Options

[[MEGATHREAD]]: Dance of The Clairvoyants [NEW SINGLE] - Opinions, first impressions, reviews...

Comments

• Options
    drummer1drummer1 Posts: 314
    As of yet I’ve not found words accurate enough to describe how intensely and deeply I already love this song. I am blow over by this display of technical musicianship and true artistry. These guys have always been a source of inspiration for me and hearing this has only increased my connection to their music. They are so brave, you guys. I love how they put themselves out there with this song. I think we have something very special on the way with Giga. I’m so ready. 
    COLUMBUS, OH 5.6.10
    CLEVELAND, OH 5.9.10
    E.V. DETROIT, MI 6.26.11
    PJ20 ALPINE VALLEY, WI 9.3.11
    PJ20 ALPINE VALLEY, WI 9.4.11
  • Options
    PearlJutt said:
    Love it !!! I’ve personally been waiting on the post punk / new wave kind of sound on one of their songs. The Bowie, Talking Heads type song. This brings me back to early, early 80’s MTV days. I love the hard stuff a lot like almost everything but this is unique, fresh for today’s standards. I’d expect nothing else from these guys. Sure the record is a full variety of styles like usual but glad this “ new wave” song has finally come and it’s actually really good. 

Definitely picked up on the post punk element too along with the other influences. Mike’s guitar has a Gang Of Four feel (a band that the RHCP’s love, so understandable others have been hearing a bit of them in there as well). 

One thing I think hasn’t really be mentioned is how hard it is to make a song of this style seem as effortless as this. There’s been a couple of comments about DotC being “phoned in” but truly if any one of the parts of this song were off it would crumble easily & sound crass. 
    To put together vocals/lyrics the way Eddie has  is fantastic artistry. 
    Ok, they’ve had SEVEN YEARS to get it right, but I’m sure we’re all going to be glad they took that long! 

Most pleasing of all is to see how happy they are with Gigaton as a whole too. The way Stone has spoken about the journey to here, how they’ve captured the spirit of the band, plus the great marketing push its getting indicates it’s something they are really proud of. 
    Hopefully that means more PJ songs for the foreseeable future. 

Personally I think the track is going to work well as track three on the album. Not too down tempo, but not too full on rocking either (interestingly after one listen to DotC, Given To Fly came on straight after & it felt REALLY slow!). Buzzing to hear the next single & Gigaton. 

So glad there’s life in the old lost dogs yet 😃

So thoughtfully written. I couldn’t agree more. This is such an exciting and special experience!!!!
    COLUMBUS, OH 5.6.10
    CLEVELAND, OH 5.9.10
    E.V. DETROIT, MI 6.26.11
  • Options
    I've really needed something to pick me up for a good long while. Remember the way PJ made you feel when you got hooked on 'em? This song is doing that again. It's fucking great. Eddie's on fire. Stone's on bass?? Matt is smooth as hell and McCready's just perfect. Not completely sure what Jeff's doing (assuming the synth but ya never know) but you can still hear his grooves. Was not expecting this sound but I DIG it. I hear a sort of joy in the music. Highlight is the way Ed can sound like David Byrne at the beggining and Peter Gabriel at the end. I haven't enjoyed a PJ song this much since Avocado. Wicked psyched for the rest of the record!
    Hell yes to all of this!!
    COLUMBUS, OH 5.6.10
    CLEVELAND, OH 5.9.10
    E.V. DETROIT, MI 6.26.11
  • Options
    JAYHB said:
    Knowing that I usually gravitate towards the live versions of songs more than the studio version, I am dying to hear this song live. Cannot wait.
    You read my mind 
    COLUMBUS, OH 5.6.10
    CLEVELAND, OH 5.9.10
    E.V. DETROIT, MI 6.26.11
  • Options
    ten zten z Posts: 55
    aidt17 said:
    I enjoy the song. 1 thought has  been reoccurring as I listen to it 

1). Hoppers resurrection in the next season 
    I thought of Stranger Things too when I first heard this song.
    PJ Shows I have attended:
    May 15, 2010 Hartford, CT 
    October 12, 2013 Buffalo, NY
  • Options
    @mcgruff10 your  friends are right!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    I like it.  and its about fucking time
  • Options
    Holy shit. Can't stop listening. I hope the rest of the album is this good. Thanks PJ.
  • Options
    jonsey30jonsey30 Rochester Hills, MI Posts: 998
    edited January 2020
    I have been listening to this song a lot more than I thought I would based on the Bill Simmons snippet. Have to see this live!

i played it for my wife and she said it sounds exactly like arcade Fire.  We like them, so I don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing 🤷🏼‍♂️
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    10/11/13 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,597
    Wow. Black Circle makes me get the song even more.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    I didn’t love the song, I didn’t hate it, just happy it was new and from them...but then...hours later, the fucking tune won’t stop playing in my
    mind, I keep hearing that voice, and the words, and the guitar, and the intensity, seriously? and I haven’t listened to it today once. These guys are magic, it’s undeniable that the sum is greater than the parts and they create/have a real energy that is felt. 
  • Options
    I wonder if Matt will play it live with electronic drums to re-create the feel of his acoustic drums processed to sound electric, or just as normal?  It might sound really interesting with "normal" acoustic drums in a stadium setting, potentially even heavier sounding
  • Options
    desolatejoydesolatejoy London Posts: 248
    drummer1 said:
    PearlJutt said:
    Love it !!! I’ve personally been waiting on the post punk / new wave kind of sound on one of their songs. The Bowie, Talking Heads type song. This brings me back to early, early 80’s MTV days. I love the hard stuff a lot like almost everything but this is unique, fresh for today’s standards. I’d expect nothing else from these guys. Sure the record is a full variety of styles like usual but glad this “ new wave” song has finally come and it’s actually really good. 

