Options

[[MEGATHREAD]]: Dance of The Clairvoyants [NEW SINGLE] - Opinions, first impressions, reviews...

Comments

• Options
    DL136722DL136722 Not sure... Posts: 645
    TR136913 said:
    PJ is taking itself too seriously. I'm guessing they listened to the Beatle's White album, dropped some acid and then wrote and performed this song. It is self indulgent and over produced. Go back to the basics boys. That is what got you here. All of the PJ fans falling all over themselves is to be expected. But what do you expect from a bunch of lemmings. Let's hope the rest of the album does not follow suit with the waste of time that is DofC. 
    Aww, someone didn't get tickets :(
    Seems odd to me that people can express how much they like DofC but get scrutinized and ridiculed for not liking it. Personally, I think it's ok, not bad, not great, just an avg song. I'll admit, after this much time off between albums and everything that's happened between then and now, I was expecting something better, my fault I guess. Personally, I think some people on here are just hyped up for something new, just because it's new doesn't mean it has to be awesome but to each their own. 
    Tweeter Center - Aug 29, 2000;Tweeter Center - Aug 30, 2000;Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000;Pepsi Arena - Apr 29, 2003;Bryce-Jordan Center - May 03, 2003;Bell Center - Jun 29, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 03, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 05, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 06, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 08, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 09, 2003;TD Banknorth Garden - May 24, 2006;TD Banknorth Garden - May 25, 2006;Fleet Center - Sept 28, 2004;Fleet Center - Sept 29, 2004;Pepsi Arena - May 12, 2006 New England Dodge Music Arena - May 13, 2006;Grant Park - Aug 05, 2007;Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008;Dodge Music Center - Jun 27, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008 XL Arena - May 15, 2010;TD Garden - May 17, 2010;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sept 03, 2011;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011 Corel Centre - Sep 16, 2005;Colisee Pepsi Arena - Sep 20, 2005; Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 15, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 16, 2013; Fenway Park - August 5, 2016; Fenway Park - August 7, 2016

Oh Dude!
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,848
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:
    PJ is taking itself too seriously. I'm guessing they listened to the Beatle's White album, dropped some acid and then wrote and performed this song. It is self indulgent and over produced. Go back to the basics boys. That is what got you here. All of the PJ fans falling all over themselves is to be expected. But what do you expect from a bunch of lemmings. Let's hope the rest of the album does not follow suit with the waste of time that is DofC. 
    Seems odd to me that people can express how much they like DofC but get scrutinized and ridiculed for not liking it. Personally, I think it's ok, not bad, not great, just an avg song. I'll admit, after this much time off between albums and everything that's happened between then and now, I was expecting something better, my fault I guess. Personally, I think some people on here are just hyped up for something new, just because it's new doesn't mean it has to be awesome but to each their own. 
    and you expressed your opinion respectfully. some people are just dicks about it. that's the difference. no one is getting ridiculed for not liking it, they are getting ridiculed for how they express it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    DL136722DL136722 Not sure... Posts: 645
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:
    and you expressed your opinion respectfully. some people are just dicks about it. that's the difference. no one is getting ridiculed for not liking it, they are getting ridiculed for how they express it. 
    I guess but I've read some stuff on here, basically people ripping people for merely disagreeing with them and because some, not all, again, not all but there are a good amount on here that are loyal to a fault that you can't even have a conversation to agree to disagree
    Tweeter Center - Aug 29, 2000;Tweeter Center - Aug 30, 2000;Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000;Pepsi Arena - Apr 29, 2003;Bryce-Jordan Center - May 03, 2003;Bell Center - Jun 29, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 03, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 05, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 06, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 08, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 09, 2003;TD Banknorth Garden - May 24, 2006;TD Banknorth Garden - May 25, 2006;Fleet Center - Sept 28, 2004;Fleet Center - Sept 29, 2004;Pepsi Arena - May 12, 2006 New England Dodge Music Arena - May 13, 2006;Grant Park - Aug 05, 2007;Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008;Dodge Music Center - Jun 27, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008 XL Arena - May 15, 2010;TD Garden - May 17, 2010;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sept 03, 2011;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011 Corel Centre - Sep 16, 2005;Colisee Pepsi Arena - Sep 20, 2005; Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 15, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 16, 2013; Fenway Park - August 5, 2016; Fenway Park - August 7, 2016

Oh Dude!
  • Options
    moleculemolecule Posts: 611
    molecule said:
    What songs from Talking Heads and Bowie do people hear or relate to? Would like to check them out.

