The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    My biggest beef with Bloomberg is his authoritarian impulses. Orchestrated the push to allow himself a third term as mayor then immediately led the effort to change the law back after he was re-elected. He was a proponent of stop-and-frisk and advocates for strict drug policy. His position on the Chinese government is abysmal (see linked article and ignore stupid headline).

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/12/michael-bloomberg-china-pbs-climate-xi-dictator.html
    oh also csnt seem to stick with a party.....
    Well we've got that shit on both sides of the D spectrum..  PJ44, thanks for the article. I'm going to read it a little later. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,083
    edited January 2020
    The Klobb is pretty nice to listen to when she's talking in a relatively informell situation:

https://youtu.be/J27dQ55_mcY
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • DES MOINES — A Democratic super PAC wanted to undermine Senator Bernie Sanders’s presidential candidacy just days before the Iowa caucuses. It may have handed him a gift instead.

Mr. Sanders’s campaign said on Wednesday that it had raised more than $1.3 million since it began fund-raising the day before off a negative ad produced by the super PAC that targets Mr. Sanders by name.

The ad, backed by the political action arm of the group Democratic Majority for Israel, argues that Mr. Sanders, of Vermont, would be unable to beat President Trump in the November general election, citing his heart attack nearly five months ago and his left-wing ideology as evidence that he would be too risky a choice for Iowa caucusgoers focused on winning back the White House.

https://youtu.be/gOdMo2D9jbk

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/29/us/politics/bernie-sanders-attack-ads.html

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,520
    pjl44 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Biden sure is something. Maybe he'll instead vote for a fascist and be proud of it like @mcgruff10

Biden won’t commit to backing Sanders if he’s the nominee

https://apnews.com/0c9c652ec75fc4d6b14e69006c34d14f

Just a quick recap of my presidential voting history:
    1996 (were you in 2nd grade this year): bill clinton
    2000: Al Gore
    2004: John Kerry
    2008/12: Barack Obama
    2016: Hillary Clinton

I am center left and really really don't agree with the policies of Sanders or Warren so if they were the dems candidate I'd have to really take a long look at my vote but honestly I'd probably vote Trump.  I think I agree with him more with him than the extreme left.

So again, how are the democrats doing in your country?  Which one are you hoping gets elected?
    The bolded is all you have to say. It says everything.

Not allowed to discuss Sweden in relations to the US is my understanding.  So you have to check with Kat first if I can respond to that. Whatever relevance to the thread it has?
    So what exactly does it say about me?  I don't agree with the far left.  Sanders and Warren are worse candidates than Hillary.  Pete, Biden, even Yang I would vote for but not the other two.  I hate  warren's stance on college loan forgiveness and breaking up corporations like amazon and how on earth are we ever going to afford everything Bernie promises?  
    lol at "far left" 

and what it says about you. I just responded to that, so let me paraphrase myself.

You are proud to be voting for a fascist and a serial rapist who is tearing up anything that has to do with fighting climate change. 
    Proud?  no.  I'd be pissed that my party voted in a candidate that is way too far left for my liking.  

You’d prefer trump gutted health insurance from 20+ million Americans rather than sanders make sure all could get access?
    Wherein "gutted health insurance" is people unenrolling from plans now that they're no longer required to buy them and "access" is taking away private insurance (including that which many unions have fought hard for) and replacing it with a centralized federal system that will conservatively double the entire annual budget

I agree the first step should be voluntary, Medicare if u want it. Keep your current plan if you like.

but if we are framing it under Mcgruff’s choice, the Sanders option is much better than the trump option. The Sanders option works in most of the world, but it will be challenging to implement here. But that’s still better than the medical deaths and bankruptcies that will occur if Trump steals another election.

I prefer the Pete, Amy or Joe option in the middle.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,148
    pjl44 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Biden sure is something. Maybe he'll instead vote for a fascist and be proud of it like @mcgruff10

Biden won’t commit to backing Sanders if he’s the nominee

https://apnews.com/0c9c652ec75fc4d6b14e69006c34d14f

Just a quick recap of my presidential voting history:
    1996 (were you in 2nd grade this year): bill clinton
    2000: Al Gore
    2004: John Kerry
    2008/12: Barack Obama
    2016: Hillary Clinton

I am center left and really really don't agree with the policies of Sanders or Warren so if they were the dems candidate I'd have to really take a long look at my vote but honestly I'd probably vote Trump.  I think I agree with him more with him than the extreme left.

So again, how are the democrats doing in your country?  Which one are you hoping gets elected?
    The bolded is all you have to say. It says everything.

Not allowed to discuss Sweden in relations to the US is my understanding.  So you have to check with Kat first if I can respond to that. Whatever relevance to the thread it has?
    So what exactly does it say about me?  I don't agree with the far left.  Sanders and Warren are worse candidates than Hillary.  Pete, Biden, even Yang I would vote for but not the other two.  I hate  warren's stance on college loan forgiveness and breaking up corporations like amazon and how on earth are we ever going to afford everything Bernie promises?  
    lol at "far left" 

and what it says about you. I just responded to that, so let me paraphrase myself.

