The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,155
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    Can anyone imagine Bernie ordering up a drone strike?
    Yes. Of Wall Street. ;)

Nice. Wishing the deaths of Americans in New York City. Congrats comrade.
    Where should I want drone strikes?
    Putin’s house? Terrorist camps? 

I can think of others but since you are taking my response seriously I won’t mention them, cause some Americans would be there ;) 
    Just making it clear who we're allowed to wish death on.....
    If you are a better person then me, no one ;)

Dude it was a joke, lighten up Boris.
    *than
    Thanks mom. 

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/09/us/nypd-bronx-shooting/index.html

Wonder what good old Mr Davis JR has to say about this. We talk about how words matter with trump. I wonder if words matter when others constantly harp on racism within the police force as a whole.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    Yes. Of Wall Street. ;)

I can think of others but since you are taking my response seriously I won’t mention them, cause some Americans would be there ;) 

*than
    Thanks mom. 

*Thanks, mom. 
  • Options

Wonder what good old Mr Davis JR has to say about this. We talk about how words matter with trump. I wonder if words matter when others constantly harp on racism within the police force as a whole.
    Why the fuck would it matter what a city-councilperson in South Bend, Indiana thinks about a shooting in the Bronx?
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    I appreciate Klobuchar's connection to the agricultural community, her understanding of their needs. Her campaign page on climate -- https://amyklobuchar.com/issue/climate/ -- states the impact of climate change on our food system. I wish she would take it one stage further and state that our food system impacts climate change, but I don't think America is ready for that. We need to change our food system, and in a hurry, if we are to make any progress toward stabilizing global warming. 
    I'm going to see how she does in New Hampshire before I donate to her campaign. Not throwing money at a candidate who drops out a week after I donate. But I do still have hopes for her. 
    Yeah this is where I start to feel bad about myself. Like Amy, don’t donate cause I’m afraid it’s wasted $...but if I don’t donate I’m not helping....such a tough decision when you want to have the most impact for whatever you are willing to give. And giving to a political campaign always feels a little wasteful to me anyhow. Better charities ;)
    I agree, it's a self-perpetuating cycle. I have never donated money to a candidate before because I've always donated my time as a volunteer. This primary season, I just haven't had the time to give, so it's my way of making up for it.  I'm talking $25.00, that's it.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,492
    edited February 2020
    ecdanc said:

And the Bernie Bros are at it again. Tearing down opposition with bullshit. You know what, no longer do I just dislike bernies platform and how he campaigns. I just dislike him as a person now. High and mighty dirty old bullshitter. 
    Please defend this, you being a Pete Pal:

I’m would have to look into more than the Bernie / Russian troll farm posts.

still waiting for you to defend Bernie lying about Warren. 
    He said he did not say it. 

Still waiting for you defending Warrens campaign putting out lies about Bernie?

There you go.

And look into it. I check back tomorrow.
    I looked briefly and wasn’t disturbed. He seems to say that it’s 2 groups not really against each other. 1 wants safety for AA and other want safety for police officers. 

Just wanna follow up on you saying you are not disturbed. You say that "He (pete) seems to says" and then that is what it is. So it is your perception that the police t-shirt are not a response to the "I can't breathe" t-shirts? You are saying that they do not stand against each other then?

Then explain to me, what does the police (and Pete defending them) mean by "Breathe easy. Don't break the law" ?  What does the "Breathe easy" means if it is not a comment on the "I can't breathe" tshirts?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    Yes. Of Wall Street. ;)

*than
    Thanks mom. 

*Thanks, mom. 
    If I you had any idea about the conversation I have with my mom and my purposeful terrible English to drive her nuts, you would be laughing too ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ecdanc said:

And the Bernie Bros are at it again. Tearing down opposition with bullshit. You know what, no longer do I just dislike bernies platform and how he campaigns. I just dislike him as a person now. High and mighty dirty old bullshitter. 

There you go.

I looked briefly and wasn’t disturbed. He seems to say that it’s 2 groups not really against each other. 1 wants safety for AA and other want safety for police officers. 

Just wanna follow up on you saying you are not disturbed. You say that "He (pete) seems to says" and then that is what it is. So it is your perception that the police t-shirt are not a response to the "I can't breathe" t-shirts? You are saying that they do not stand against each other then?

Then explain to me, what does the police (and Pete defending them) mean by "Breathe easy. Don't break the law" ?  What does the "Breathe easy" means if it is not a comment on the "I can't breathe" tshirts?
    I’m saying it certainly was a response and not a good one. But when you feel attacked as a whole for the actions of a few, you get defensive. 

And I prefer a response like Pete’s to people that stir up anger and confrontation
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ecdanc said:

Why the fuck would it matter what a city-councilperson in South Bend, Indiana thinks about a shooting in the Bronx?
    The the fuck does it matter what you say about anything? Or what a Swede says about the Us election? What a weird comment to make.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,802
    ecdanc said:

There you go.

