The coronavirus

Comments

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,252
    mcgruff10 said:
    Out hunting Pokémon today with my 11 year old.  This is pretty serious business!! We are at park number four lol. 
    I played for about 2 weeks when it first came out. I stopped after 2 cops showed up my my door asking why I was waking around the school/park that was across the street from my house.
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    cutz said:
    See... This virus exposes stupidity!!!

A blower dyer up your nose??.. One America News Network  (the new Fox news) is a reliable source.... BAHAHA good one!!!!!
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Out hunting Pokémon today with my 11 year old.  This is pretty serious business!! We are at park number four lol. 
    I played for about 2 weeks when it first came out. I stopped after 2 cops showed up my my door asking why I was waking around the school/park that was across the street from my house.
    Lol.  That sucks.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,111
    pjl44 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    Anyone else pissed off at China?
    Stop watching Fox News
    What Fox News have to do with being pissed at China cover covering this up, lying about it, threatening their own doctors for trying talk about how dangerous this is? That’s all facts, we could have been a month or 2 ahead of this if they didn’t  cover this up and ban outsider scientists from researching the virus.
    What does any of that have to do with Fox News?
    You are buying into the FOX news Trump narrative. The Trump administration knew what was coming, they were warned and ignored those warnings. So stop spreading bullshit that the world could have been better prepared had China been more transparent.

Look at the beginning of this thread for proof of how long we have know this was a threat. It's really unbelievable how gullible people are.

Stop being so gullible.
    So we’re only allowed to be upset at one person? We can’t be upset with how China covered this up and not be happy with how the IS handled this?
    Whybisnit gullible to not be happy with multiple parties? Why is it smarter to just only pick one and give everyone else a free pass? That to me seems more gullible, picking only one party and giving everyone else a free pass. China could have shared more information. China could have allowed health researchers. China could have started to contain it sooner. Why are we not allowed to be upset with how they handled it too?
    Sure, be angry with China all you want. It isn't going to help anyone, or change one thing in this current crisis, but if that's how you want to spend your energy that's your prerogative.

I will continue to act on things within my control. Holding my leaders accountable being one of those things. If they fuck up I won't go looking somewhere else to blame just because they are on my team.
    One of the things people will likely be holding their leaders accountable for is how they, as part of the global community, intend to hold China accountable for initiating this. The Trump administration, for their part, has done a miserable job in almost every aspect of preparing for and handling this here. I'm not sure there's anybody who's posted in the last 20 pages or so that would dispute that. But I think there's plenty of room for anger, frustration, etc. directed at both.
    I don't disagree, but there are Trump supporters here and elsewhere. The same people who thought it was a democratic hoax, then moved on to "it's just the flu" and now have moved on to it's all China's fault I have to stay home.

You picking up what I'm throwing down here?
    So find them and go argue with them. Dragging a strawman into the thread doesn't advance the discussion. 

Unless it’s this one.

https://youtu.be/oArr5IHThik

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,111
    We should avoid making cruelly smug posts if someone we don't like tests positive yet also freely acknowledge that Rand Paul is a colossal asshole for not quarantining until he got his results
    Why do the Trump Coronavirus briefings sound like those interviews with NASCAR drivers? 

I"d like to thank Coca-Cola, Walmart, and Taco Bell for help on the Coors Light Ventilators. 

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,309
    myoung321 said:
    cutz said:

A blower dyer up your nose??.. One America News Network  (the new Fox news) is a reliable source.... BAHAHA good one!!!!!
    I can tell you that a blow dryer is not effective.  I would recommend using a soldering gun.  
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,616
    edited March 2020
    Soooooo, the wife slices her finger pretty good while making coleslaw. Currently at the ER. Well SHE is. I am in the parking lot. No visitors period. Full stop. Gave her a mask upon entrance.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    cutz said:

I can tell you that a blow dryer is not effective.  I would recommend using a soldering gun.  
     The Elon Musk Flame Thrower will probably work too! 

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    mickeyrat said:
    Soooooo, the wife slices her finger pretty good while making cokeslaw. Currently at the ER. Well SHE is. I am in the parking lot. No visitors period. Full stop. Gave her a mask upon entrance.
    Did she wear it upside down?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mickeyrat said:
    Soooooo, the wife slices her finger pretty good while making cokeslaw. Currently at the ER. Well SHE is. I am in the parking lot. No visitors period. Full stop. Gave her a mask upon entrance.
    Dude!  That sucks!  Tell your wife you'll do coke the proper way, off her ass.  She doesn't need to make it a slaw!  

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mickeyrat said:
    Damn man.... Hope she's okay, Hang in there!

mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Dude!  That sucks!  Tell your wife you'll do coke the proper way, off her ass.  She doesn't need to make it a slaw! 
    adds a little variety.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    cutz said:

I'm a Rick Dalton kind of guy..

mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:
    cutz said:

I'm a Rick Dalton kind of guy..

Die Virus Die!!!  haha

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,126
    mickeyrat said:
    Soooooo, the wife slices her finger pretty good while making coleslaw. Currently at the ER. Well SHE is. I am in the parking lot. No visitors period. Full stop. Gave her a mask upon entrance.
    Oh fuck that sucks I hope she gets out there fast ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    mickeyrat said:
    oh man that is terrible.  I hope she is ok bud!
  • mickeyrat said:
    Ugggh.  Lots of bad timing accidents taking place, I'm sure.  Sorry to learn of this and hope she gets out quickly.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Yes. The WHO, too. I think there's plenty of capacity to deal with the problem best you can and also be aggravated about the situation. Don't let people gaslight you into thinking that's only being discussed in right wing circles.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/china-trolling-world-and-avoiding-blame/608332/
    look in the Trump thread, I've had two people call me a racist in there...
    Unless you've said something different there than you have here, that's insane
    Nope, the same thing. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    mcgruff10 said:
    I am pissed at China and I hope in the future they have better health codes/some sort of enforcement/rules for these wet markets.  I am pissed at the US government because they definitely dropped the ball. I'm even more pissed at the morons who are still not taking this seriously.  I'm pissed at the idiots who buy 258 rolls of toilet paper.  And finally I'm pissed off that I am not in quebec city right now.  
    Ssshhh, don't criticise China here. You'll be called a racist.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    As in, STOP EATING MEAT = STOP EMERGING VIRUS PANDEMICS

