Options

Where would you rather live the US or Sweden

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,800
    always with the handout......

sell your polluting garbage elsewhere....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,964
    edited July 2019
    Anywhere other than planet earth
    Money cant be the reason to live anywhere. There  are good and bad jobs  everywhere.  I say im very much in favour of mickeys work ethic and will power. Can we please be kind to eachother  this all keeps getting so negative  on every  single thread.  Sad to see
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    Sweden
    Sad and annoying to say the least! 
    I‘m seriously impressed you were able to turn your life around, Mickey! That couldn’t have been easy and I hope you enjoy your new lease on life!
    I honestly believe it would have been able in a lot of countries, but that’s not the point. It’s also not an insult when someone asks why you’re uncertain if it would have been possible somewhere else. No idea what koolaid is though.
    just calm down everyone!
  • Options
    getting sober can happen anywhere in many ways.

the earning a living part was the question for me.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    U.S.A.
    JPPJ84 said:
    I‘m starting to think I missed the point of this thread, if it ever truly had one... wtf are you people on about?!
    It’s an American thing to always claim superiority over everyone else , I’ve lived here since 1971 this country has been great to my family but for my retirement I’m headed back to Chile 🇨🇱 ..
    It appears to be a Swedish thing too. And just about every country I’ve visited as well.  

Why Chile? I’ve never been. Why have you picked it?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    JPPJ84 said:
    I‘m starting to think I missed the point of this thread, if it ever truly had one... wtf are you people on about?!
    It’s an American thing to always claim superiority over everyone else , I’ve lived here since 1971 this country has been great to my family but for my retirement I’m headed back to Chile 🇨🇱 ..
    It appears to be a Swedish thing too. And just about every country I’ve visited as well.  

na·tion·al·ism
    /ˈnaSH(ə)nəˌlizəm/
    noun
    noun: nationalism; plural noun: nationalisms
    identification with one's own nation and support for its interests, especially to the exclusion or detriment of the interests of other nations.

It's a sorry trait of many people in many places.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    drank and drugged my way to homelessness almost 14 yrs ago now. 13 yrs later I went from 8.50 an hour at my first job in sobriety to now likely grossing 95k this year. AND in an industry I have always wanted to be in but couldnt cuz of the drinky drink.... will close out the year with 1 million miles driven professionally, all states from Minnesota south to eastern  Texas and all points east with the exception of Florida. Freight sucks in Florida.

I was fortunate to have been born where I was..... not sure that kind of turn around is probable many other places......
    I get this is the big koolaiddrinking pitch about the US. But why wouldn't it be?

interesting, its written to be open that I may be wrong. Acknowledges other places may have a similar track available(not having researched ,I wouldnt know. going off my experience) and isnt absolute in any of its sentiment. but somehow its seen as koolaid drinking. 

Your obessive hatred of this country is quite evident. Let it go. And put your energy into getting laid. Seriously. Relieve some tension.
    I’m sorry but I’ve been watching all these threads and I don’t get the snippy attitude towards SC at all or maybe I just don’t get it what has he done to anyone here ? And please I’m not looking for an argument or to have any threads closed ..
    maybe im the problem around here ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:

My birth place my roots are tugging at my emotional state as I get older ...
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Henry Rollins talks about really liking Santiago, Chile and discovering some cool bands from there like La Hell Gang and Föllakzoid.
    It really is a great city but with that comes good & bad as with any major cities , I’d prefer way up north or down south the lake region after all we have over 2thousand miles of pacific coast line ..
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    brianlux said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Henry Rollins talks about really liking Santiago, Chile and discovering some cool bands from there like La Hell Gang and Föllakzoid.
    It really is a great city but with that comes good & bad as with any major cities , I’d prefer way up north or down south the lake region after all we have over 2thousand miles of pacific coast line ..
    Nice!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    U.S.A.
    Renfield said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Renfield said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    It's hard to generalize. I'd rather live in my state, than in Sweden. But I'd rather live in Sweden than anywhere in the dirty south. So wasn't exactly sure how to answer. In my state I can get beer, wine and liquor in every grocery store, and get weed legally from my corner pot shop, so I'm all set. Couldn't do that in Sweden or the dirty south.
    Seattle's a good place, even with the homeless problem. It's a fair bit like Vancouver, so I feel at home there. If I had to live in the USA and could choose where, my only two choices would be Seattle and NYC.
    Only 2 choices in the entire USA? Seems weird. I guess it’s probably you just don’t know enough.

If I had to move to Canada, I don’t know enough to know where to move and where not  to. 