I’m saying it certainly was a response and not a good one. But when you feel attacked as a whole for the actions of a few, you get defensive. 

And I prefer a response like Pete’s to people that stir up anger and confrontation
    Pete handled that situation well.  He's in charge of the PD ultimately and needs them to know that he supports individual officers along with the public. It's easy for twitter douches to criticize when the vast majority have never actually lead anything.
  • Options
    ecdanc said:

The the fuck does it matter what you say about anything? Or what a Swede says about the Us election? What a weird comment to make.
    I have good ears--heard a dog whistle. 
  • Options
    Two articles from Blue Virginia, a widely read blog in a still purple state. Even though Democrats took over the entire state legislator in 2019 with "Black-Face" Northam still in office (a major accomplishment in this state, believe me it's huge), it is still a tremendously fragile claim on power. Over-reach could be detrimental if Democrats are not careful in their first legislative session, which has yet to wrap up.

This article stops one-sentence short of a Sanders endorsement, in my view, and it's surprising in this state.   https://bluevirginia.us/2020/02/stop-asking-who-can-beat-trump

This article reports on Bloomberg's mobilization in the state. https://bluevirginia.us/2020/01/bloomberg-campaign-announces-virginia-leadership-team
    Bloomberg has been advertising heavily in the Northern Virginia area (and I would imagine in other Democratic areas of the state). A friend of mine asked me about Bloomberg last week, and I told her to be cautious. We are both teachers, and his record on education in NYC is abysmal. We are finally making gains against the tyranny of corporate interests inherent in NCLB (now called ESSA). Bloomberg will not be a friend of public education anywhere.
  • Options
    Two articles from Blue Virginia, a widely read blog in a still purple state. Even though Democrats took over the entire state legislator in 2019 with "Black-Face" Northam still in office (a major accomplishment in this state, believe me it's huge), it is still a tremendously fragile claim on power. Over-reach could be detrimental if Democrats are not careful in their first legislative session, which has yet to wrap up.

This article stops one-sentence short of a Sanders endorsement, in my view, and it's surprising in this state.   https://bluevirginia.us/2020/02/stop-asking-who-can-beat-trump

This article reports on Bloomberg's mobilization in the state. https://bluevirginia.us/2020/01/bloomberg-campaign-announces-virginia-leadership-team
    Bloomberg has been advertising heavily in the Northern Virginia area (and I would imagine in other Democratic areas of the state). A friend of mine asked me about Bloomberg last week, and I told her to be cautious. We are both teachers, and his record on education in NYC is abysmal. We are finally making gains against the tyranny of corporate interests inherent in NCLB (now called ESSA). Bloomberg will not be a friend of public education anywhere.
    I think the session has gone well, although I would have liked to seen some movement on legalization.  The moves on guns were ballot issues so there was an expectation of movement, and the moves are meaningful but not radical.  I think the Democrats grip on the executive wing and the two senators is firm.  Certainly the delegates could flip again but the trend has been so clear since 2012. I think that's the last time a Republican won a statewide election.  The rally on MLK was driven by out of state agitators.  
    I've seen a fair amount of Bloomberg ads in Richmond.  I haven't seen ads for anyone else yet, but that doesn't surprise me.  They'll be here soon. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

I have good ears--heard a dog whistle. 
    Honestly you got shit. You are a human dog whistle.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

Oh and it's always been interesting to me that Northam has remained very popular with the AA community in VA throughout that whole ordeal.  It reaffirms what I've always believed, that the community is focused on actual results and Northam living up to his commitments, not focusing on shit from 35 years ago in a different time and place.  
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    mrussel1 said:

I think the session has gone well, although I would have liked to seen some movement on legalization.  The moves on guns were ballot issues so there was an expectation of movement, and the moves are meaningful but not radical.  I think the Democrats grip on the executive wing and the two senators is firm.  Certainly the delegates could flip again but the trend has been so clear since 2012. I think that's the last time a Republican won a statewide election.  The rally on MLK was driven by out of state agitators.  
    I've seen a fair amount of Bloomberg ads in Richmond.  I haven't seen ads for anyone else yet, but that doesn't surprise me.  They'll be here soon. 
    As far as presidential politics goes, yes, VA will NOT go to Trump in the general, for sure. But as far as the primaries go, I still think we're all over the map on who will win the VA primary delegates. Even in NOVA, which is generally blue, there is a lot of military, as there also is in Hampton Roads. The very friend I mentioned above has a military husband. He voted for Trump and I have no doubt he will again.

