The coronavirus

Comments

• SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    DewieCox said:
    CM189191 said:
    Who cares what that old hag has said? Contributing to the division is what got us Trimp.

check the date and she was right
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,613
    Same is happening in Australia. So worrying seeing very long queues outside social security offices around the country waiting to ask for money after losing their jobs. It's the depression again.
    you dont have online services across most govt agencies?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    mickeyrat said:
    Same is happening in Australia. So worrying seeing very long queues outside social security offices around the country waiting to ask for money after losing their jobs. It's the depression again.
    We do but it crashed today as everyone was trying to get on. Then the idiot minister in charge lied saying it was a cyber attack only to retract that in parliament later in the day.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    Smellyman said:
    DewieCox said:
    CM189191 said:
    Who cares what that old hag has said? Contributing to the division is what got us Trimp.

check the date and she was right
    I seen the date. Still a dumb post.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,613
    edited March 2020
    mickeyrat said:
    We do but it crashed today as everyone was trying to get on. Then the idiot minister in charge lied saying it was a cyber attack only to retract that in parliament later in the day.
    it just takes patience.....

so we can hope that as a result of all this, govt's and the public learn and implement the abundance of lessons that are being provided in this....
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,006

I get people worrying about the economy & the long term affect this is going to have, but what's the point if our health care system gets overrun and collapses?

We really need to start listening to the medical professionals and accept that halting the spread of this should be everyone's #1 priority.

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    it just takes patience.....

so we can hope that as a result of all this, govt's and the public learn and implement the abundance of lessons that are being provided in this....
    Adding more phones and upgrading IT would help. It's hard to get through in general.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    DewieCox said:
    CM189191 said:

She was 100% correct.

DewieCox said:
    CM189191 said:

She was 100% correct.

Yeah, who cares? So we’re millions of other people. She’s needs flushed with the rest of these assholes.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,111

I get people worrying about the economy & the long term affect this is going to have, but what's the point if our health care system gets overrun and collapses?

We really need to start listening to the medical professionals and accept that halting the spread of this should be everyone's #1 priority.

Our health care system won't collapse. The risk is that it gets overwhelmed by a surge of critically ill patients and deaths spike because of a capacity issue. That is a horrible outcome, but just to be clear about what we're up against. 
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,798
    edited March 2020
    I do agree with the comment that the quarantine seems half assed right now.

It needs to be all or none.  Like I said before, grocery stores and gas stations are still packed every day.  So it doesn’t make sense to harm small businesses but then allow people to transmit the disease every day trying to stock up on toilet paper.  

Either do a full on quarantine, or let people live as they choose.  I don’t agree with the half-quarantine that we are doing right now.
    Keep drive thru pharmacies open for essential medications and that’s it.  
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,543
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,382
    Happy Monday everyone!  Some good news: my old neighbor has been in a coma for 12 days but is finally showing a little improvement.  Fingers crossed he comes home soon.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,798
    tbergs said:
    And limit the number of people who can enter the grocery store at one time
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,252
    edited March 2020
    tbergs said:
    And limit the number of people who can enter the grocery store at one time
    Costco does that by making them line up in  a zig zag line outside. So it’s actually worse than just letting them in.
    But people are still seeing crowded grocery stores? Our haven’t been crowded for a week. 
  • tbergs said:

What I believe in, based on reading all sorts of approaches as well.  I think there needs to be additional financial action in combo with this, and perhaps a way to facilitate the essentials vs. letting folks get them...but this needs to tighten up or it is not going to be as effective as it needs to be.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,386
    edited March 2020
    SC. I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. I don't suffer from ageism in the workplace; rather singlemompoorhealthpovertyism, when I used to show up to work at the school sick to save my sick days for the kid. (Pre-covid).

Here's my fav political cartoon:

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    As in, STOP EATING MEAT = STOP EMERGING VIRUS PANDEMICS

lowest common denominator
    No need to use this disaster to push your vegan agenda.
    People have been eating meat for thousands of years and there has not been something like this before.
    How about Chinese people stop eating bats and pangolins and all other animals that should not be eaten.
    Like you have the right to be an authority on what "should be eaten" and not.

