The coronavirus

Comments

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,386
    edited March 2020
    Jesus Mic, going to the hospital is one of my top 5 c19 fears. Glad she made it in-out with a respirator quickly! I keep telling my kid to play safe n am projecting this fear and perpetuating the anxiety. Crap, I try not to!

Edit: also thanks OP for canada athletic update. Think I'll skip the news tonight.

Sweet dreams.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    glad your wife is home safe, Mickey.  She's gonna be hurting a good while.
    Bravo on eating the pink coleslaw ;)

damn this last week was the LONGEST in my life.  time seemed to have stopped....took a drive and walk in the California poppy fields today...almost seemed like a normal world for a bit.

stay safe E1
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,569
    My wife wanted to cut up some branches (a mix of oak, manzanita and pine branches) for a friend who is dirt poor and need wood for heat.  I hate cutting wood, even with an electric chain saw, because even electrics are still a bit noisy and they're dangerous.  We got the branches cut up and boxed with no injuries and oh man, was I glad.  The last place I want to go to right now is a hospital. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,569
    I was thinking this evening about how this is one of those major times in history.  We're living in one of those big events- things like wars, pestilence, the dust bowl, the great depression- and it really sunk in as to how this is our time.  The people as a whole get through these things and how they do it is a sharp measure of their character.  This is our time to be the best we can be, by doing what we can and what we have to do as best we can and as smart as we can.  We'll get over the shock and this will be what we do now and hopefully, once we can get more of us back to work, we'll work hard, work smart, and help those less fortunate than us. 

Damn Corona virus.  I hope we fucking rock this shit.   I want us to look good in the history books the way my G.I. generation parents look good in the history books.  If we want to, we can do this. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    Fuck the corona virus.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,314
    Fuck the corona virus.
    Agree.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,111
    If you need a laugh to break up the monotony...

Mom is completely broken down. Laid off today after 30 years and the restaurant is closed down. Had my brother, who is off work, call and talk to her. At her age she won't get another job.

The economic crisis and what it will bring - will cause way larger effects than the people dying right now from the disease. It will be crazy.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Same is happening in Australia. So worrying seeing very long queues outside social security offices around the country waiting to ask for money after losing their jobs. It's the depression again.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,280
    Mom is completely broken down. Laid off today after 30 years and the restaurant is closed down. Had my brother, who is off work, call and talk to her. At her age she won't get another job.

The economic crisis and what it will bring - will cause way larger effects than the people dying right now from the disease. It will be crazy.
    I’m so sorry to hear. 
  • First, I'm sorry to hear this about your mom, SC
    Second, I'm guessing if she or someone else in your family died from the disease it would have a way larger effect for you.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • (I would rather be jobless than have someone in my family die)
    (I would rather be jobless than have someone in my family die)
    Isn't that a given? Or what are you trying to say here? 
    pjl44 said:
    We should avoid making cruelly smug posts if someone we don't like tests positive yet also freely acknowledge that Rand Paul is a colossal asshole for not quarantining until he got his results

I absolutely do not want any harm to anyone. If harm must come, if it were towards a libertarian who stood against the initial relief package, who was publicly against stay at home orders, who cries for liberty in the face of a deadly pandemic, I’m not sure if “good” is the right word, it  isn’t, but perhaps that’s a lesson for all in this time of crisis. IIRC your views are supportive of libertarianism and I need to be respectful of that. I don’t think the govt is interested in permanently taking away our liberty, I think their priority is saving lives. But some do have frustration with excessive loyalty to beliefs in face of facts and logic that’s difficult to communicate appropriately 

below is a comment I pulled from a right leaning libertarian forum I posted here the other day . Interesting to consider -

“ It certainly seems like the Constitution is not currently in effect; with the freedom to assemble and the liberty to move about savagely curtailed, and our fundamental rights eroding to nil in the name of public safety. Hardly anyone seems to care either. Fear has swept the country, and the will of the people to resist the hamfist of state has crumpled.

So what threshold did we really cross? How many people need to be in danger before we just quit? Who gets to decide when enough is enough? The media? The trending hashtags? At what point does the constitution no longer impede our collective demands for reactionary government? Do we get a line in the sand?

Going forward, will every flu season inspire quarantines? Will every scary news story demand compliance to the powers that be? Do we just mark the constitution up with a big asterisk that says "Only when things are OK.", or do we just shred the thing altogether?

It's disheartening to see fear as the chief motivating factor for modern society at this point. We are totally vulnerable to the wills of any power capable of convincing the masses that they are in grave danger. We've supplanted self determination and personal responsibility with compliance to a shared narrative framework.

We've come full circle from the age of enlightenment to the dark ages. All it took was the threat of plague. And that's the real cost here.

Lives will be lost, grief will be suffered. But it's the liberty we choose to give away that stains our generation."

There's so much here that I don't know where to start. All I'll say is you are (per usual) dancing around the callous thing you support because you know how bad it sounds to say it plainly (here it's feeling like this is comeuppance for Rand, formerly it was stop-and-frisk). It's using politics as a channel for anger that is exceptionally crueller than any libertarian policy position. 
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    edited March 2020

Agreed and it seems like people think this is less important somehow.  If it goes on with no economic protections the income gap will grow  more will go into poverty and people will spend years digging themselves out of this.  If we don’t revolt once it gets too bad.  Meanwhile the wealthy and upper classes will largely be insulated. 
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    Go back and read your post.

edited March 2020
    (I would rather be jobless than have someone in my family die)

Well, have fun counting the dead bodies and the destruction following the next depression:

And "effect" can be more in a society, than "person dead in hospital bed"
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    Lot of people struggling with their mental health right now. We'll have a pandemic of depression and anxiety soon

Well, have fun counting the dead bodies and the destruction following the next depression:

Now why in the fuck would it be fun to count the dead bodies?
    You really are a piece of work.
    How about you go and find a .gif or meme of someone pulling their head from their own ass?
    Halts maul everyone and leave your waste elsewhere

Sorry, man. That sucks. I can't speak for Sweden, but that balancing you describe is something we're just starting to grapple with here. I don't know what the answer is, but I don't think our current course of action can hold for more than a month or two.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,280
    Lot of people struggling with their mental health right now. We'll have a pandemic of depression and anxiety soon
    100% true. I luckily do not suffer from anxiety and depression but I do feel myself getting bummed out here and there. 
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    CM189191 said:
    Who cares what that old hag has said? Contributing to the division is what got us Trimp.
    edited March 2020
    How about you go and find a .gif or meme of someone pulling their head from their own ass?
    If you give me the video of you doing it, I can convert it into a gif for you.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,613
    CM189191 said:
    there really IS  a tweet for everything.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    nicknyr15 said:
    100% true. I luckily do not suffer from anxiety and depression but I do feel myself getting bummed out here and there. 
    I do and am trying my best to focus on my university studies

Now why in the fuck would it be fun to count the dead bodies?
    You really are a piece of work.
    If you give me the video of you doing it, I can convert it into a gif.

:lol:   Schoolyard shit. 
    Keep on changing positions 5x per week.  It is entertaining.
    I do feel sorry for your mother and others who are in that position - a huge percentage of us will be in the same spot soon if this half-lockdown shit continues.  The morons in charge need to go all-in and stop the spread rate or it is useless.  My point holds -- people dying is the worst part of this.

This discussion has been closed.