You are proud to be voting for a fascist and a serial rapist who is tearing up anything that has to do with fighting climate change. 
    Proud?  no.  I'd be pissed that my party voted in a candidate that is way too far left for my liking.  

You’d prefer trump gutted health insurance from 20+ million Americans rather than sanders make sure all could get access?
    Wherein "gutted health insurance" is people unenrolling from plans now that they're no longer required to buy them and "access" is taking away private insurance (including that which many unions have fought hard for) and replacing it with a centralized federal system that will conservatively double the entire annual budget

I agree the first step should be voluntary, Medicare if u want it. Keep your current plan if you like.

but if we are framing it under Mcgruff’s choice, the Sanders option is much better than the trump option. The Sanders option works in most of the world, but it will be challenging to implement here. But that’s still better than the medical deaths and bankruptcies that will occur if Trump steals another election.

I prefer the Pete, Amy or Joe option in the middle.
    The Sanders option couldn't even be implemented in Vermont. That's how untenable it is.

https://www.politico.com/story/2014/12/single-payer-vermont-113711

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,619
    I told my sister I am voting for Yang in the primaries.  She basically said, well, yeah, the primaries are a good place to make a statement.  I thought that was about right, but also a good way to get new ideas out there- like MATH, Make America Think Harder.  I hope Yang's run at least gets some interest rolling.

Bottom line for me (stating the obvious), whoever wins the Democratic nomination will get my vote.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/30/opinions/iowa-caucus-goers-choose-moderate-houlahan/index.html

Congresswoman: Iowa, send someone who can win my state

Chrissy Houlahan is the US Democratic representative from Pennsylvania's 6th District. She is the New Democrat Coalition's freshman leader. The views expressed in this commentary are her own.

Dear Iowa and New Hampshire voters,

You will have immense influence over who our 2020 presidential Democratic nominee will be. There are many compelling candidates from which to choose, but on behalf of Democrats everywhere, I ask one important thing: Send us someone who can win a state like mine in the general election this November.
    I represent a competitive district in Pennsylvania, one of the battleground states that decided the last election and could very well decide this one. And Pennsylvania isn't alone. If less than 80,000 well-placed votes across three states -- Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania -- had changed in 2016, Hillary Clinton would be president. And no matter what early polls are saying right now, President Donald Trump could win these states again.
    To help in your decision, let me tell you a little bit about the state I come from.
      Like the other so-called "Blue Wall" states, Pennsylvania voted for every Democratic presidential nominee from 1992 to 2012. That was before falling to Trump by a scant 44,000 votes in 2016. Interestingly, in the county encompassing Pittsburgh, Clinton outperformed President Barack Obama, and in the county encompassing Philadelphia, Clinton came close to Obama's turnout.
      Compared with 2012, the problem wasn't turnout in urban areas. Rather, Trump overperformed in several high-turnout rural counties in Pennsylvania.
      So, how do we beat Trump in 2020? The same way Democrats in swing districts like mine did in 2018 across the country: by staying mindful of the middle-class jobs that are supporting small towns and rural America across the county.
      A quick example is trade. Many of the farmers I know are by nature independent. They aren't tied to partisan loyalty and might vote for a Democrat, but not if many Democrats appear to reflexively believe that all trade deals are bad. The simple fact is that farmers need better trade agreements to sell their goods. We have to show them we're ready to help.
      In Pennsylvania, our mushroom farms are woven into the fabric of Pennsylvania life, but they're struggling. Trump's steel and aluminum tariffs have raised packaging costs, while the ongoing trade war has put them on their heels against overseas competition.

It isn't just Pennsylvania, either. Two dairy farms are closing every day in Wisconsin, another important swing state, in part because of Trump's trade policies. Farmers know what's happening. Rural Americans live the reality that other Americans read about only in the headlines. That's going to matter, and Democrats need to speak to those concerns.
      Take health care as another example. For years, union workers collectively fought for the best health care benefits among middle-class families nationwide. Many sacrificed raises and other benefits to do so. Those same workers will not be willing to trade those victories in for a single-payer Medicare for All plan. It may not be as good as the coverage they already have and may come with higher taxes for the middle class.
      The way to win on health care is by building on the Affordable Care Act to cover everyone, making sure people can keep their employer coverage, and most importantly, lowering people's out-of-pocket costs. That's true for union workers in Pennsylvania. But make no mistake, it will also be true in Michigan, which voted for Trump by less than 12,000 votes and has a tremendous union presence.

Trust me. I help lead the New Democrat Coalition, a caucus of forward-looking Democrats in the House, which includes members who flipped seats blue in 2018 -- ushering in a new Democratic majority. They won by meeting voters where they are on issues like trade and health care, and proposing practical, pragmatic solutions for the American people.
      If we are to win back the White House, this is how we will get it done. To the voters in Iowa and New Hampshire, please keep that in mind when it comes time to vote in February.
      I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
      Awesome rebuttal as usual.  
      Oh my.. I wish this Tweeter wasn't so "unsettled".  I'm so worried about his delicate soul.  
    • mrussel1 said:
      Oh my.. I wish this Tweeter wasn't so "unsettled".  I'm so worried about his delicate soul.  
      Pounding the table.
    • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,745
      umm did you even read the open letter? or did you headline scan immediately search for a meme?

