The coronavirus

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,054
    A total of 27 people have died as a result of the virus in Sweden after several new reported cases on Monday.

One of the intensive care providers in Sweden right now is a 31-year-old pregnant woman.

The Medical Association warns that 6 of the 9 who died in Stockholm are Swedish somali, reports SVT.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,309
    A total of 27 people have died as a result of the virus in Sweden after several new reported cases on Monday.

One of the intensive care providers in Sweden right now is a 31-year-old pregnant woman.

The Medical Association warns that 6 of the 9 who died in Stockholm are Swedish somali, reports SVT.
    Is that because they are in a tight knit community or something?
    edited March 2020
    mrussel1 said:

Is that because they are in a tight knit community or something?
    The headline is now changed, to 6 out of 15. (as in, people are dropping off quickly in Sthlm)

Here is an explanation from the article:

According to Jihan Mohamed, a member of the board of the Swedish Somali Medical Association, several of them had underlying illnesses.

- When it spread to Sweden, there was not so much information in Somali and many lived as usual, says Jihan Mohamed, board member of the association, to SVT's Agenda.

According to Jihan Mohamed of the Swedish Somali Medical Association, five of the six deceased Swedish males lived in the Järva area in northwest Stockholm, while the sixth lived in Järfälla municipality.

- I don't know why the Järva area stands out when it comes to deceased people in Covid-19, but many live narrowly here. Several generations can live in the same apartment and it can play a part. At the same time, we also know that public health is generally worse in vulnerable areas like Järva, says Jihan Mohamed, to SVT's reporter Rebecca Randhawa.

Johan Mohamed also says that cultural aspects may have weighed in.

- In the Somali culture it is important to socialize, support and visit each other, especially if someone is ill. When the virus spread to Sweden, there was not much information in Somali and many people lived as usual, he tells SVT News.

The Swedish Somali Medical Association has now released information about the virus in Somali.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Aftonbladet also reported chaos in Stockholm traffic. A nurse who took a bus from Södertälje in the morning tells the newspaper:

- I listened to the Prime Minister's speech yesterday, that everyone should take their responsibility and keep their distance. So I was absolutely amazed. It was completely packed, I have never been aware that it was so packed in rush hour traffic. I do not have such a job where you can work at home, I have no driver's license and no choice.
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    I live across the street from a Somali Mall and mosque here in Minneapolis. It's a BIG social center for the population. It's been dead quiet, eerily quiet for a couple weeks now.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,280
    Unless I missed it, I don’t see much outrage here about the bill that was held up today. Weird. 
    Why? 
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,831
    nicknyr15 said:
    Unless I missed it, I don’t see much outrage here about the bill that was held up today. Weird. 
    Why? 
    Because only republicans are obstructionists. Duh!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Why? 
    Because only republicans are obstructionists. Duh!
    Take another night or day and hammer out more details.  One day doesn't isn't make or break.  Get the bill right. 
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    Put these old fucks out to pasture. 
    DewieCox said:
    You should run for office.  
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    nicknyr15 said:
    Why? 

I'm outraged.  Fuck both parties. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,111
    nicknyr15 said:
    Why? 
    Exactly 
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Why? 

It’s disgusting.
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Why? 

nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Why? 

It’s disgusting.
    clip clop
    nice horsehoes

This bill was designed to fail by the GOP so they could blame the DNC.  You fell for it hook, line and sinker.
    They could have easily divided this up into manageable smaller simple bills and pass them individually.
    Instead it was written by the GOP as one big bloated corpse, full of corporate hand outs with complete lack of transparency.  

.....but tell me again how both sides are bad.....
    CM189191 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Why? 

nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Why? 

It’s disgusting.
    clip clop
    nice horsehoes

This bill was designed to fail by the GOP so they could blame the DNC.  You fell for it hook, line and sinker.
    They could have easily divided this up into manageable smaller simple bills and pass them individually.
    Instead it was written by the GOP as one big bloated corpse, full of corporate hand outs with complete lack of transparency.  

Nice to get such a definitive answer from the authority of AMT. we are all so grateful for your time. 
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,268
    edited March 2020

CM189191 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Why? 

nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Why? 

It’s disgusting.
    clip clop
    nice horsehoes

Do you really believe one side is the cause for all of the problems in this country? I think it is time you take the blinders off.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,382
    edited March 2020
    This is what I don’t like: 75k in West Virginia is a hell of a lot different than 75k in New Jersey or San Fran.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited March 2020
    JW269453 said:

CM189191 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Why? 

nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Why? 

It’s disgusting.
    clip clop
    nice horsehoes

Do you really believe one side is the cause for all of the problems in this country? I think it is time you take the blinders off.

Let me handle this 

clip clop 
    something something horseshoes

**insert random tweet from a like minded nobody here**
    Post edited by nicknyr15 on
    JW269453 said:

CM189191 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Why? 

nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Why? 

It’s disgusting.
    clip clop
    nice horsehoes

I believe one side is the cause of most of the problems.  

Do you really believe that both sides are equally bad?
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    JW269453 said:

CM189191 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Why? 

nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Why? 

It’s disgusting.
    clip clop
    nice horsehoes

No, but in this particular time there is nobody on the democratic side that is as terrible as McConnell.

The GOP leadership is particularly rotten to the core.
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:

CM189191 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Why? 

nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Why? 

It’s disgusting.
    clip clop
    nice horsehoes

Unequivocally. You might identify with one side more than the other but both sides pull the same kind of bullshit. 
    DewieCox said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:

CM189191 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Why? 

nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Why? 

It’s disgusting.
    clip clop
    nice horsehoes

Unequivocally. You might identify with one side more than the other but both sides pull the same kind of bullshit. 

Amen.

mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:
    Isn’t the minimum age 65?
  • MalrothMalroth Posts: 2,512
    Indiana  goes "stay at home" tomorrow, yet that only affects 1 in three people.
    I work at an appliance store and it is considered essential.  Nothing much will change?
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
    DewieCox said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:

CM189191 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Why? 

nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Why? 

It’s disgusting.
    clip clop
    nice horsehoes

Clip Clop

Nice horseshoes
    Malroth said:
    Indiana  goes "stay at home" tomorrow, yet that only affects 1 in three people.
    I work at an appliance store and it is considered essential.  Nothing much will change?

The businesses that are deemed "essential" is really shocking to me, at least in IL.  I like a beer as much as the next guy, but when I saw a big liquor store chain would remain opened because it was deemed "essential," it quickly struck me how out of touch this state is (and country).  Either shut it all down or don't.  A store that sells nothing but booze is not essential in a crisis like this.
    DewieCox said:
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:
    Isn’t the minimum age 65?
    I'm sure you're right about that.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,666
    New cases and deaths down 2 days in a row in italy.

MayDay10 said:

Thanks for sharing.  I hadn't seen this.  I'll take any positive news I can get these days.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,382
    bbiggs said:
    MayDay10 said:

Thanks for sharing.  I hadn't seen this.  I'll take any positive news I can get these days.

Positive     positive!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
This discussion has been closed.