Options

[[MEGATHREAD]]: Dance of The Clairvoyants [NEW SINGLE] - Opinions, first impressions, reviews...

Comments

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,227
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    DL136722 said:
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:
    PJ is taking itself too seriously. I'm guessing they listened to the Beatle's White album, dropped some acid and then wrote and performed this song. It is self indulgent and over produced. Go back to the basics boys. That is what got you here. All of the PJ fans falling all over themselves is to be expected. But what do you expect from a bunch of lemmings. Let's hope the rest of the album does not follow suit with the waste of time that is DofC. 
    Aww, someone didn't get tickets :(
    Seems odd to me that people can express how much they like DofC but get scrutinized and ridiculed for not liking it. Personally, I think it's ok, not bad, not great, just an avg song. I'll admit, after this much time off between albums and everything that's happened between then and now, I was expecting something better, my fault I guess. Personally, I think some people on here are just hyped up for something new, just because it's new doesn't mean it has to be awesome but to each their own. 
    and you expressed your opinion respectfully. some people are just dicks about it. that's the difference. no one is getting ridiculed for not liking it, they are getting ridiculed for how they express it. 
    I guess but I've read some stuff on here, basically people ripping people for merely disagreeing with them and because some, not all, again, not all but there are a good amount on here that are loyal to a fault that you can't even have a conversation to agree to disagree
    I haven't really seen that. The people being ridiculed are either being jerks about it or are crusading against it with post after post. If someone posts a thoughtful critique, they're not going to get jumped on.

Can you understand the strong dislike? Pearl Jam was a bold answer to ALOT of this type of music that polluted FM radio in the 80s.

If you wanted guitar rock, what was the choice. REM? U2? Fine bands but not really much on the power chord.

Even metal bands were whimpy in the 80s. Except Metallica. But they really weren’t on the radio in the 80s.

Ah Bowie just came on the radio. Sounds nothing like DotC. Sarcastic comment deleted.
    I can understand anyone not liking any song for any reason. I can't understand harping on it, or being a dick about it, or arguing with people who do like it.
    This. Seems the ppl who like it post once or so. The ppl who don’t like it make it a point to keep railing against it and argue 

So if you like it, it’s praise, and if you don’t, it’s arguing? Is there any bias to that?

Do we need separate opinion threads, one pro one con? I get it, a topic featuring those that prefer Pearl Jam further exploring their strengths like Tool, would drop off page one instantly.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DL136722 said:
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:
    PJ is taking itself too seriously. I'm guessing they listened to the Beatle's White album, dropped some acid and then wrote and performed this song. It is self indulgent and over produced. Go back to the basics boys. That is what got you here. All of the PJ fans falling all over themselves is to be expected. But what do you expect from a bunch of lemmings. Let's hope the rest of the album does not follow suit with the waste of time that is DofC. 
    Seems odd to me that people can express how much they like DofC but get scrutinized and ridiculed for not liking it. Personally, I think it's ok, not bad, not great, just an avg song. I'll admit, after this much time off between albums and everything that's happened between then and now, I was expecting something better, my fault I guess. Personally, I think some people on here are just hyped up for something new, just because it's new doesn't mean it has to be awesome but to each their own. 
    and you expressed your opinion respectfully. some people are just dicks about it. that's the difference. no one is getting ridiculed for not liking it, they are getting ridiculed for how they express it. 
    I guess but I've read some stuff on here, basically people ripping people for merely disagreeing with them and because some, not all, again, not all but there are a good amount on here that are loyal to a fault that you can't even have a conversation to agree to disagree
    I haven't really seen that. The people being ridiculed are either being jerks about it or are crusading against it with post after post. If someone posts a thoughtful critique, they're not going to get jumped on.

Can you understand the strong dislike? Pearl Jam was a bold answer to ALOT of this type of music that polluted FM radio in the 80s.

If you wanted guitar rock, what was the choice. REM? U2? Fine bands but not really much on the power chord.

Even metal bands were whimpy in the 80s. Except Metallica. But they really weren’t on the radio in the 80s.

Ah Bowie just came on the radio. Sounds nothing like DotC. Sarcastic comment deleted.

They were never a response to new wave or 80s alternative. Somewhat similar influences have been popping up in bits for most of their career now and they were tagging and covering a lot of these artists that are being mentioned very early. 

Another influence I haven’t really seen mentioned...Peter Gabriel solo is all over the outro. 

The song had grown on me a bit. Still think the synth sound and riff is weak and the outro is both too long and needs more fleshed out. 

