Options

[[MEGATHREAD]]: Dance of The Clairvoyants [NEW SINGLE] - Opinions, first impressions, reviews...

Comments

• Options
    Love it !!! I’ve personally been waiting on the post punk / new wave kind of sound on one of their songs. The Bowie, Talking Heads type song. This brings me back to early, early 80’s MTV days. I love the hard stuff a lot like almost everything but this is unique, fresh for today’s standards. I’d expect nothing else from these guys. Sure the record is a full variety of styles like usual but glad this “ new wave” song has finally come and it’s actually really good. 
    I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired..
  • Options
    A couple days later and this song still is really resonating with me.  I seriously think this is their best single in the 21st century
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Kat said:

Gotta love Mike. This is wonderful and well-deserved.
  • Options
    I get "mocked/picked on/made fun of/singled out" by all my friends for being The Pearl Jam Guy.  They all think I only ever listen to Pearl Jam and nothing else.  What cracks me the hell up about this is - aside from being totally wrong on that front -  they all chase the same fucking bluegrass bands at the same fucking festivals year after year after year and never listen to nor go see ANYTHING live except for bluegrass shows.  They never shut the fuck up about fucking bluegrass.  If you try to change the subject or move the conversation to another genre, they just ignore you and continue talking about bluefuckingrass. All. The. Time.
    try showing them Billy Strings' cover of In Hiding...bluegrass meets Pearl Jam
    Seriously? I'm really gonna need to check that out. Billy Strings is fantastic.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903
    srousseau said:
    I get "mocked/picked on/made fun of/singled out" by all my friends for being The Pearl Jam Guy.  They all think I only ever listen to Pearl Jam and nothing else.  What cracks me the hell up about this is - aside from being totally wrong on that front -  they all chase the same fucking bluegrass bands at the same fucking festivals year after year after year and never listen to nor go see ANYTHING live except for bluegrass shows.  They never shut the fuck up about fucking bluegrass.  If you try to change the subject or move the conversation to another genre, they just ignore you and continue talking about bluefuckingrass. All. The. Time.
    try showing them Billy Strings' cover of In Hiding...bluegrass meets Pearl Jam
    Seriously? I'm really gonna need to check that out. Billy Strings is fantastic.
    I thought this cover was really really good.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    MedozK said:
    Listened a few more times. Like the music, just can't get with the vocals. Maybe its just the aging voice, but again... the song is ok.
    Definitely will not become my new go to PJ song on my playlists.
    Kinda sad how his vocals sound. He got away with it somewhat on LB but when his voice sounds like this in the studio you know it's lost a lot of it's punch. Age and smoking will do that to do. Obviously he still sounds great but it's not what it used to be. 
    What’s wrong with his voice? I think it sounds great.
  • Options
    EarlWelsh said:
    MedozK said:
    Listened a few more times. Like the music, just can't get with the vocals. Maybe its just the aging voice, but again... the song is ok.
    Kinda sad how his vocals sound. He got away with it somewhat on LB but when his voice sounds like this in the studio you know it's lost a lot of it's punch. Age and smoking will do that to do. Obviously he still sounds great but it's not what it used to be. 
    I agree, I thought Eddie sounded fantastic here, and very emotive

I just saw someone say it was sad how his vocals sounded, and that really kind of surprised me how someone can hear great vocals like that and think "oh poor Ed is losing it" lol
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,495
    EarlWelsh said:
    MedozK said:
    Haters.
  • Options
    His vocals make this song......
  • Options
    fgdanzifgdanzi Posts: 136
    I’m about 20+ listens in and I’m still not sure what I think of this one. As others have said, I applaud the boys for switching things up but I’m just not there yet. I was happy to read the clips from Stone’s interview where he basically said Gigaton has a variety of styles on it, so that’s good news. Looking forward to the album release and tour, STL and Denver! ✌🏼
  • Options
    My wife liked PJ but never liked them as much as me and said she “fucking loves this song it’s like Depeche Mode”. At first this bugged me a bit but she’s right and it’s good.
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    Love the new single or hate it; we finally have new music, Stone is doing interviews, Mike is active on Twitter, a tour is happening soon...the band is excited!
    Sit back and enjoy the ride!
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    My wife liked PJ but never liked them as much as me and said she “fucking loves this song it’s like Depeche Mode”. At first this bugged me a bit but she’s right and it’s good.
    My best mates a DM fan and took me to see them and I in turn took him to the first pj London dome show.. Wish it was the second.. But he thinks the song is shite.. That's a DM fan for you lol... I fucking LOVE this tune.. Can't wait to get hold of the whole album.. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    Kat said:
    that's really good....I like the guitar rather than keys
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    aidt17aidt17 Posts: 614
    I enjoy the song. 1 thought has  been reoccurring as I listen to it 

1). Hoppers resurrection in the next season 
    Hamilton 05, 11, Cleveland 06, Toronto 09, 16, Buffalo 10,13, London 13, Seattle 13, Detroit 14, Milwaukee 14, Ottawa 16, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options
    PJALKPJALK Posts: 83
    Kat said:
    that's really good....I like the guitar rather than keys
    Guitar in the this song is outstanding.  Vocals too.  The whole song just clicks. It begs to be listened again and again.  Love it.  Great drive song. 
    Hope to hear lots of guitar from mike and stone on new album. 