I would think that Toronto and Vancouver would top my list. The east coast area would intrigue me. Montreal area would be pretty low on the list as well as remote areas.
    I don’t think I would ever want to live “in” Seattle or NYC.  East of Seattle somewhere in the mountains definitely and maybe somewhere close to NYC with a lot fewer people.  I’ve never actually been to NYC, but I hear it is dirty and smelly...Seattle was somewhat that way last time I visited.
    I'm definitely a city mouse. NYC isn't dirty. It used to be apparently, but Ghouliani cleaned it up well, I'll give him that. I was impressed when I went there. A very beautiful city IMO. Now, of course their garbage pick up system is that all the garbage goes out onto the sidewalks throughout the day, and is picked up every night. This is because there is no other option. There are few back alleys in NYC, and most of them are fenced off (with barbed wire at the top of the fences) to prevent crime from happening in them, and to keep people from sleeping in them. So yeah, at least in warm weather, you can smell the garbage ... For me though, everything else that NYC offers easily offsets that minor (to me) issue. I do make a point of warning people who are going there and have never been though. I think seeing all that garbage out on the sidewalks can be a bit of shock if you weren't aware that is how it's done.
    I’d love to visit there sometime, but I’m definitely not a city mouse.  I wanted to be when I was younger, but the appeal is not there for me anymore.  I actually thought Chicago was a nice city when I visited and liked how most of their city operations were done underground.  Chicago was fun in the day and frightening at night...it was like all the crazy from the underground came out once the sun went down.
    I laughed out loud reading “I’ve never actually been to NYC, but I hear it is dirty and smelly”  NYC has a lot more to offer than dirt and smells.
    If you ever have an interest to visit a big city with an extensive list of cultural events, top museums, endless amounts of bars & restaurants, NYC is one of the world’s leading metropolises for art, fashion, food and theater, plus a whole lot more.
    Yes, there is a ton of garbage generated in NYC (about 12,000 tons a day). During the day, the Dept. of Sanitation picks all the trash up from NYC residents. At night, private waste removal services come for the trash generated by businesses. But don’t let that deter you, it’s a wonderful, exciting place to visit.
    Can you guess where I live?
    I’ll take a local’s word for it :). Definitely a place I want to visit some day for the cultural significance.
    And it would be my pleasure to show you around the big 🍎 
    Well thanks for the offer :). A PJ loving tour guide would be excellent!

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    U.S.A.
    PJPOWER said:
    Renfield said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Renfield said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    It's hard to generalize. I'd rather live in my state, than in Sweden. But I'd rather live in Sweden than anywhere in the dirty south. So wasn't exactly sure how to answer. In my state I can get beer, wine and liquor in every grocery store, and get weed legally from my corner pot shop, so I'm all set. Couldn't do that in Sweden or the dirty south.
    Seattle's a good place, even with the homeless problem. It's a fair bit like Vancouver, so I feel at home there. If I had to live in the USA and could choose where, my only two choices would be Seattle and NYC.
    Only 2 choices in the entire USA? Seems weird. I guess it’s probably you just don’t know enough.

If I had to move to Canada, I don’t know enough to know where to move and where not  to. 

I would think that Toronto and Vancouver would top my list. The east coast area would intrigue me. Montreal area would be pretty low on the list as well as remote areas.
    I don’t think I would ever want to live “in” Seattle or NYC.  East of Seattle somewhere in the mountains definitely and maybe somewhere close to NYC with a lot fewer people.  I’ve never actually been to NYC, but I hear it is dirty and smelly...Seattle was somewhat that way last time I visited.
    I'm definitely a city mouse. NYC isn't dirty. It used to be apparently, but Ghouliani cleaned it up well, I'll give him that. I was impressed when I went there. A very beautiful city IMO. Now, of course their garbage pick up system is that all the garbage goes out onto the sidewalks throughout the day, and is picked up every night. This is because there is no other option. There are few back alleys in NYC, and most of them are fenced off (with barbed wire at the top of the fences) to prevent crime from happening in them, and to keep people from sleeping in them. So yeah, at least in warm weather, you can smell the garbage ... For me though, everything else that NYC offers easily offsets that minor (to me) issue. I do make a point of warning people who are going there and have never been though. I think seeing all that garbage out on the sidewalks can be a bit of shock if you weren't aware that is how it's done.
    I’d love to visit there sometime, but I’m definitely not a city mouse.  I wanted to be when I was younger, but the appeal is not there for me anymore.  I actually thought Chicago was a nice city when I visited and liked how most of their city operations were done underground.  Chicago was fun in the day and frightening at night...it was like all the crazy from the underground came out once the sun went down.
    I laughed out loud reading “I’ve never actually been to NYC, but I hear it is dirty and smelly”  NYC has a lot more to offer than dirt and smells.
    If you ever have an interest to visit a big city with an extensive list of cultural events, top museums, endless amounts of bars & restaurants, NYC is one of the world’s leading metropolises for art, fashion, food and theater, plus a whole lot more.
    Yes, there is a ton of garbage generated in NYC (about 12,000 tons a day). During the day, the Dept. of Sanitation picks all the trash up from NYC residents. At night, private waste removal services come for the trash generated by businesses. But don’t let that deter you, it’s a wonderful, exciting place to visit.
    I’ll take a local’s word for it :). Definitely a place I want to visit some day for the cultural significance.

