Options

The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,492
    edited February 2020
    Who are you voting for @ecdanc or are you still holding out for a hero?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,802
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    As I watch the Dems falling apart and attacking each other... I keep struggling with what to do if it’s Trump v Bernie.... man this sucks not having a party that represent you. 
    Aren’t you an upper-middle-class white guy?
    Aren't you?  Median household income is 63k.  Two PhD's in the family and all...
    Yes, I am. And both parties represent my demographic (way more than I want them to). It would be absurd to say otherwise. 
    So what was the point of your question to Cincy?
  • Options
    ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    As I watch the Dems falling apart and attacking each other... I keep struggling with what to do if it’s Trump v Bernie.... man this sucks not having a party that represent you. 
    Aren't you?  Median household income is 63k.  Two PhD's in the family and all...
    Yes, I am. And both parties represent my demographic (way more than I want them to). It would be absurd to say otherwise. 
    To highlight the absurdity of him saying "man this sucks not having a party that represent [sic] you." 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,410
    See how it all shakes out and consider the third party candidates, too. Worst case scenario, you don't have to check a box for President. There are usually some interesting ballot initiatives in Presidential election years amongst the slate of other races.
  • Options
    Who are you voting for @ecdanc or are you still holding out for a hero?
    I would consider voting for Sanders. I would not vote for Trump, Biden, Warren, or Buttigieg. Who have I left out (that might actually be on the November ballot--I'm not registered as a Democrat, so I won't be involved in the primary process)?
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    To highlight the absurdity of him saying "man this sucks not having a party that represent [sic] you." 
    I think that shows the diversity of his perspective,  that it isn't simply cultural or economic. Neither of old white guys represent what I believe either,  regardless of how their policies affect me economically. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    I think that shows the diversity of his perspective,  that it isn't simply cultural or economic. Neither of old white guys represent what I believe either,  regardless of how their policies affect me economically. 
    I think it shows obliviousness to his privilege; and yours, it appears. 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,155
    If you are struggling on that issue, you have already lost.
    Yeah I know, I lose either way in different ways.  That’s the point. 
    No, the point is --  if a man that has double digit rape accusations against him (one from a 13 year old), have no problems to in blackmailing a foreign nation with people in that country dying as a result and (still) wants to hang 5 kids because they are black (even after being found innocent) even is considered an option for you, then something 

https://youtu.be/GdvYHgE_ols

It should not be able to be an option. I don't know how it could.

But for some reason people are falling over to Trump in here, one by one. Like an Agatha Christie novel.
    Oh I am not voting for trump 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    How so? If I was oblivious,  then why wouldn't I vote for Trump?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    What? What are you even saying? Do you actually mean to imply that the only forms of obliviousness in existence would necessarily lead one to vote for Trump?
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    What? What are you even saying? Do you actually mean to imply that the only forms of obliviousness in existence would necessarily lead one to vote for Trump?
    You're rendering the judgment based on the very data point of voting in the general election.  My Lord, stay on point.  
  • Options
    If you are struggling on that issue, you have already lost.
    Yeah I know, I lose either way in different ways.  That’s the point. 
    No, the point is --  if a man that has double digit rape accusations against him (one from a 13 year old), have no problems to in blackmailing a foreign nation with people in that country dying as a result and (still) wants to hang 5 kids because they are black (even after being found innocent) even is considered an option for you, then something 

https://youtu.be/GdvYHgE_ols

It should not be able to be an option. I don't know how it could.

But for some reason people are falling over to Trump in here, one by one. Like an Agatha Christie novel.
    Oh I am not voting for trump 

Good!