And no need to use this disaster to skew truths others post because it doesn't fit into your lifestyle or limited perspective or whatever.
    pot meets kettle.  
    Exactly. He's been pushing his vegan agenda in a few posts now.
    Militant vegans are the worst. 
    It is pretty cool that you knew what I was talking about.  You never know what expressions are known where.  
    I ve been watching “opal hunters” lately, I freaking love hearing you aussies talk!  Such an amazing accent.  
    You gotta look up Ozzy Man Reviews.
    Hilarious.  He's most famous for Destination Fucked videos, but his animal commentaries are his best work.  The koala in the guys car is my favorite.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    How effective would a total lockdown of the 25 or 50 Largest metro areas be? Small towns and counties could be gutted economically and could very possibly  go through this virtually  untouched by the virus. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    edited March 2020
    pjl44 said:

Our health care system won't collapse. The risk is that it gets overwhelmed by a surge of critically ill patients and deaths spike because of a capacity issue. That is a horrible outcome, but just to be clear about what we're up against. 
    Sounds like close enough to a collapse to me.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    William Hahne, deputy party leader for right-wing extremist Alternatives for Sweden, resigns from the party board, he announces on Facebook.

Last week Hahne received massive criticism after he started selling face protection against corona for 249 SEK each.

“I choose to do what I believe is best for Alternatives for Sweden in this situation and it is to leave the party board. While I understand that the party does not benefit from being mixed up with my private company, I maintain that no one would have been better off in a scenario where I had not imported these shortcomings to Sweden - on the contrary, ”he writes.

S O C I A L I S M  AND  M O R A L S  GETTING IN THE WAY OF THE MARKET ECONOMY!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,002
    tish said:
    SC. I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. I don't suffer from ageism in the workplace; rather singlemompoorhealthpovertyism, when I used to show up to work at the school sick to save my sick days for the kid. (Pre-covid).

Love the hair!
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,314

So - it's obvious that the medical professionals are going to focus solely on the medical side...just as the financial people are going to only focus on the financial side.

There are decisions that impact lives (and potentially life and death for both issues).  Those are tough decisions for sure.  At this point, and with how the US and Europe are, I think it's important to do 100% medical as the priority with the others doing what they can to help miminze the impact.
    hippiemom = goodness

Saving human lives should take priority over maintaining the economic status quo.

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,543
    DewieCox said:
    How effective would a total lockdown of the 25 or 50 Largest metro areas be? Small towns and counties could be gutted economically and could very possibly  go through this virtually  untouched by the virus. 
    The problem is that people have already spread it across rural communities as well. It's too late to just shut down the big metro areas. That may have been effective 2 weeks ago, but not anymore. In MN, we've seen it spread to counties further and further away from the metro everyday, and again, that's just confirmed cases. We know the shit is everywhere and 10x as prevalent as confirmed.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331

Saving human lives should take priority over maintaining the economic status quo.

I agree, but unfortunately human lives do hang in the balance because of their economic plight.

It plays a part.
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,386
    edited March 2020
    tish said:

Love the hair!
    That's your takeaway? Lol. Jk
    Thank-you.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,382
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    As in, STOP EATING MEAT = STOP EMERGING VIRUS PANDEMICS

lowest common denominator
    No need to use this disaster to push your vegan agenda.
    People have been eating meat for thousands of years and there has not been something like this before.
    How about Chinese people stop eating bats and pangolins and all other animals that should not be eaten.
    Like you have the right to be an authority on what "should be eaten" and not.

And no need to use this disaster to skew truths others post because it doesn't fit into your lifestyle or limited perspective or whatever.
    pot meets kettle.  
    Exactly. He's been pushing his vegan agenda in a few posts now.
    Militant vegans are the worst. 
    It is pretty cool that you knew what I was talking about.  You never know what expressions are known where.  
    I ve been watching “opal hunters” lately, I freaking love hearing you aussies talk!  Such an amazing accent.  
    You gotta look up Ozzy Man Reviews.
    Hilarious.  He's most famous for Destination Fucked videos, but his animal commentaries are his best work.  The koala in the guys car is my favorite.
    I'll check it out!  Thanks.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    dignin said:

I agree, but unfortunately human lives do hang in the balance because of their economic plight.

It plays a part.

I understand that & don't disagree, but it would appear the more immediate need is helping the people on the front lines of this battle, and that would be the health care professionals who are begging people to stay home.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,252

But you don’t think an economic collapse will also take lives? An economic collapse will mean less health care and even unhealthier lifestyles as people go back to eating $0.99 fast food deals instead of making a healthier choice. Not to mention stress and anxiety, being unable to retire, will all take tolls on people’s physical health.
    we do need to consider a balance and at what point we will be harming ourselves more through this partial shutdown.
This discussion has been closed.