusting.  We're facing the greatest crisis of any of our lifetimes, yet it's the same old political bullshit by these ass holes.  Both parties disgust me and they continue to do the same old political tap dance with millions of lives and livelihoods at stake.  Get a clue, Washington.
    It's insane. I can't always tell what is just an idea floated vs. what has actually appeared in a draft of a bill, but it seems both sides are trying to jam unrelated pet policy ideas into this and insisting it's tangentially related. Extremely frustrating that these people cannot resist power plays at every turn.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    And by the way...the fact that these fucking clowns in Washington can't come to terms on a deal is disgusting.  We're facing the greatest crisis of any of our lifetimes, yet it's the same old political bullshit by these ass holes.  Both parties disgust me and they continue to do the same old political tap dance with millions of lives and livelihoods at stake.  Get a clue, Washington.
    It's insane. I can't always tell what is just an idea floated vs. what has actually appeared in a draft of a bill, but it seems both sides are trying to jam unrelated pet policy ideas into this and insisting it's tangentially related. Extremely frustrating that these people cannot resist power plays at every turn.

Perfectly said.  It infuriates me.  It further confirms that our political system is broken beyond repair.
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,386
    edited March 2020
    tish said:
    Going back to Trumps statement: After 15 days the country will assess if the cure is worse than the disease.

This sounds reasonable and maybe hearing this will help all the stir crazy people at home who are doing the right thing.

An argument for economy over disease:

With earth's population saturated, perhaps the elderly, who helped run the environment into the ground, could sacrifice for the next generations, giving youth a better chance of survival?
    The problem I have with the youth is them not taking this so seriously.  
    Yes, our PM is launching a media campaign today so that they are aware of the risk they are posing to or elderly, ill, health care workers, and front-line essential goods workers. Our Emergency Act is still not invoked to stop them.

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    static111 said:
    DewieCox said:
    static111 said:
    tish said:
    Going back to Trumps statement: After 15 days the country will assess if the cure is worse than the disease.

This sounds reasonable and maybe hearing this will help all the stir crazy people at home who are doing the right thing.

With earth's population saturated, perhaps the elderly, who helped run the environment into the ground, could sacrifice for the next generations, giving youth a better chance of survival?

Not a bad argument but be prepared to be vilified.  
    Yes, because its fucking disgusting.
    To your worldview
    I’m putting people with that worldview to the grinder before I put the elderly.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    static111 said:
    DewieCox said:
    static111 said:
    tish said:

To your worldview
    Some may consider you elderly in their worldview.   Are you prepared to sacrifice?  

funny how perception works.  
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    DewieCox said:
    static111 said:
    DewieCox said:
    static111 said:
    tish said:

To your worldview
    I’m putting people with that worldview to the grinder before I put the elderly.
    It’s a question that is probably gonna have to be asked if there isn’t a cure in t long term  and some form of help from the government short term.  Or do you think people can go on with this uncertainty indefinitely?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,252
    tish said:

You do realize killing or letting old people die will do nothing for the overall population, right? 
    If your goal is really population control you’d have to kill people before they reproduce.
    This has been attempted before. Maybe I should give you time to research Hitler and see how that turned out.
    It doesn’t take a best case scenario regarding  a cure to ovecome the worst case scenario for outbreak and managing the virus. 

If it comes to selecting a demographic to die then either we have need of a massive restructuring of society or to let the world burn. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,111
    In terms of how hard it's gonna hit you, age is just a risk factor, right? From everything I've consumed, I'd rather be a reasonably healthy 70yo than a 38yo with asthma, no?
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,054
    edited March 2020
    Just got asked by my boss about "permiterring" (can't find an English word for it, "layoff" is wrong I think...) meaning I would be forced to lower my pay to 93% or something but work 80%. For some weeks going forward. if that is the case.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    DewieCox said:
    It doesn’t take a best case scenario regarding  a cure to ovecome the worst case scenario for outbreak and managing the virus. 