• Options
    RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    mcgruff10 said:
    I m well known among my circle of friends to love Pearl Jam. There are many that despise pj and have made fun of me for years.  Dude who absolutely hate pj texts me today and says, “mike I cant believe I m saying this but I totally love Pearl Jam s new song.” Wtf?! Lol
    =) 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,754
    I'm liking the song a bit better but just can't get past the drumming.  I guess I like a little loser feel to drumming.  But then this is probably meant to sound 80's and so much of 80's stuff was mechanical robo-drum sounding (no offense meant toward Matt who is a fine drummer).   Also not my favorite Ed style of singing.  At this point in his career, maybe not such a good idea to rip on the vocal chords so much.

My current rating:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,138
    mcgruff10 said:
    I m well known among my circle of friends to love Pearl Jam. There are many that despise pj and have made fun of me for years.  Dude who absolutely hate pj texts me today and says, “mike I cant believe I m saying this but I totally love Pearl Jam s new song.” Wtf?! Lol

So is what you’re sayin we will be seeing a lot of long term haters, teenagers and Blue October faithfull at the Gigaton shows?
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,138
    Hunger Strike just came on the 90s rock station. DJs throw that dreadfulness away
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    mcgruff10 said:

So is what you’re sayin we will be seeing a lot of long term haters, teenagers and Blue October faithfull at the Gigaton shows?
    Well, seeing as all the tickets are mostly gone at this point...probably not something you have to worry about.
  • Options
    desolatejoydesolatejoy London Posts: 246
    PearlJutt said:
    Love it !!! I’ve personally been waiting on the post punk / new wave kind of sound on one of their songs. The Bowie, Talking Heads type song. This brings me back to early, early 80’s MTV days. I love the hard stuff a lot like almost everything but this is unique, fresh for today’s standards. I’d expect nothing else from these guys. Sure the record is a full variety of styles like usual but glad this “ new wave” song has finally come and it’s actually really good. 

Definitely picked up on the post punk element too along with the other influences. Mike’s guitar has a Gang Of Four feel (a band that the RHCP’s love, so understandable others have been hearing a bit of them in there as well). 

One thing I think hasn’t really be mentioned is how hard it is to make a song of this style seem as effortless as this. There’s been a couple of comments about DotC being “phoned in” but truly if any one of the parts of this song were off it would crumble easily & sound crass. 
    To put together vocals/lyrics the way Eddie has  is fantastic artistry. 
    Ok, they’ve had SEVEN YEARS to get it right, but I’m sure we’re all going to be glad they took that long! 

Most pleasing of all is to see how happy they are with Gigaton as a whole too. The way Stone has spoken about the journey to here, how they’ve captured the spirit of the band, plus the great marketing push its getting indicates it’s something they are really proud of. 
    Hopefully that means more PJ songs for the foreseeable future. 

Personally I think the track is going to work well as track three on the album. Not too down tempo, but not too full on rocking either (interestingly after one listen to DotC, Given To Fly came on straight after & it felt REALLY slow!). Buzzing to hear the next single & Gigaton. 

So glad there’s life in the old lost dogs yet 😃

Wembley Arena, London - 28/10/96
    Wembley Arena, London - 30/05/00 
    Wembley Arena, London - 18/06/07
    02 Arena, London - 18/08/09
    Hammersmith Apollo, London - 30/07/12 EV Solo
    Bowl, Milton Keynes - 11/07/2014
    Hammersmith Apollo, London - 06/06/17 EV Solo
    O2 Arena, London - 18/06/18
    O2 Arena, London - 17/07/18

It's an art to live with pain, mix the light into grey...
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    edited January 2020
    After a day of letting this song sink in, it sounds more and more like Pearl Jam to me. As a whole it's of course very different from what we're used to hearing from the band, but each element taken individually can easily be traced to one of the band's members including both their individualized playing styles and many influences.
  • Options
    I've really needed something to pick me up for a good long while. Remember the way PJ made you feel when you got hooked on 'em? This song is doing that again. It's fucking great. Eddie's on fire. Stone's on bass?? Matt is smooth as hell and McCready's just perfect. Not completely sure what Jeff's doing (assuming the synth but ya never know) but you can still hear his grooves. Was not expecting this sound but I DIG it. I hear a sort of joy in the music. Highlight is the way Ed can sound like David Byrne at the beggining and Peter Gabriel at the end. I haven't enjoyed a PJ song this much since Avocado. Wicked psyched for the rest of the record!
  • Options
    I’ve listened a few times now and I really like it!

i love the different sound to it. I’ve been hoping for this for a while now. 
  • Options
    drandodrando Posts: 68
    igotid88 said:
    Better than the original,  Take out the cheesy electronic drums and the synths ,  now that is Pearl Jam
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    After a number of listens it’s quite clear that this song is the Coronavirus... it’s catchy and it kills.
  • Options
    GarasaurasGarasauras Ontario Posts: 231
    igotid88 said:
    Hopefully this is how PJ plays it live
  • Options
    drandodrando Posts: 68
    My Wife thought the original was the cover band and the cover was the real thing.  Goes to show you.  Even the people who dont really know them know how they sound.   The cover still has that 80's feel with keeping who they are in the track.  Great job Black Circle.  Im done witth this one,  on to to the whole album.