mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    As I watch the Dems falling apart and attacking each other... I keep struggling with what to do if it’s Trump v Bernie.... man this sucks not having a party that represent you. 
    Aren’t you an upper-middle-class white guy?
    Aren't you?  Median household income is 63k.  Two PhD's in the family and all...
    Yes, I am. And both parties represent my demographic (way more than I want them to). It would be absurd to say otherwise. 
    So what was the point of your question to Cincy?
    To highlight the absurdity of him saying "man this sucks not having a party that represent [sic] you." 
    I think that shows the diversity of his perspective,  that it isn't simply cultural or economic. Neither of old white guys represent what I believe either,  regardless of how their policies affect me economically. 
    I think it shows obliviousness to his privilege; and yours, it appears. 
    How so? If I was oblivious,  then why wouldn't I vote for Trump?
    What? What are you even saying? Do you actually mean to imply that the only forms of obliviousness in existence would necessarily lead one to vote for Trump?
    You're rendering the judgment based on the very data point of voting in the general election.  My Lord, stay on point.  
    As luck would have it, my ideology is the only true path to righteousness 
    That is very fortunate for you.  And it makes it super easy to judge, knowing you're infallible in that judgment.  Congratulations.  
    I think I may have laid it on a little too thick
    I thought you were kidding
    I was. I couldn't tell if you were playing along or if you thought I was giving you a hard time.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,802
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    As I watch the Dems falling apart and attacking each other... I keep struggling with what to do if it’s Trump v Bernie.... man this sucks not having a party that represent you. 
    Aren't you?  Median household income is 63k.  Two PhD's in the family and all...
    Yes, I am. And both parties represent my demographic (way more than I want them to). It would be absurd to say otherwise. 
    To highlight the absurdity of him saying "man this sucks not having a party that represent [sic] you." 
    I think that shows the diversity of his perspective,  that it isn't simply cultural or economic. Neither of old white guys represent what I believe either,  regardless of how their policies affect me economically. 
    What? What are you even saying? Do you actually mean to imply that the only forms of obliviousness in existence would necessarily lead one to vote for Trump?
    You're rendering the judgment based on the very data point of voting in the general election.  My Lord, stay on point.  
    That is very fortunate for you.  And it makes it super easy to judge, knowing you're infallible in that judgment.  Congratulations.  
    I was. I couldn't tell if you were playing along or if you thought I was giving you a hard time.
    I was in for a pound
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    I was in for a pound
    Since you can’t be in for a Euro anymore. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    I was in for a pound
    Is this a se7en reference?

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,348
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    I was in for a pound

no.

in for a penny, in for a pound
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    I was in for a pound

no.

in for a penny, in for a pound
    Yep 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,943
    ecdanc said:
    My baby fell asleep on me, so I wrote a short piece. I'd like to share it here. 

An allegory:

A man named Steve sees a picture of a golf course. He gets very excited to play golf. So, he visits the local course. There, he is paired with three weekend golfers. They are not great players (no Tiger Woods here), but they play regularly. They’re excited for their round and cordially welcome Steve into their foursome.

As the round begins, it becomes apparent that Steve brought no golf clubs. He did bring one single golf ball, but he also brought a canvas bag containing a pasta strainer, three quarts of motor oil, a bottle of Pert Plus, a daguerreotype of Bobby Jones, and a dog-eared copy of the 1987 MLB rulebook.

Over the next several hours, the three weekend golfers try their best to play a round of golf, while Steve runs around squirting motor oil and shampoo on the tee box, trying to jam his pasta strainer in the ball washer, and furtively consulting the MLB rulebook as he whispers to Bobby Jones. In the midst of these bizarre actions, however, Steve takes the time—at the end of each hole—to drop his ball in the hole and yell “home run!”

The golfers finish their round, despite Steve’s shenanigans, and head off to the clubhouse for some beers. While they are returning their cart, though, Steve accosts them, saying “that was really disappointing; you three suck at golf.” One responds confusedly, “what do you mean?” Steve stares defiantly at the three and declares, “none of you had a single home run. Today was my first time on a golf course and I beat all of you easily. You should be embarrassed.”

With that, Steve marches off, climbs aboard his unicycle, and wobbles off into the sunset.

