The coronavirus

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,616
    mickeyrat said:
    As in, STOP EATING MEAT = STOP EMERGING VIRUS PANDEMICS

lowest common denominator
    No need to use this disaster to push your vegan agenda.
    People have been eating meat for thousands of years and there has not been something like this before.
    How about Chinese people stop eating bats and pangolins and all other animals that should not be eaten.
    and who is to say it jump from consumption?
    Medical experts believe it started from the consumption of pangolins and maybe bats too, or bats infected pangolins that were then consumed by people 
    ok. but its an airborne pathogen at least between humans, so while I grant that it could have jumped via consumption, isnt it more likely greater numbers of people became infected simply by being in those markets near those animals?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

People have been eating meat for thousands of years and there has not been something like this before.
    How about Chinese people stop eating bats and pangolins and all other animals that should not be eaten.
    and who is to say it jump from consumption?
    Medical experts believe it started from the consumption of pangolins and maybe bats too, or bats infected pangolins that were then consumed by people 
    ok. but its an airborne pathogen at least between humans, so while I grant that it could have jumped via consumption, isnt it more likely greater numbers of people became infected simply by being in those markets near those animals?
    Maybe. But the source is still consumption. And then that one or two or three people that ate the pangolins spread it via the air.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    I really have to stop... no really! Sooo Stressful!!!  I need to stop... It will help if I just stop.....!!!!!!!

Stop watching the Trump White House Briefings ...   
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    edited March 2020

Like you have the right to be an authority on what "should be eaten" and not.

And no need to use this disaster to skew truths others post because it doesn't fit into your lifestyle or limited perspective or whatever.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    mickeyrat said:
    Soooooo, the wife slices her finger pretty good while making coleslaw. Currently at the ER. Well SHE is. I am in the parking lot. No visitors period. Full stop. Gave her a mask upon entrance.
    That sucks! Hope she’s ok. Terrible timing. My 6 year old gashed his head on the corner of a dresser pretty bad the other night. Luckily not deep enough for stitches, but I was immediately thinking I’d stitch that shit up myself rather than going to the ER. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,508
    pjl44 said:
    We should avoid making cruelly smug posts if someone we don't like tests positive yet also freely acknowledge that Rand Paul is a colossal asshole for not quarantining until he got his results

I absolutely do not want any harm to anyone. If harm must come, if it were towards a libertarian who stood against the initial relief package, who was publicly against stay at home orders, who cries for liberty in the face of a deadly pandemic, I’m not sure if “good” is the right word, it  isn’t, but perhaps that’s a lesson for all in this time of crisis. IIRC your views are supportive of libertarianism and I need to be respectful of that. I don’t think the govt is interested in permanently taking away our liberty, I think their priority is saving lives. But some do have frustration with excessive loyalty to beliefs in face of facts and logic that’s difficult to communicate appropriately 

below is a comment I pulled from a right leaning libertarian forum I posted here the other day . Interesting to consider -

“ It certainly seems like the Constitution is not currently in effect; with the freedom to assemble and the liberty to move about savagely curtailed, and our fundamental rights eroding to nil in the name of public safety. Hardly anyone seems to care either. Fear has swept the country, and the will of the people to resist the hamfist of state has crumpled.

So what threshold did we really cross? How many people need to be in danger before we just quit? Who gets to decide when enough is enough? The media? The trending hashtags? At what point does the constitution no longer impede our collective demands for reactionary government? Do we get a line in the sand?

Going forward, will every flu season inspire quarantines? Will every scary news story demand compliance to the powers that be? Do we just mark the constitution up with a big asterisk that says "Only when things are OK.", or do we just shred the thing altogether?

It's disheartening to see fear as the chief motivating factor for modern society at this point. We are totally vulnerable to the wills of any power capable of convincing the masses that they are in grave danger. We've supplanted self determination and personal responsibility with compliance to a shared narrative framework.

We've come full circle from the age of enlightenment to the dark ages. All it took was the threat of plague. And that's the real cost here.