Does anybody think they’ll have to settle up with the Breeders? The bass riff is really close and the drums have a similar feel.
    DId they settle up with Oasis?

https://youtu.be/5_jtN9iK6NM
    Why would they? I don’t hear anything close to a PJ song. T
  • Options
    Cropduster wasn't for me. I moved on.
    i am still obsessed with this song and my opinion is always right because it's mine.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

Does anybody think they’ll have to settle up with the Breeders? The bass riff is really close and the drums have a similar feel.

I don't think the bass lines are really that close. Going by memory and not tabs, Cannonball is a alternating pattern of 2 different notes, each repeated 5 times after an open string. DotC is a pattern of 3 different notes, each repeated 6 times after an open string.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,040
    molecule said:
    What songs from Talking Heads and Bowie do people hear or relate to? Would like to check them out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6bjnRrvx88Y

This is a great place to start for the Talking Heads.
    Considered to be one of the best concert films of all time.
    Wow this is really really awesome.  I never liked Talking Heads but I am totally digging this. Thanks for posting this.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DL136722 said:
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:

They were never a response to new wave or 80s alternative. Somewhat similar influences have been popping up in bits for most of their career now and they were tagging and covering a lot of these artists that are being mentioned very early. 

Another influence I haven’t really seen mentioned...Peter Gabriel solo is all over the outro. 

The song had grown on me a bit. Still think the synth sound and riff is weak and the outro is both too long and needs more fleshed out. 

https://youtu.be/lzBqGk7l4A8
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    DL136722 said:
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:

I can understand anyone not liking any song for any reason. I can't understand harping on it, or being a dick about it, or arguing with people who do like it.
    This. Seems the ppl who like it post once or so. The ppl who don’t like it make it a point to keep railing against it and argue 

So if you like it, it’s praise, and if you don’t, it’s arguing? Is there any bias to that?

Do we need separate opinion threads, one pro one con? I get it, a topic featuring those that prefer Pearl Jam further exploring their strengths like Tool, would drop off page one instantly.
    Yes
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DL136722 said:
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:

https://youtu.be/lzBqGk7l4A8
    I don’t hear anything nearly as close as DOTC/Cannoball and Oasis probably don’t want their song compared to Ole. 
  • Options
    False_BeliefFalse_Belief Cardiff Posts: 755
    edited January 2020
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DL136722 said:
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:

Did Oasis settle up with Creedence Clearwater Revival? 

You can’t really trademark a two chord progression.   The DotC bass intro has very little in common with Cannonball either.  It’s just the way Stone slides up the fretboard that gives that impression.   Radioactive by Kings of Leon crossed my mind for the same reason.   
    Post edited by False_Belief on

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• Options
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DL136722 said:
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:

The DotC bass intro has very little in common with Cannonball either.  It’s just the way Stone slides up the fretboard that gives that impression.   
    No, they’re pretty similar.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DL136722 said:
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:

The DotC bass intro has very little in common with Cannonball either.  It’s just the way Stone slides up the fretboard that gives that impression.   
    No, they share precisely 0% of the same notes.  

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• Options
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DL136722 said:
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:

It’s not about the exact  notes, it’s about  the interval and the feel. 
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DL136722 said:
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:

Fine - but in this instance he’s just playing simple root notes to match the chord progression.   There’s no “riff” here to speak of.   If I wrote a song with the chords F#m, D and Bm, I’d use the exact same bass notes because it’s literally the simplest thing you can do.   Just like you can’t rip off a chord sequence, a sequence of 3 root notes played on the same string can’t possibly be a rip-off of anything! 

• Options
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DL136722 said:
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:

Fine - but in this instance he’s just playing simple root notes to match the chord progression.   There’s no “riff” here to speak of.   If I wrote a song with the chords F#m, D and Bm, I’d use the exact same bass notes because it’s literally the simplest thing you can do.   Just like you can’t rip off a chord sequence, a sequence of 3 root notes played on the same string can’t possibly be a rip-off of anything! 
    Would this be considered a rip-off to you?

https://youtu.be/CLHds_4gFMA

https://youtu.be/oOzpncIHCLs
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DL136722 said:
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:

Would this be considered a rip-off to you?

https://youtu.be/CLHds_4gFMA

https://youtu.be/oOzpncIHCLs
    Yeah, those are virtually identical.  I’m just not hearing the Cannonball thing.  Different notes, in a different sequence, picked differently.    I guess the tones might be somewhat similar but that’s about it, to my ears.  