lowest common denominator
    No need to use this disaster to push your vegan agenda.
    People have been eating meat for thousands of years and there has not been something like this before.
    How about Chinese people stop eating bats and pangolins and all other animals that should not be eaten.
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    Stop watching Fox News
    What Fox News have to do with being pissed at China cover covering this up, lying about it, threatening their own doctors for trying talk about how dangerous this is? That’s all facts, we could have been a month or 2 ahead of this if they didn’t  cover this up and ban outsider scientists from researching the virus.
    What does any of that have to do with Fox News?
    Thank you.
    I hate Murdoch media. As if I'd watch his shit programs.
    My friend Nik died on Friday. He was only 56. He contracted coronavirus from a work colleague who had returned from Italy. he had no underlying symptoms. We are in a state of total shock. Stay safe out there.
    Sorry about your loss. Did he have a pre-existing condition? 
    edited March 2020

People have been eating meat for thousands of years and there has not been something like this before.
    How about Chinese people stop eating bats and pangolins and all other animals that should not be eaten.
    and who is to say it jumped from consumption?
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

Very interesting op-ed from Thailand:
    https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/1883355/a-vaccine-against-outbreaks-ban-wildlife-trade

As Thailand and its neighbors scramble to contain the pandemic and panic, we urgently need to start building a response to the source of Covid-19, or risk having new outbreaks hit us even harder. There is good reason to believe that we know the source -- global wildlife trade -- and that there is a solution.

Scant attention is being paid by world leaders to the fact that Covid-19 jumped to people from wild critters on sale. Experts agree that the likely source this time was a bat, either transmitted directly to a person or through a pangolin, the world's most heavily trafficked mammal. Whichever animal it was in Wuhan, China, that passed Covid-19 to its first victims, it was either smuggled by a trafficker or supplied by captive breeders, many of whom stock their animals from traffickers.

But this virus is not just about China, bats or pangolins. Zoonotic outbreaks have hit us before, and they will hit us again if we keep over-exploiting animals.

In Africa, HIV (initially SIV) and Ebola both jumped from endangered primates to people, most likely through bush-meat trade; domesticated camels in the Middle East passed on deadly Mers; migrating water fowl infected poultry in busy Hong Kong markets, resulting in bird flu; civets offered on Chinese menus gave us Sars. All of these viruses led to sickness, deaths, and economic disruption.

China's 2003 response to Sars, another coronavirus, was to destroy 846,000 animals. That clearly was not the solution. With Covid-19, they have closed their wet markets and banned wildlife trade. Vietnam appears set to the same. What about Thailand?

How many Thailand residents realise that many of the pangolins, snakes and turtles trafficked into Wuhan and other Chinese markets transited the Kingdom? And that species trafficked from around the world also still end up in Chatuchak market, on secret menus in Bangkok and Pattaya, and for sale on social media?

The world's top virus experts agree that zoonotic outbreaks like Covid-19 will get worse as wild animal trade increases and wild animal habitats shrink. We need to re-think our relationship with the wild.

Conservationists have long been trying to convince world leaders and legislatures to prioritise laws and budgets that protect wild animals in their natural habitats, and to roll back the multi-billion dollar trade in wildlife that is driving the fastest rate of species loss in history. The usual response: "Wild animals need to take a back seat to national security and humanitarian needs," even though we have demonstrated that organised crime and insurgencies are linked to wildlife trafficking.

Perhaps one silver lining from Covid-19 is that it demonstrates that wildlife protection is integral to international security and human welfare.

Thailand has a newly improved wildlife law and is helping to draft an Asean plan to reduce wildlife trafficking across Southeast Asia. The Thailand-supported, Asean "Plan of Action" (POA) on Wildlife Trafficking is designed to protect wild animals from commercial poaching so that they are not trafficked across borders onto dodgy markets. It also features campaigns to kill the demand for rare and endangered species so that people don't get sick and cause extinction. But like Thai law, the Asean plan still allows for legal wildlife trade, and lacks high-level attention, funding and multi-agency implementation.

Thai officials and NGO partners, including our organisation, have been chomping at the bit to tighten and implement the Thai wildlife law and Asean Plan of Action. In letters to Minister of Natural Resources and Environment Varawut Silpa-archa this week, NGOs expressed their desire to see Thailand shut down wildlife markets and legal loopholes allowing some captive breeders to sell trafficked animals.

Thailand can play a leading roll in Southeast Asia to prevent zoonotic outbreaks from recurring, but it needs to lead by example by banning wildlife trade and including wildlife protection as part of its broader response to Covid-19. Thailand's lawmakers should further strengthen Thai wildlife law, increase resources for protection of wild animals and habitat, enact the Asean Plan of Action, and close down (not regulate) wildlife markets that remain on Thailand's streets and websites.

It is time to recognise that secure wildlife and wild habitats are critical investments and insurance policies for human security and economic stability.

mickeyrat said:

and who is to say it jump from consumption?
    Medical experts believe it started from the consumption of pangolins and maybe bats too, or bats infected pangolins that were then consumed by people 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,010
    mickeyrat said:
    Oh no, I hope she’s ok & you guys get home quickly. 

This discussion has been closed.