This congresswoman seemed pretty straightforward to me, without endorsing one over another.  given how she won in 18, makes sense that thats the play for now too.....

anyway, you can't vote here, so win for us.....
      _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
      you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
      memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
      another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
      mrussel1 said:
      Pounding the table.
      Dude, then stop pounding.  
      edited January 2020
      mickeyrat said:

You keep coming back to this thing. You can't really let it go for some odd reason, and you doesn't seem to understand it has nothing to do with participating in this thread. Interesting. 
      The imperial presidency continues.  This needs to stop.  
      edited January 2020
      mrussel1 said:
      mrussel1 said:
      Pounding the table.
      Dude, then stop pounding.  
      https://player.vimeo.com/video/340549245

No pounding here.

• As Biden Makes Push in Iowa, His Ground Game May Have Some Gaps

Democratic officials and some activists for the candidate say Joe Biden’s Iowa organization is weak in some areas, which could hurt him on caucus night. Biden aides say they have plenty of boots on the ground.

DUBUQUE, Iowa — This city on the bluffs of the Mississippi River, which rose as a hub of furniture-making and brewing, ought to be a stronghold for Joseph R. Biden Jr. It is a blue-collar enclave with a Catholic heritage, aligning with his working class pitch to voters. Its 31-year-old, labor-connected congresswoman, Abby Finkenauer, has endorsed Mr. Biden.

But as Dan Corken, one of Mr. Biden’s most fervent volunteers, knocks on doors here, he is dubious about the candidate’s prospects just days out from Monday’s caucuses.

“If you want to look at the Biden community in Dubuque, the average age is probably about 72,” he said. “I’m having difficulties imagining some of the people I’m talking to door-knocking getting out on February 3 in the cold to go caucus.”

As Mr. Corken approached the first house on a list of potential Biden backers on Tuesday, a volunteer for Bernie Sanders swooped in and planted two signs in the yard before Mr. Corken reached the door.

“We’re all Bernie,” a man at the door told Mr. Corken.

Caucuses are low-turnout affairs, making grass-roots organizing an essential factor for doing well in Iowa. Well-tooled campaigns depend on a paid field staff and armies of volunteers to identify supporters, ensure they turn out and provide leadership in the many school cafeterias and churches that serve as caucus rooms.

But according to nearly a dozen county Democratic chairs and Biden activists around the state, Mr. Biden’s ground game has weak spots that threaten him with underperforming his polling in Iowa, where he has consistently been at or near the top.
      How did Ted Cruz do after winning Iowa?

• Interesting looking at polls over time. Biden is relatively static but in the lead. Sanders is (at least lately) on a rise and Warren is dropping. 

Do you think anything could threaten Bidens 25+ baseline or will he keep it and later on eat up Mayor Petes, Bloombergs and Klobbys support if/when they drop out?
    • mcgruff10 said:
      Guess he was the same sleazeball as before winning?
    • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,745
      mcgruff10 said:
      yeah the same sleazeball who isnt president.
      _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
      you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
      memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
      another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
      edited January 2020
      mickeyrat said:
      mcgruff10 said:
      yeah the same sleazeball who isnt president.
      Thought he had merged with the current President through osmosis and lack of character. 
    • Lol. Republicans. You go Bidey.
      https://youtu.be/O453Z2MZl-s

Interesting looking at polls over time. Biden is relatively static but in the lead. Sanders is (at least lately) on a rise and Warren is dropping. 

Do you think anything could threaten Bidens 25+ baseline or will he keep it and later on eat up Mayor Petes, Bloombergs and Klobbys support if/when they drop out?
      You should read the report from teh Post on "second choice".  It's a good analysis on where they think votes will go after their candidates drop.  It's hard to see anyone but Warren's supporters (and Yang) going to Sanders.  The rest should generally go to Biden, but the problem is will Bloomberg stay in longer than Warren?  Whoever vanquishes their key opponent first has a great start at earning the pledged delegates they need.  
    • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,148
      mrussel1 said:
      The imperial presidency continues.  This needs to stop.  
      That was my first thought, too. Is "Look at what I'll do as King" supposed to be an appealing platform?
    • mrussel1 said:

Interesting looking at polls over time. Biden is relatively static but in the lead. Sanders is (at least lately) on a rise and Warren is dropping. 

You should read the report from teh Post on "second choice".  It's a good analysis on where they think votes will go after their candidates drop.  It's hard to see anyone but Warren's supporters (and Yang) going to Sanders.  The rest should generally go to Biden, but the problem is will Bloomberg stay in longer than Warren?  Whoever vanquishes their key opponent first has a great start at earning the pledged delegates they need.  
      Will do. Thank you!
    • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332
      mickeyrat said:

You keep coming back to this thing. You can't really let it go for some odd reason, and you doesn't seem to understand it has nothing to do with participating in this thread. Interesting. 
      Hmmmm foreign influence over our elections?  
      hippiemom = goodness
    This discussion has been closed.