Acutely aware that i’m coming off like I care about this waaaay more than I do, so I’ll stop now :’) 

• Options
    Eddie's voice on this song is probably the best I have heard him sound in a long while on a studio recording
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I realized something about DOTC-- I don't like the drums much, but I like the rest of the song. I imagined (and it was tough to do) the song with Jack Irons style drums from Yield... It would have fit on Binaural. So, I'm glad PJ has tried something new.

And on another note, I wonder how this Atmos style sound will affect the way we hear the songs. I first listened to the song through a huge PA at work, then on my work PC, then with decent headphones, and every time it sounded vastly different. 
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    After my first listen, my reaction was “hmmmmm”. 

I’ve now heard it 5 times. And I like it. Definitely hearing Talking Heads. I think it will be better live. 
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    I do agree the drums arent my favourite.  There is that breakbeat part or whatever  you call it tempo change  that i dislike. But that doesn't  change  my love of it. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    It fits the profile of a kinda non-PJ song first big single release of the last three albums.  The Fixer, Sirens, and DOTC are meant to be radio hits.  
  • Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    I love every single part of DOTC and it will be great live. 

I don't care if it's a hit or not. They don't play PJ songs on the radio in my country anyway. Hardly anyone here shares my love for this music.
    But if you look at the numbers on YouTube, the song is pretty successful for PJ. Almost 1 million views for one of the videos in 4 days. 

Can't wait for the new record and the tour. 
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,311
    Jason P said:
    It fits the profile of a kinda non-PJ song first big single release of the last three albums.  The Fixer, Sirens, and DOTC are meant to be radio hits.  

Not trying nitpick but wasn't Mind Your Manners the lead single from LB?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,094
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DL136722 said:
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:

THAT'S WHY THAT BASS LINE SOUNDED SO FAMILIAR. thank you!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Oh yeah definitely a similar bassline.  It totally works though, nice and groovy
  • Options
    Uncle SnuffyUncle Snuffy Posts: 950
    edited January 2020
    I give them an “A” for trying something different.  I give them a “C” for execution.

I’d prefer the synth sound in the first ~20-25 seconds be removed and then remove the last ~25-30 seconds of the song to shorten/tighten it up so I don’t lose interest.  

It will be interesting to hear how it sounds when performed live.  
    Updated impression.    Upgrading from a “C” to a “B”.   :)
    Soldier Field - Jul 11, 1995, Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996,
    Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium - Nov 14, 1997,
    Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium - Nov 15, 1997, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 27, 1998, United Center - Jun 29, 1998, Riverport Amphitheatre - Jul 02, 1998, Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000, Assembly Hall - Apr 23, 2003
    United Center - Jun 18, 2003, Fox Theatre - Oct 05, 2004, United Center - May 16, 2006, United Center - May 17, 2006, United Center - Aug 23, 2009, United Center - Aug 24, 2009, Sprint Center - May 03, 2010, Scottrade Center - May 04, 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,973
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DL136722 said:
    DL136722 said:
    TR136913 said:

MANY songs have the rhythm and feel. Ever listen to the blues?
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,184
    edited January 2020
    I so played it for a buddy of mine the other night.  He likes PJ but not anywhere even close to as much as most of us here (not a chance he could even name half of their albums).  We listened and watched the video.  It ended and he looked at me and said...I think I need to hear it like 6 more times.  After about 6 or 7 more listens he absolutely loves it.  Just thought it would be interesting to share a story from a very casual PJ fan.
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,565
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    desolatejoydesolatejoy London Posts: 274
    The more I hear the song, the less it sounds “dancey”, cold or computerised & the more it sounds like a cool, funky, post-punk rock song. Think the Mach II vid helped even more with that today. 
    Wembley Arena, London - 28/10/96
    Wembley Arena, London - 30/05/00 
    Wembley Arena, London - 18/06/07
    02 Arena, London - 18/08/09
    Hammersmith Apollo, London - 30/07/12 EV Solo
    Bowl, Milton Keynes - 11/07/2014
    Hammersmith Apollo, London - 06/06/17 EV Solo
    O2 Arena, London - 18/06/18
    O2 Arena, London - 17/07/18

It's an art to live with pain, mix the light into grey...
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    How would people feel if this song blew up? I know some people seem to be kind of "protective" of the band.
    I think it would be pretty cool if they had a single that was contemporary and relevant, but it doesn't really bother me either way.