Options

The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    anyone think the optics of an old white guy choosing a black woman as his right hand might backfire?
    I can't speak to the optics of that but just in general, I don't see how Harris could be beneficial to Biden as a running mate. Wasn't he doing better with black voters than her when she dropped out? If she can't help bring in black voters, she's useless. And actually, she might be to his detriment. She's already been rejected by the democratic electorate if she's dropping out before the primaries. And that's the democratic electorate. In a general election, where Biden (or whoever) will be looking to gain votes from independents and people that regret their 2016 Trump vote, Harris as the running-mate will be more hurtful than helpful I think. 

The "democratic electorate" is almost a scary as Trump. 

Haha. Yeah, health care and education for everyone sure is scary.

Anyways, I agree with Ledbetterman10. Harris would be a bad choice, nothing to be gained by it.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,126
    anyone think the optics of an old white guy choosing a black woman as his right hand might backfire?
    Didn’t seem to hurt the black guy when he picked the old white guy.
    why would it? black people never had white people as slaves in america. all I'm saying is, in today's political climate, where everyone finds something to be offended about in everything, I could see far lefties and feminists turning on harris for looking as if she's "serving" the old rich white guy. 
    Hmmm, I didn’t even get the point of your post apparently. 

Now that I do, no I don’t think it matters. I don’t see picking an African-american running mate as buying a slave. But I’ve been wrong before ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    dignin said:
    I can't speak to the optics of that but just in general, I don't see how Harris could be beneficial to Biden as a running mate. Wasn't he doing better with black voters than her when she dropped out? If she can't help bring in black voters, she's useless. And actually, she might be to his detriment. She's already been rejected by the democratic electorate if she's dropping out before the primaries. And that's the democratic electorate. In a general election, where Biden (or whoever) will be looking to gain votes from independents and people that regret their 2016 Trump vote, Harris as the running-mate will be more hurtful than helpful I think. 

Anyways, I agree with Ledbetterman10. Harris would be a bad choice, nothing to be gained by it.
    Hahahaha. Yeah cause that’s all they are talking about.  What does education for everyone mean anyhow? Wanna be an art history major? Go to school for free! Wanna major in underwater basket weaving? Get your degree for free! 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    why would it? black people never had white people as slaves in america. all I'm saying is, in today's political climate, where everyone finds something to be offended about in everything, I could see far lefties and feminists turning on harris for looking as if she's "serving" the old rich white guy. 
    It's funny that you say this, along with the comment about how Biden is doing fine with black voters without her.  All of this is true and is totally ironic.  It's the woke white voters that are as concerned, if not more, than the actual black voters.  It's no different than the Ralph Northam issue here in VA with the black face.  White Democrats, by a 2 to 1 margin, were more likely to say he should resign than actual black voters.  The last poll I saw on that said that 65% of black voters supported Northam staying in office.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    It's funny that you say this, along with the comment about how Biden is doing fine with black voters without her.  All of this is true and is totally ironic.  It's the woke white voters that are as concerned, if not more, than the actual black voters.  It's no different than the Ralph Northam issue here in VA with the black face.  White Democrats, by a 2 to 1 margin, were more likely to say he should resign than actual black voters.  The last poll I saw on that said that 65% of black voters supported Northam staying in office.  
    No shit, they obviously have more to lose if a republican was their next governor.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    No shit, they obviously have more to lose if a republican was their next governor.
    That's exactly right.  They are focused on results and improving their lives.  White straight liberals do not have as much at stake as the actual minorities.  They can afford to be 'pure'.  
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,148
    dignin said:

Hahahaha. Yeah cause that’s all they are talking about.  What does education for everyone mean anyhow? Wanna be an art history major? Go to school for free! Wanna major in underwater basket weaving? Get your degree for free! 

It would be great if Democrats lowered cost of public tuition provided  some debt relief and provided a subsidized medicare option 

But promising free free free does not work in America and its stunning a national politician like Warren doesnt get it 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    That's exactly right.  They are focused on results and improving their lives.  White straight liberals do not have as much at stake as the actual minorities.  They can afford to be 'pure'.  
    With me this has nothing to do with purity, I see too many risks with Biden. If he wins the primary I would hit the streets and campaign for him if I could but I worry he's going to blow it. Like Hillary he was the "safe" candidate, I just don't believe that's going to get the number one job done, beating the orange fuckface.

I think motivating the democratic base is the path to victory, I don't think Biden is the one to get that done.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    With me this has nothing to do with purity, I see too many risks with Biden. If he wins the primary I would hit the streets and campaign for him if I could but I worry he's going to blow it. Like Hillary he was the "safe" candidate, I just don't believe that's going to get the number one job done, beating the orange fuckface.

I think motivating the democratic base is the path to victory, I don't think Biden is the one to get that done.
    That's fine and fair.  I was more talking about Hugh's concern whether have Harris on the ticket would be bad optics.  My opinion, black people by and large would not be insulted.  If anyone was insulted, I could see hardcore white liberals as the ones.  That's why I brought up the Ralph example.  
  • Options
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    This is getting scary. That is a :31 clip that is a goldmine for the other side. I really prefer if the Democrats refrain from giving them any ammo at all.
    That's an old clip, but I'm sure there are many more.