Yeah nyc is a place everyone should experience once in their lifetime.  It really is an amazing city, so much energy everywhere.  Next time pj plays nyc you should go.  

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Renfield said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Renfield said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:

Yeah nyc is a place everyone should experience once in their lifetime.  It really is an amazing city, so much energy everywhere.  Next time pj plays nyc you should go.  

It’s sure a great city to get food and drink after a show.  You can find a great meal even at midnight. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Renfield said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Renfield said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:

I would definitely hit up a MSG show!  Thing is, outside of the concerts, the large city crowds and the hustle that big city dwellers love so much just annoys me anymore.  I’d much rather be out in the peaceful open country or mountains for vacations these days.  I like goofing around in Vegas from time to time, but am always ready to get back to my quieter abode. I didn’t feel that way in my 20s, but the city life appeals less and less the older I get.
    The traffic, the noise, the sewage smell, the long waits everywhere...no thanks!

Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    U.S.A.
    @PJPOWER I totally agree with you, love the mountains much more than the city.  Except for a pj show, rangers/knicks game or maybe a broadway play, I really don’t see myself ever going into Manhattan again. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    U.S.A.
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Renfield said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Renfield said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:

I would definitely hit up a MSG show!  Thing is, outside of the concerts, the large city crowds and the hustle that big city dwellers love so much just annoys me anymore.  I’d much rather be out in the peaceful open country or mountains for vacations these days.  I like goofing around in Vegas from time to time, but am always ready to get back to my quieter abode. I didn’t feel that way in my 20s, but the city life appeals less and less the older I get.
    The traffic, the noise, the sewage smell, the long waits everywhere...no thanks!

So there we have it, next time PJ plays NYC we’ll have a grand ol’ meetup! As @mcgruff10 says NYC is worth at least 1 visit. 
    Just beware of how difficult tickets are to come by if you don’t win the 10C lottery. In 2016, I only won N1 at MSG, paid over $300 for N2. And in 2013, I only went to N1 at Barclays and paid more than $300 (for not great seats)😩 But then again, I wasn’t really aware of getting tickets here or on the FB groups for face value yet.
    @PJPOWER, we’ll ask sanitation to please keep all garbage off the streets while you are in town :)

• Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    I find it funny that so many can easily and quickly answer this question. Even though many have never even traveled outside their own country.. How can you have an honest opinion? It's like asking for a review of movies to someone that has only ever seen 1... Coke or Pepsi to someone that has only ever tasted one... 
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,021
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    myoung321 said:
    I find it funny that so many can easily and quickly answer this question. Even though many have never even traveled outside their own country.. How can you have an honest opinion? It's like asking for a review of movies to someone that has only ever seen 1... Coke or Pepsi to someone that has only ever tasted one... 
    Well, what if one of the sodas had health care as a human right and the other soda had 50% of the population voting for Donald Trump?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    Renfield said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Renfield said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Renfield said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:

So there we have it, next time PJ plays NYC we’ll have a grand ol’ meetup! As @mcgruff10 says NYC is worth at least 1 visit. 
    Just beware of how difficult tickets are to come by if you don’t win the 10C lottery. In 2016, I only won N1 at MSG, paid over $300 for N2. And in 2013, I only went to N1 at Barclays and paid more than $300 (for not great seats)😩 But then again, I wasn’t really aware of getting tickets here or on the FB groups for face value yet.
    @PJPOWER, we’ll ask sanitation to please keep all garbage off the streets while you are in town :)

Excellent, and I practice a strict “no littering” policy :)

• Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    Way to go Mickey rat.
    I drive a truck to.  My company just put me into a new truck in February, (automatic) 2019 Kenworth.  It had 150 miles on it when I got in it, it now has 45,000 miles on it.
    I hated it at first especially in snowy slippery conditions, but now I love it.  Especially when I get into stop and go traffic, or a road that's got a ton of stop lights, while everybody is shifting and shifting and shifting I'm sippin on my coffee.  So now I'm just a professional steering wheel holder. =)
    I am not over the road, I drive a day cab.
    I drive Wisconsin Illinois Indiana Michigan, and I'm home every night make about 70K/yr.  Sometimes they put me in a sleeper for a two-day run to Ohio or Oklahoma but usually I do my home every night routine.
    And I'm glad to hear your story and about how you got your life turned around.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    JPPJ84 said:

Not really a swedish thing.