Groovy, baby!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options

Bernie Knows How to Work with Republicans 

https://youtu.be/9i6qweXt8i4
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

Bernie Knows How to Work with Republicans 

https://youtu.be/9i6qweXt8i4
    Deluded. Repubs don’t know how to work with Bernie. In fact, their leadership doesn’t know how to work with anyone other than a conservative White male with a 1950’s American mindset. 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,227

it’s really the wrong year to make that claim SC. Have you checked your 401k lately?
  • Options

Thats why Rs win. They don’t struggle. They show up with passion to make sure their ideology controls the country.

even if the man on the ballot brags about 15 year old girls. Even if he brags (or jokes) about raping women. Even if he trashes decades old conservative lore like balanced budgets.
  • Options
    ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814

Thats why Rs win. They don’t struggle. They show up with passion to make sure their ideology controls the country.

even if the man on the ballot brags about 15 year old girls. Even if he brags (or jokes) about raping women. Even if he trashes decades old conservative lore like balanced budgets.
    Maybe they win because Democrats say things  like “have you checked your 401k lately?”
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,410
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    I was in for a pound

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,155

I guess despite saying a ton of times. I’m not voting for trump. But if the Bernie is the nominee it’s tough for me to vote FOR him
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    I was in for a pound

Love that scene and the gif
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,002

I guess despite saying a ton of times. I’m not voting for trump. But if the Bernie is the nominee it’s tough for me to vote FOR him
    Cincy, while I understand this position (and I would only vote Sanders as a last resort based on not believing he can execute on his vision in any meaningful way in this political climate), it's worth remembering that in this duopoly, if you choose not to vote Trump, you will be effectively be assisting the Democratic candidate, no matter who that is. Because of that, a conscious decision to not vote (or to vote independent) means you will only have exerted 50% of what you could have to keep Trump out of office.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:

Cincy, while I understand this position (and I would only vote Sanders as a last resort based on not believing he can execute on his vision in any meaningful way in this political climate), it's worth remembering that in this duopoly, if you choose not to vote Trump, you will be effectively be assisting the Democratic candidate, no matter who that is. Because of that, a conscious decision to not vote (or to vote independent) means you will only have exerted 50% of what you could have to keep Trump out of office.
    what I am getting from Cincy, it would be a vote against Trump,  not a vote for an agenda he can get behind. But I gather he would vote D  to axe Trump but that would leave a bad taste....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

As the Democratic presidential candidates make their closing arguments to New Hampshire voters ahead of Tuesday’s primary, the leading contenders traded barbs on the Sunday morning news shows, with former South Bend, Ind., mayor Pete Buttigieg and Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) fending off questions about their vulnerabilities.

Buttigieg, who has faced increasing attacks from his Democratic rivals after effectively tying Sanders for first place in last week’s Iowa caucuses, was asked to respond to a claim by former vice president Joe Biden that “this guy’s not a Barack Obama.

“Well, he’s right. I’m not. And neither is he,” Buttigieg said of Biden on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “Neither is any of us running for president. And this isn’t 2008. It’s 2020. And we are in a new moment calling for a different kind of leadership.”

Buttigieg also responded to Sanders’s attack on him for raising money from wealthy donors.

“Bernie is pretty rich, and I would happily accept a contribution from him,” he said on CNN.

continues

• Options
    Facebook post from Dan Rather

They are counting on despair. That's how they win.

Those who seek to undermine our democracy, to normalize corruption and hate and division... They are counting on despair.

Those who say our votes don't matter, that facts don't matter, that the truth doesn't matter... They are counting on despair.

Those who say there are "real Americans," that we need to go back to a mythic past, that we should close ourselves to the world... They are counting on despair.

Those who would despoil our environment and undermine science... They are counting on despair.

Those who would gaslight, lie, and revel in propaganda... They are counting on despair.

Those who look the other way, make excuses, and normalize autocracy... They are counting on despair.

There is a tendency to feel the despair well up from within, and not recognize it as a weapon being wielded with precision and purpose from without. They are counting on despair.