In the current session, I've been mostly following education issues (funding and testing, in particular) and the collective bargaining rights issues. There have been compromises made in committee, and I'm disappointed by all of them -- cutting funding for counselors and English language teachers, for example, while making it more difficult for unions to negotiate across the state. The compromised bill coming from the Senate kicks it down to localities to decide, which in effect will make it impossible for poorer, rural school districts to do anything to improve conditions for students and teachers.
    I can't speak for the rest of the state, only what I see coming from my district which is still pretty conservative in spite of electing Danica Roem, our transgender heroine. Our local Board of Supervisor slot went to a Cory Stewart backed Hispanic female. Yes it's crazy but true -- our district elected both Danica Roem and Yesli Vega https://yestoyesli.com/. Roem won twice on transportation, not on being transgendered. We have one stretch of highway that could win hands-down the award for worst traffic in the entire NOVA area. So far, she has yet to make any progress on the roads and public transit, while developers still run amok with our local BOS. She's in the national spotlight for being transgendered, fine. But that's bringing in the nutcases from the rest of the country and now with Dems in charge in Richmond, diverting attention away from what she ran on. I have read that she has not handled well her committee chairperson-ship on transportation, that there has been confusion and rule-breaking (which I can see because she's a bit of a flake in the way she communicates and organizes). She could be defeated in a backlash, as could any of the delegates and senators from Prince William County where I live, if the Republicans put forth a good candidate against her.
    Post edited by what dreams on
  • Options
    ^ I see you added the NOT.. when I first read that, I thought you lost your mind.  I know it's always possible, but if we show up, it's Blue.  I admit to not watching education issues as closely as I do guns, legalization, and transportation, so your information is good for me.  I live in Henrico and we elected Spanberger who I really, really like.  I was proud to vote for her.  I don't watch NOVA as it has been solidly blue for a bit now, but I watch Henrico, Midlothian down to Hampton Roads and I feel great about the voting pattern.  But VA is essentially a moderate, business friendly state.  It needs to stay that way or there will be a backlash from the substantial educated, white collar voters who are dominant in the state.  
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Elizabeth Warren (paraphrasing from the recent ABC interview): I'm a capitalist. There are places where markets don't work - like in healthcare, and in education. But there are alot of areas where markets do work. But markets need rules.

Yeah, you're a social democrat m8. Just own up to it Elizabeth. 

Welcome to the sound middleground that with no problems gives women a legal right to stay home and heal up after giving birth, workers the legal right to rest up and have vacation and unions not being something to fear.

EDIT:

(I felt for Liz when she admitted that she can't afford pushing ads because of lack of funds and had to pull them back)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ^ I see you added the NOT.. when I first read that, I thought you lost your mind.  I know it's always possible, but if we show up, it's Blue.  I admit to not watching education issues as closely as I do guns, legalization, and transportation, so your information is good for me.  I live in Henrico and we elected Spanberger who I really, really like.  I was proud to vote for her.  I don't watch NOVA as it has been solidly blue for a bit now, but I watch Henrico, Midlothian down to Hampton Roads and I feel great about the voting pattern.  But VA is essentially a moderate, business friendly state.  It needs to stay that way or there will be a backlash from the substantial educated, white collar voters who are dominant in the state.  
    Haaha! Yes, as soon as I saw that, I thought, "I better change that or he'll think I've lost my mind!"  I agree with your assessment of VA in spite of my disappointment on education and collective bargaining. I uderstand the compromise, though I don't think now is the time to cut funding on counseling. Too many of our students are in crisis. I think money could be found. It's good for business.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Haaha! Yes, as soon as I saw that, I thought, "I better change that or he'll think I've lost my mind!"  I agree with your assessment of VA in spite of my disappointment on education and collective bargaining. I uderstand the compromise, though I don't think now is the time to cut funding on counseling. Too many of our students are in crisis. I think money could be found. It's good for business.
    100% agree, and I think we need to allocate more funds for student wellness.  I think it's a winning issue, as long as it doesn't get framed by the R's as a "union giveaway" or however they would frame it.  
  • Options
    As I watch the Dems falling apart and attacking each other... I keep struggling with what to do if it’s Trump v Bernie.... man this sucks not having a party that represent you. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

What does this even mean? Haha. what is a dog faced pony soldier?
  • Options
    As I watch the Dems falling apart and attacking each other... I keep struggling with what to do if it’s Trump v Bernie.... man this sucks not having a party that represent you. 
    If you are struggling on that issue, you have already lost.
  • Options
    Aren’t you an upper-middle-class white guy?
  • Options
    Yeah I know, I lose either way in different ways.  That’s the point. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    Mr Brady labeled maker has arrived!!! Go away. I’m done with your labeling bullshit 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    Aren't you?  Median household income is 63k.  Two PhD's in the family and all...
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Yeah I know, I lose either way in different ways.  That’s the point. 
    No, the point is --  if a man that has double digit rape accusations against him (one from a 13 year old), have no problems to in blackmailing a foreign nation with people in that country dying as a result and (still) wants to hang 5 kids because they are black (even after being found innocent) even is considered an option for you, then something 

https://youtu.be/GdvYHgE_ols

It should not be able to be an option. I don't know how it could.

But for some reason people are falling over to Trump in here, one by one. Like an Agatha Christie novel.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    Aren't you?  Median household income is 63k.  Two PhD's in the family and all...
    Yes, I am. And both parties represent my demographic (way more than I want them to). It would be absurd to say otherwise. 
This discussion has been closed.