I'm hearing Bowie's Ashes To Ashes in the outro vocals.   Specifically the "My mother said, to get things done
    You'd better not mess with Major Tom" part....
    Nice. Cool to play these songs after hearing Dance.
    🤙
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,848
    DL136722 said:
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:
    I guess but I've read some stuff on here, basically people ripping people for merely disagreeing with them and because some, not all, again, not all but there are a good amount on here that are loyal to a fault that you can't even have a conversation to agree to disagree
    fair enough, I haven't seen any of that personally. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    TR136913 said:
    I would hardly say you not digging it = DOTC being a waste of time! Especially considering how widely liked it has been

I am sensing a trend here where some are inable to merely just say "the song isn't for me" lol
  • Options
    Cropduster wasn't for me. I moved on.
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    DL136722 said:
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:
    There's some PJ songs I don't like. I was seriously on the fence about new material after "Can't Deny Me". For me, DotC is a pleasant surprise and just gets better the more I listen to it. I'm happy they took their time, pushed themselves creatively and am sure Gigaton will be a " plethora of delights, a fruit salad compote of delights" for every type of PJ fan. I respect people's opinions that don't like it, but there have been some trollish comments about it.
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    Also my favorite takes are the ones where if someone has a different opinion than you, they must be sheep or lemmings. 
    Right? The people who get irate because other people posting on a rock band's message board like a song by that rock band are truly special.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    DL136722 said:
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:
    It is totally expected for a song having such a different style to have its fair share of people who may not like the sound of it

However for example that poster above calling the song "a waste of time", and basically calling the vast majority of PJ who like it "a bunch of lemmings" before making a second post writing digs at the song again - reveal to me that the person is not really interested in a good faith discussion and sharing different opinions
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    Cropduster wasn't for me. I moved on.
    Took me ages to care for it! It’s really grown on me and now I don’t understand why I didn’t love it straight away 
  • Options
    molecule said:
    What songs from Talking Heads and Bowie do people hear or relate to? Would like to check them out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6bjnRrvx88Y

This is a great place to start for the Talking Heads.
    Considered to be one of the best concert films of all time.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,250
    molecule said:

I was blown away the first time I saw this. That's when I really became a fan. Really just discovered TH in the last 3 years. Seems there's always good music out there waiting for you to find it, even if it has been 30 years.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,153
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:

Where did you get that comment from, the outro chorus?

• Options
    molecule said:

The version of "Slippery People" on that video is worth the price of admission alone. Great stuff
  • Options
    Still obsessed with the vevo video...so groovy man...
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,089
    DL136722 said:
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:
    I haven't really seen that. The people being ridiculed are either being jerks about it or are crusading against it with post after post. If someone posts a thoughtful critique, they're not going to get jumped on.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    DL136722 said:
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:
    I haven't really seen that. The people being ridiculed are either being jerks about it or are crusading against it with post after post. If someone posts a thoughtful critique, they're not going to get jumped on.

Can you understand the strong dislike? Pearl Jam was a bold answer to ALOT of this type of music that polluted FM radio in the 80s.

If you wanted guitar rock, what was the choice. REM? U2? Fine bands but not really much on the power chord.

Even metal bands were whimpy in the 80s. Except Metallica. But they really weren’t on the radio in the 80s.

Ah Bowie just came on the radio. Sounds nothing like DotC. Sarcastic comment deleted.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,250
    pjl44 said:
    DL136722 said:
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:

Can you understand the strong dislike? Pearl Jam was a bold answer to ALOT of this type of music that polluted FM radio in the 80s.

If you wanted guitar rock, what was the choice. REM? U2? Fine bands but not really much on the power chord.

Even metal bands were whimpy in the 80s. Except Metallica. But they really weren’t on the radio in the 80s.