Saying that Sweden is by pretty much all metrics concerning the well being of its citizens (and the environment) a better country than the US isn't claiming superiority to claim superiority. It's stating basic common sense, backed up by statistics and facts (I know with US schools removing teaching of evolution, Trump being president and Fox News being the biggest news channel that "facts" is a subjective thing in the US, but I think you understand)

Or is claiming that the US is a better country than North Korea count as claiming 
    superiority just because, also?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    mickeyrat said:
    getting sober can happen anywhere in many ways.

the earning a living part was the question for me.....
    There are jobs in other countries than the US. E.g. In Sweden.

Inspiring and great that you turned your life around. Out of curiosity, what is your profession?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    U.S.A.
    JPPJ84 said:

Saying that Sweden is by pretty much all metrics concerning the well being of its citizens (and the environment) a better country than the US isn't claiming superiority to claim superiority. It's stating basic common sense, backed up by statistics and facts (I know with US schools removing teaching of evolution, Trump being president and Fox News being the biggest news channel that "facts" is a subjective thing in the US, but I think you understand)

Or is claiming that the US is a better country than North Korea count as claiming superiority just because, also?
    That's weird.  Mcgruff posted data that contradicts your post 
  • Options
    RYME said:
    Way to go Mickey rat.
    I drive a truck to.  My company just put me into a new truck in February, (automatic) 2019 Kenworth.  It had 150 miles on it when I got in it, it now has 45,000 miles on it.
    I hated it at first especially in snowy slippery conditions, but now I love it.  Especially when I get into stop and go traffic, or a road that's got a ton of stop lights, while everybody is shifting and shifting and shifting I'm sippin on my coffee.  So now I'm just a professional steering wheel holder. =)
    And I'm glad to hear your story and how you got your life turned around.
    DUUUUUDE.  My first morning rush hour going through Indy on 465 sold me.

• Options
    U.S.A.
    RYME said:
    Way to go Mickey rat.
    I drive Wisconsin Illinois Indiana Michigan, and I'm home every night make about 70K/yr.  Sometimes they put me in a sleeper for a two-day run to Ohio or Oklahoma but usually I do my home every night routine.
    I edited again. Just move it down a bit
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    drank and drugged my way to homelessness almost 14 yrs ago now. 13 yrs later I went from 8.50 an hour at my first job in sobriety to now likely grossing 95k this year. AND in an industry I have always wanted to be in but couldnt cuz of the drinky drink.... will close out the year with 1 million miles driven professionally, all states from Minnesota south to eastern  Texas and all points east with the exception of Florida. Freight sucks in Florida.

I was fortunate to have been born where I was..... not sure that kind of turn around is probable many other places......
    I get this is the big koolaiddrinking pitch about the US. But why wouldn't it be?

interesting, its written to be open that I may be wrong. Acknowledges other places may have a similar track available(not having researched ,I wouldnt know. going off my experience) and isnt absolute in any of its sentiment. but somehow its seen as koolaid drinking. 

Your obessive hatred of this country is quite evident. Let it go. And put your energy into getting laid. Seriously. Relieve some tension.
    I’m sorry but I’ve been watching all these threads and I don’t get the snippy attitude towards SC at all or maybe I just don’t get it what has he done to anyone here ? And please I’m not looking for an argument or to have any threads closed ..
    so you dont see its giving as good as we're getting?

Theres a reason Agnes said no.......

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    U.S.A.
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Eye for an eye... no New Testament crap around here. 
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I agree with mickeyrat, sc needs to get laid and take some Pepto-Bismol.  Good night nurse ( as my grandma used to say)
    No matter what people talk about that is good sc will take it twist it and make it negative (via Kool-Aid drinkers)
  • Options
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    JPPJ84 said:

Or is claiming that the US is a better country than North Korea count as claiming superiority just because, also?
    That's weird.  Mcgruff posted data that contradicts your post 
    Yeah, odd how that was ignored...
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    Way to go Mickey rat.
    I edited again. Just move it down a bit
    Used to be otr. now I run ltl linehaul nights . We have a footprint in those states as well as 10 others.

Our logo is blue and orange with white lettering. White cabs and  white trailers w/ orange roll up doors. Big waving flag toward the nose.....

your KW which model?
    I'm now in a 2015 T680. just turned 507K. P+D  days , linehaul nights. Getting their moneys worth..... stepped out of a 2017 prostar. Basic seats suck!!!! Kdub has a premium seat. heated too!!!
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

This discussion has been closed.