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    You're rendering the judgment based on the very data point of voting in the general election.  My Lord, stay on point.  
    As luck would have it, my ideology is the only true path to righteousness 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    What in the holy hell are you talking about? Like usually I can track your misunderstanding, but I literally have no idea what point you think you're responding to. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    What in the holy hell are you talking about? Like usually I can track your misunderstanding, but I literally have no idea what point you think you're responding to. 
    You're being intentionally obtuse here.  You've declared that I'm oblivious to my privilege based on the fact that I understand what Cincy means by no one represents his values.  Then you go off on "forms of obliviousness in existence".  What does that have to do with argument about the values/policies gap between Trump and Bernie?  Nothing at all.  So try to stay on point.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    That is very fortunate for you.  And it makes it super easy to judge, knowing you're infallible in that judgment.  Congratulations.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    You're being intentionally obtuse here.  You've declared that I'm oblivious to my privilege based on the fact that I understand what Cincy means by no one represents his values.  Then you go off on "forms of obliviousness in existence".  What does that have to do with argument about the values/policies gap between Trump and Bernie?  Nothing at all.  So try to stay on point.
    I wish I thought you were being *intentionally* obtuse. I told you the statement I found absurd, but I'll clarify. An upper-middle-class white guy would have to have his head really far up his own ass to think that the two major US parties don't represent him. While lodging head squarely in his own ass, this upper-middle-class white guy manages to avoid seeing the large number of people who aren't represented by the two major parties. This neck-deep-in-butt-cheeks fella reeks of privilege because he mistakes his policy disagreements for not being "represented." 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    I wish I thought you were being *intentionally* obtuse. I told you the statement I found absurd, but I'll clarify. An upper-middle-class white guy would have to have his head really far up his own ass to think that the two major US parties don't represent him. While lodging head squarely in his own ass, this upper-middle-class white guy manages to avoid seeing the large number of people who aren't represented by the two major parties. This neck-deep-in-butt-cheeks fella reeks of privilege because he mistakes his policy disagreements for not being "represented." 
    He didn't say the parties didn't represent his views, he's speaking of the individual candidates; Bernie and Trump.  I think that was crystal clear in his post.  I don't know how you didn't understand that distinction.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    He didn't say the parties didn't represent his views, he's speaking of the individual candidates; Bernie and Trump.  I think that was crystal clear in his post.  I don't know how you didn't understand that distinction.  
    He literally said "not having a party that represent [sic] you." Ironically, in your effort to defend him (??) or maybe just to "win," you're actually undermining the point he made (such as it is). Funny enough, I think I'm being more generous with my reading of his post than you are! 
  • Options
    You using Bernies first name reveal you are all warming up to him <3 
  • Options
    Ah ... mr Brady continues his assault on the internet messageboards!

if trump is the rhe Republican candidate and Bernie is the dmeocrat, the parties don’t represent me. They each do in ways but it would be getting smaller and smaller. I keep wanting to run to the Dems due to the Republican bullshit, but the Dems keep moving away. Well if they nominate Bernie.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    You need to stop these posts. You call people names, label them, then you say this about them in a way that tries to hide the direct bullshit you spew. It’s a tired game that others around here play from time to time. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    He literally said "not having a party that represent [sic] you." Ironically, in your effort to defend him (??) or maybe just to "win," you're actually undermining the point he made (such as it is). Funny enough, I think I'm being more generous with my reading of his post than you are! 
    His point was clear, and he just reinforced what I said. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    That is very fortunate for you.  And it makes it super easy to judge, knowing you're infallible in that judgment.  Congratulations.  
    I think I may have laid it on a little too thick
  • Options
    Where does the republican "they can't run an election in Iowa -- how will they be able to change the health care system?" originate from? Seen it from several places now, Trump being one of them.

They are good at going all in on the same punchlines. 
  • Options
    My baby fell asleep on me, so I wrote a short piece. I'd like to share it here. 

An allegory:

A man named Steve sees a picture of a golf course. He gets very excited to play golf. So, he visits the local course. There, he is paired with three weekend golfers. They are not great players (no Tiger Woods here), but they play regularly. They’re excited for their round and cordially welcome Steve into their foursome.

As the round begins, it becomes apparent that Steve brought no golf clubs. He did bring one single golf ball, but he also brought a canvas bag containing a pasta strainer, three quarts of motor oil, a bottle of Pert Plus, a daguerreotype of Bobby Jones, and a dog-eared copy of the 1987 MLB rulebook.

Over the next several hours, the three weekend golfers try their best to play a round of golf, while Steve runs around squirting motor oil and shampoo on the tee box, trying to jam his pasta strainer in the ball washer, and furtively consulting the MLB rulebook as he whispers to Bobby Jones. In the midst of these bizarre actions, however, Steve takes the time—at the end of each hole—to drop his ball in the hole and yell “home run!”

The golfers finish their round, despite Steve’s shenanigans, and head off to the clubhouse for some beers. While they are returning their cart, though, Steve accosts them, saying “that was really disappointing; you three suck at golf.” One responds confusedly, “what do you mean?” Steve stares defiantly at the three and declares, “none of you had a single home run. Today was my first time on a golf course and I beat all of you easily. You should be embarrassed.”

With that, Steve marches off, climbs aboard his unicycle, and wobbles off into the sunset.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,040
    Where does the republican "they can't run an election in Iowa -- how will they be able to change the health care system?" originate from? Seen it from several places now, Trump being one of them.

The Iowa Caucuses from last week. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Cute. But not an answer to my question.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    I think I may have laid it on a little too thick
    I thought you were kidding
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Cute. But not an answer to my question.
    That's a serious answer.  It's because of the Iowa issues
This discussion has been closed.