Definitely picked up on the post punk element too along with the other influences. Mike’s guitar has a Gang Of Four feel (a band that the RHCP’s love, so understandable others have been hearing a bit of them in there as well). 

One thing I think hasn’t really be mentioned is how hard it is to make a song of this style seem as effortless as this. There’s been a couple of comments about DotC being “phoned in” but truly if any one of the parts of this song were off it would crumble easily & sound crass. 
    To put together vocals/lyrics the way Eddie has  is fantastic artistry. 
    Ok, they’ve had SEVEN YEARS to get it right, but I’m sure we’re all going to be glad they took that long! 

Most pleasing of all is to see how happy they are with Gigaton as a whole too. The way Stone has spoken about the journey to here, how they’ve captured the spirit of the band, plus the great marketing push its getting indicates it’s something they are really proud of. 
    Hopefully that means more PJ songs for the foreseeable future. 

Personally I think the track is going to work well as track three on the album. Not too down tempo, but not too full on rocking either (interestingly after one listen to DotC, Given To Fly came on straight after & it felt REALLY slow!). Buzzing to hear the next single & Gigaton. 

So glad there’s life in the old lost dogs yet 😃

So thoughtfully written. I couldn’t agree more. This is such an exciting and special experience!!!!
    Thank you my friend 😃👍🏻
    Wembley Arena, London - 28/10/96
    Wembley Arena, London - 30/05/00 
    Wembley Arena, London - 18/06/07
    02 Arena, London - 18/08/09
    Hammersmith Apollo, London - 30/07/12 EV Solo
    Bowl, Milton Keynes - 11/07/2014
    Hammersmith Apollo, London - 06/06/17 EV Solo
    O2 Arena, London - 18/06/18
    O2 Arena, London - 17/07/18

It's an art to live with pain, mix the light into grey...
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,306
    nicknyr15 said:
    That is next level!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    False_BeliefFalse_Belief Cardiff Posts: 750

'POSITIVE POSITIVE!!' is going to become the new '...HELLOOOOOOOOOO' at the shows isn't it?  

Day 3 of listening to this thing on repeat has begun. 

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,036
    edited January 2020
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,036
    edited January 2020
    I know girls wanna dance!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,516
    I feel like there will be several evenbros rocking homemade "The Boys Wanna Grow Their Dicks" shirts at these shows
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    PJ is taking itself too seriously. I'm guessing they listened to the Beatle's White album, dropped some acid and then wrote and performed this song. It is self indulgent and over produced. Go back to the basics boys. That is what got you here. All of the PJ fans falling all over themselves is to be expected. But what do you expect from a bunch of lemmings. Let's hope the rest of the album does not follow suit with the waste of time that is DofC. 
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,984
    edited January 2020
    The basics got boring. Taking risks is when PJ are at their most interesting. 
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,984
    Also my favorite takes are the ones where if someone has a different opinion than you, they must be sheep or lemmings. 
  • Options
    TR136913 said:
    PJ is taking itself too seriously. I'm guessing they listened to the Beatle's White album, dropped some acid and then wrote and performed this song. It is self indulgent and over produced. Go back to the basics boys. That is what got you here. All of the PJ fans falling all over themselves is to be expected. But what do you expect from a bunch of lemmings. Let's hope the rest of the album does not follow suit with the waste of time that is DofC. 
    Or....OR....maybe you take it too seriously?
  • Options
    JG49071JG49071 Posts: 77
    PJ is taking themselves too seriously?

About being happy with a song they made?
    After doing it for 30 years?

If you want Ten 2.0 listen to the remastered version with the extra songs.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    Also my favorite takes are the ones where if someone has a different opinion than you, they must be sheep or lemmings. 
    This is always hysterical 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    TR136913 said:
    (To be read in Shatner’s Captain Kirk voice)

When has....Pearl Jam....not released....music that sounds serious or....is to be taken....seriously?

Ahh, anyway. Silly fucking comment ya got there, guy.
  • Options
    EarlWelsh said:
    TR136913 said:

When has....Pearl Jam....not released....music that sounds serious or....is to be taken....seriously?

The Fixer?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    EarlWelsh said:
    TR136913 said:

The Fixer?
    Oh, sure, there’s always some fun stuff on a record but the majority is always serious music. That was my point. They’ve always released music that sounds like they take themselves seriously.
  • Options
    Right, because lemmings die at the end. I've never died yet.
  • Options
    moleculemolecule Posts: 611
    What songs from Talking Heads and Bowie do people hear or relate to? Would like to check them out.
    🤙