Lives will be lost, grief will be suffered. But it's the liberty we choose to give away that stains our generation."

And no need to use this disaster to skew truths others post because it doesn't fit into your lifestyle or limited perspective or whatever.
    wtf! How am I skewing or being an authority.
    Proove to me that eating beef, pork, chicken has caused a pandemic like this in the past!

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    If I ever see someone eating a bat or pangolin I will fucking stomp on them.
    edited March 2020
    State epidemiologist Anders Tegnell sees hope that the curve for the number of infected with the coronavirus is being flattened.

- It will calm down properly in May. We have a weather that the virus does not like in the same way and hopefully we a lot of immune in society then, ”he says in SVT's“ Agenda ”.

He also says that a test of randomly selected Swedes should give a picture of how large the spread of infection really is.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383

pot meets kettle.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:

pot meets kettle.  
    Exactly. He's been pushing his vegan agenda in a few posts now.
    Militant vegans are the worst. 
    mcgruff10 said:

pot meets kettle.  
    In what way am I pushing an agenda?
  • mcgruff10 said:

pot meets kettle.  
    This needs it's own thread.  Could rival the Stefan thread.....
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    mcgruff10 said:

pot meets kettle.  
    In what way am I pushing an agenda?
    by continuously speaking out against meat consumption. 
    mcgruff10 said:

pot meets kettle.  
    Halts maul!
  • guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    If I ever see someone eating a bat or pangolin I will fucking stomp on them.
    Top of the range.. 
    Disappointed to see some Melbourne musicians sharing group photos on facebook of them huddling together despite continuous warnings.

And when I called this musician out for her and her band's behaviour I got smart arse replies. Some people are so selfish.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,423
    7 days in on this lockdown and holy shit I am going to get fat if this lasts a lot longer. Non stop eating. Same with the kids. Fuck!
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    edited March 2020
    mcgruff10 said:

pot meets kettle.  
    It is pretty cool that you knew what I was talking about.  You never know what expressions are known where.  
    I ve been watching “opal hunters” lately, I freaking love hearing you aussies talk!  Such an amazing accent.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    :)
    "there will not be congregating up at the trampoline venue or whatever it happens to be,” - Australia's PM Scott Morrison.
    NO TRAMPOLINING!
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
     Canada will not be sending athletes to the Tokyo Olympics, if the games still go ahead.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,252
    mickeyrat said:
    Soooooo, the wife slices her finger pretty good while making coleslaw. Currently at the ER. Well SHE is. I am in the parking lot. No visitors period. Full stop. Gave her a mask upon entrance.
    Thats why I don’t eat coleslaw.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    mcgruff10 said:

pot meets kettle.  
    For the second time today, I am quoting you and saying "yeah, no shit" =)
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    mickey, how'd it go at the hospital?
    who here is getting 1930 depression vibes?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,616
    oops. forgot to update

ok, she sliced her left thumb at the nail bed. new knife so very sharp. we had gotten it bandaged up pretty quickly and that help seal it some. Physicians Assistant then very gently examined the cut and felt heavy gluing would work.  given its location this avoided them having to remove the nail to stitch up. she likely lose the nail naturally, but thats prefered to forced remove. I guess it causes complications later in regrowth but also invites infection?

anyway we were home maybe an hour later.

I finished up the coleslaw and you cant even taste the blood!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    who here is getting 1930 depression vibes?
    Me
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    mickeyrat said:
    oops. forgot to update

ok, she sliced her left thumb at the nail bed. new knife so very sharp. we had gotten it bandaged up pretty quickly and that help seal it some. Physicians Assistant then very gently examined the cut and felt heavy gluing would work.  given its location this avoided them having to remove the nail to stitch up. she likely lose the nail naturally, but thats prefered to forced remove. I guess it causes complications later in regrowth but also invites infection?

anyway we were home maybe an hour later.

I finished up the coleslaw and you cant even taste the blood!!!

Good thing you got in and out of there speedy-quick......er...... mickey-quick!

(Coleslaw is bad enough without those added extras)
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
This discussion has been closed.