Ah Bowie just came on the radio. Sounds nothing like DotC. Sarcastic comment deleted.
    This is not the type of music that PJ displaced, unless that's Kip Winger on keys and Sebastian Bach on backing vocals at the end. Nothing wrong with a significant amount of music that came out of the 80's.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,924
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:
    And if your first comment had been "it's ok. Not bad, not great, just average. I was hoping for more", that's fine. Nobody would have said boo to you. 
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    DL136722 said:
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:

Pearl Jam's also the band that from 1994-2002 made the records they wanted, regardless if they might alienate fans that wanted to put them in a box as the answer to whimpy bands on FM radio, or whatever nonsense that is.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,089
    pjl44 said:
    DL136722 said:
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:

I can understand anyone not liking any song for any reason. I can't understand harping on it, or being a dick about it, or arguing with people who do like it.
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Honestly was on the fence after the first few listens but after hearing it at work today at the FULL ALBUM listening party on an amazing full on concert level PA... I'm on board. Bravo guys, the whole album is amazing!
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    The first time I heard the song, I thought of something Ed said about pop music in an RS interview awhile back. I dug it up to refresh my memory.  https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/qa-eddie-vedder-on-pearl-jams-new-lp-and-hate-watching-the-vmas-106359/.
    I do like that it's danceable. It will be a fun song to hear live.  Everyone keeps speaking of influences. I hear Duran Duran. I was totally into Duran Duran in middle school.

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    pjl44 said:
    DL136722 said:
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:

They were never a response to new wave or 80s alternative. Somewhat similar influences have been popping up in bits for most of their career now and they were tagging and covering a lot of these artists that are being mentioned very early. 

Another influence I haven’t really seen mentioned...Peter Gabriel solo is all over the outro. 

The song had grown on me a bit. Still think the synth sound and riff is weak and the outro is both too long and needs more fleshed out. 

Does anybody think they’ll have to settle up with the Breeders? The bass riff is really close and the drums have a similar feel.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,833
    23scidoo said:
    My friend sent me a screen shot of apple lyrics with it saying "fire things" instead of "file things." Has this been updated?
    Still hear ''file things''..
    Me too. I think file things makes more sense than fire things at this point too. Girls are dancing away the problem, men are being assholes, putting a band aid on it and filing it away to deal with it down the road...

Fire sounds cooler though
    “Fire things”, like guns and rockets, makes far more sense than “file things”. Nobody wants to file things. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    23scidoo said:
    My friend sent me a screen shot of apple lyrics with it saying "fire things" instead of "file things." Has this been updated?
    Still hear ''file things''..
    Me too. I think file things makes more sense than fire things at this point too. Girls are dancing away the problem, men are being assholes, putting a band aid on it and filing it away to deal with it down the road...

Fire sounds cooler though
    “Fire things”, like guns and rockets, makes far more sense than “file things”. Nobody wants to file things. 
    “Finer things” works better than either
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DL136722 said:
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:

They were never a response to new wave or 80s alternative. Somewhat similar influences have been popping up in bits for most of their career now and they were tagging and covering a lot of these artists that are being mentioned very early. 

Another influence I haven’t really seen mentioned...Peter Gabriel solo is all over the outro. 

The song had grown on me a bit. Still think the synth sound and riff is weak and the outro is both too long and needs more fleshed out. 

Does anybody think they’ll have to settle up with the Breeders? The bass riff is really close and the drums have a similar feel.
    DId they settle up with Oasis?

https://youtu.be/5_jtN9iK6NM
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    DL136722 said:
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:

I can understand anyone not liking any song for any reason. I can't understand harping on it, or being a dick about it, or arguing with people who do like it.
    This. Seems the ppl who like it post once or so. The ppl who don’t like it make it a point to keep railing against it and argue 
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    DL136722 said:
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:

You know that’s an insulting word to some? It is to me, but I respect your right to use it and Ed’s right to sing it. But please respect my right to speak out against that vocal in response to repeated comments of praise. We all have opinions, that’s the point of us wanting to engage with each other. Please enjoy the song more.