If it comes to selecting a demographic to die then either we have need of a massive restructuring of society or to let the world burn. 
    I agree with you there.  A lot of philosophical questions will be buzzing around and have to be answered. 
    Scio me nihil scire

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    DewieCox said:

Exactly.

It being deemed unpalatable but necessary (as has been mentioned) doesn't fly with me.
    DewieCox said:

Additionally I’m not advocating selecting anyone to die that is crazy. I’m more for if we are on the verge of societal collapse due to the economics of a shut down maybe the best answer is to just let nature run it’s course.  This would only be a worst case scenario decision.
    Scio me nihil scire

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,002
    mace1229 said:
    tish said:

You do realize killing or letting old people die will do nothing for the overall population, right? 
    If your goal is really population control you’d have to kill people before they reproduce.
    This has been attempted before. Maybe I should give you time to research Hitler and see how that turned out.
    China had that 1 baby only rule for a while too.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,382
    static111 said:
    DewieCox said:

Additionally I’m not advocating selecting anyone to die that is crazy. I’m more for if we are on the verge of societal collapse due to the economics of a shut down maybe the best answer is to just let nature run it’s course.  This would only be a worst case scenario decision.
    This reminds of Auschwitz.  They are old, they can’t contribute, please go to the left.  You are healthy, you can work, go to the right.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,309
    mcgruff10 said:
    static111 said:
    DewieCox said:

This reminds of Auschwitz.  They are old, they can’t contribute, please go to the left.  You are healthy, you can work, go to the right.  
    Agreed, and we're not even close to that point.  We value all lives in our culture. 
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    DewieCox said:

Places in Italy are making those decisions as we speak, like if you're over 60 you don't get a ventilator.

I don't think that makes them bad people.
    edited March 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    static111 said:
    DewieCox said:

Agreed, and we're not even close to that point.  We value all lives in our culture. 
    I think that can be debated. 

But anyhow --

-- We have reached the milestone of  100,000 people getting free from Corona in the world!

https://youtu.be/pyQF7lUaZfQ

Now lets get to 200,000!!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    static111 said:
    DewieCox said:

You must not live in America.  
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    static111 said:
    DewieCox said:

I think he's from Sweden. Not sure though.
    dignin said:
    DewieCox said:

Places in Italy are making those decisions as we speak, like if you're over 60 you don't get a ventilator.

That sucks but doesn’t seem the same to me. 
    New Jersey has the second most cases in the nation.   Holy shit.  
    DewieCox said:
    dignin said:
    DewieCox said:

the only thing different is the scale
    Scio me nihil scire

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,569
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    static111 said:
    DewieCox said:

Where do you live?  Here in California, our governor and others have been doing great work to look out for everyone including the more vulnerable- those with health problems, us "senior citizens", and the homeless.  I'm sorry if you live in a state where those people are being shoved in the furnace, so to speak.  But that's not all of America.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,613
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    static111 said:
    DewieCox said:

Agreed, and we're not even close to that point.  We value all lives in our culture

not so sure about that.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited March 2020
    static111 said:
    DewieCox said:
    dignin said:
    DewieCox said:

the only thing different is the scale
    No, one scenario seems necessitated by a lack of preparedness, one with a total indifference for human life.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
    We now have a drive up testing center at the school I work at.  
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Anybody following the link between ibuprofen and the virus?
    https://www.ecowatch.com/ibuprofen-and-covid-19-2645558875.html
    anyone see that loss of sense of smell/taste could mean you are a carrier even if no other symptoms...
    https://www.sciencealert.com/mild-covid-19-might-cause-a-lost-of-smell-or-taste
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,309
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    static111 said:
    DewieCox said:

I actually do.  And the doctors, nurses, representatives and people I interact with every day live in a culture where we value all lives.  So if you want to make the argument to separate the weak from the strong, go ahead and make the argument.  I don't want to hear about Trump, or Rand Paul or any other bullshit unless you want to start the rationing of services argument.  Is that where you are?  Full out fucking panic mode?
    WTF is wrong with some of you people and your unmitigated cynicism and willingness the throw everything out the window as soon as stress starts.  
This discussion has been closed.