Biden is not the guy to beat Trump like a drum.
    Then find that person.  It ain't Warren.  I hope it's Pete, but I fear he's too nice.  I want to see him get amped.  
    I think Pete and Warren would mop the floor with Trump in a debate. Can you say with confidence that Biden would?
    Debates don't win presidencies and debates are not judged by a panel on the merits.  I think the whole debate thing is rather silly.  I don't even watch them anymore. It used to bre more meaningful when people got their information from the nightly news and newspapers. 
    I disagree. To think that a debate can't win or lose a presidency ignores history. Especially in a historical period where elections have been decided by only thousands of votes.
    And I hate to say it, but the debates matter more than ever in this world full of memes and sound bites. 
    Ben - you'd be right except for the debates also turn into sound bites.  
    Oh, I just said that the debates matter more than ever, not that they produce good or bad. This is exactly what I meant - the debates matter, but not in a positive way, because these debates are just so easy to exploit.
    Ha!  Well I guess I can't argue that one.  They are definitely expoitable.  I'm still seething over the "raise your hands if you support healthcare for undocumented immigrant" question.  
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:

That's fine and fair.  I was more talking about Hugh's concern whether have Harris on the ticket would be bad optics.  My opinion, black people by and large would not be insulted.  If anyone was insulted, I could see hardcore white liberals as the ones.  That's why I brought up the Ralph example.  
    yeah, I could see that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    “Actual minorities?” Are there fake minorities? Please expound. And who are “they?”
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    “Actual minorities?” Are there fake minorities? Please expound. And who are “they?”
    Pretty easy to read actually.  He is talking about "White Straight Liberals" vs minorities.  and the "White Straight Liberals" can afford to be 'pure' in their politics cause the effects of the candidate losing to the R doesn't really affect them.  And certainly not as much as the minorities.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Super woke reply by you.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Pretty easy to read actually.  He is talking about "White Straight Liberals" vs minorities.  and the "White Straight Liberals" can afford to be 'pure' in their politics cause the effects of the candidate losing to the R doesn't really affect them.  And certainly not as much as the minorities.  
    Are there minorities or “actual minorities?” Do people pretend to be minorities or are there fake minorities? Thanks mrussel, I appreciate your response.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Are there minorities or “actual minorities?” Do people pretend to be minorities or are there fake minorities? Thanks mrussel, I appreciate your response.
    Dude you are just trying to paint something that isn't there.  And I'm allowed to comment on it.  Especially when it's easy to understand.  Perhaps read for comprehension instead of read to try and come up with an attack?  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah dude.  I'm speaking specifically about the documentary "Soul Man", which was the academic response to the Eddie Murphy documentary "White Like Me". You should educate yourself on these historical studies.

https://youtu.be/l_LeJfn_qW0
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah dude.  I'm speaking specifically about the documentary "Soul Man", which was the academic response to the Eddie Murphy documentary "White Like Me". You should educate yourself on these historical studies.

And that was clear as sunshine and should have been clearly evident by your use of the term “actual minorities.” My bad.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Dude you are just trying to paint something that isn't there.  And I'm allowed to comment on it.  Especially when it's easy to understand.  Perhaps read for comprehension instead of read to try and come up with an attack?  
    Asking a question is now an “attack?” What or how did I attack mrussel?

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:

And that was clear as sunshine and should have been clearly evident by your use of the term “actual minorities.” My bad.
    I think my sentence was crystal clear.  Cincy got it.  I was comparing the white straight liberals to minorities.  I would hope the word 'actual' didn't offend you.  If it did, then you did an excellent job of making my point.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I'm probably going to have to report you.  My apologies in advance.  
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    I don't have anything against Harris but she is pretty abrasive.  While I like that trait in her I don't think it translates well in our current environment.  I really don't see a Biden/Harris ticket.  I'm still thinking Biden/Buttigieg or Biden/Booker
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Rachel Dolezal
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Perhaps "attack" isnt the right word.  But again, you get hung up on the minutiae.  It's really bizarre.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Perhaps "attack" isnt the right word.  But again, you get hung up on the minutiae.  It's really bizarre.
    not really bizarre. typical of a passive/aggressive internet bullshit. sets it up just short of an attack, so you think one is coming or has already arrived (it will or it has), you get on the defense to try to pre-empt it, so you defend yourself/your position thinking you were actually just challenged/insulted (you were) while he has just enough plausible deniability to claim ignorance and then tells you to "calm down".

it's old and and it's weak and it's so fucking transparent. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jeffbr said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Rachel Dolezal
    She is definitely a minority. How many people fake their race?
  • Options
    dignin said:
    jeffbr said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Rachel Dolezal
    She is definitely a minority. How many people fake their race?
    Ha!  Nice one.  
  • Options
    I don't have anything against Harris but she is pretty abrasive.  While I like that trait in her I don't think it translates well in our current environment.  I really don't see a Biden/Harris ticket.  I'm still thinking Biden/Buttigieg or Biden/Booker
    Biden Booker feels right.  I don't see Pete simply because he doesn't bring anything specific if he doesn't get the nomination himself.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    not really bizarre. typical of a passive/aggressive internet bullshit. sets it up just short of an attack, so you think one is coming or has already arrived (it will or it has), you get on the defense to try to pre-empt it, so you defend yourself/your position thinking you were actually just challenged/insulted (you were) while he has just enough plausible deniability to claim ignorance and then tells you to "calm down".

it's old and and it's weak and it's so fucking transparent. 
    That’s weak. Because I asked a question requesting clarification or for further explanation?  You can report me along with mrussel.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    jeffbr said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Rachel Dolezal
    Who’s that? A minority of one? Are there others?

Brilliantati©
This discussion has been closed.