The greatest leaders in our history knew that despair is toxic to progress. Washington at Valley Forge. Lincoln at Gettysburg. Martin Luther King, Jr. in Birmingham. But more than the famous names are the countless women and men who have fought back against despair in the service of hope, and progress. I have seen it in foxholes, on picket lines, in classrooms, and in midst of natural disasters. I have seen it in the marches, movements, and moments where people rose up and said our world can be better, and we will do the hard work to make it so.

Despair these days is an understandable feeling. Our world seems in many ways upside down. To fight against the odds, against the powerful, against the morally bankrupt, is exhausting. But just remember, they are counting on despair. Will you let them have it?

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Facebook post from Dan Rather

They are counting on despair. That's how they win.

Those who seek to undermine our democracy, to normalize corruption and hate and division... They are counting on despair.

Those who say our votes don't matter, that facts don't matter, that the truth doesn't matter... They are counting on despair.

Those who say there are "real Americans," that we need to go back to a mythic past, that we should close ourselves to the world... They are counting on despair.

Those who would despoil our environment and undermine science... They are counting on despair.

Those who would gaslight, lie, and revel in propaganda... They are counting on despair.

Those who look the other way, make excuses, and normalize autocracy... They are counting on despair.

There is a tendency to feel the despair well up from within, and not recognize it as a weapon being wielded with precision and purpose from without. They are counting on despair.

The greatest leaders in our history knew that despair is toxic to progress. Washington at Valley Forge. Lincoln at Gettysburg. Martin Luther King, Jr. in Birmingham. But more than the famous names are the countless women and men who have fought back against despair in the service of hope, and progress. I have seen it in foxholes, on picket lines, in classrooms, and in midst of natural disasters. I have seen it in the marches, movements, and moments where people rose up and said our world can be better, and we will do the hard work to make it so.

Despair these days is an understandable feeling. Our world seems in many ways upside down. To fight against the odds, against the powerful, against the morally bankrupt, is exhausting. But just remember, they are counting on despair. Will you let them have it?

If Dan Rather said it, it's probably true.  Dan's the man- he's got the frequency, Kenneth.  The man is a treasure and knows his stuff.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited February 2020

I thought about your post here off and on today, Cincy.  I understand your frustration oh so well.

This evening, I was reading the lasted from the Yang folks on the FB page and wished it were not a group deal (though easy enough to sign on) and were more broadly read because the people there are inspired by their candidate and still on fire.  If more people saw this, I think they would be impressed and motivated by a good choice for a change. 

There was some disappointment with Iowa, but no one is throwing in the towel.  We are all excited to have someone we actually LIKE, not just tolerate.   The vibe there is positive and Yang's commitment and drive a super impressive.  I'll vote for whomever the Dems pick in the long run, but right now my money (literally) is on Yang.
    Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,492
    edited February 2020

A vote not for Bernie would be a vote for Trump (if Bernie-boy is the nominee). In 2020. No time to play around. You have a rapist in chief who does negative work when it comes to climate change.

But who knows, maybe it will be Cool Hand Amy VS Trump.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options

it’s really the wrong year to make that claim SC. Have you checked your 401k lately?
    I live in Sweden. I don't know what 401k is (guess it is something to do with yearly taxes). Sounds like a Warhammer expansion.
  • Options

Biden: ‘Poor Kids’ Are Just as Smart as ‘White Kids’

Pete:

• Options
    Bernie should quit whining about Iowa and move on already. Really Bernie, you can’t win coming in second in Iowa? 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Bernie should quit whining about Iowa and move on already. Really Bernie, you can’t win coming in second in Iowa? 

We are going to have an economic revolution and the difference will be two delegates. (Oops)

/s
  • Options
    edited February 2020

We are going to have an economic revolution and the difference will be two delegates. (Oops)

/s
    is it Bernie himself or his campaign manager. Am only seeing this in print or screen shots from twitter posts within a print article.

so not seeing and hearing an interview, you dont know or get the full conversation, you know?

• Options
    Timestamp on when he "whined" about Iowa the most recent?

• Options

https://apple.news/AizHAnpitRHyONtTeS2qU9Q

Brilliantati©
  • Options

https://apple.news/AizHAnpitRHyONtTeS2qU9Q
    what that wapo article describes for the caucus process suggests it needs to be simplified or scrapped entirely. the worksheets seem overcomplicated for the importance placed on the states first in the nation status.

This discussion has been closed.